PDA

View Full Version : Fest Judging: How's this one going to go?

Kholi
08-15-2006, 02:52 PM
I know that it's probably going to be standard... BUT:

How's the winner of this one going to be judged with the new "Pimping" thing added?

Is movie pimping going to be a factor on the ballet that affects the overall scoring?

Or is the winner based souly on the movie itself, not all the BTS and goodies?

Blaine
08-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Nothing is ever perfect. The advance "marketing" of all the movies is a double-edged sword. While it may start a "feeding frenzy" it also has to potential to hurt if the movie itself doesn't live up to the hype.

Personalities are always a problem, too. Names can carry weight. They can also disappoint. Sure it's nice to win, but we don't want to lose sight of what these fests are all about: learning and growing as filmmakers through "friendly" competition. In the end, everyone who completes an entry is a winner because they actually got out and did something.

Everyone will have their own subjective grading scale and we can only hope to provide them with something they will enjoy. Obviously, winning the prizes and "looking good" to your peers would be a great thing, but the true winning is in the doing.

EDIT: boy does that sound like a bunch of psycho-babble bullshi*. Forget I said anything...:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Kholi
08-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah seriously.

LOL.

No, but seriously... seriously...

It's all about doing something--- with a new HVX after you win it.

LOL

Okay no seriously. I just wanted to know how that was going to work. If the marketing thing was going to be factored in as well.

Blaine
08-15-2006, 03:17 PM
If the marketing thing was going to be factored in as well.
If you're asking if the marketing thing will actually have a category...no.
If you're asking if people will be swayed by the marketing...invariably, one way or the other. :)

Kholi
08-15-2006, 03:18 PM
If you're asking if the marketing thing will actually have a category...no. If you're asking if people will be swayed by the marketing...invariably, one way or the other. :)

I was going to say a certain person's name here but that's unfair to condemn him like that.

I guess the heat really is on...

Brandon Rice
08-15-2006, 03:20 PM
LOL... I know... just call me out, ok Kholi! :):):)

arielman
08-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Blaine (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/member.php?u=10394) " Sure it's nice to win, but we don't want to lose sight of what these fests are all about: learning and growing as filmmakers through "friendly" competition. In the end, everyone who completes an entry is a winner because they actually got out and did something. "

I couldn't agree more .
Ian

VersuS
08-15-2006, 07:21 PM
I agree with the above. Contests like this one are a motivation for me not because of the prizes but because of the themes and the challenge. It's already so hard for us with our work and social lives etc to get together as much as we want and film stuff, so a motivation like horrorfest is always welcome. I wish I was smart enough to pay more attention to previous Fests.

Mark Johnson
08-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Nicely said Blaine. Say, when is the DVD of all the entries expected to be available? I'd like to have a little party for my horror friends and screen all the shorts. In fact, I'll extend VIP invites to any of you filmmakers who want to come (it will probably be in Vegas).

Blaine
08-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Jarred said he wanted to have it ready for Halloween.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=601291&postcount=46

Alex DePew
08-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Nicely said Blaine. Say, when is the DVD of all the entries expected to be available? I'd like to have a little party for my horror friends and screen all the shorts. In fact, I'll extend VIP invites to any of you filmmakers who want to come (it will probably be in Vegas).

Plane fair included? :)

Also, I think the voting for the best of the fest shouldn't be a mathematical formula based on individual attributes of the films. People know what they like and should be able to pick their favorites irrelevant of whether they have special effects or any other factors. It should be like The Oscars. The best film is a category not a sum of the other awards. Crash won best picture but it might have lost out to King Kong if we parceled out the categories.