PDA

View Full Version : what not to do?

KOVAROVA
07-21-2006, 06:45 PM
what would be the worst cliche or overused effect / device to avoid when making a horror movie?

Blaine
07-21-2006, 06:52 PM
The monster is never dead and always comes back for one more shot...:thumbsup:

Ben Sliker
07-21-2006, 07:10 PM
i think it is less about the effect and more about it's placement. Like the push/pull for instance, has been used quite effectively and quite poorly.

King_Dontae
07-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Having someone fall while running from the killer, having someone killed before or while they're having sex, not having any minorities live till the end, etc...

Kholi
07-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Hnot having any minorities live till the end, etc...

Dunno if this is a cliche as much as a product of production/casting decisions.

Matt Sconce
07-21-2006, 11:10 PM
having the person who sees the monster just stand there screaming until they are finally killed.

i_&_t
07-22-2006, 11:31 AM
having a girl do nothing but scream throughout the entire movie.

Filmjunkie677
07-22-2006, 12:05 PM
A character saying, "I'll be right back" when we all know they won't be.

Dario Nieva
07-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Following any of the "Scream" rules for a horror movie ;P

D_and_G
07-27-2006, 03:39 PM
If you've seen it before don't do it. And write the script that way.

I know it's a genre and there are conventions and tropes and whatnot, but for this fest it would be cool to see some people push the definition of horror, and reinvent it.

I think some peeps need to try and stop the mimic of Hollywood story and script iterations. Of course you can call BS on me, since I haven't shown a f-in thing yet. :grin: But that's me 3 pence.

:beer:

RED # wish I was higher

Barry_Green
07-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Y'know, D & G, that's exactly what I was going to write.

"If you've ever seen it done before, don't put it in your movie."

Kholi
07-27-2006, 03:55 PM
If you've seen it before don't do it. And write the script that way.

I know it's a genre and there are conventions and tropes and whatnot, but for this fest it would be cool to see some people push the definition of horror, and reinvent it.

I think some peeps need to try and stop the mimic of Hollywood story and script iterations. Of course you can call BS on me, since I haven't shown a f-in thing yet. :grin: But that's me 3 pence.

RED # wish I was higher

I'm in the same boat: Just because you haven't done anything doesn't mean you can't have an opinion. At the least, which is still great, you're an audience member and you know what you want to see or what you don't want to see.

However-- I wouldn't be the one waiting around for an original idea to pop up.

You'd be better off trying to improve the design of the wheel as opposed to reinventing it.

D_and_G
07-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Hey there Kholi.

Actually, I have directed before (a ways back and in film school) and currently write/co-produce , so I have a wee bit of experience, just nothing I've shown here yet :beer:
I'm moving back into directing and less on the writing and co-producing bailiwick (without the creative interference of financial partners). Anyway, I do agree with you that audience members can contribute valuable evaluation, regardless.

As to "reinvention" ? Well maybe it's just semantics and you could call it reimagining. It's not the concept of the wheel, but the execution of its design, we are talking about here. The point is to tell the story with a fresh voice, and a unique viewpoint. Look at it from a macro level, core themes, characters etc... It may be a lot to ask for 5-6 minutes, but IMHO, that's something to consider - a fresh perspective.-

Likewise, for all of you doing homages etc...that doesn't mean they can't be extremely creative in the reimagining (Pulp Fiction, for example).
Again, just me 3 pence.

Cheers.

RED # wish I was higher

Kholi
07-27-2006, 05:16 PM
As to "reinvention" ? Well maybe it's just semantics and you could call it reimagining. It's not the concept of the wheel, but the execution of its design, we are talking about here. The point is to tell the story with a fresh voice, and a unique viewpoint. Look at it from a macro level, core themes, characters etc... It may be a lot to ask for 5-6 minutes, but IMHO, that's something to consider - a fresh perspective.-

Likewise, for all of you doing homages etc...that doesn't mean they can't be extremely creative in the reimagining (Pulp Fiction, for example).
Again, just me 3 pence.

Cheers.

RED # wish I was higher

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Or, even better--

What we're both referring to is PRESENTATION.

So, yeah, let's see some fresh presentations.

Y'know? If I can get my brain out of the stars and actually come up with an idea that I can do without using too much of my savings for another project... I'll enter. Just have to figure it out.

CallaghanFilms
07-27-2006, 07:06 PM
what not to do?
suck.

Drew Ott
07-27-2006, 10:19 PM
suck.

I'd say Callaghan knows how to make a good horror movie. :)

tshark
07-28-2006, 01:48 AM
I think that most horror films are just cheesy, unless you have a good script, and most importantly, good actors that can actually sell their roles and aren’t just trying to act "scared" or "horrified" but really come across like something is seriously wrong and they are scared out of their mind. You can have great camera effects, great cinematography, and an amazing editing job, BUT if the script sucks and/or the actors suck, then all you got is just a lot of fluff and no substance.

soeborg
07-31-2006, 06:33 PM
I think you should just tell your story and not worry about what to do and what not. Just do what ever you like, and you think is good. Dont try to satisfy anyone. Oh, and if youve got nothing to say.. please dont ;)

Charli
08-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Is there ever a horror flick in which the girl does not scream?
In which the girl does not have big boobs?
In which the boyfriend gets done in first?

It's not about the cliche, it's about how and if you can keep the audience
entertained, now here's the thing about horror flicks, truly in the end,
the audience isn't expecting you to reinvent the wheel, they just want to
be

SCARED TO DEATH!

Charli
Coming at you with a drill (chainsaw been done before)

Logan LeBlanc
08-01-2006, 09:15 AM
I think I saw the worst cliche rear it's head when I watched the remake of "A Stranger Calls." The hot blonde friend is driving an '06 Toyota and when the killers after her....it magically won't start. I hope they'll reveal in some Movie Serial Killer documentary that they ALL own a device that can make a car crap out on command.

mrpunch
08-01-2006, 11:31 AM
... they just want to

be

SCARED TO DEATH!

Charli

EXACTLY! Stop with the "Don't do that"! Let's just add a category for BEST USE OF CLICHE!

Kholi
08-01-2006, 02:12 PM
And please keep the hooters in your films (if you are so inclined) I am pro-hooter. :beer: :beer: :beer:

RED# wish I was higher

It's hard to tell if you're advocating hooters or not.

You guys should put whatever works in your shorts. Just make one.

And yeah, I'm trying to enter as well.

Alex DePew
08-01-2006, 07:15 PM
having the person who sees the monster just stand there screaming until they are finally killed.
Hey! Stop trivializing my ideas. It will so be awesome when the blonde, big boobed chick stands frozen and screams until the mask wearing, psycho killer slowly walks towards her weilding his knife(No, machete! No, chainsaw. No Wait! I got it, drill!!!!sorry charli!:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)) and drills her, but hard.

Sweet! I can see it now. It will be a brilliant commentary on how psychos have repressed breast feeding issues and want to have sex with their mothers.

GenJerDan
08-02-2006, 03:11 AM

Blood Sucking Freaks

A drill.

And a straw.

:)

Texture
08-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Hey! Stop trivializing my ideas. It will so be awesome when the blonde, big boobed chick stands frozen and screams until the mask wearing, psycho killer slowly walks towards her weilding his knife(No, machete! No, chainsaw. No Wait! I got it, drill!!!!sorry charli!:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)) and drills her, but hard.
Ooops. Sorry Alex, DePalma used a drill in Body Double. Has any psycho assaulted their victim with a bad paper cut? I've never seen that!!!

Alex DePew
08-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Ooops. Sorry Alex, DePalma used a drill in Body Double. Has any psycho assaulted their victim with a bad paper cut? I've never seen that!!!

Damn! Paper cut it is. But not just any paper, newspaper. Cause then I get to use the line, "Killed by the paper she'll be on tomorrow." Tell me that is not a classic cheesy horror line! Or, "I guess she was good enough for page three." (British joke)

GenJerDan
08-03-2006, 01:29 AM
It's hard to tell if you're advocating hooters or not.

You guys should put whatever works in your shorts.

Hooters in your shorts? That's...that's just wrong.

Texture
08-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Damn! Paper cut it is. But not just any paper, newspaper. Cause then I get to use the line, "Killed by the paper she'll be on tomorrow." Tell me that is not a classic cheesy horror line! Or, "I guess she was good enough for page three." (British joke)

Brilliant!!!

KingVidiot
08-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Is there ever a horror flick in which the girl does not scream?
In which the girl does not have big boobs?
In which the boyfriend gets done in first?

It's not about the cliche, it's about how and if you can keep the audience
entertained, now here's the thing about horror flicks, truly in the end,
the audience isn't expecting you to reinvent the wheel, they just want to
be

Well, since horror movies are usually aimed at a young-ish audience and they are often date movies, they tend to deliver on the prurient side of things: T&A, sex, drug use, the usual fun stuff...

By the way the drill has been used a bunch: Driller Killer, Gates of Hell, Toolbox Murders, Day of the Dead, etc.

edit: oh yeah, good one GenjerDan - Bloodsucking Freaks... come here Ralphus, he he he.

VersuS
08-09-2006, 12:00 AM
How about using a blender?

Alex DePew
08-09-2006, 05:09 AM
How about using a blender?

Done in Gremlins.

VersuS
08-09-2006, 05:34 AM
LOL. Yeah !
Ok...vacuum cleaner?