PDA

View Full Version : Viewing, Voting & Reviewing - A Discussion

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 12:48 PM
I figured I would start this now.

How do people plan on viewing, voting & reviewing all of these horror entries?

I plan on watching every single film, and reviewing each film. Generally the voting period is about a week to ten days. I think we should extend that to two weeks at least. I plan on viewing each film, going alphabetically (by title). Then I will vote on the films. Then I will go rewatch each one, and write a detailed review after watching. I plan on posting a review for EVERY film, but some may come AFTER the voting period ends, as there are bound to be TONS of films to view and review...

Just thought I'd share my method for this fest... :thumbsup:

Matt Sconce
09-26-2006, 12:56 PM
I figured I would start this now.

How do people plan on viewing, voting & reviewing all of these horror entries?

I plan on watching every single film, and reviewing each film. Generally the voting period is about a week to ten days. I think we should extend that to two weeks at least. I plan on viewing each film, going alphabetically (by title). Then I will vote on the films. Then I will go rewatch each one, and write a detailed review after watching. I plan on posting a review for EVERY film, but some may come AFTER the voting period ends, as there are bound to be TONS of films to view and review...

Just thought I'd share my method for this fest... :thumbsup:

I plan to watch the films that have put up banners, and threads first in order of my interest. I will then vote on them and write reviews on the ones I have something to say about. I think if someone went through the time to make a nice thread, they deserve to have their film watched. After that, I will watch the rest and vote, and then if time permits, i will write more reviews.

Cynic821
09-26-2006, 12:58 PM
and how is voting conducted, why cant i find any info about this?

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 01:00 PM
and how is voting conducted, why cant i find any info about this?

Do not worry, in time, more info will be posted. This is only to discuss how we plan on voting, meaning, which films we'll view first, when will we post reviews, etc.

Jazz Dog
09-26-2006, 01:28 PM
I figure since I am entering a film it is the least I can do to watch every film and vote on every film. Looking forward to it too! I know I am not a biggie poster around here and my graphic art skills are nil but I am happy to hear how Brandon is voting and hope everyone does the same. It would be a shame if this turned out to be a popularity contest because I think the quiet peeps might come up with some freaky stuff......
Have fun.

Cynic821
09-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Im afraid it will turn into a popularity contest as well the way the voting went in the last hero fest contest, i wasnt around to watch those when it happened so i cant give my opinion on the placing though...

i guess all i can do is to continue doin what im doin, which is making my vision of my flick and hope that people watch it and vote for it. I think it will be very unique and distinct from the others, but so far there is minimal interest in the Individual Films forum...i can already see the top few post getter topics in there taking the top spots , no one is interested in the others unless its something like MOVIE MASTERS thread.

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Im afraid it will turn into a popularity contest as well the way the voting went in the last hero fest contest, i wasnt around to watch those when it happened so i cant give my opinion on the placing though...

i guess all i can do is to continue doin what im doin, which is making my vision of my flick and hope that people watch it and vote for it. I think it will be very unique and distinct from the others, but so far there is minimal interest in the Individual Films forum...i can already see the top few post getter topics in there taking the top spots , no one is interested in the others unless its something like MOVIE MASTERS thread.

I disagree with this sentiment. I believe that most everyone here attempts to view each and every film and vote as objectively as possible.

I don't think the views or replies to the individual threads right now mean a whole lot. It only means that people will expect more, and that's not always good...

Cynic821
09-26-2006, 01:52 PM
It means that those movies will most likely be put on the top of everyones viewing list though, and bumping time away from others who might not get watched in time. Alot of people just generally dont have the time to watch every movie. Ive probably got only 4 hours free each day for my own time, which i will spend watching as many as i can, im just lucky that i have a great job and ill easily be able to fit in watching a ton of em while at work.

n8ture
09-26-2006, 01:54 PM
I plan on watching every film. For me, this whole thing has been a great learning experience and I know I can learn something from everyone's film. So, I plan on burning the midnight oil. :)

Cynic821
09-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Im gunna need about 2 days of sleep before i can actually burn any more oil after this week, the price of starting late.

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 02:04 PM
It means that those movies will most likely be put on the top of everyones viewing list though, and bumping time away from others who might not get watched in time.

I disagree... because as films are watched, reviews, good or bad, will start coming in, and if your films good, it'll start getting lots of views...

Plus, think about it... each film is 6 min. long or less, meaning in one hour you can watch 10. If we have about 80-100 entries, that means it will only take you 8-10 hours to watch all of them. I am sure we can all find that time in the course of two weeks time.

Jazz Dog
09-26-2006, 02:04 PM
I didn't mean to stir anything up. I think it will be a fair vote and there is a reason for PR and hype and I think that is why they wanted to set it up that way. Promotion is important. I worked hard on my film and pissed my wife off a lot so hopefully people will enjoy it....

Matt Sconce
09-26-2006, 02:05 PM
I plan on watching every film. For me, this whole thing has been a great learning experience and I know I can learn something from everyone's film. So, I plan on burning the midnight oil. :)

I agree, but I definitely do give watching priority to the people who have kept me informed and involved me in the movie making process, with a thread. If they have not, then I will watch their films, just after the ones who have taken the time to help me learn with their thread.

This contest included the rule that you could advertise. That was a HUGE opportunity to get people excited about your film. If people chose not to use that opportunity, then that was their choice, but they cannot blame the community for not eagerly anticipating its release.

I desperately hope that the voters actually vote for every film on their scorecard, because in the last contest some AMAZING films did not even make the top 15, and I think it was because people simply did not vote for them on their sheet. Vote for every film so this can be a fair an awesome process for all! If you leave a movie blank, then it is like they received a zero in everything in comparison to the ones you voted on. They will not be given a zero, but they will be given "No Points" since you gave them none, which comes out to the same thing.

Cynic821
09-26-2006, 02:17 PM
It seems people are too busy getting excited about other films to get excited about ones without posts in them for days.

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 02:19 PM
It seems people are too busy getting excited about other films to get excited about ones without posts in them for days.

All that won't matter once the films are up, then the films speak for themselves... also as Matt said, it's the responsibility of the filmmaker to keep the "buzz" going for their film... as this is an added part of the competition now...

Grant
I was unable to enter this competition, however, i am excited about seeing what every one has created. I plan on watching all of the entries. However I will warn you now, as a somewhat self proclaimed Horror film Fanatic... I have very high standards. Not necessarily for the content, but definitely for the quality, skill and over all presentation of the film.

GC

Brandon Rice
I was unable to enter this competition, however, i am excited about seeing what every one has created. I plan on watching all of the entries. However I will warn you now, as a somewhat self proclaimed Horror film Fanatic... I have very high standards. Not necessarily for the content, but definitely for the quality, skill and over all presentation of the film.

GC

Looking forward to your reviews :thumbsup:

Cynic821
09-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Being the only one posting in your movies thread is weak, and a downer

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Being the only one posting in your movies thread is weak, and a downer

If you post updates, that's fine, and more importantly people like it! People read updates, but don't always comment... I know I do that.

Cynic821
09-26-2006, 02:26 PM
I dont think youve ever read a thread and not commented Brandon. ;)

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 02:27 PM

hehe. Believe it or not, I have :) I am a FAST reader! :) Anyway... I hope the point was not lost... and let's get back to talking about viewing, reviewing, & voting methods... :thumbsup:

Matt Sconce
09-26-2006, 02:27 PM

hahahahaha Bricemanning at its best I say! :thumbup:

cinealma
09-26-2006, 02:29 PM
... I worked hard on my film and pissed my wife off a lot so hopefully people will enjoy it....

Don't you know it!
...Oh, sh*t, I still have to wash the blood spatter off the ceiling! :shocked:

No, really, my wfie has been EXCEPTIONAL throughout the whole thing, AND A BIG, BIG HELP.

I desperately hope that the voters actually vote for every film on their scorecard, because in the last contest some AMAZING films did not even make the top 15, and I think it was because people simply did not vote for them on their sheet. Vote for every film so this can be a fair an awesome process for all! If you leave a movie blank, then it is like they received a zero in everything in comparison to the ones you voted on. They will not be given a zero, but they will be given "No Points" since you gave them none, which comes out to the same thing.

Winning an HVX would be nice, but I used this festival as a deadline to get my ass up and do something! This is my first REAL film. I hope that I can place a good number, but just to have people taking a look at my little film and getting some constructive feedback is what it's all about.

I'm not here to criticize the powers that be. I mean, nothing has OFFICIALLY been announced as far as the voting process. But I do agree the current process needs to be revised, especially with SO MANY films involved.

And the thought of somebody watching less than all the films and those films that he/she didn't watch automatically score zeros, well, that feels far from fair.

BUT...

with the way this contest was set up, ESPECIALLY with the promotion aspect, what you have here is an honest to God REAL LIFE situation.

The scenario is this: all these films are being released on the same day. And whomever takes the box office is probably going to win. That's about as industry as you can get. Hopefully, you promoted your ass off!

John G.

Matt Sconce
09-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Don't you know it!

No, really, my wfie has been EXCEPTIONAL throughout the whole thing, AND A BIG, BIG HELP.

Winning an HVX would be nice, but I used this festival as a deadline to get my ass up and do something! This is my first REAL film. I hope that I can place a good number, but just to have people taking a look at my little film and getting some constructive feedback is what it's all about.

I'm not here to criticize the powers that be. I mean, nothing has OFFICIALLY been announced as far as the voting process. But I do agree the current process needs to be revised, especially with SO MANY films involved.

And the thought of somebody watching less than all the films and those films that he/she didn't watch automatically score zeros, well, that feels far from fair.

BUT...

with the way this contest was set up, ESPECIALLY with the promotion aspect, what you have here is an honest to God REAL LIFE situation.

The scenario is this: all these films are being released on the same day. And whomever takes the box office is probably going to win. That's about as industry as you can get. Hopefully, you promoted your ass off!

John G.

Excellent point! :thumbup:

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 02:34 PM

Absolutely! The Sci-Fest earlier this year made me get serious about making films, and I haven't stopped since... it spurred me on to even greater things! :)

cinealma
09-26-2006, 02:35 PM

I don't know why, but that's funny! :grin:

John G.

MOVIE MASTER
09-26-2006, 02:37 PM
I Plan To Watch All The Films !
Then Vote

Cynic821
09-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Don't you know it!

BUT...

John G.

IMO thats just aweful. Thats like entering the olympics and not getting a medal because no one watches your event.

Jason Ramsey
09-26-2006, 02:51 PM
I think being able to do a little pr and hyping up your film is an awesome idea.

I also believe that extending the viewing/voting period would be a good idea. It seems (although I cannot compare to past fests) that there are more entries this go round. Even if not, there are a lot (However many end up getting actually submitted on time). Anyways, that does seem like a good idea. Maybe that will be best judged when all of the submissions are in, and the powers can be can make a realistic assessment of how long the viewing/voting period needs to be, to encourage the greatest number of films watched, reviewed and voted on as possible by each person.
10 an hour seems a bit unrealistic, however. Keep in mind that you still have to download those flicks before you can watch them. Unless I am not understanding how that part of the process is going to work.
Anyways, I am looking at 512k satellite internet out here in the boondockies which translates to roughly 4 megs/min. download speed. I would like to view as many as possible.
Anyways, I would just like to say, as a first time observer in the fests here on dvxuser, that I think for the most part, it was set up very well. I look forward to being able to participate in the next one.
Assessing the voting period length once all submissions are in, I think would be a really good thing. Find the best balance, to allow everyone to watch as many films as possible, so people get ample airtime, not just the one's that are garnering early notoriety. There's always those sleeper hits that win oscars (or in this case hvx's) :)
That's my 2 cents.... err looking back maybe 10 cents

Jason

Charli
09-26-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm actually with Matt on this one. If you took the time to promote your flick,
yeah, I'm going to watch it. If you spent absolutely no effort to let me know
you are out there, I will watch it when the dvd comes out.

If you are interested, and I mean INTERESTED in filmmaking and want to make
a go of it, then don't sit there quietly,

STAND UP

and get noticed. So for every banner plugged and every individual who put up
screen grabs and such, yeah, I WILL watch your film and I WILL vote for you
one way or another.

So yeah, Jack, mascone, theatre, brandon, and the rest, your efforts are noticed
because, well, you made an effort. Is it any different in a film festival? You think
people will watch your short just because you're there?

Good job on those who have finished and keep plugging for those who have
not. Good luck to everyone.

Cynic821
09-26-2006, 02:59 PM
I cant imagine a contest where all the movies are not viewed. The idea of it being ok to vote without having watched every movie is rediculous in my opinion. I always thought a set of judges who are not participating would be best.

As far as projects go that involve multiple DVXUser's on here, they are already going to get multiple votes for their movie, as well as being able to evenly strategize their voting to make sure even if they all agree on a movie being the winner, they can all vote for a different one as a favorite, so the best competition doesnt get the true votes they would think...

Call me a Cynic if you want, but unfortunatly, especially as dood stated earlier, this is as REAL as it gets. And if you think it being real is good, then stuff like i mentioned comes along with it.

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Is it any different in a film festival? You think
people will watch your short just because you're there?

Great point! Promotion at a film festival is a huge deal. I agree 100% with what you said...

Beat Takeshi
09-26-2006, 03:21 PM
I think for every contest I tried to watch them all and only the sci fi fest was the only one I was able to since it didn't have as many entries. Brandon, you forgot to add download times into your math. It will take twice that amount of time to get them and view. I agree with cynic about the voting on the last contest, it seemed a popularity contest and no numbers were ever produced that time even though everyone asked for them. It was nice to see where people thought you were weakest so you could work on that with the previous contest when all the numbers were produced. I usually view in the order they show up in the link to make it fair and so i can keep track of where I'm up to.

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Ah true Aram, I didn't take into account voting time... Very true. BTW: Sci-fest had over 60 entries... I think we'll see that, or a little more this time around... I DOUBT there will be 100 or more submitted in time... Anyway, whatever did happen with herofest? Did the final votes ever get posted?

Dario Nieva
09-26-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm gunna try and watch them all. I don't think it will be too hard since I can probably get in like 15 a day, ill manage that when I really know how many movies are out there.

Grant
09-26-2006, 03:42 PM
The opening is OCT 1st right? Is that when they will start being available for viewing?

GC

BTW Brandon, I am expecting something very technically superior from you!
:)

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 04:37 PM
BTW Brandon, I am expecting something very technically superior from you!
:)

I hope I do not disappoint.

griffin
09-26-2006, 04:51 PM
I'd ideally like to watch all the films once with out voting, then rewatch them and vote. I won't have the time to do that so I'll most likely watch them in order in which they are posted and vote as I go along. You should be able to edit your vote after you've voted. The fourth movie that's watched could be "really good" and given a 9. Then after you get up to 17, you realize that many others are equally quality with the 4th one watched which you gave a 9 too, making a 9 seem high for a film that doesn't stand out as much as a 9 should.

I plan on watching them all once and voting one way or another for the film, regardless of promotion. Some people don't have time nor the photoshop ability to come up with a stunning poster or banner. I through mine (unrelenting) together in about 15 minutes one afternoon and meant to make another, but didn't have the time. I don't think that lack of promotion means that people aren't as dedicated towards their 6 minute horror film than someone who made threads the first day and said basically nothing for a month. There were a lot of threads that were made early and have very little updates in them, 6 pages of worthless clutter than some BTS or stills or an update, then 8 more pages of clutter than a another shot. Things like that are keeping those threads at the top of the page and are seen 10 times a day. In actuallity it's not really promoting the movie and letting people know what is going on with it, so threads with 1948 pages doesn't necessarily mean they had the most movie related content in it promoting the movie.

I'm looking forward to all of movies, some more than others but I'm going to view them all and give an honest vote and possibly review. I'm hoping for some really good storylines.

In an unrelated note, if I have time tomorrow and think of something, I may shoot something. It probably won't have the best story, since I'll be making it up as I go along and I don't know how many actors/actresses I'll have.

cinealma
09-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Great point! Promotion at a film festival is a huge deal. I agree 100% with what you said...

True, but the audience isn't do the judging. (There are "audience awards", I know).

I feel there are two options here:

1. Get outside judges. For future contests, get some selected "pros" to judge it. HorrorFest could have had a former scream queen, a director, a low-budget SFX guy and self-claimed "#1 horror fan"... a line-up something like that, maybe.

2. Do the Amazon fests thing: As a user, you sign up to participate in the voting and you randomly get a film, or for this forum maybe 5 or 6 films, to watch and judge. That way its more realistic for all films to be watched by everybody participating in the judging.

OR...

If the voting is kept as is, how about each film you don't vote on automatically gets 10's, not 0's! :)

John G.

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 05:00 PM
1. Get outside judges. For future contests, get some selected "pros" to judge it. HorrorFest could have had a former scream queen, a director, a low-budget SFX guy and self-claimed "#1 horror fan"... a line-up something like that, maybe.

As long as I'm a judge! :thumbsup: :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Cynic821
09-26-2006, 05:01 PM
I'd ideally like to watch all the films once with out voting, then rewatch them and vote. I won't have the time to do that so I'll most likely watch them in order in which they are posted and vote as I go along. You should be able to edit your vote after you've voted. The fourth movie that's watched could be "really good" and given a 9. Then after you get up to 17, you realize that many others are equally quality with the 4th one watched which you gave a 9 too, making a 9 seem high for a film that doesn't stand out as much as a 9 should.

I plan on watching them all once and voting one way or another for the film, regardless of promotion. Some people don't have time nor the photoshop ability to come up with a stunning poster or banner. I through mine (unrelenting) together in about 15 minutes one afternoon and meant to make another, but didn't have the time. I don't think that lack of promotion means that people aren't as dedicated towards their 6 minute horror film than someone who made threads the first day and said basically nothing for a month. There were a lot of threads that were made early and have very little updates in them, 6 pages of worthless clutter than some BTS or stills or an update, then 8 more pages of clutter than a another shot. Things like that are keeping those threads at the top of the page and are seen 10 times a day. In actuallity it's not really promoting the movie and letting people know what is going on with it, so threads with 1948 pages doesn't necessarily mean they had the most movie related content in it promoting the movie.

I'm looking forward to all of movies, some more than others but I'm going to view them all and give an honest vote and possibly review. I'm hoping for some really good storylines.

In an unrelated note, if I have time tomorrow and think of something, I may shoot something. It probably won't have the best story, since I'll be making it up as I go along and I don't know how many actors/actresses I'll have.

Absolutly 100% agree! I dont think you should have to go and bump your own thread to the top to get recognition for it. Its already rude to bump peoples threads down when unneccessary, and its NOT lazy and NOT being un initiated and its NOT being under excited and its NOT being un informative about your movie when you refuse to bump it because others are having conversations in their threads....

Matt Sconce
09-26-2006, 05:23 PM
This is not pointed at anyone but is simply my understanding of promotion and the method I tried to employ:

Promotion is you putting yourself out there to get noticed. You either do or don't. It is not rude to promote, or bump your own thread. You have to walk the fine line of bumping for the sake of bumping and actually having what you say matter. The goal is to create a "buzz" which is conversation in your thread that keeps it rising to the top so it is seen. That can only be done with exposure. The goal is also to get people excited about your film and help them walk through the movie making process with you. This is my understanding of exposure. Some do it well and some do not. Some threads are filled with almost no updates and some are filled with gold. But in the end the goal is the key. Did you inspire people to go watch your movie? :thumbup:

Check out my thread here to kind of see what my method has led to.
Check out the first and last page to see some grabs. Some videos are further in.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=61833

I hope this helps some.

Jason Ramsey
09-26-2006, 05:31 PM
msconse. Well said. It is business afterall in this industry. And this seems a good lesson in the business of marketing and promotion for all involved in this horrorfest.

Jason

Nice plug at the end by the way :)

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Hope ya'll had a chance to see my little gem... You can access the thread in the graphic below :):):)

spooky138
09-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Hey all! Click on my quasi-banner to get the latest screen grabs and production info! :beer:

(This shameless plug has been brought to you by Grindshow Films)

Rubix³
09-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Let's make a pact.

Let us vote for the movie we like the best. We were all fans before we were filmmakers.

I too, being new to this forum, believe there's a strong possibility this could turn out to be a popularity contest. And it's discouraging.

I'm also afraid the DP in most of the DVXUsers might impact the way they vote. Note: I didn't say "like," I said "vote." The crappily shot naked DVX100 movie in the port-a-jon might very well be more entertaining over the guy who dropped his 36-double-DVX out of a helicopter with a 35mm adaptor on while an anti-matter flubberized set of sticks breaks the fall.

Because that's what it's all about, how entertaining it is. Think way back - deep down, aren't we all just bigger kids?

If the shot entertains you, well then there you go. But if the shot simply makes us admire and say "whoa, how'd he do that" or "how'd he afford that" - it doesn't necessarily deserve the vote. You shouldn't vote as a DP, or a director, or even as an actor, you should vote as a viewer.

I'm not saying all it takes is a few teens, 2 cams and a forest makes the "better" movie. It's fk'd up, but remember, there's a generation of people who will always prefer, dare I say, "Blair Witch" over "The Shining."

At times, even the poorly shot, candy-ass, terribly acted movies are entertaining. One of my top 10 favorites is "Miracle Beach." I'd take that over "The Pianist" or "The English Patient" or "The Pompous Tribulations of the Eternal & Garrulous Chocolat Skyful Daylight Blindless" any day - and I love the scoffs I'd get in my classes when I'd say that.

Cynic821
09-26-2006, 08:50 PM
I agree, but Eternal Sunshine PWNS!

Rubix³
09-26-2006, 08:58 PM
yeah it does.

Michael_Petro
09-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Since this is my first fest film I'm hoping people will check it out and give me some feed back so I can make a better film next time.

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Since this is my first fest film I'm hoping people will check it out and give me some feed back so I can make a better film next time.

I'll be watching, and reviewing! :thumbsup:

Ben Sliker
09-26-2006, 09:23 PM
i agree, sci-fest was a big lesson in "what not to do in a 6-min contest", so it helped alot.

personally, i watch the film, then rate it, then watch, then rate, repeat for 8 hours. I just have to make sure i remember to eat this time.

avatuar
09-26-2006, 09:25 PM
I can see where your coming from, Rubix in fact I think your right, some people have tons of money to throw around, but then let us not forget the people with sheer talent and dedication who can still leave you with saying "how'd he do that?" I am great at taking a $500 budget and making it look way higher then that. For example I did this project for exactly $500 The only things I paid for were the uniforms, airsoft guns, and food. I owned a dvx and a tri-pod I borrowed and pulled together my resouces for everything else including, hummer, locations, cab, jib, animorphic adapter, as well as bringing a talented dp and actors into the project. Everything else was edited and created from scratch. So before we say "well, that musta cost a nice bit of money", or "it must be nice to have that" and just completely write if off as a money factor, let's consider that there are those that will stop at nothing until it's perfect no matter what the budget.

Rubix³
09-26-2006, 09:25 PM
I'd be willing to pitch in some money to the organizers so we can get DVDs of every movie made, even if it takes 6 of them.

Michael_Petro
09-26-2006, 09:28 PM
I'd be willing to pitch in some money to the organizers so we can get DVDs of every movie made, even if it takes 6 of them.

yeah id like to see the films in full rez myself... 6 mins to 50 megs takes a good quality hit

Rubix³
09-26-2006, 09:48 PM
I can see where your coming from, Rubix in fact I think your right, some people have tons of money to throw around, but then let us not forget the people with sheer talent and dedication who can still leave you with saying "how'd he do that?" I am great at taking a $500 budget and making it look way higher then that. For example I did this project for exactly $500 The only things I paid for were the uniforms, airsoft guns, and food. I owned a dvx and a tri-pod I borrowed and pulled together my resouces for everything else including, hummer, locations, cab, jib, animorphic adapter, as well as bringing a talented dp and actors into the project. Everything else was edited and created from scratch. So before we say "well, that musta cost a nice bit of money", or "it must be nice to have that" and just completely write if off as a money factor, let's consider that there are those that will stop at nothing until it's perfect no matter what the budget. Oh definitely. In fact, my project costed me about the same for similar things (including a hummer), although I didn't get an anamorphic.

I'm not bitching at all about budget, it can be a very good thing. Both budget and lack thereof can add to the entertainment value of a movie.

griffin
09-26-2006, 09:58 PM
This is not pointed at anyone but is simply my understanding of promotion and the method I tried to employ:

Promotion is you putting yourself out there to get noticed. You either do or don't. It is not rude to promote, or bump your own thread. You have to walk the fine line of bumping for the sake of bumping and actually having what you say matter. The goal is to create a "buzz" which is conversation in your thread that keeps it rising to the top so it is seen. That can only be done with exposure. The goal is also to get people excited about your film and help them walk through the movie making process with you. This is my understanding of exposure. Some do it well and some do not. Some threads are filled with almost no updates and some are filled with gold. But in the end the goal is the key. Did you inspire people to go watch your movie? :thumbup:

Check out my thread here to kind of see what my method has led to.
Check out the first and last page to see some grabs. Some videos are further in.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=61833

I hope this helps some.

I have no problem with people wanting to create a buzz or bumping their thread up to stay near the top IF and only IF there is something new going on with their movie i.e. finished location scouting, storyboarding, posters, example clips, etc. That bumping them up when there is nothing to be said about the movie isn't needed. There are other ways to promote your movie. i.e. using a banner and posting on other peoples threads through out the whole site. I know all of Brandon Rice's movies that he has had on there because his posts are every where. Constant posting all over the website w/ a banner is a very effective way of getting publicity by not only the horrorfest audience but by anyone that may see a cool looking banner i.e. runaway. and click on it to see what it's about.

Grant
09-26-2006, 10:07 PM
It would be interesting to add a notation as to the budget everyone spent on their film. More as an aside than anything else. Breakdowns would be cool as well, I am obviously speaking about round estimates. I think it would be interesting to know what was spent on tallent, props, food, etc.

GC

luster
09-26-2006, 11:15 PM
I can't find this info anywhere....

Are only people with 100+ posts allowed to vote?

Brandon Rice
09-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Yes, only users with 100 or more posts are allowed to vote.

Matt Sconce
09-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Because of the score card, we cannot simply vote for the film that we liked best. We must vote by category. For example: we have a score card with categories on it (Editing, Sound, Score, Cinematography, Acting, Script, etc. We then score out of 10 each of these categories. The categories are then added up into an overall score for that film and tallied to the right on the score card.

This makes it so each film can be competitive. maybe an amazing film visually did not have a very good story, but another had an amazing story and slightly lower quality visuals, they might balance out in the voting. This is how voting happened last time.

Also---on a side note----I noticed people were upset that conversation was occuring in the individual film forum. I do not understand this. Updates are not the only thing people want to see on your thread. They want to ask questions hear how to's, get to know you as a film maker. This is all used as promotion. Pointless dialogue about about what to eat that day, I can see as taking up space, but anything even semi related to film making is perfectly in line with that forums purpose.

VersuS
09-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Also---on a side note----I noticed people were upset that conversation was occuring in the individual film forum. I do not understand this. Updates are not the only thing people want to see on your thread. They want to ask questions hear how to's, get to know you as a film maker. This is all used as promotion. Pointless dialogue about about what to eat that day, I can see as taking up space, but anything even semi related to film making is perfectly in line with that forums purpose.

I agree with Matt. I have started various conversations in my own thread (probably in someone else's as well) but that's because dvxuser.com remains a forum even during a Fest period. It's not the Cannes film festival, it's not the Oscars, it's a dvx users forum with the intention to get us together and discuss, and share, and work together as well. So if among the 250 posts in my thread, I have 30 or less that are in the mood for joking around, having a conv. with another user that I feel very comfortable with...than excuse me. When you watch the interview of a director or an actor about a project of his...do you care only if he talks about the tech stuff and the acting and the directing...or do you like to hear him say something Honest and Funny and Original about his colleagues, his life, his work environment...

Anyway, promoting yourself means putting yourself out in the open and saying 'bring it on, what do you want to hear?'...

ps. last night I was in a very difficult situation with the progress of my movie....having the opportunity to post even a stupid complaint about my life in MY OWN thread, just to feel that someone in here can sympathize was more important than putting a huge update with grabs and filters and posting tutorials on how I put a monkey eat a guy's head off....

VersuS
09-27-2006, 01:18 AM
I would also like to add that it's rude to imply that people who may post something irrelevant to the actual filmmaking process of their movie in their thread is just a way to push their view counters or last post date so that it is up in the page...I have been a member of dvxuser for 1 year but through horrorfest I started talking with people in here, being an active member, before that I was just devouring all threads to learn stuff....so now that I have some people who know me and I like them, yeah I'll start covs. with them inside my thread, it helps bring down the tension that surrounds me all these days.

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-27-2006, 01:54 AM
...i can already see the top few post getter topics in there taking the top spots , no one is interested in the others unless its something like MOVIE MASTERS thread.
It's an average so how many people see it doesn't mean everything.

In the past they keep the voting open until all of the films have had a significant number of views to get a sense of how people feel about it.

If film A gets 50 views and has an average rating of "7" ...
and film B gets 1000 views and has an average rating of "6" ...
film A wins.

And ...
Zombie Fest
1st Place = known user with very few posts but some film rep
2nd Place = completely obscure user with slightly more posts
3rd place = prominent member with lots of posts
4th place = most popular user with most posts on forum

Sci Fest
1st Place = known user with no filmmaking reputation with moderate posts.
2nd place = known user with moderate post count
3rd place = completely unknown user with very low post count (one of the lowest viewed threads in the contest too - I think 30th or 40th viewed)
4th place = completely obscure user with very very low post count

Hero Fest
1st Place = very well known user with alleged filmmaking rep
2nd place = unknown user with no rep
3rd place = known user with moderate post count

So anything goes.

There is always someone out of left field that places in the top three.

Buzz might be a tie breaker between two very competitive films, but I can guarantee you that members here don't vote popularity. I've seen it go the other way many times.

Cynic821
09-27-2006, 03:23 AM

In the past they keep the voting open until all of the films have had a significant number of views to get a sense of how people feel about it.

film A wins.

is this a typo?

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-27-2006, 03:50 AM
uhm ... no.
It's not how many at bats you have (within reason). It's your average.

Like I said, in the past they have kept the gates open long enough to get a representative sample for each film.

But I can also tell you if a film only gets 50 views then there's a good reason beyond poor marketing or lack of popularity.

I exaggerated some for the sake of example, but that's how it works.

Michael_Petro
09-27-2006, 06:10 AM
alot of people have told me i was in left field :)

Charli
09-27-2006, 07:07 AM
I think to state that this is a popularity contest, I think it demeans us all as
working filmmakers. This isn't high school and I think we all should be given more
credit than that.

As for bumping threads up to the top, if a user posts something to my thread,
I will respond to it just like I do any other thread, not for the sake of bumping
but for the sake of responding, but to imply this is done by anyone
for the sake of bumping a thread to the top, again, we're not in high school.

For the one who said that we should see a film as a viewer and not as a dp,
director, etc., I'm sorry, but once you dp your first film, once you directed your
first movie, once you've written your first script, you cannot remove that from
within you.

When I watch movies I notice DIALOGUE. It would be nice if I could just sit
there and be mindless and ignorant of it all. But I see plot points, hero's
reluctance, crossing the threshold into act II, subtext, etc. I can't remove
the screenwriter within me from watching a movie.

The director will notice angles, the dp will notice lighting, the sound guy will
notice bad audio from the moment that first word is spoken. The more you
make movies, the more you notice the good, the bad, the ugly within film
shorts, within feature films, etc.

So if the dp votes for the best lit film, so what? So if the director votes for the
best directed film, so what? That's what was important to them and that's
how they viewed it as the best film on the market.

I will always notice a script within a movie, I can't separate that from me.

Rubix³
09-27-2006, 07:47 AM
I think to state that this is a popularity contest, I think it demeans us all as
working filmmakers. This isn't high school and I think we all should be given more
credit than that.

As for bumping threads up to the top, if a user posts something to my thread,
I will respond to it just like I do any other thread, not for the sake of bumping
but for the sake of responding, but to imply this is done by anyone
for the sake of bumping a thread to the top, again, we're not in high school.

For the one who said that we should see a film as a viewer and not as a dp,
director, etc., I'm sorry, but once you dp your first film, once you directed your
first movie, once you've written your first script, you cannot remove that from
within you.

The director will notice angles, the dp will notice lighting, the sound guy will
notice bad audio from the moment that first word is spoken. The more you
make movies, the more you notice the good, the bad, the ugly within film
shorts, within feature films, etc.

So if the dp votes for the best lit film, so what? So if the director votes for the
best directed film, so what? That's what was important to them and that's
how they viewed it as the best film on the market.

I will always notice a script within a movie, I can't separate that from me. I wasn't trying to demean anyone and I didn't state that it was a pop contest. I said I was new here, and that it was a concern.

Viewier vs. DP: It's not about removing that from your inner soul. I'm talking about taking a step back and watching a movie for exactly what it is. Maybe I'm asking too much, but I'm able to do it, and I've done all those things you've mentioned (outside of actually being in charge of lighting, but I still recognize that). I didn't say "don't notice it."

But according to msconce, the scorecard negates this argument. I wasn't sure exactly how the voting was going to go. At the end of the day, the entertainment value will impact the scoring of each aspect of the film, so I'm happy. :thumbup:

Charli
09-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Rubix, if you're happy, I'm happy. I didn't vote last fest, because of work I wasn't
able to watch many of the films. This time, summer season is over and I'll have
time to view. I think regardless of how they all came out, one thing I will
be proud of, is those who completed projects.

Brandon Rice
09-27-2006, 08:05 AM

heehee... don't watch my movie Charli... as there's not any dialogue... lol

Rubix³
09-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Yeah, I need to get my posts up so I can vote.

ah, just checked, 5 away, no biggie.

I'm proud of everyone too... it's exciting seeing all the banners flying up. Now if I could only get the cops to quit kicking me off my location, I might be able to finish and make a banner of my own...

Ben Sliker
09-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Zombie Fest
2nd Place = completely obscure user with slightly more posts

Sci Fest
2nd place = known user with moderate post count

Hero Fest
1st Place = very well known user with alleged filmmaking rep

So if you place this time jack, what will you refer to yourself as? lol.

Sometimes it's really hard to say how films will do in these kinds of contests. Most of the time when people get upset about placing is when it didn't match their scorecard. What I take out of the contest as a whole is that improves your skills, and this time promotion is involved. I remember the fests when getting someone to score your film was a radical idea, but now it's commonplace.

So, if you are rocking on all cylinders, as they say, what do you have to worry about, you can't control what other people are going to think about your film.

Jaime V
09-27-2006, 08:19 AM
I plan on viewing all the movies and voting, but I understand (depending on timeframe) not everyone will be able to.

And as a first time filmmaker (can I say that now that I'm almost done? :)) I really wouldn't be offended if no one read my thread, watched my film, or voted for it.

I've learned a lot just doing this itty bitty project, and that's all I can ask for. For me, the deadline was a needed impetus to get my ass in gear and get it done. So, looking forward to the next one already.

Good luck everyone.

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-27-2006, 08:23 AM
So if you place this time jack, what will you refer to yourself as? lol.
guy who doesn't know when to quit and whose girl friend left him for promising not to do the next fest after the last fest everytime but then doing it anyway

Ben Sliker
09-27-2006, 08:36 AM
guy who doesn't know when to quit and whose girl friend left him for promising not to do the next fest after the last fest everytime but then doing it anyway

yeah, but it could be:

guy who doesn't know when to quit and whose girl friend left him for promising not to do the next fest after the last fest everytime but then doing it anyway WITH AN HVX

god ... we are all nerds here aren't we ...

cinealma
09-27-2006, 09:49 AM

THIS MAN IS A TRUE FILMMAKER! :thumbsup:

(Sorry to hear about your girlfriend, though.)

John G.

Brandon Rice
09-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Indeed, Jack is an inspiration to us all... He is the guy who inspired me to produce A Price Too High for Sci-Fest, and that in turn led to bigger things, as I went on to produce Smuggler's Ransom. Thanks for the inspiration Jack!

cinealma
09-27-2006, 09:53 AM

film A wins.

If this is the case, there should should be at least a minimum number of rated views for a film, right?

John G.

mameragex
09-27-2006, 12:15 PM
I'm gonna watch every film...I'll take off work if I have to. I'm gonna take notes though, so I can go back and vote for the ones who really had a good film or techniques. I just don't wanna make the same mistake I did at the zombie fest "randomly viewing and give a high vote for something, then later finding another that was better" I'm gonna try to be as fair as possible.:thumbsup:

Robert Eldon
09-27-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm going to watch every film as I have done in the past. I'll rate each one and decide on my top ten, then I'll watch the top ten again until I've narrowed down the one I think is best (overall).

I didn't have time to post a promotional thread, with other projects going on at the same time and... spending so much time in pre-production, production and post on my entry, there was no time for promotion.

But I hope that everyone will watch my film and that I'll get good feedback. I'm hoping that you will be entertained. I can't wait!

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-27-2006, 12:43 PM
THIS MAN IS A TRUE FILMMAKER! :thumbsup:

(Sorry to hear about your girlfriend, though.)

John G.
WAH! Who was that woman I woke up with this morning :eek:

Or rather .. who was that woman who was getting up to go to work while I was going to bed?

Oh I see the confusion... I was writing from a hypothetical future situation.

No we are still together. She was a producer on this film even though she HATES making films. Couldn't of done it with out her and she did it out of pure love / favor to me because she woudl rather "watch paint dry than be on a film set" (her words).

It moves too slow for her and she has no interest in the techinal aspect. She always supports me by keeping me in clean underwear and fed while shooting and editing, however, and never balks at seeing my movies for the 9th or 10th time.

Brandon Rice
09-27-2006, 12:43 PM
That right there is true love... :) gotta love it.

bena
09-27-2006, 06:37 PM
I can say from experience that we need at least 2 real judges that know how to rate these films. The Third vote could be another judge or the DVXuser's vote.

Having been in the Sci-fi contest and having seen the score cards after, a LOT of people did not A. watch each and every film and B. fairly rate each category.

I think a lot of people watched the first 30 sec, figured out what score they wanted the film to get and gave that score across the board.

I ain't going to toot my own horn, but there is NO way that there were 13 films with a better Musical Score then my Sci Fi short (Home Invasion)! I watched them all, So I know this for a fact. Had it been judged by knowledgeable judges, I am certain we would have been 1st or 2nd place for Musical Score.

I would be happy to post the Soundtrack/short for anyone who would like to contest what I am saying. To my knowledge we were the only film with a perfectly timed out, original score that ran the length of the short. We also used the Vienna Symphonic and supreme audio quality.

Just my 2 cents

conrad_johnson
09-27-2006, 06:47 PM
I can say from experience that we need at least 2 real judges that know how to rate these films. The Third vote could be another judge or the DVXuser's vote.

Having been in the Sci-fi contest and having seen the score cards after, a LOT of people did not A. watch each and every film and B. fairly rate each category.

I think a lot of people watched the first 30 sec, figured out what score they wanted the film to get and gave that score across the board.

I ain't going to toot my own horn, but there is NO way that there were 13 films with a better Musical Score my Sci Fi short (Home Invasion)! I watched them all, So I know this for a fact. Had it been judged by knowledgeable judges, I am certain we would have been 1st or 2nd place for Musical Score.

I would be happy to post the Soundtrack/short for anyone who would like to contest what I am saying. To my knowledge we were the only film with a perfectly timed out, original score that ran the length of the short. We also used the Vienna Symphonic and supreme audio quality.

Just my 2 cents
Please post it. Thanks.

Brandon Rice
09-27-2006, 06:48 PM
LOL DUDE.... my short A Price Too High had a completely original score, perfectly timed out, and ran the entire length.

ChrisHurn
09-27-2006, 09:27 PM
To my knowledge we were the only film with a perfectly timed out, original score that ran the length of the short

Erhm.

-Chris

VersuS
09-27-2006, 11:36 PM
knives out already??

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Erhm.

-Chris

exactly :beer:

Blaine
09-27-2006, 11:51 PM

And what EXACTLY constitutes a REAL judge?

I am more than happy to let the "viewing public" rate our entry.

Brandon Rice
09-27-2006, 11:53 PM

They have to be a human... from the planet Earth :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Anyway... the main reason I started this thread originally was to shed a little light on how I was going to be viewing, reviewing, and voting. I want everyone to embrace the system currently set up, and I hope my method is able to help everyone out :)

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-27-2006, 11:56 PM
someone that agrees with the filmmaker's opinion of their film evidently, lol

I am more than happy to let the "viewing public" rate our entry. kind of like -- hmm, the real film market?

Jackass 2 is the number 1 film at the box office right now ... think it'll win an oscar? :laugh:

Also agents pay more attention to audience awards when signing filmmakers. Jury awards can get distribution of course, but a filmmaker with audience awards is in a good position ... a la Robert Rodriguez.

Blaine
09-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Anyway... the main reason I started this thread originally was to shed a little light on how I was going to be viewing, reviewing, and voting.
C'mon, the real reason you started this thread is because you just can't help yourself. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Brandon Rice
09-27-2006, 11:58 PM
C'mon, the real reason you started this thread is because you just can't help yourself. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

No dude, really, I am trying to be more helpful, come on, haven't you been able to tell? :(

Blaine
09-28-2006, 12:01 AM
No dude, really, I am trying to be more helpful, come on, haven't you been able to tell? :(
http://www.geocities.com/the_callaghans/emoticon-05.gif

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-28-2006, 12:01 AM
I think the thread was just supposed to be about how people are gonna keep track of the ton of films, what they were looking for, and how many they were gonna watch in one setting, etc. rather than what it has turned out to be.

Some festivals are juried. This isn't one of them. That simple. Also a non-juried, audience fest is much more in keeping with the spirit of the indie DVXuser vibe. People doin' it for themselves.

Brandon Rice
09-28-2006, 12:04 AM
http://www.geocities.com/the_callaghans/emoticon-05.gif

:( :(:(

jenningsp
09-28-2006, 12:04 AM
i ain't doing it for myself. i want some recognition.

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-28-2006, 12:09 AM
I meant for themselves, as in by themselves - without the approval of some suit or studio.
As in taking the initiative.
As in the 24p camera that made it possible for us to make these things look this good for virtually no $.

jenningsp
09-28-2006, 12:11 AM
people just don't get me. maybe i should ad more smilie faces

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :crybaby:

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-28-2006, 12:13 AM
can you clarify what you mean by that, I don't understand ...
(just kidding) :)

bena
09-29-2006, 09:23 PM
http://www.dvmon.com

I have posted my movie and sound track. If you download just the audio, you will need to save the file as when clicking on it and you will need to remove the .txt at the end to listen to it.

Other Wise you can just click on the picture and see the whole movie.

I think a movie should be 50% visual and 50% audio. You should be able to close your eyes and feel what is happening via the audio and vice versa if turn off the sound and watch the video.

I just can't see how 12 films had a better score then our film.

Thanks
Ben

ChrisHurn
09-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Hey Ben,

I don't know of 12 films, but in the Sci-fest competition I know of quite a few including one of the ones I scored (CPU, which came first) which had a fully original score that ran the length of the film. I agree with you on what you are saying - music and sound is very, very important...but your film was not the only one that had this feature.

EDIT: where is the link? Am I missing something or have you forgot to include it in your post?

Cheers.

-Chris

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Maybe he's just saying that his film placed 13th in the Score Category and he knows there weren't 12 full scores amongst the films that ranked above his.

To which, he is right, as mine did not have an original score. But now we get into that can of worms where we ask are we awarding filmmakers for the best USE of music and sound where ever they my find said music and sound, or are we awarding composers for best original music as it serves a film?

Of course the latter makes more sense, but without that explicitly stated what you get instead s a raw response from the ignorant audience as to what music they remembered and / or how effectively it was usesd - not totally worthless information if you care to examine it.

bena
09-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Hi Chris,

My point is not that we are the only one with an original Score, just that the voting by the users proved that either they did not watch the films or they need hearing aids ;)

But mostly that from the voting I saw, people gave the same score across the board for each category of a film, thus our film would get 5's or whatever number straight across. When one see's this, it makes one wonder if they really watched the film.

Like I said, if they wanted your film to score a 6, it got 6's in all categories.

Ben

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-29-2006, 10:24 PM
right and the link to your film is where again?

Edit: got it. I'll check it out while stuff is rendering.

Brandon Rice
09-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Ok dude, to be honest, your film was fun, but not that good... also, the average score kind of evened out as some loved certain things and didn't like others...

bena
09-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Hi Jack,

Looking up the word Score...

" written representation of a musical composition showing all the vocal and instrumental parts arranged one below the other. • the music composed for a movie or play."

Adding music or sound that was found and not Composed is not "Scoring".

So does the average person reviewing these films know that definition? Probably not.

But I think the real issue is the lack of attention by the reviewers, its pretty obvious when all their scores are the same across each category.

In my mind, our film had stronger Audio then Video, but yet most scores did not show an up tick in the "score" department.

I just don't think you can rely 100% on the DVXusers judging for a fair shake.

Ben

bena
09-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Ok dude, to be honest, your film was fun, but not that good... also, the average score kind of evened out as some loved certain things and didn't like others...

I am referring to our Musical Score.. Again, there is no way that it was 13th. Love or hate the visuals, or the subject matter... no way our score is that far down the list.

Ben

bena
09-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Hi Chris,

I like what you did musically for CPU, but were you going for a real orchestra sound in the Opening Theme? It sounded pretty synthy if thats a word.

Ben

Edgen
09-29-2006, 10:51 PM
good golly.. That just took frackin' 20 minutes of my time to read through all this. plus another 5 to write. eesh.

Shew.. To the point. I'm gonna watch them all. I busted my ass off this past month with many of the films in the competition and I've purposely have been eating awful to save my money for the next two weeks to take some time off. So yea. I've got a good feeling some of these will be utterly fantastic... and not so fantastic. I'll do my best to bare through the 'not sos', but if I can't take it... I can't take it and I'll shut down the QT. (like I did with the Milla Jovovich's movie, "The Messenger" along with "Brady Bunch The Movie". And... to be honest, I'll fast forward and probably get the point, see the lighting, watch enough of the acting and hear enough of the score to judge it's technical abilities. (just being honest)

It's going to be tough to watch them all, but I will give a valiant effort. If its good, It'll obviously capture me throughout the 6 minutes. If its an exhibition, i'll have to do some pre-prepping for those. (a few are exhibition films longer than 6 minutes) Alas.. take a leak-break, pop the corn, and get comfortable in my seat armed with a code red mountain dew.

lastly... The soundtrack issue. Dude. Some people like rap. Some like Classical. Some like the soundtrack to nature itself. Whoever has the best score is all relative to personal tastes in everyone here. Scores can also be the sound Design. Look at "Cast Away"... The first half of the movie was a pure bliss of sound FX genius. Even that was a biased opinion. Because I’m a composer… I’ll probably pay more attention to the music…. Or “Stingers” (which I feel most of these films will be chalked full of them to scaaaarrrrrrrreeee youuuuuuu)

now... to find my popcorn, sit back and watch all my new DVX friend's movies. :)

/j

Brandon Rice
09-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Awesome post Edgen! :)

Brandon Rice
09-29-2006, 10:53 PM
I am referring to our Musical Score.. Again, there is no way that it was 13th. Love or hate the visuals, or the subject matter... no way our score is that far down the list.

Ben

Well then I say, no way OUR score was 21 on the list!

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Hi Jack,

" written representation of a musical composition showing all the vocal and instrumental parts arranged one below the other. • the music composed for a movie or play."

Adding music or sound that was found and not Composed is not "Scoring".

So does the average person reviewing these films know that definition? Probably not.

But I think the real issue is the lack of attention by the reviewers, its pretty obvious when all their scores are the same across each category.

In my mind, our film had stronger Audio then Video, but yet most scores did not show an up tick in the "score" department.

I just don't think you can rely 100% on the DVXusers judging for a fair shake.

Ben Hi Bena,

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/score
a.a written or printed piece of music with all the vocal and instrumental parts arranged on staves, one under the other.
b.the music itself.
c.the music played as background to or part of a movie, play, or television presentation."

Notice this one doesn't say jack shit about who wrote it when or why.

And your film isn't a a movie with a fully synced original score.

It's an original SCORE witha fully synced movie.

In other words, it would be a pretty cool piece of music with spoken word.

But your movie played like a a bunch of images taking up time between orchestra hits.

If your music doesn't serve the film/story, who cares if its any good or if it's original, stock, or written by robots.

Edgen
09-29-2006, 10:59 PM
.... or written by robots.

Arnie says... "I AM A MACHINE..."

nice post Jack. Scores can come in every shape, size, and decibal. Some just stand out more than others.

/j

Brandon Rice
09-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Hey bena. Here's a sample bit from OUR SCORE....
www.noariceprod.com/apth.mp3

Now, yeah, it's synthy, but guess what, I asked Matt to go for that when he started scoring it. I wanted that X-Fileish synth feel to it. Regardless, the music is well orchestrated and fits the mood perfectly... now why didn't WE win best score??? LOL!

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Arnie says... "I AM A MACHINE..."

nice post Jack. Scores can come in every shape, size, and decibal. Some just stand out more than others.

/j Exactly,

But let me clarify with - EVERY SINGLE composer here is EXTREMELY talented, and we are so lucky to have them -- even the half-breeds like you Justin :)

But yeah my point is that it tells a story and the audience doesn't care and shouldn't necessiraly about where you get it.

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-29-2006, 11:04 PM
Hey bena. Here's a sample bit from OUR SCORE....
www.noariceprod.com/apth.mp3 (http://www.noariceprod.com/apth.mp3)

Now, yeah, it's synthy, but guess what, I asked Matt to go for that when he started scoring it. I wanted that X-Fileish synth feel to it. Regardless, the music is well orchestrated and fits the mood perfectly... now why didn't WE win best score??? LOL!
Agk! ... Brandon don't buy into the madness :eek:

Brandon Rice
09-29-2006, 11:05 PM
agh ok man, sorry... maybe I overreacted a bit bena, sorry man. My point is this though... there were a LOT of good scores... and not everyone can win... 13th place ain't bad outa 60+ films either.

Edgen
09-29-2006, 11:13 PM
-- even the half-breeds like you Justin :)

HA!! Soo I'm a half breed eh?
Ya.. My mind is out there in right field. Occasionally Left Center.

I agreed with Brandon. 13th place out of 60 ain't bad at tall. Who was the composer for your film anyway Ben? And, is the clip online? I'm actually curious to watch your film after all this koboodlin'. (I stumbled into DVXuser during the HeroFest circa)

/j

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-29-2006, 11:16 PM
HA!! Soo I'm a half breed eh?
yeah, lol halfbreed = filmmaker/composer

And, is the clip online? I'm actually curious to watch your film after all this koboodlin'. (I stumbled into DVXuser during the HeroFest circa)
/j

yah he put it in his post at the top of the previous page

bena
09-29-2006, 11:19 PM
"But your movie played like a a bunch of images taking up time between orchestra hits."

Jack,

I think you will find that you can turn off either the music or the visuals, the story is not hurt in our film.

Kill the audio in "CPU" and you are just scratching your head as to what the hell you are seeing.

But my point is, if there are prizes involved, there needs to be set judges that are knowledgeable in film making and not a popularity vote.

Brandon Rice
09-29-2006, 11:20 PM
But my point is, if there are prizes involved, there needs to be set judges that are knowledgeable in film making and not a popularity vote.

Oh I see... So you're saying that, me, Jack, Edgen, and the countless other's who are FILMMAKERS on this forum are not knowledgable in film?!!!

Edgen
09-29-2006, 11:35 PM
... and the oven just got turned up to 450. The Kitchen is heating up.

Thanks for the link Jack.

Popularity Vote? Perfect example. "Snakes On A Plane". Imagine if you were an oldie poke in the woods with basic TV and no internet access, but you were a wild and border-line crazy snake wrangler... and just the thought of a movie about snakes brews the venom inside. But... Alas, you doen't have the internet and that's where most of the hype took place.

What people are doing here is just strategic marketing. Those banners/posters that I see plastered all over the boards will get the name recognition and will stick out to me to watch those films first. (or.. at least I'd like to watch them first) Then, when it's time to vote, that's a different story.

/j

bena
09-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Brandon,

Please do not put words in my mouth.

As I said, based on how sci fest was not due-fully judged by the viewers, awarding prizes becomes a popularity contest.

How many of the people who voted actually watch all of the movies? I did and it took a very long time, but I highly doubt more than a small percent did.

Edgen
09-29-2006, 11:40 PM
I just watched "Invasion". I think the score was great and goes with the hockey narration and playfulness of the film. So... it fits the picture to me. Perhaps a little over the top, but it made the abduction fun and something I would like to do one day. So the composer was also your actor correct?

I think most of the people in this forum 'know' what is good and what is bad. After all, aren't we all referees (parents/fans) sitting on the sidelines?

If this isn't the right group of judges amongst all the talent and peers in this forum compared to the rest of the world, I don't know who is.

/j

Brandon Rice
09-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Brandon,

Please do not put words in my mouth.

As I said, based on how sci fest was not due-fully judged by the viewers, awarding prizes becomes a popularity contest.

How many of the people who voted actually watch all of the movies? I did and it took a very long time, but I highly doubt more than a small percent did.

I disagree... I watched every movie and voted on every one. Also did the same for Herofest. I think the prizes were awarded correctly. We ALL have our OWN subjective opinions... anyway, I'm done.

bena
09-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Brandon,

You are one of a very few to have watched them all... If you like I can send you the score cards, there is no arguing with fact.

Edgen,

Thanks! It was meant to be fun and personally I love to listen to our score on my hi fi with the Sub cranked up, there is so much fidelity and dynamics going on in our music, If this was someone else's score, it would not matter, I would still listen to it cause I like this kind of big theatrical music.

khmuse
09-29-2006, 11:52 PM
... anyway, I'm done.

Now there is something you don't see every day!:-Laugh(DBG):

Just kidding, great subject and great thread.

Brandon Rice
09-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Sure send the score cards... actually, I still have mine, final scorecard... and here it is uploaded for you to see.
www.noariceprod.com/SciFest_Results.xls

ChrisHurn
09-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Hi Chris,

I like what you did musically for CPU, but were you going for a real orchestra sound in the Opening Theme? It sounded pretty synthy if thats a word.

Ben

Well. No. Not really. Actually it was just a piano and some simple strings, the score for CPU wasn't written for an 'orchestral' sound, I used mainly strings and a piano.

I thought that technically the score to your film was great, and there was some very nice orchestration in it. However I can understand why it didn't get as high ranked. You are right - I have a feeling too that people may be inclined to up the mark for music score etc. if the film itself is visually very good. However, I also think that music is more than just having nice samples - it's about how it effected the audience on an emotional level. If you have a strong theme or motif that people will remember, you'll get a higher mark generally. Even if your score is full of nice orchestration. Non musical people don't appreciate that.

I think there were a number of films here with some pretty nice music, which was often simple, but memorable. And they liked the film, which brings up the marks some more.

Anyway, there was no prize for best score in sci-fest.

-Chris

bena
09-30-2006, 12:08 AM
Sure send the score cards... actually, I still have mine, final scorecard... and here it is uploaded for you to see.
www.noariceprod.com/SciFest_Results.xls

That is the final scoring, I think I might have the actual votes by each person, that is verrrry telling as to how people actually voted

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-30-2006, 12:12 AM
This contest is and audience vote.
There are plenty of juried contests out there.
Makes no sense to enter this contest and complain that it's not juried.
Might as well enter and complain that you can't shoot on an XL2 ... it's jut not that party.
This party = audience vote and no one is forcing you to come to the party.

Also, the fact that Big Bertha (an HVX) is the the take home honey is irrelevant.

There are fare larger prizes to be had at your local box office in the form of millions of dollars, and who votes to see who gets those big prizes ?

... the AUDIENCE with there $. No learned judges decide who takes home the number one spot at the box office.

FREE MARKET BABY ! :cheesy:

If you are in THIS contest you need to start thinking about ways to beat THIS mousetrap. It is what it is.
You want the HVX? Did you look at the fimls that scored above you and ask what you could learn from them?

Filmmaking, like all forms of drama is a highly communicative art. There is an encoding process by the filmmaker and a decoding process by the audience. You need to have that exchange in mind every step of the way. If you are gonna sit around and say "the audience is wrong" vs. "how can I reach this audience" well you are gonna have a tougher (not impossible but way tougher) journery ahead as a filmmaker.

ONE THING ON THE BRIGHT SIDE .... congratulations ... you definitaly have gotten some publicity for your film this go around. I will definately be checking it out sooner rather than later once the films go up. :thumbsup:

Brandon Rice
09-30-2006, 12:15 AM
haha good points Jack, and bena, there's NO WAY you have individual voters forms... those were kept private.