PDA

View Full Version : David Fincher shooting with Viper

rawfa
08-24-2006, 01:22 AM
I just saw an interview with David Fincher about his next movie (Zodiac) and I found out he is shooting it with a Viper and editing it in DVC-PRO HD on final cut. Cool, huh.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=169&item=0

Slimothy
08-24-2006, 02:05 AM
Good clip.

Ramon Boutviseth
09-04-2006, 01:26 PM
I wonder what they shot the interviews with

rawfa
09-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Here is what they used in the interviews:

http://img.search.com/c/c5/300px-Sony_SL-F1_camera.jpg

;-)

J.R. Hudson
09-04-2006, 01:32 PM
And film takes another step closer to death ....

(Muahahahahha)

Elton
09-04-2006, 01:56 PM
How are they legally able to repost that clip? I saw that some time ago when it was posted on Apple's FCP site. I believe it's an Apple production.

It's a wild web out there, isn't it?

Elton
09-04-2006, 02:01 PM
And film takes another step closer to death ....

(Muahahahahha)

Nah, it's just going to transform into the force.

Mourn not, miss it do not. Patience young padowan.

J.R. Hudson
09-04-2006, 03:44 PM
(what the .........?)

Hi Elton ! :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Elton
09-04-2006, 03:50 PM
I take it your not a big Star Wars fan? Yoda references can be a bit cerebral. ;)

Hi John 'the film hater' Hudson!

:)

J.R. Hudson
09-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Oh, I get it now

(Film is dying, not dying but turning blue and ghosty looking ...)

Slow today

-

I don't hate film Elton. Just eternally happy for Digital filmmaking in my lifetime.

Jared Meyer
09-04-2006, 04:41 PM
They just finished shooting parts of the Zodiac down the street from where I live (Napa, CA). Seemed like a strange location - They took over this crappy little underdeveloped, almost abandoned 'retail' area (that really needs to be bulldozed) and were shooting inside VERY SMALL buildings - a one room barber shop and a one room local bank for about one week. It's about 50 yards from the freeway, so I saw them setting up and breaking down every day.

I was always trying to get a good luck at the gear, but couldn't. I had no idea he was using the Viper. That's very cool news.

I asked one of the guys on set about the schedule and he said they were in Napa for five days, on to Reno for 10...Not sure if that's the entire schedule, but still, sounds like the beauty of digital to me!

Cheesesailor77
09-04-2006, 05:18 PM
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/

been waiting for this movie since I first heard about it almost 2 years ago. It feels so close now, just a few short months. I hope i havnt built it up to where it can never meet my expectations lol

Elton
09-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Hopefully Fincher does a better job of showcasing the Viper. Michael Mann certainly didn't make a good case for it.

Elton
09-04-2006, 09:20 PM
I don't hate film Elton. Just eternally happy for Digital filmmaking in my lifetime.

The only thing missing from Digital is the slight sense of mystery and happy accidents that film can invoke. Telecine felt like some kind of birthing process that you just don't get with video technology...but it's a nostalgic notion at best.

35mm cost me dearly to shoot when I was in film school, but given the choice today there is absolutely no reason to learn on film. It was an expensive canvas to make mistakes with. And to this day all I have to show for it is my negative and a DV master copy of the finished product.

Cheesesailor77
09-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Hopefully Fincher does a better job of showcasing the Viper. Michael Mann certainly didn't make a good case for it.

he already has, he's shot a bunch of commercials with the viper for a few years now and they all look amazing. He's hasn't used film since Panic Room, in fact he wanted to shoot Panic Room digitally and Sony said no. Since then he grabbed a Viper and didn't look back.

maverickstunts
09-04-2006, 09:53 PM
i worked on this project in San Francisco and in L.A.. It was pretty amazing. One night we shot in the Tenderloin with one 10 k light up., Rain birds working and Jake Gyllenhaall did 72 takes of one shot. He was pissed. It was a run down the street in the rain, no dialogue. He and David did not get along.....

Stas_Tagios
09-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Here's a Showreel mag article on the use of the Viper for "Zodiac":

http://www.showreel.org/memberarea/article.php?174

Cheesesailor77
09-04-2006, 10:05 PM
two fincher clips shot on viper:

http://www.claudiomiranda.com/xelibrimov.html

http://www.claudiomiranda.com/heinekenlg.html

Cheesesailor77
09-04-2006, 10:14 PM
IMDB now lists Zodiac as 2007! Damnit!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

omg that pisses me off! :(

rawfa
09-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Directors Label (or any other) should do a "Work of director..." kind of thing with comercial directors too. I'd love to see David Finchers' early stuff...him and a bunch of other cool comercial directors.

Slimothy
09-06-2006, 12:14 PM
i worked on this project in San Francisco and in L.A.. It was pretty amazing. One night we shot in the Tenderloin with one 10 k light up., Rain birds working and Jake Gyllenhaall did 72 takes of one shot. He was pissed. It was a run down the street in the rain, no dialogue. He and David did not get along.....
wow. Why'd he have him do 72 takes?!!!

rawfa
09-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Fincher spent like 2 hours shooting the soap for Fight Club. He must have some sort of Kubrik sindrome.

Filmjunkie677
09-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Oh yeah, he's a perfectionist.

He did the same thing for Se7en, 100 takes here, 100 takes there... lol.

And that was film... At least on Zodiac, he's shooting digital, so 72 takes doesn't seem so bad.

I feel for Fincher's editor....

Cheesesailor77
09-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Directors Label (or any other) should do a "Work of director..." kind of thing with comercial directors too. I'd love to see David Finchers' early stuff...him and a bunch of other cool comercial directors.

Directors label puts commercials on their DVDs too (most music video directors do commercials at some point) and considering David Fincher was a premier music video director of the late 80's, i don't think that's why he doesnt have a dvd.

rawfa
09-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Yes, he did stuff for Madona, Aerosmith, etc. It would be awesome to see a Work of Director with him