PDA

View Full Version : type of horror

Michael_Petro
07-07-2006, 12:23 PM
does any kind count?

scary campy funny gross etc....

Ben Sliker
07-07-2006, 01:14 PM
i would look through the extensive "what is horror" thread. But there has been no official word/definition to what horror is.

So, i think if it's funny that's fine, think Shaun of the Dead, as long as you feel it fits "horror" first.

JwrFord
07-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I think there really needs to be some intervention defining what is horror. Before we sat down to write up treatments I looked at the "what is horror" thread and told myself "Don't get hung up on terminology." At this point I am looking at everyone of the brainstorming sessions and although good ideas dismissing alot of them as not horror enough. Something from the higher ups is needed in this case I believe. I would be thoroughly dissappointed to work on a project and have it dismissed by everyone as not in the right genre.

Ben Sliker
07-07-2006, 05:55 PM
well, i think we had 11+ pages of discussion about what it was and there was no "higher intervention", but the main point of that thread was to flesh out all the horror ideas, so that one would not have to defend their project afterwards.

JwrFord
07-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Understood. I DO hope that someones intellectual artistic and creative property wouldn't be attacked to point of needed defense on such a great board. If that was the case I fear that would really turn people off from participating which makes the festival all the more fun. Yes in the proffessional world our ideas are often ridiculed and disected SOMETIMES to the point of strict vocal defense. Those of us who have been to that point know how it feels. Hopefully its just a difference in vocabulary my friend.

I strongly feel that if there was an OFFICIAL stance it would ward off the potential defense that in the end, only takes away from the festival. Especially since till the last page so many people had so many different stances to the point of splitting hairs. I defianetly did read all of the oppinions and unofficial stances on the word "horror"

Ben Sliker
07-08-2006, 01:48 PM
i think it comes down to one of two things:

A. an official word of horror so that everyone is clear on it, but in the process, possibly stifling creativeness from entries.

or ...

B. people possibly having to defend their films in talkbacks to the tune of "your film wasn't horror"

DarkMatter
07-08-2006, 09:48 PM
People are getting so crazy over this subject... Asking a question like what is horror is like asking what scares you, what truly terrifies and horrifies you, and will possibly create that same feeling for others? And that my friend is a question to ask yourself. If you don't have something that terrifies or horrifies yourself, you probably shouldn't be making horror movies. Good luck.

spidey
07-09-2006, 05:51 AM
exactly.

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-09-2006, 07:29 AM
What thy said
(Make it scary)
ARGHHHHHHHHH http://www.smileys.ws/smls/speechless/00000005.gif
(could be anything - slasher, occult, supsense or something else altogether)

OR

draw from the genre and imagery towards some other end than scary.
i.e.
Young Frankenstein
The Crow

etc.

make your film

Dig?

Blaine
07-09-2006, 08:29 AM
What thy said
(Make it scary)
ARGHHHHHHHHH http://www.smileys.ws/smls/speechless/00000005.gif
(could be anything - slasher, occult, supsense or something else altogether)

OR

draw from the genre and imagery towards some other end than scary.
i.e.
Young Frankenstein
The Crow

etc.

make your film

Dig?
Isn't that really it? What is horror to you? That's horror. Laying down an "official definition from on high" will do more to stifle creativity than promote it.

Filmjunkie677
07-09-2006, 08:39 AM
We hear this every contest.

What is sci-fi?

What is the definition of a hero? What is horror?

On and on and on.... Genre has been around since the inception of film.

What the guys above me have said...
You're a filmmaker. Just go out and make your film... No excuses.

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-09-2006, 08:53 AM
the only time the official def was semi necessary IMHO was Hero Fest ...

we just needed to know if hero's could be regular people or if it was indeed Super Hero fest and they needed super powers just like Zombie fest needed to "feature the undead".