PDA

View Full Version : Oh I wish it where just a little more than 6min

mameragex
08-21-2006, 11:58 PM
I got a pretty decent script. and to fully be able to explain it visually I'm really going to need a lil more than six min. Even though I already know the answer. I wish I could get maybe 8mins. But anyhow now I gotta figure out how to chop it down. :Drogar-Sick(DBG): :crybaby: :furious3: <----these are the moderators cursing me out for whining about it.

Barry_Green
08-22-2006, 12:06 AM
No way will the contest time be extended. Do the math, we have -- what, 90 entrants so far? Times 8 minutes each? That would take one person 12 HOURS to watch all the films (assuming no breaks inbetween). It's just unmanageable.

If your idea can't work in six minutes or less, think twice about whether this is the right contest for that idea. In one of the prior festivals we had someone who made a 20-minute short but cut a six-minute version for the festival. Didn't work.

Of course, we also had a case where someone had a three-minute film and they decided they wanted to pad it to fill it out, so they added about two minutes of credits(!) Not the right way to go. Shorter is okay -- nobody will penalize you for shorter, instead they'll applaud. Keep your story tight, focused, and sharp. If it takes 8 minutes, it's probably not right for this contest. If it fits in under six minutes, great. If it fits in under three minutes, that's even better. If it's a super-scary 30-second horror film, that'll probably win! :)

mameragex
08-22-2006, 12:35 AM
See I knew I was gonna get cussed out.:nads:

I understand and apologise. I selfishly didn't calculate the actucal numbers. (But hay, I figured it was worth a try) :)

Thanx for the breakdown:dankk2:

Barry_Green
08-22-2006, 12:54 AM
You are in no way "cussed out"! :)

Your request is very common, but sometimes people don't realize the impact it has all across the board. Some people asked for a 20-minute time limit. We just can't do that unless we change the very nature of the contest (i.e., nobody but the best get in) and Jarred has declared that that is NOT the way this contest will go, this is a contest for the community so we're not gonna just arbitrarily kick filmmakers out. So the only way to go, so far, is the time limit.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with! :)

mameragex
08-22-2006, 01:07 AM
Thanx. Coming from you, that really means a lot.

I'll try my best!:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

GenJerDan
08-22-2006, 02:15 AM
If your idea can't work in six minutes or less, think twice about whether this is the right contest for that idea. In one of the prior festivals we had someone who made a 20-minute short but cut a six-minute version for the festival. Didn't work.

Hardly ever does. It always feels like there are things missing...maybe because there are. :)

When the story is chopped up or chopped down for time constraints, you're pretty much left with having to judge on technique alone, which isn't the best way to go. Like it has been said elswhere too many times to count, a good story done less than perfectly beats a well executed bit of nothing.

Charli
08-22-2006, 07:28 AM
max - just kill your protag within the first 4 mins, that will do it.

I know, I know, I'm no help.

Jack Daniel Stanley
08-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Start from your climax and resolutiuon.
K. How many pages is the end? If your ending is 5 pages can it be shorter? Can you just start there? If the answer to both of those things is "No" then you need a new idea.

If you can start by writing your end and get it between 1 and 3 pages, then you can write backwards from there. If you can't set it up in 2 to 4 pages, so your script is 5 or 6 pages, then again you need a new idea.

Good luck!

griffin
08-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally I thought that our movie (UNRELENTING...) was going to be under 6 minutes but once we started writing it got to be about 13 pages. We kept changing and adding things. Instead of rewriting everything, we're going to shoot it all and cut it down in post. We pretty much know what we can cut out and what isn't as significant as other parts, but we want to have all of the footage incase some how we do make it down to 6 minutes with out cutting things out.

Another reason why ours was so long was because we didn't write it 100% like a real script and in some of the scenes, Jon and I were very descriptive.

JDS has good advice about working back. What one of my professors once told me was if you lose a research paper/script/etc then start writing it again and you won't be able to remember everything with it, which is good, because the things that you remember will be the important parts.

mameragex
08-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys...You too Charli:huh:

(Really good advice Jack Tanx)

I think I may have figured out how to keep my story and all sequences intact!
without chopping too much. I'm actually glad I had to go through this because this is basically a test of my skills as a movie maker. I think all of the greats went through it one time or another. (even though this is NOTHING close to a full feature film...I will still treat it as such.:)

But...we will see in the end. BooHee hee haa haa!:Drogar-Evil(DBG):

thank you all:happy:

Psynema
08-23-2006, 04:33 AM
Still can't believe this contest is free considering all the man hours of watching.

Next time someone asks for more minutes you should charge them like $5 per second.:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Psynema
08-23-2006, 04:35 AM
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys...You too Charli:huh:

(Really good advice Jack Tanx)

I think I may have figured out how to keep my story and all sequences intact!
without chopping too much. I'm actually glad I had to go through this because this is basically a test of my skills as a movie maker. I think all of the greats went through it one time or another. (even though this is NOTHING close to a full feature film...I will still treat it as such.:)

But...we will see in the end. BooHee hee haa haa!:Drogar-Evil(DBG):

thank you all:happy:

6 minutes is really long for a short film btw, believe it or not.

A well made short film that is 3-4 minutes long can be very filling.

You should check out that site that remakes popular films in 30 seconds with animated bunnies for inspiration :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

GenJerDan
08-23-2006, 05:22 AM
6 minutes is really long for a short film btw, believe it or not.

A well made short film that is 3-4 minutes long can be very filling.

You should check out that site that remakes popular films in 30 seconds with animated bunnies for inspiration :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Or almost any decent music video. The good ones do tell a story, often a good story. And they can do it in under 5 minutes. :)

mameragex
08-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Yeah... i know. But I had a storyline that would have been amazing to try, but due to the time constraints, It would have been impossible to do in 6min. But I also didn't consider the viewing time. And I probably wouldn't mind even paying the five bucks per extra minute:).

Anyway. I've decided to keep the script and shoot it for myself. But I also have a new script idea that is just as good or better that I can fit well within 6 min or less.
:Drogar-Evil(DBG): :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)