PDA

View Full Version : Camera Mount for Firestore 100

Terence
09-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Another quick Q. about the firestore 100: has anyone used the camera mount kit that is being sold for this model. Prices seem to averge at about $115.00. I haven't been able to see any photos are get a better description of it. I'm seriously considering the Firestore 100 for my new HVX and I want to know whether it's worth it to spring for this particular mount sytem. Thanks!

Barth Gimble
09-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Another quick Q. about the firestore 100: has anyone used the camera mount kit that is being sold for this model. Prices seem to averge at about $115.00. I haven't been able to see any photos are get a better description of it. I'm seriously considering the Firestore 100 for my new HVX and I want to know whether it's worth it to spring for this particular mount sytem. Thanks!

....it works ok....you get the holder plus the mount and a couple of cables. I bought it...but I didn't like what I paid for it....of course who ever does? :huh::huh::huh:

Cut2muz
09-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Works quite well. I got the larger battery and the larger cradle. I suggest you get some foam core and make a shadow box for the FS as it gets hard to see in most any light. Mount uses a Manfotto hot shoe adaptor and is metal and solid. I use boom poles and wireless mics so the small amount of fan noise is not an issue. But, be aware, the handle on the HVX is not very strong at the rear where it screws into the chassis. We've been mounting the Firestore and a 7 inch focus monitor on the camera and the handle recently snapped on location. We had to epoxy the rear and made larger and DEEPER alen head screw holes in the front where the handle screws on to the camera and now it's much beefier.

Don Wilson
AmericanaMediaInc.com

Mathew Knight
09-25-2006, 03:03 PM
I rented an HVX and the rental company had attached a tripod snap plate to the top of the handle (in the available screw point). then they had the heavy duty velcro on top of the snap plate and on the two firestore battery's. Worked perfectly. Totally secure and a very convenient place. I really couldn't think of a better place to put it. You can even get the camera rain cover over it. i used it like this on a glide-cam, handheld, car to car, back of a motorbike. And its plenty light enough not to worry about the handle breaking.
the only down side is when you pull it off you need to take car that the battery is not taking all the force. But it didn't seem an issue.

BenB
09-27-2006, 07:02 AM
I'd only ever, and I do this a lot, mount the FS-100 using the Focus Enhancments hot shoe mount, not the threads in the HVX handle. Or get a JimmyBox. Or velcro it to something (my personal fav). It weights next to nothing. But with a LCD monitor attached to the handle, the extra few ounces could make a difference. Although I've done it and had no problems, seeing someone else have problems makes me more warry.