PDA

View Full Version : A1 Equipment List.

Kholi
09-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Here's everything I'm interested in purchasing along with my A1 if I can hold out that long. I'm researching, but maybe it'd be a good idea to let others know that are as ignorant as myself on the subject.

Firestore/Citidisk for HDV: 100gb hard-drive for either. But, does anyone know if these work with Canon's 24f mode at all? I need to do more research, but those interested in the A1/G1 might want to know this as well.

Century Optics Wide Angle: Lens is already wide, let's make it wider!

Canon HV10 (msrp 1,299.99): HDV Consumer cam. Does anyone know if this will play back the 24f, though ?

M2/LetUs35 adoption: Definitely on the to buy list, if not right after the Firestore or before. Already have lenses just-a-waitin'.

Kona Aja Capture card: For tethered shoots. This is another one high-up on the list, after Elton's shed light on the idea of Analog capture to a better codec. Though the HDV is great as well. It'd be nice if you could install this into a new Mac Intel Mini or the older Mac Minis with a heap of ram. That's a nice tethered solution, maybe.

Aja Component to SDI adapter: For use with the Apple 23" display in my case. Field monitoring solution, for myself.

That's about it for now. I think my main concern would be choosing between the Firestore for capture or just going HV10 as a deck. Just as well,

Elton
09-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Here's everything I'm interested in purchasing along with my A1 if I can hold out that long. I'm researching, but maybe it'd be a good idea to let others know that are as ignorant as myself on the subject.

Firestore/Citidisk for HDV: 100gb hard-drive for either. But, does anyone know if these work with Canon's 24f mode at all? I need to do more research, but those interested in the A1/G1 might want to know this as well.

The Firestore C *I believe* records a demuxed version of the 24F HDV stream (without repeat flags) that gives you a 24p .m2v file which you can edit in a 1080 24p HDV timeline. The older HDV Firestore simply records the .m2t files and you need to use MPEG Streamclip to encode to a good QT intermediate format at 24p.

They should all work fine but Firestore C might be slightly more "instant editable".

Century Optics Wide Angle: Lens is already wide, let's make it wider!

I hear the .8x is the best in terms of sharpness and minimal barrel distortion. I believe it gets you to about 26mm which is plenty wide for most purposes and is zoom-thru capable.

Canon HV10 (msrp 1,299.99): HDV Consumer cam. Does anyone know if this will play back the 24f, though ?

Yes, it does 24F playback.

M2/LetUs35 adoption: Definitely on the to buy list, if not right after the Firestore or before. Already have lenses just-a-waitin'.

I hear the Brevis35 has less light loss. If it's relatively sharp I think I'd go with it for the added sensitivity and it looks like it's a little less of a space hog compared to the venerable M2.

Kona Aja Capture card: For tethered shoots. This is another one high-up on the list, after Elton's shed light on the idea of Analog capture to a better codec. Though the HDV is great as well. It'd be nice if you could install this into a new Mac Intel Mini or the older Mac Minis with a heap of ram. That's a nice tethered solution, maybe.

You'd need a full PCI-X or PCI Express MacPro or G5. Actually, the Blackmagic Extreme card is cheaper and does all the same stuff. Both cards do PCI-X for older G5's (I think) and the newer PCI-Express for the Quad and MacPro.

Aja Component to SDI adapter: For use with the Apple 23" display in my case. Field monitoring solution, for myself.

Very useful for monitoring or sending the component analog of the A1 through SDI which will give you longer cable runs for tethered shots.

That's about it for now. I think my main concern would be choosing between the Firestore for capture or just going HV10 as a deck. Just as well,

I think I'd get the camera and wait for the hard drive solutions to get cheaper. That camera could be a lot of fun.

tnle2
09-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Haha, I was thinking of posting an accessory/equipment list too. Here is my list:

- Wide Angle Converter. Either the Century Optics .8x HD 72mm or the Canon dedicated .8x converter WD-H72. The Century looks lighter but the Canon has a dedicated hood.

http://cweb.canon.jp/prodv/accessory/img/pop/1724B001.jpg

- TA-100 tripod adapter

http://cweb.canon.jp/prodv/accessory/img/pop/9859A001.jpg

- Zoe Lanc Controller

- Audio Technica AT-4073A short shotgun or Sanken CS-1 short shotgun

- Rycote Softie. This may not clear the lens. If it doesn't, I'll mount a K-Tek shockmount to the mic holder to space it higher.

- HV10 for deck and home videos. According to DVInfo, this unit will play back 24F. The guys over there are trying to petition Canon to make it also RECORD 24F.

Kholi
09-02-2006, 06:21 PM
The Firestore C *I believe* records a demuxed version of the 24F HDV stream (without repeat flags) that gives you a 24p .m2v file which you can edit in a 1080 24p HDV timeline. The older HDV Firestore simply records the .m2t files and you need to use MPEG Streamclip to encode to a good QT intermediate format at 24p.
Thanks for that. That made up my decision on which way to go. The capture process sucks, but at least I can run the HV10 into the ground instead of the A1.

I hear the .8x is the best in terms of sharpness and minimal barrel distortion. I believe it gets you to about 26mm which is plenty wide for most purposes and is zoom-thru capable.
Nice. .8x it is for non-adapter shoots.

I hear the Brevis35 has less light loss. If it's relatively sharp I think I'd go with it for the added sensitivity and it looks like it's a little less of a space hog compared to the venerable M2.

Is the Brevis35 what Disjecta uses? I have to search. I thought he used a LetUs. M2 is turning out great pictures, as well. That's why it was a consideration.

You'd need a full PCI-X or PCI Express MacPro or G5. Actually, the Blackmagic Extreme card is cheaper and does all the same stuff. Both cards do PCI-X for older G5's (I think) and the newer PCI-Express for the Quad and MacPro.
Done. I run a G5 with PCI express, so it's good. Thanks for giving me the option for the Blackmagic! I looked it up and it IS much cheaper. GREAT!

Very useful for monitoring or sending the component analog of the A1 through SDI which will give you longer cable runs for tethered shots. That's what I thought. Do you have any idea of how long you can get with the Analog signal before it starts to crap out?

So it looks like:

Century Optics .8 Wide Angle
Canon HV10
Blackmagic Card for Tethered capture
Letus/Brevis/m2 Adapter
Audio Technica Mic (Already have this, though. Thanks for the reminder, tnle2)

Sounds like a plan to me. Now if it'd only hurry up before I decide to say screw it and split an HVX.

Kholi
09-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Haha, I was thinking of posting an accessory/equipment list too. Here is my list:

- Wide Angle Converter. Either the Century Optics .8x HD 72mm or the Canon dedicated .8x converter WD-H72. The Century looks lighter but the Canon has a dedicated hood.

http://cweb.canon.jp/prodv/accessory/img/pop/1724B001.jpg

- TA-100 tripod adapter

http://cweb.canon.jp/prodv/accessory/img/pop/9859A001.jpg

- Zoe Lanc Controller

- Audio Technica AT-4073A short shotgun or Sanken CS-1 short shotgun

- Rycote Softie. This may not clear the lens. If it doesn't, I'll mount a K-Tek shockmount to the mic holder to space it higher.

- HV10 for deck and home videos. According to DVInfo, this unit will play back 24F. The guys over there are trying to petition Canon to make it also RECORD 24F.

For the petition, well, the first shipment of the HV10 will be in September yeah? Sooo I think they're already on their way to the stores. I guess next release? But I'd have to get mines now. In fact, I might get an HV10 to play with to keep myself at bay for the A1. =P

Noel Evans
09-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Would have to go the century wide angle for matte box applications. Does this have zoom through?