PDA

View Full Version : Where and how will DVXUSER HorrorFest "exhibition-only" films be shown?

Ralph Oshiro
09-11-2006, 01:19 PM
As some of you know, I won't be competing for votes or prizes in the upcoming DVXUSER HorrorFest competition since I'm not using a DVX/HVX camera. I WILL be submitting a film, but since I'm shooting the majority of it on a non-qualifying camera (Sony DSR450), I'm ineligible for voting and will only be allowed to enter for "exhibition." Does this mean that DVXUSER users won't be able to view it in the same manner as the other competing films? Thanks.

Ben Sliker
09-12-2006, 07:11 AM
I know in the past the "other" camera films have just been thrown into the mix with the other films, they are even voted on too. But if one is good enough to win something the prize simply reverts down the next best that was shot on a DVX/HVX.

Kyle Stebbins
09-13-2006, 09:56 AM
seems fair

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-13-2006, 11:24 AM
yah so you get feedback and satisfaction of placing well but no booty.

Matt Sconce
09-13-2006, 11:52 AM
AWESOME! I am excited!

Ralph Oshiro
09-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Well, that's GREAT to hear! Wasn't even aware of any non-DVX/HVX films on the other fests. If it weren't for the moral support of the fellow filmmakers here, I would never be motivated enough to shoot anything. Still being able to be "voted" on and ranked is a great thrill for my "exhibition-only" entry! Thanks guys! Msconce--you're using what, a Z1?

Matt Sconce
09-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Well, that's GREAT to hear! Wasn't even aware of any non-DVX/HVX films on the other fests. If it weren't for the moral support of the fellow filmmakers here, I would never be motivated enough to shoot anything. Still being able to be "voted" on and ranked is a great thrill for my "exhibition-only" entry! Thanks guys! Msconce--you're using what, a Z1?

Nope, a DVX100b but my movie is 10 Minutes long, 15 with credits, and I have a website up to promote it so I can't compete. I am so excited that it gets to be voted on though! That means I can see where I need to grow as a film maker! Woohoo! :thumbsup:

khmuse
09-13-2006, 03:35 PM
I had wanted to shot ours with the SDX900 (due to its great low light performance, much better glass, a bigger sensor and 4:2:2 color space) but when the prizes were announced, that ended that idea!

Really looking to seeing NB... , oops, I mean Rezfactor's short.

Ralph Oshiro
09-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Hey KH! Where 'ya been? Glad to see you're entering something on this one! Well, don't expect too much, KH, 'cause once again, I'm weak on story and still have no "script" to speak of! I'm having a lot of fun doing this project anyway, and isn't that the whole point here?

Msconce! That's too bad--with all the buzz on your project, I was excited to see how it was going to place in the competition!

Edgen
09-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Same with my Brown Waters... It wasn't shot on a DVX, but it still complies to all the rules of the contest. 6 minutes. Horror.(or... at least its horror to me) It was originally about 12 minutes long, but I hack/chopped and cut it down to the time. I'm just stoked to submit it.

How many others out there are submitting for the 'exhibition only' ?

/j

khmuse
09-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey KH! Where 'ya been? Glad to see you're entering something on this one! Well, don't expect too much, KH, 'cause once again, I'm weak on story and still have no "script" to speak of! I'm having a lot of fun doing this project anyway, and isn't that the whole point here?

I have been 'round a bit less lately, but trying to make up for it. Moved my office at the first of the year, spent some time in South America with my youngest daughter (the actress) working on a project there, and have been pounded with work and travel. Shot a few interesting things, but mostly film projects, not as much dvx stuff as I had wanted to do.

Glad to see you working on an entry. You may be one of the few who can overcome a slightly weaker story with great lensing. I have no doubt you will pull something off that will be a great little short. I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. You know the old saying, if it weren't for the last moment, nothing would ever get finished.

I posted a few grabs on our thread and have begun to include some production notes and information on lighting setups. We kinda pulled the stops out in terms of talent (the on screen variety) on this project. Used a few favors up, but it's been fun so far. My goal was not to embarrass myself, time will tell...

Ralph Oshiro
09-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Same with my Brown Waters... It wasn't shot on a DVX, but it still complies to all the rules of the contest. 6 minutes. Horror.(or... at least its horror to me) It was originally about 12 minutes long, but I hack/chopped and cut it down to the time. I'm just stoked to submit it.

How many others out there are submitting for the 'exhibition only' ?

/jThat's good to hear, Edgen. Love your music by the way--great, cinematic stuff! I would love to know how many other "exhibition-only" films there are too!

Matt Sconce
09-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Msconce! That's too bad--with all the buzz on your project, I was excited to see how it was going to place in the competition!

I originally intended to enter it, but it outgrew the contest and the story just can't have any more cut out of it. My goal is to get funding for expanding it into a feature shot on HVX's so hopefully that will happen. I am glad it gets to be seen and voted on though, so I can see what people think. It is a good time for feedback before I launch it into the world of Film Festivals. I am excited to see the projects that are for exhibition. We make the movies because we love to do so. Yeah, and HVX prize would be awesome, but the prize for me is when people enjoy the finished product. :thumbsup: Thanks for keepin up with the buzz on Stricken...it will rock and hopefully live up to the hype. :grin:

VersuS
09-14-2006, 12:18 AM
I am probably gonna submit it for exhibition only. We're a few scenes short and already at 5'...I estimate that when finished it will be about 8-10 minutes long...but I don't think I'll be able to chop it....the remaining scenes are the backbone of this film so cutting it down will mean messing up with the story and the vision...oh yeah there is one...:p

Matt Sconce
09-14-2006, 12:23 AM
I am probably gonna submit it for exhibition only. We're a few scenes short and already at 5'...I estimate that when finished it will be about 8-10 minutes long...but I don't think I'll be able to chop it....the remaining scenes are the backbone of this film so cutting it down will mean messing up with the story and the vision...oh yeah there is one...:p

Hehe! Cool! I will definitely watch it!:thumbsup:

MOVIE MASTER
09-18-2006, 02:52 PM
ME TO!!!! 666