PDA

View Full Version : Canon XH-G1 vs Sony HV1-V1u

Camera Expert
09-21-2006, 06:11 PM
I just read DCowan’s post about comparing the HVR-V1u to the Canon XH-G1. I think its best if I start a thread about this situation because it would be interesting to read people’s take when they compare both of the camcorders. For example, which would you choose and why?

John Froton
09-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Theoretically, I think I am inclined to lean in favor of Sony's progressive scan CMOS chips rather than Canon's interlace CCDs. However, I think that a real world comparison of actual footage will be the only way to seperate theory from reality.

If Sony's claims about the increased dynamic range and image quality resulting from their CMOS chips lives up to the hype, then they may have a real winner of a camera in the HVR-V1u.

The way it looks from speculation, the HVR-V1u should be able to match the resolution of the XH-G1 chipset (which is from the XL-H1, the most detail resolving chipset found in the current generation of sub 10K HD camcorders) and if so, the question then becomes "which chipset offers more dynamic range?" and Sony is touting the improved dynamic range of CMOS over CCDs.

I am definitely anxious to see some real world comparisons. I currently have had my mind set on the HVX200 because of the variable progressive framerates and the quality of the DVCPRO-HD format. I have not turned away from the HVX yet but am wanting to see just how the new Sony pans out and if the CMOS chips might justify working with HDV over DVCPRO-HD.

NickForrester
09-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Also: What level of glass are they using?
Sony needs a big winner, so maybe they're gonna finally step up.