PDA

View Full Version : I wonder how the judging will go?

BLUESPIDER
09-04-2006, 12:56 AM
Is it going to be the same like the previous contest or will this one have judges?

I have a feeling some films might even get to be viewd. I know some will just download the more popular anticipated films leaving the less anticipated un viewd.
?

Well, I guess if you want your film viewd, you better start promoting it!

ps:

I love this smiley. :nads:

DarkMatter
09-04-2006, 01:47 AM
S#$! I'll watch em all.

VersuS
09-04-2006, 01:51 AM
the threaded ones are soooooooooooooooo good that I cant wait to watch them...however..if they are so good, i can only imagine what is going on with the rest of them...I ll try to watch as many as I can

GageFX
09-04-2006, 02:10 AM
I dont follow who you all find are the great filmmakers on this site so I will watch them all. Everyone gets a fair shake. It wont be until after viewing them all that I'll try to figure out who it was thatmade that Bone Hand flic from Herofest. Heck, I didnt even keep track to see who won.

No gods, unknowns or biased judging here. Each film judged as it is. (And if I dont watch themall, I wont submit the ballot.)

-GageFX

Mark Harris
09-04-2006, 06:44 AM
I try to watch as many as I can. And in fact, in the last go-round, one of the best ones in my eyes, did not even place. It was JimTheJib's Hero entry. A 17 old who shows great timing/editing/writing abilities.

Likewise, in Sci-Fest, I remember one that I don't think placed, but was a favorite of mine.

So yeah, now I know that if you take some time to watch them all, you find some gems that may not get the massive promotion.

Michael_Petro
09-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Iam suddenly depressed ... Heres hoping mine gets viewed hey watch my film please :)
heres a thread I started
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=69816

VERSUS--I edited this becuase after I reviewed it, it seemed more harsh than I thought it did.

VersuS
09-04-2006, 08:07 AM
I think that watching 90+ entries is something that you cant force people to do..if you gave me a dvd I would certainly watch everything in it...but 90+ downloads is something that will take time for me...time that I am not afraid to admit I dont have...it may take 1 week or 1 month...

Voting after you've seen all of the entries is something very noble and I would like to be able to do so....but to be honest...this never happens...not in elections. not in the oscars.not even when people vote for athletes...you NEVER get to see everybody or everything!! you try to do your best but like in sports...you always pay attention to the big names....I havent followed previous fests in dvxuser so I dont know who has been a constant runner xcept for a few guys like JDS...but from the threads I can see a lot...

I also believe that people who thread their movies pay more attention to the whole process of film making, like marketing, doing bts and SHARING bts...and I love the guys who do the threads because they SHARE ...the forums is for SHARING and TALKING....if a guy comes from nowhere to post a movie that is excellent in any way but hasnt shown any interest in other people's work even through a 'way to go man, looking forward for your submission' will not take my vote when compared with one of the guys in the threads...

This is not hollywood so people with threads do a noble marketing (movie master...lol...) and are not trying to 'sell' their product but rather share the experience...at least this is what I do....I love showing my stuff and hearing what people think...getting ideas by watching how other people work....

This is what a forum is all about and this contest is organised by a FORUM...otherwise it would be easy enough to do this www.horrorcontest.com and post it on google

PS. i am not trying to put you down Michael and I am not trying to start a 'who is the best forum-ist' conversation...I am just stating my POV on the subject mostly because you were kind of harsh in your first 2 sentences. I know that you busted your ass, everybody did...so suck it up and start a thread ;-)

cinealma
09-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Maybe it should go to a simple ranking as a whole film instead of ranking a number of different areas for a total score (assuming the voting is planned to be the same as last time). People could just sumbit there top 10 lists.

I'm definitely going to watch all of them, though!

John G.

Michael_Petro
09-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Heres the thread I started before I saw this post

I meant only that I was depressed because I just spend 8 hours (plus the other days ) in the heat trying to finnish my film and im not done yet (this is my first real attempt at making a film). I sat down to start my film pimping:) knowing full well I'm not as talented as allot of people here, but a least hoping it would get a look maybe some feedback too. Sometimes its hard to relay what your feeling in type. And maybe I was just a little tired. but any way all I meant was that it was depressing.

Hey on a brighter note this is my 100th post

cinealma
09-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Heres the thread I started before I saw this post

I meant only that I was depressed because I just spend 8 hours (plus the other days ) in the heat trying to finnish my film and im not done yet (this is my first real attempt at making a film). I sat down to start my film pimping:) knowing full well I'm not as talented as allot of people here, but a least hoping it would get a look maybe some feedback too. Sometimes its hard to relay what your feeling in type. And maybe I was just a little tired. but any way all I meant was that it was depressing.

Hey on a brighter note this is my 100th post

Stay strong, brother. Just finish the film. If you make it time for the fest, that's great. If not, that's ok too. Just do it!

And if you get it into the fest, you bet that I'll watch it!

John G.

VersuS
09-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Hey man, no disrespect whatsoever for your effort and work here! I wanna make this clear. From all the threads so far, I can tell you I lead the worse (in terms of resources and talent) team. I don't even expect to be watched due to the high level of competition and the number of entries and because most people here know each other's work. I don't feel like an outcast but I don't feel like I'm quite there you know, with the rest of 'em. All I wanted from this...all I wanted since the day I said 'let's make stories into movies'..was to create...enjoy this on a personal level and then interact with others who share the same vision. Never did I expect to reach a high level but that is not why I am here. I am here because I love this forum, because I love the guys, because they give me a REASON to continue doing this when the going gets tough.

So about being depressed when you feel that you might not get a chance to get viewed a lot...well man....do you feel good when you watch it? That's what matters...I believe I've got like 10 people in my thread say something nice about my work...believe me...it meant more to me than if I knew that my movie was watched 1000 times...I want the feedback...so what if 1 million hits occur to your movie...dont you wanna know what ONE of them thinks?

If it wasnt for prizes wouldnt you still participate? Why would you do it then? For being part of it....not for the material reward...the reward can be Matt or Jack or Brandon saying 'hey man, looks good, loved the thing you did with the XXX'....

Beat Takeshi
09-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Well, this contest started just to get people off their asses and shoot something but now it seems like its becoming the focus. I guess putting up prizes like an HVX will make this more of just a straight contest now though. Yeah, so far the only one that won that I truely thought was "Texas Fortune", the rest I had other top picks that didn't place either. I feel that the majority of the boards like the high testoterone geared shorts and the ones with great stories but low flash don't get the recognition that they deserve. Our last short put that to the test. We actually said lets just make some cool shit to see how high it will place even though the story was disjointed it placed high. Go figure. Jimthejibs was top for the last contest for me also. He has shown the most improvment of everyone I have seen from his first short, everyone else just seem to move laterally. He has great potential and hope he continues film making.

mameragex
09-04-2006, 12:38 PM
MAYBE! A voting system should be created. That allows you to watch each film and vote on categories you liked or disliked on each film! BUT your votes will only count if you watch and vote for all films in the competition!!!! The winners would be automatically chosen from the person with most votes in any or all categories. In case of a draw THEN the moderators would judge the tie breaker!!! (AHHH I FIGURED IT OUT! thank you, thank you....don't applaud, just throw money!) :nads:

Uhh on second thought, who wants to put the moderators through all that trouble! I say just grab some popcorn, sit back, and try to be as fair as possible and watch as many as you can before casting your first random stone!:badputer:

AS FOR NOW!!! JUST BE READY TO SEE MY THREAD GO UP!!! THEN...................IT"S ON!!!!:kali: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
:costumed-smiley-047 GO VOTE FOOL!!!!

Edgen
09-04-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm dreading the download times of these films. I thought HeroFest was hell to finally download and watch them. Its like a big blockbuster movie. I'm the one that waits till all the hype calms down and I go to see it mid-week. By then, you've missed out on all the good comments, bad comments, and late at chiming your voice and opinion about the film.

I have to admit... I'm looking forward to some of these films just because I've seen them so many times here in the forums and because of their banners and PR work.

rock it.
/j

Brandon Rice
09-04-2006, 01:26 PM
I am hoping they extend the voting period for two or three weeks, as it will take awhile to watch all films (which I plan to do)

Blaine
09-04-2006, 01:38 PM
I think it'll be interesting how many actually enter. I don't think it'll be anywhere near the 104 listed. In fact, I'd be surprised if there were 65 entries.

GageFX
09-04-2006, 02:20 PM
How many were there for Hero? Not nearly this many if I remember. (But I wasnt really paying attention.)

-GageFX

TimurCivan
09-05-2006, 02:15 PM
hero fest had very few wentries if i remeber correctly it wa like 15 or something.

Matt Sconce
09-05-2006, 03:13 PM
about 26 entries.

TimurCivan
09-05-2006, 03:17 PM
yea u right

CookFX Productions
09-05-2006, 07:39 PM
See i came into this so late and my talent has changed on me twice I'm filming this one way or another i just dont know if it will be for this contest and that sucks. I havent bothered with the PR work yet because there isn't any to build off of besides a script with no title yet. It's getting frustrating. I wanna enter, but if no ones gonna watch because this festival is all just on PR hype whats the point. Wish I would of stumbled on to this site months ago. not a month of less ago.

TimurCivan
09-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Welcome to the professional world. This is how everything works. Its great practice for people who really want to be filmmmakers. ITs a business and advertising is very much a part of it.

CookFX Productions
09-05-2006, 08:35 PM
That i truly understand what Im saying is i just wish i would of found this place earlier and had time to do the thing the way the needed to be done. I mean. Who knows, I still might be able to get a thread up, i dont care about winning at all, the camera means nothing to me, i just want people to watch what i filmed. Because If i can a name for the darn thing, its so hard to come up with a name for because its a little different. That I'd like to get feed back on the makeup, and fx that Im using thats the point. Even though thats not my chosen field in film. I'll be behind a desk the rest of my life working with composites, 3D work, So i would hope the only selling id have to do would be to the people who gave the work to me.

TimurCivan
09-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Yea too bad about finding out late. but hey, rack your brain come up with a simple elegant solution. Do it fast and get it in. Throw up a Cool poster and people will listen.

VersuS
09-05-2006, 09:55 PM
don't give up man, try your best....I have to deal with people that I send scripts, shotlists, I talk to them about the scenes and I end up getting 'you don't quite tell us what it is you want from us...'.............:S I MEAN>.....DUHHHHH!!!!

sometimes the concept of S1MONE is sooooooooo real...

TheatreGuy
09-06-2006, 05:20 AM
Great advice in this thread. Glad that I read it.

I, too, am a late-starter but am preparing to enter in this festival. Not for the prize, though that would be very nice, but for the experience.

I am challenging myself to make this short film. I have wanted to and talked about making movies for years. Now I own a camera capable of incredible imagery. So I am going to submit even if it is not the finished product that I see in my mind. It will be a great exercise for me.

One (of many) questions that I have, especially after reading this thread and the talk of promotion... how do you post that banner in the signature line? Is there guidelines on that?

Dario Nieva
09-06-2006, 05:39 AM
Gunna have to jump on that PR bandwagon myself, don't want all the big names to hog the votes ;P

VersuS
09-06-2006, 06:34 AM
Great advice in this thread. Glad that I read it.

One (of many) questions that I have, especially after reading this thread and the talk of promotion... how do you post that banner in the signature line? Is there guidelines on that?

There are some rules about the size this banner must have, unfortunately I dont remember .... and it's quite easy to make a hyperlink to your movie's thread attached to the banner once you upload it in your signature.
To make a signature just go to your account's CP and edit signature ;-)

TheatreGuy
09-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Thanks John!

I will look around for those dimensions.

Mark Harris
09-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Thanks John!

I will look around for those dimensions.

569X70 for signature banners.

TheatreGuy
09-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks again!

cinealma
09-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Probably too late for this time, but with so many entries, it might be a good idea to do the judging like Amazon did with their short film contests. That is, each person who wants to judge only gets to rate a certain number of films, I'd say less than ten for a DVXUser contest. AND, these films are chosen by random. That way, it insures everybody gets voted on and gets a fair shake.

Just an idea.

John G.

FlintMI
09-06-2006, 10:08 AM
I try to watch as many as I can. And in fact, in the last go-round, one of the best ones in my eyes, did not even place. It was JimTheJib's Hero entry. A 17 old who shows great timing/editing/writing abilities.

Likewise, in Sci-Fest, I remember one that I don't think placed, but was a favorite of mine.

So yeah, now I know that if you take some time to watch them all, you find some gems that may not get the massive promotion.

JimTheJib's deserved an award like "best new artist" or "most potential" or something like that... how are ya Jim?

JimtheJib
09-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Hey. i'm doing great. Thanks Aram, Desperate comfort and Flint MI. What you said means alot to me. I was going to make a horror film with msmanhattan but i had a very busy summer, and on top of that i have to deal with college admissions, sats, senior year, and lots more BS, so i had to bail out. Plus the parents were against me making this film. I was looking forward to it so much. Anyway, when all of this passes and is over the first thing im doing is making another one!@
thanks again

TimurCivan
09-06-2006, 03:42 PM
KIDDOOO!!!!!!!! Aww man i wanted to DP your short!!!!!! Next time..... i guess :)

TheatreGuy
09-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Well, I know that there will be a lot, A LOT of viewing of Horror shorts, but I for one, am looking forward to it. Yes... many hours, but should be fun and a great learning experience.

But I do agree that the judging may be unbalanced due to the anticipation of entries by established award-winning filmmakers and the like as well as the heavy promotions of others.

I guess in that respect, they deserve the attention.

Inexistence
09-07-2006, 07:15 PM
I don't expect to have my short viewed by many but, that's something I've already
accepted. Niether am I eligible to vote in this contest but, I am planning to watch all
the films because it sounds like fun to me. Everyone wants to be entertained. Why
deprive yourself of that? I'm more than willing to find that needle in the haystack.

I'm pretty new to all this and have been wanting to make films for many years.
I hope I can contribute to this forum and learn from everyone's experiences here.

TheatreGuy
09-07-2006, 08:14 PM
That's excellent Inexistence! Good for you. I share your thoughts exactly.

BTW, what is the title of your entry?

Steve_Arm
09-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Morning,
the truth is that there will be top notch films and not top notch films. You can skip watching the top notch film and estimate the voting numbers but that would be unfair. I think the voting period should be very long so each one can watch the flicks concentrated. I can watch 10 films continuously but then probably I will start "skipping" stuff. So around 2 weeks and maybe more would be good.

TheatreGuy
09-08-2006, 03:27 AM
So around 2 weeks and maybe more would be good.
Oh, jeez... I hope that there is at least 2 weeks to watch the entries!!! I'm counting on it!

I know that, more than likely, not every intended entry will be completed and/or actually submitted but I imagine that there is still going to be a lot of entries. Obviously, this will require quite a bit of time for anyone to view fairly.

Having never participated in one of these festivals, I am just learning the rules and procedures along the way... but I do hope that there is some consideration given to the amount of entries.

And speaking of on all of this, what is the anticipated viewing/voting time. I am hoping that there is a sufficient amount of for viewers/voters to have the opportunity to see them all or at least last long enough so if there is a "sleeper" that a buzz may grab some attention.

Charli
09-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Don't sweat it. Buy the dvd. I'm buying two.

TheatreGuy
09-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Oh yeah, I plan on that! (buying the dvd) I just meant that I hope that the judging period is a sufficient amount of time to view all of the entries.