PDA

View Full Version : XL-H1, A1, G1 owners...your playback deck has arrived (kinda)

PANA-MAN
08-02-2006, 11:49 AM
As if news of the A1 weren't enough....

http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/canon/hv10overview.php

Get ready to retire the notion of using your XL-H1 or A1, G1 as a playback deck
as this little baby will do 24f and 30f in VCR mode.

Emanuel
08-02-2006, 12:35 PM
As I said to rawfa, the first one to add the link among us, it would deserve its own thread. And you added your point as HDV deck. Good input to debate. HDV is alive! Now we're waiting for the AVC-HD as professional format as Barry are predicting and lobbying. Can they answer our most deep needs instead their own interests?

Elton
08-02-2006, 03:28 PM
I submit that this would be a decent backup...but you should use a Firestore C for a deck.

What I mean is roll tape as a backup, but record with a hard disk device and avoid the capture process altogether.

PANA-MAN
08-03-2006, 12:29 PM
I submit that this would be a decent backup...but you should use a Firestore C for a deck.

What I mean is roll tape as a backup, but record with a hard disk device and avoid the capture process altogether.

I hear ya, Elton. I guess I'm still one of those guys who's still out to lunch on my decision regarding digital storage when it comes to my footage. My skewed but personal choice is to use the Firestore as a backup despite its flexibility, usability over tape medium.
No logic here, just some fear I'm working through.
I'll get there one day....:)

Antoine_Fabi
08-04-2006, 01:10 PM
If you capture 30 clips from a tape, that's hard work for the mechanism (positioning etc...) ...but if you capture all the 60 minutes from the tape, it is not very hard on the tape mechanism i think.

Elton
08-04-2006, 11:46 PM
If you capture 30 clips from a tape, that's hard work for the mechanism (positioning etc...) ...but if you capture all the 60 minutes from the tape, it is not very hard on the tape mechanism i think.

I usually capture entire tapes in one pass and then make sub-clips. With hard drive space so cheap I find that it's not a big deal to just ingest it all and then sort it out afterwards.

Eventually I'll get a Firestore.

Also, people need to remember that HDV isn't like DV as far as full deck operation goes. You can't "live scrub" the timeline through firewire and pass through the camera to an HD monitor. The only way to monitor the timeline to a HD display is to use an AJA Kona/Xena or Blackmagic card. I use the Kona and it works great.