PDA

View Full Version : Complete list of Hero-fest ranking

Matt Sconce
06-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Hello, I am just wondering if anyone knows what the complete rankings were for all the entries in Hero-Fest. I would really like to know. :)

Matt Sconce
06-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Any word yet? Are they even going to be posted?

Brandon Rice
06-16-2006, 09:50 AM
I'd like to see the list too... I am sure Jarred's been busy.

Edgen
06-16-2006, 11:42 AM
:) waiting for the complete list of the list is like the second round to this competition..

Anxious.. *anxious*anxious*

/j

Matt Sconce
06-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Any word on when they will be out? I am freaking out here!:badputer:

:)

Brandon Rice
06-16-2006, 04:55 PM
um... where's the list?

Shaun Patrick
06-16-2006, 10:06 PM
bump

Brandon Rice
06-17-2006, 01:21 AM
haha... bumping the thread for a list....

Matt Sconce
06-17-2006, 11:42 AM
haha... bumping the thread for a list....

Ahhh the insanity!!!! "Pulls out hair" :furious3: I really want to know the rest of the placing of the contest and who won for best editor, and score. Perty Please.....with Hvx's on top?:)

WilderWorks
06-17-2006, 09:05 PM
This seems to be a demonstration of how completely this request can be ignored. A simple yes or no would be nice. :(

Cryogenic Filmworks
06-17-2006, 11:21 PM
I'll add my plea to the list. We may be last but my people want to know.

Jarred Land
06-18-2006, 12:09 AM
il put in my plea for the list too.

Ben Sliker
06-18-2006, 12:13 AM
oh that jarred ... he's one funny guy. (that is unless you are serious ... then, i suck)

Jarred Land
06-18-2006, 12:17 AM
Im in production till Wed. then I am working Cinegear. I have zero time till at least the end of next week so dont expect anything till then.

Man I wish i could write to Sundance and demand that they tell me what place my film placed.....

Larry Rutledge
06-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Man I wish i could write to Sundance and demand that they tell me what place my film placed..... That's why this contest is so much better than Sundance :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG) ...we can find out our placing (I hope).

Im in production till Wed. then I am working Cinegear. I have zero time till at least the end of next week so dont expect anything till then.

If you want to, send me the files and I'll compile it and post for you.

Cryogenic Filmworks
06-18-2006, 12:45 AM

Man I wish i could write to Sundance and demand that they tell me what place my film placed.....

Sorry Jarred, did not realize you were in a production at this time. We really do appreciate what you and the mods do here. I can chill as long as we know for sure there will be a complete list. Good luck on your shoot and Cinegear.

Jarred Land
06-18-2006, 12:52 AM
im not going to say for sure because its not guranteed.. but you guys have definately been a good enough pain in the ass for me to add it to the todo list, so it most likely will.

thanks everyone.

Matt Sconce
06-18-2006, 10:29 AM
im not going to say for sure because its not guranteed.. but you guys have definately been a good enough pain in the ass for me to add it to the todo list, so it most likely will.

thanks everyone.

Thanks!:) We may be learning as film makers but we are experienced at being pains...:nads:

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Hey Jarred, sorry some people got snarfy, I think folks were assuming you just merged the spreadsheets to get the top winners (the excel formula you mentioned) and could just post it with zero workflow ...

But this is evidence of what happens when people assume ... :)
... they make an ass out of Larry R :cheesy: :grin: :)

Larry Rutledge
06-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Sure, win a contest and all of sudden you get all cocky!! :grin:

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-19-2006, 08:51 AM
:grin:

WilderWorks
06-23-2006, 12:30 PM
:2vrolijk_08:

Edgen
06-25-2006, 06:00 PM
so... I think we've waited, Any word on pumping out the list from your super-dooper XLS spreadsheet formula? :)

anxious to see the final tallies.

/j

WilderWorks
06-27-2006, 12:50 PM
:Drogar-Sick(DBG):

Herman Witkam
07-02-2006, 11:31 AM
It's been more than two weeks now. Any news yet?

Jarred Land
07-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Jack Stanley has all the results bug him :)

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-02-2006, 11:44 AM
I only have the top scorer in each category.
Here ya go ...
Best Score: Bone Hand
Best Acting: Bone Hand
Best VFX: Bone Hand
Best Lighting: Bone Hand
don't have all the individual films yet that will take me some time to calculate

Oh ... no one has a problem with me tallying the ballots do they?

I guess its no big deal since I did it for the top five already so Jarred could announce them....

BTW, He keeps me chained to an old IBM computer from 1993 in a basement in Honduras. I sleep on straw thrown on the stone floor. He pays my family $3.75 a week for my labors and occasionally gives me bread and a bottle of Molsen. As soon as I have enough strength to move my fingers again, I will finish calculating the spread sheet.

Jarred Land
07-02-2006, 11:54 AM
thats it.. im taking the straw away... and your only getting $2.50 a week now. Get back to work you worthless shoe.

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-02-2006, 12:11 PM
well at least i still have the rest of my payments: i.e. all the great swag I accumulated through DVXuser fests.

I guess I can use that Kata bag for a pillow :(

Larry Rutledge
07-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Why am I not surprised that the delay is because of Jack :evil: Need any help Jack? I am a computer programmer, I might be able to get those numbers crunched in this lifetime :grin:

Matt Sconce
07-05-2006, 09:25 PM
hmmm....*waits excitedly*:cheesy:

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-05-2006, 09:27 PM
I think Barry G and Jarred accidently ate the other rankings with some white castle burgers.

Anthem78
07-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Is this ever going to happen? Or is herofest quickly being forgotten?

JimtheJib
07-07-2006, 07:05 AM
what hero fest?

lol

Anthem78
07-07-2006, 07:06 AM
lol. that's what I'm starting to think. Was it all a dream? Did it really happen?

Alex DePew
07-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Wow, a Herofest would be awesome. We should totally do one of those!

Shaun Patrick
07-07-2006, 10:51 AM
those rankings would sure be awesome...

Brandon Rice
07-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Yeah, where are those rankings?

Edgen
07-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Mom?

Larry Rutledge
07-07-2006, 11:59 AM
I think Barry G and Jarred accidently ate the other rankings with some white castle burgers.

Stop trying to divert the blame elsewhere...we all saw the earlier posts from Jarred. It's all on your head....just cause you won you don't care about the rest of us. And, just cause you're in a movie with Denzel you think you can snub us.

You're not better than us, Mr. Jack Daniel Stanley, you are just like the rest of us ...except you've won every major fest on the site, but aside from that you are no different.

By the way, I've noticed that many of the famous criminals in history go by all three names (e.g. John Wilkes Booth, ... there are others, I just can't think of them at the moment).

So, where are those rankings mister?!?! :furious3:

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-07-2006, 12:19 PM
http://www.smileys.ws/smls/erotic/00000014.gif

Shaun Patrick
07-07-2006, 12:21 PM
http://www.smileys.ws/smls/erotic/00000014.gif

if you look really closely at the emoticon, you can see the rankings...

Larry Rutledge
07-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Well, that's a very grown up response Mr. Stanley! http://www.nrestudios.com/images/smilies/emote_irate.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-077.gif

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-08-2006, 12:40 AM
if you look really closely at the emoticon, you can see the rankings...

you can see where you have to reach into to get them apparantly.

Shaun Patrick
07-08-2006, 08:08 AM
you can see where you have to reach into to get them apparantly.
At this point, that seems to be the only way the rankings will ever see the light of day...

Oh well, it's a shame because people worked really hard on their films and I think most of us were just looking for a little closure.

Larry Rutledge
07-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Don't worry, it'll come...everyone is just really busy.

Matt Sconce
07-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Need Closure! Arrgg! *runs in circles and finally passes out holding his DVX*

Mike McNeese
07-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Why doesn't someone just collect all of the Excel files and calculate it all? If I had a clue how to use Excel I'd volunteer.

Jarred Land
07-10-2006, 01:38 PM
here is the placings in order after 5th place.

6.JUL stewbottum
7.Sonic Man David Jerome
8.Hero of Mana Noct- Aaron Marshall
9.TGT264 Conrad Johnson
10.Once A hero Envision / Norm Sanders
11.Anonymous Anthem78
12.The Stars Above Edgen
13.Tough Luck JimtheJib
14.Nine to Five Ninja Msconce
15.Our Hero the…. Ian Taylor
16.Killedpowerman untsikka
17.Supermates Alex Depew
18.Leap of Faith Larry R
19.Atrocity RDragonFilms
20.Comicbook Romance
21.Metalstorm Mjmcneese
22.One Mans Epic James Rolfe
23.The Recipient Macchu
24.SuperZeros Playmaker
25.Fedora44 Mikezaz
26.TSI Cryogenic

Alex DePew
07-10-2006, 01:46 PM

6.JUL stewbottum
7.Sonic Man David Jerome
9.TGT264 Conrad Johnson
11.Anonymous Anthem78
12.The Stars Above Edgen
13.Tough Luck JimtheJib
17.Supermates Alex Depew
18.Leap of Faith Larry R
19.Atrocity RDragonFilms
20.Comicbook Romance
21.Metalstorm Mjmcneese
23.The Recipient Macchu
24.SuperZeros Playmaker
25.Fedora44 Mikezaz
26.TSI Cryogenic

How is Conrad Johnson # 9? I though he was #3.

Larry Rutledge
07-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Thank you Jarred....and thanks for putting up with all our whining :dankk2:

WilderWorks
07-10-2006, 02:59 PM
:eek: :D

Edgen
07-10-2006, 03:02 PM
... don't stop now! Keep them coming! :)

I'd love to see the final score ranking *does a lil dance*

/j

Matt Sconce
07-10-2006, 03:04 PM
How is Conrad Johnson # 9? I though he was #3.

hmmm, I was wondering that as well. Some of the results make no sense to me. Metal storm was very well done, how is it in 21st place? If this is how the results tallied, I am confused. Did Jack Daniel Stanley send these results after calculating them? Just wanting to make sure, as they seem very strange.
One Man's epic, somehow coming above the recipient and three other films....

I am happy to see the results, just confused onto how it ended up this way.

Norm Sanders
07-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Um, yeah ... ONE MAN'S EPIC caught me off guard as well ... since I don't believe it really met what was the universal acceptance of SUPER HERO, I expected it to fall in last place.

I'd still like to see the full rankings, or compiled scores, as it was in Sci-Fest ... if for no other reason than because there weren't prizes listed, it wasn't as well promoted, etc. and yet still there were 25 film makers that took the time to turn in the goods, allowing the content to be used on a future DVX DVD, etc.

So I feel the least that can be done is to have the same final ranking sheet as was issued for Sci-Fest ... then everyone can take the time themselves to see where their compiled score for a certain category landed in comparison to their peers.

Jarred Land
07-10-2006, 06:24 PM
lol you guys are nuts.

These are raw scores, and if someone didnt include scores for catagories like SFX then it defaults to a 5.. its the autocalc, im not going to go through them one by one to add them up for these "just for fun scores".. i shoulda follwed every other festival out there and not disclosed places after the top 3.... just thought you wanted them bad enough so i thought i would be nice and give you what i had...

I promise for Horrorfest we will have better score cards that have better formulas in them to do this instantly. But officially.. and i mean it... there will be no more scores for herofest released.. not after this.

Kholi
07-10-2006, 06:41 PM
lol you guys are nuts.

These are raw scores, and if someone didnt include scores for catagories like SFX then it defaults to a 5.. its the autocalc, im not going to go through them one by one to add them up for these "just for fun scores".. i shoulda follwed every other festival out there and not disclosed places after the top 3.... just thought you wanted them bad enough so i thought i would be nice and give you what i had...

I promise for Horrorfest we will have better score cards that have better formulas in them to do this instantly. But officially.. and i mean it... there will be no more scores for herofest released.. not after this.

Shame on you guys. They give you an inch and you want to take a mile.

He doesn't even charge for these contests and he gives away prizes and hosting space and the whole lot.

Those are what the scores are, just let em sit as they will. The only ones that he should've released, as he stated, were the winners and that's all.

Matt Sconce
07-10-2006, 07:10 PM

So let me understand you. In a contest to help film maker's grow, you believe it is rude to wonder how we did? And after seeing oddities in the official placements, to question why such placements occured? If this contest is simply another festival that Jarred runs when he has the time, then I agree with you. But if this is a contest that is supposed to help us become better filmmakers, and foster an open environment for discussion on how to better ourselves I disagree.

Why is it rude to want to see how we did in each category? Many of us have offered to do the work, or help in any way, so Jarred would not have to worry about it. If this contest is different than the rest of normal festivals, why is that wrong to ask, and why should we feel "Shame" for simply wanting to see how the public scored our film? If we know what aspects we lacked in, we can improve in the future. Isn't that what this site is all about?

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-10-2006, 07:59 PM
.... Did Jack Daniel Stanley send these results after calculating them? Just wanting to make sure, as they seem very strange....
Just to be clear ... I never had anything to do with tabulating these scores ... that was all a joke.

Also, I think Jared is saying that he posted the list without corrections (entering a 5) for categories that were left blank ... so that may be why they are "weird".

Alex DePew
07-10-2006, 09:28 PM
No where to go but up! Watch out beeotches! I was interested in the placing for a while but totally stopped caring after a while. I'm just looking to the future. But trust me I understand the people who want to know what others thought worked and didn't.

Cryogenic Filmworks
07-10-2006, 09:49 PM
No where to go but up! Watch out beeotches! I was interested in the placing for a while but totally stopped caring after a while. I'm just looking to the future. But trust me I understand the people who want to know what others thought worked and didn't.

Well actually..... being at the bottom of the pile makes me the prime candidate for only going up. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG) Next time only 1 frame of credits, blink and you'll miss it. What can you say.. It was all in fun anyways right? Hopefully my future projects will work out better and get better reception. In any event as Jarred's post suggests, time to let it die and move on. :dankk2:

Jarred Land
07-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Why is it rude to want to see how we did in each category? Many of us have offered to do the work, or help in any way, so Jarred would not have to worry about it. If this contest is different than the rest of normal festivals, why is that wrong to ask, and why should we feel "Shame" for simply wanting to see how the public scored our film? If we know what aspects we lacked in, we can improve in the future. Isn't that what this site is all about?

First of all, i contemplated just pressing the glowing little ban button beside your name msconce so you would shut up so i could go back to sleep..

then I kinda realized you have a point. that is exactly why i do these damn contests, to get you guys to pick up the camera and shoot something, and hopefully get better everytime. I allow each film to have its own little forum so you can get feedback on how to make your film better but the scores of your films broken down by scale will be the best indication.

so I apologize.. and promise to give you this next time. herofest was a odd little contest, it fell in the middle of everyone's most busiest times and hence we had more than 50% of people fall out. So Ill try and make horrorfest twice as good to make up for all your dissapointment.... deal?

Matt Sconce
07-10-2006, 10:03 PM
First of all, i contemplated just pressing the glowing little ban button beside your name msconce so you would shut up so i could go back to sleep..

then I kinda realized you have a point. that is exactly why i do these damn contests, to get you guys to pick up the camera and shoot something, and hopefully get better everytime. I allow each film to have its own little forum so you can get feedback on how to make your film better but the scores of your films broken down by scale will be the best indication.

so I apologize.. and promise to give you this next time. herofest was a odd little contest, it fell in the middle of everyone's most busiest times and hence we had more than 50% of people fall out. So Ill try and make horrorfest twice as good to make up for all your dissapointment.... deal?

This means a lot Jarred. Thanks for understanding where I am coming from.....and for not banning me!!!!!!!!!!! :) I do not think I will enter horror fest, but maybe another contest in the future. Good luck to all the horror-fest entries. I will definitely be watching them!

Jarred Land
07-10-2006, 10:06 PM
I do not think I will enter horror fest, but maybe another contest in the future.

well then forget what i just said..
:banned:

ha ha hah.

Matt Sconce
07-10-2006, 10:08 PM
well then forget what i just said..
:banned:

ha ha hah.

:crybaby: hehe

Norm Sanders
07-10-2006, 10:14 PM

He doesn't even charge for these contests and he gives away prizes and hosting space and the whole lot.

Those are what the scores are, just let em sit as they will. The only ones that he should've released, as he stated, were the winners and that's all.

Wow, Kholi, no disrespect, but I'd care a lot more about this statement of yours if you had actually entered yourself.

My only concern/point was that I was hoping we'd get at least the same results as we did for Sci-Fest, where we were provided with a final tally sheet that showed what the cumulative was for each film in each category. They weren't ranked, but the film maker could then go through and see how they faired agains their peers.

A lot of kudos had been given to the film makers that did push through and get their films in, even though no prizes had been announced, etc. ... it showed their love for the craft & seeing something through to the end. So just call me surprised when we didn't even get the same spread sheet as the previous contest.

End of story on my end. I'll try not to say another word on the subject.

Thanks.

Jarred Land
07-10-2006, 10:19 PM
ok thats it.. Envision, your banned too. ha ha.. this is fun..

Envision the herofest wasnt about placing and wasnt about prizes.. so i didnt make the prioirty in adding all those up from the start, which turns out was a mistake. I do appreciate all you guys that entered the film.. but remember, it costs me alot of cash to hold these things and there is no entry fee... We all are doing this for Love so cut me some slack :)

Kholi
07-10-2006, 10:21 PM

I was going to respond to Matt's post...

But you entered the contest-- and you have a great attitude about these "rankings".

So, instead -- I quote you, DePew. Matt? There's your response.

Matt Sconce
07-10-2006, 10:30 PM
I was going to respond to Matt's post...

But you entered the contest-- and you have a great attitude about these "rankings".

So, instead -- I quote you, DePew. Matt? There's your response.

:thumbsup:

Kholi
07-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Wow, Kholi, no disrespect, but I'd care a lot more about this statement of yours if you had actually entered yourself.

Meh. You didn't disrespect me. My work fell through at the last minute, reasons I couldn't control. So I saved my three grand for another project.

However, doesn't matter if I entered or not. Why push for more when you already get so much?

Contest wasn't promoted as much, he said Horror-fest would be AND that you'd get your spreads this go around. So, if you want to see yourself land in tenth place again, you will.

Easy.

Kholi
07-10-2006, 10:38 PM
This means a lot Jarred. Thanks for understanding where I am coming from.....and for not banning me!!!!!!!!!!! :) I do not think I will enter horror fest, but maybe another contest in the future. Good luck to all the horror-fest entries. I will definitely be watching them!

As for not entering: why? Itching to know.

Matt Sconce
07-10-2006, 10:45 PM
As for not entering: why? Itching to know.

Stricken is getting bigger than I expected and I want to promote it like crazy. I want to have a web page designed so when the short is completed, It will already have a bed of marketing under it. I think this will change things for me, and I want to make sure I make the most out of it as possible, hence the marketing. I will have a behind the scenes camera man documenting everything, so hopefully, this will end up being helpful to other film makers as well. I will post the link to the site when it is complete. I get freaked out just reading the script, and at rehearsal the other day, I had to reassure our little girl actor that she could stand by the "Father" figure, and that he was not going to get her. It is a well written, cast and hopefully shot film that has potential. I am excited to see where it goes. I would like to use it to get investors for expancing it into a feature. It is highly possible in the Fresno area to pull that off, because people here are still excited to be a part of something. I don't want to hijack a thread so if you wonder anything else about it, just PM me.

Larry Rutledge
07-11-2006, 08:54 AM
ok thats it.. Envision, your banned too. ha ha.. this is fun..

I was just getting caught up on this thread....now I'm glad my response was a "Thank you" and not a "We want more! We want more!" :evil: :grin:

Brandon Rice
07-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Hey, thanks for releasing the placing Jarred! I must say I was a bit surprised by some of the rankings as well, but I guess I was also surprised by sci-fest as well, its neat to see how different people view things! Here's to horrorfest!

arielman
07-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Hey Thanks Jarred for the listings.

15th place .....I had to rub my eyes , just could not believe we finished there , with an unfinished film at that.

There were sooooo many excellent films that should of been above ours .
I feel the hero fest had some of the best films yet!!!
Congrats to everyone !!!!!!!!

Ian

Aaron Marshall
07-12-2006, 03:48 PM

6.JUL stewbottum
7.Sonic Man David Jerome
9.TGT264 Conrad Johnson
11.Anonymous Anthem78
12.The Stars Above Edgen
13.Tough Luck JimtheJib
17.Supermates Alex Depew
18.Leap of Faith Larry R
19.Atrocity RDragonFilms
20.Comicbook Romance
21.Metalstorm Mjmcneese
23.The Recipient Macchu
24.SuperZeros Playmaker
25.Fedora44 Mikezaz
26.TSI Cryogenic

Whoa I placed 8th?! I feel like I won. To be in the top ten with all these great filmmakers... that's just wonderful.

Thanks to everyone who watched and voted. Also I'd like to thank Jarred for going to the trouble of crunching the final numbers down and organizing these fests.

Brandon Rice
07-12-2006, 05:58 PM
I guess 21st place is for the films I like, haha! I LOVED Metal Storm... and my sci-fest film I also loved, and both ended up placing 21st... how ironic...

arielman
07-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Brandon...I too loved Metal Storm...really not sure why it finished where it did ..I thought top 10 maybe .

I am curious on how close these films were ..

Ian

Anthem78
07-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Metal Storm was one of my favorites too. I was hoping it would place top ten.

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-14-2006, 04:47 PM
hey guys ... I can live with the whole no category scores this go around, due to Jarred doing the one man band thing + I'm stupid grateful for the contest, period.

Also I bet he didn't know how much the categories meant to us since Barry_S handled that on the two prior contests (I think).

Anyhoo, only thing that I wish we could change in how this all shook out is the fact that the composers can't get any recognition out of this ... I keep pinching myself about these guys being so gung ho to work with us. I think it's crazy that we have access to guys like this IMO and I want them to come on back again and again. The best thing that could happen is for word to get out more and more and have them fighting over composer spots here.

So I have two suggestions both of which Jarred has OKed.

Which one do you like better?

Suggestion One:
Me or Briceman or somebody puts a list of the shorts together for everybody that has original music (shouldn't be hard to make sure its comprehensive I can just PM them all - there's only 25) and then Briceman or me or one somebody start and old fashion pole thread for best score listing each film.

Suggestion Two:
As a one time only scenario, we just declare a five or six or however many way tie between all of the composers as a thanks for working on our films for free. All of the scores were pretty damn good and I'm sure it would have been close anyway.

What do you guys think?

Matt Sconce
07-14-2006, 08:30 PM
I like two. They all rocked!

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-14-2006, 10:00 PM
One Vote for just declaring a 1st place tie for all the composers.
The alternative being start a poll to vote for it.
Anyone else?
Bueller ... Beuller?
Anyone?

moviemaestro
07-14-2006, 10:29 PM
I think that we should have a poll. :)

Norm Sanders
07-14-2006, 10:41 PM
probably a poll ... but I wonder if it would be good to SHOW who votes for what, so that it can also be watched if there's a bunch of new accounts voting. I doubt this would happen, but never know.

Edgen
07-15-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm game for the score idea. to be honest, I couldn't imagine someone not putting marks down for the music score section. But.. of course that's just me and hell... I didn't even get my vote in. so... ya. :)

/j

Aaron Marshall
07-15-2006, 01:32 PM
I vote for #2.

BTW my score artist didn't work for free. He charged me $250 per minute of completed music. He was a real bastard. :grin:

Edgen
07-15-2006, 01:54 PM
He charged me $250 per minute of completed music. He was a real bastard. :grin:

That ass chode.

I had to pay for my stock too. Music guys are pricks aren't they? :costumed-smiley-047

/j

Mike McNeese
07-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Music guys are pricks aren't they? :costumed-smiley-047

/j

Got that right. My musicians drove from three states away to live in an extra room of my house for 4 days, only coming out twice in those 4 days to grab a bowl of Cap'n Crunch Berries. All for no charge to me. Jerks.

Edgen
07-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Got that right. My musicians drove from three states away to live in an extra room of my house for 4 days, only coming out twice in those 4 days to grab a bowl of Cap'n Crunch Berries. All for no charge to me. Jerks.
heheheheh :) I at least I gave mine some toast and Peach Punch juice. He did have a really peculiar desire and over whelming urge to eat some fish.
:nads:

I also thought in the original rules, that there was supposed to be a recognition for best score. Hell, that's another reason why I wanted to join this madness. That and how often do you get a chance to write music for a super hero movie? (minus the big budget action/fx)

or... was the hype of other other people in the thread?

/j

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-16-2006, 10:18 AM
you know that spreadsheet you didn't send in to vote? :)

We expected to get back a master version of that with everyone's information compiled as per the last contest.

So it would have had the top scorer in each category, "score" "acting" "lighting" "etc."

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-16-2006, 10:20 AM
like this:
http://frenchquarterfeatures.com/SciFest_Results.pdf

Edgen
07-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Holy Smokes I'd love to see this for the HeroFest. Soo... the only thing that funct it up is that some people did not put a vote down for some of the categories? and if not, that was automatically a default score of "5" (of 10)?

/j

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-16-2006, 10:59 AM
no no no ... :)
It's supposed to default to 5 if a column is blank because some columns should be left blank like VFX and Score if the film had no such animals. (or it should not be averaged in). The idea is not to hurt of film like Snodarts because it doesn't have (and doesn't need) VFX by giving the filmmaker a zero for a blank column.

let's be careful to not open a can of worms that has been settled, but we didn't get that this go around because Jarred did this whole contest by himself (which is different from before) and he didn't tally everything because he's so frickin' busy and didn't know how important the full spreadsheet was to us.

So its not a matter of people filling out the forms wrong.

It was a matter of resources which will be amended for the next countest.

I only showed you the spreadsheet from last contest so you could see what people expected and why "best score" would normally be a known and done thing.

But we've moved on (or need to) from all of that and just need to adress the question, what could we do ourselves to recognize the best score category?

Edgen
07-17-2006, 03:28 AM
aye.. I gotcha. Ya know, i'm sure there's probably 10-15 cats here that are trust worthy enough to tally up these scores and the ones that are 'NA' would just be left in the dust and not included. for instance, like you said with Snodart's film not having VFX, that would just mean that his film would not be listed within a category of VFX. RFEyeD however; would be a major player.

If Jarred is indeed a busy bee, then I would suggest handing it off to a worker drone to sort it out. Of course he/she would see all the scores but would respect the contest enough not to let any of the information out of the bag. I just hate to see this particular contest just die out and I'd like to have that final say so on whether or not to just move on to the horror fest. :)

So crack thar whips or move ya arse to the next saloon.

Being a composer... Yes. I'd love to see everyone's vote on the score. Not only to improve on my own craft, but to see how my work faired with some of the other great composer talents here.

/j

Larry Rutledge
07-17-2006, 07:12 AM
I definitely think every composer did a fantastic job and worked their tail's off for this contest, but so did the filmmakers and they had to be voted on. I think the fairest choice is to do a vote, even if it is an informal "post your vote in this thread" kind of a vote. Then someone can be appointed to tally the counts.

I think we should count up 1st, 2nd, and 3rd positions.

All the composers worked very hard and I appreciate every one of them for jumping on board to help out with these contests.

Also, I believe I tried to bring this up before the contest was voted on and was shot down by Mr. Stanley :)

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-17-2006, 09:14 AM
And your mild retardation hasn't improved any since then.

I said that there already was a category and you were asking for something that already existed. That was based on the previous contest and based on the results not getting f-ed up. If the results weren't f-ed up you'd have your best score. How was I supposed to know that the information we were all entering on our ballots would not be available. Did you see this 4 posts earlier?
http://frenchquarterfeatures.com/SciFest_Results.pdf

Larry Rutledge
07-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Well, mental capacity aside, I was already aware of the SciFest Results sheet as I saw it when it came out originally. What I had been asking for was a more specific mechanism to recognize the hard work and talent of these composers.

In both the Sci Fest and the Hero Fest I brought this matter up and my hope was that the composer would get recognized as a prize winning category...since other categories from the sheet received some compensation.

So, perhaps, we just kept misunderstanding each other. I was championing for something more than just a tally on a score sheet. I was looking for a stronger recognition for the highest scored composer/soundtrack.

And, yes, I did see that link 4 posts earlier. I even downloaded it again because I didn't keep my original copy.

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-17-2006, 10:38 AM
then you need to go out and get a prize sponsor for that category because that's the only difference

Jarred Land
07-17-2006, 10:42 AM
ok kids play nice.

I will add composer to horrorfest.. and i dont want to hear it anymore. If you want to make something for herofest you can start a thread with a poll and goto town.. but come on guys... this is supposed to be "fun"..

Brandon Rice
07-17-2006, 10:50 AM
No sense getting "wrapped around the axle" about things.

Larry Rutledge
07-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Any interaction between Jack and I can be ignored...that is how we "play nice" :) Honestly, it is all in fun and was only continued in the interest of discussion on the subject of judging.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we are EXTREMELY appreciative of the work done for these festivals. None of this is to be construed as complaints or grumblings of any kind, but rather as honest, open discussion about the fests.

Sorry to cause you any consternation, Mr. Land, it was not intended to put a damper on the festival. I know, for myself, this was a fantastic opportunity to go out and make something, and having the defined genre and deadline was a great catalyst to push to completion.

Thanks.

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Yeah I'm sorry too Jarred

... sorry Larry's an A-hole that is! :laugh:

muahahahaha!

http://emoticons4u.com/cool/653.gif

woot

woot

holla

Larry Rutledge
07-17-2006, 12:01 PM
I want to make sure something is completely clear. The following statement, " Also, I believe I tried to bring this up before the contest was voted on and was shot down by Mr. Stanley :)" which I made a few posts back came off differently than I intended. There has been some confusion and misunderstanding on my part about the composer/score category and I have clearly not understood what Jack was trying to say in response as I blindly ambled down the road of calling for a composer category.

I missed the fact that this category is already alive and well in these contests and is a source for composers to flaunt their laurels for winning. Since the Hero Fest fell in a particularly busy time for everyone it wasn't as prominent and I mistook that as being avoided completely. For that I apologize.

I think Jack's idea regarding an impromptu, unofficial, peer run vote for the Hero Fest composers is a great idea and I would be willing to kick in a $50 Guitar Center gift certificate as a prize to help get it up and running.

I apologize if I offended Jack, or anyone else, by earlier comments.

Peace,
Larry

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-17-2006, 01:12 PM
lol, it's all good.

As for the gift certificate, when I mentioned that in a PM to you I was thinking for next contest, didn't know you were planning on doing something right now, lol, but sure why not.

And I'll chip in $10 for the gift cert. Wish I could offer to pay half, but we're just not in that position these days.

I mentioned to Larry in a PM that a prize would be tough since the software tools composers use to make music is virtually infinite (with a few major and very expensive multitracking staples) vs. a few competitive NLE's Film Look options that filmmakers use, and as for hardware/instruments ... again there are near infinite choices and composers are picky about the tools they use. So gift cert. seems like a good idea.

I won a $50 gift cert to B&H for Zombie Fest and it definately came in handy -- bought my tapes for Hero Fest. I'm sure composers could pick up something small like that or use it towards a bigger item.

Larry Rutledge
07-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Well, since we are kind of doing the composer vote on our own, I thought it would be nice to give them something more than just laurel leaves...although I fully understand the benefit of hanging the "Best Score" shingle on your storefront. Also, I understand that with the cost of most software/equipment that $50 isn't much...it's just a token of thanks and can certainly be used towards a larger purchase or small consumables as you mentioned.

I appreciate your kicking in the $10 and rather than put it towards the $50, I'll add it making the prize a $60 (USD) gift card...if anyone else would like to contribute, just let me know and I'll keep adding to the card until the winner is announced and the prize purchased.

snodart
07-17-2006, 03:46 PM
I'll add another $10.

Paypal or what?

Larry Rutledge
07-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Paypal should work, but I'll have to get it set up...I'll work on it while Jack gets the voting set up. I'll PM you with the details later. Thanks for the contribution :dankk2:

snodart
07-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Bueno

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-17-2006, 05:38 PM
I have paypal. Set up and varified. We can just leave it on my Paypal acct. as a credit (not deposit it in my bank) and then just paypal it to the winner.

Larry's putting together some info for me and then I'll put a thread up. Let's not do any paypalling until then and its all official though. Then I'll send you my paypal email.

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Once we deal with this we should start a thread in Horror Fest so anyone that wants to contribute for the composers for horror fest can, and that pot can get bigger and bigger since we'l start it early (and see if guitar center will donate something)

Aaron Marshall
07-17-2006, 11:11 PM
I think this new voting idea is flawed. The same amount of people won't chime in and vote like they did in the Hero Fest. It's mainly going to be the filmmakers, composers, and people very closely related to these productions voting. The word is not out like the fest.

I say if you're going to do anything at all actually tally up the score column in the official hero fest ballots. A revote sounds like a bad idea. :thumbdown :farting noise:

Let us just make a thread discussing certain scores we thought were great. For example, "The opening music in Nine to Five Ninja was amazing."

Leave all the number crunching to a much better organized Horror Fest.

Onward and upwards...

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Only 50 or so people voted in Sci-fest. That's even less votes than there were films.

Even if it's a small sample, at least its a sample.

I'd rather do that than just have a drawing, say.

It doesn't matter who votes. As long as people vote. I was gonna leave the thing up for a minumum of two weeks or as long as necessary to get at least 50 votes.

Aaron Marshall
07-17-2006, 11:23 PM
It might be cool if we could get a mass email to all members saying "Vote for best composers of Hero Fest" but then all the films aren't fresh in anyone's mind anymore.

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-17-2006, 11:51 PM
All of the films will be available to view for the first time or to rewatch in their original contest cut.

david jerome
07-18-2006, 09:14 AM
I'll throw in $10 for Hero Fest composer. Just post a paypal account.

Larry Rutledge
07-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the comments and donations....Jack and I are working out the details and will let you all know soon how to send your money and how to vote.

I realize this is not as "big time" as the actual DVX Fests, but it was not intended to be. Rather we are just rallying together as a way to honor some people who we think worked hard and deserve a little recognition. This is not directly tied to DVXUser or the Fests.

It is just our way of saying, "THANKS!" :dankk2:

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-22-2006, 02:04 AM
Ok ladies and germs ... drum roll
Hero Fest:COMPOSER FEST is underway
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=65135
the thread may get stickied, in which case I don't know if that link will still work, but you you'll be able to find it until I get back here to change the link if that's the case.

Thanks everybody, and thanks for hosting and for the links Larry :)

Edgen
07-22-2006, 02:43 AM
Feels like an election day!! :)

"Vote for me, and all your wildest dreams will come true." -Pedro

:)

/j

Jack Daniel Stanley
07-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Yes ... and now go get the word out :thumbsup:

Psynema
08-24-2006, 11:22 PM
This seems to be a demonstration of how completely this request can be ignored. A simple yes or no would be nice. :(

Silence = No

Jack Daniel Stanley
08-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the comments and donations....Jack and I are working out the details and will let you all know soon how to send your money and how to vote.

I realize this is not as "big time" as the actual DVX Fests, but it was not intended to be. Rather we are just rallying together as a way to honor some people who we think worked hard and deserve a little recognition. This is not directly tied to DVXUser or the Fests.

It is just our way of saying, "THANKS!" :dankk2:

Lare Bear ... did you get my Paypal request for your share?

snodart
08-25-2006, 02:34 AM
Hey, yea. I owe somebody something.

Larry Rutledge
08-25-2006, 07:09 AM
Yes, sorry...I did get it. I will get that sent in right away. Thanks for the reminder.

Jack Daniel Stanley
08-25-2006, 12:09 PM
:) :thumbsup: :love4: