PDA

View Full Version : Rules etc.

Jarred Land
06-14-2006, 10:21 PM
6 minutes MAX. Due date Oct. 1st

Horror film theme, must be made between June 1st and October 1st, 2006.

As most good horrors are, the rating limit is "R"

Daniel Skubal
06-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Good stuff.

mikkowilson
06-14-2006, 10:39 PM
so wait, R or lower, right?

- Mikko ... might finally have a chance to do this one...

Edgen
06-14-2006, 11:14 PM
I assume we'll have more 'rules' later? or is this just the broad idea for this fest?

and... With the horror genre, I guess It's safe to say it will also have a rating of "B" along with the "R"? :)

/j

J.R. Hudson
06-14-2006, 11:43 PM
so wait, R or lower, right?

- Mikko ... might finally have a chance to do this one...

Mikko Mikko Mikko

Is there really such thing as a PG-13 Horror ?

Daniel Skubal
06-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Mikko Mikko Mikko

LOL It's called Legally Blonde 2.

Brandon Rice
06-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Mikko Mikko Mikko

Yeah... what about M. Night's movies?

mikkowilson
06-14-2006, 11:58 PM
yes John, there is...

http://www.vh1.com/shared/media/images/movies/people/j/jackson_michael/150x223.jpg

- Mikko ... apologizes for all the wrong levels of that joke.

Jarred Land
06-15-2006, 01:10 AM

wholly crap that made me laugh right off my chair. thanks.

DarkMatter
06-15-2006, 04:17 AM
Does it star Jayne Fonda?:)

oneinfiniteloop
06-15-2006, 06:32 AM
I'm assuming pychological, occult type horrors work too, right?

HorseFilms
06-15-2006, 08:26 AM
I'm assuming pychological, occult type horrors work too, right?

Absolutely! I can't wait to see all the different styles people come up with.

Beat Takeshi
06-15-2006, 08:38 AM
this genre will probably get 100+ entries I bet.

Ought2bCommitted
06-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Awesome! Thanks Jarred!

Ought2bCommitted
06-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Mikko Mikko Mikko

LMAO. Thanks for the laugh John. That was good. True, and good.

Ought2bCommitted
06-15-2006, 02:12 PM
yes John, there is...

http://www.vh1.com/shared/media/images/movies/people/j/jackson_michael/150x223.jpg

- Mikko ... apologizes for all the wrong levels of that joke.

LOL. Man you were all on a roll.

logicfilms
06-15-2006, 04:31 PM
6 minutes MAX. Due date Oct. 1st

Horror film theme, must be made between June 1st and October 1st, 2006.

As most good horrors are, the rating limit is "R"

6 mins from start to end of the credits?

J.R. Hudson
06-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Yes .

Barry_Green
06-15-2006, 07:36 PM
And feel free to make it shorter! In Zombiefest we had very few films that used the full length, but recently it seems like everyone feels compelled to use all the time, even going so far as to pad their credits(!)

Use only as much time as you need to tell your story. And don't try to cram a 20-minute story into six minutes, that never works. If you can tell your story in three minutes, don't stretch it to six just for the sake of the contest -- we'll all appreciate a well-told three-minute story a lot more than a dragged-out six minute version of what should be a three-minute story! :thumbsup:

HorseFilms
06-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Exactly, Barry! It's like the Hollywood movies that feel the need to have a 3-hour running time when they have a 90 minute story.

Blaine
06-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Exactly, Barry! It's like the Hollywood movies that feel the need to have a 3-hour running time when they have a 90 minute story.
King Kong? :evil:

Jarred Land
06-15-2006, 11:57 PM
yes.. if you can make a movie in 7 minutes you can do it in 6.. shouldnt be an issue. There is no such thing as character arcs in horror flicks anyways :)

spooky138
06-22-2006, 05:58 AM
I beg to differ with you Jarred concerning the character arc statement. Have you not seen such classics as Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers or Microwave Massacre? More character arc in those films than one could shake a stick at...

Domino Harvey
06-22-2006, 07:00 AM
<.<
>.>

Ive never done one of these before, so feel free to ignore me....but, How can you tell a story in 6 minutes? I mean, how can you get to care for the characters, and have a good story.

Say for instace < Thinks >

These 8 teens go on a road trip, arrive where they do, things start happening, killed off one by one, blahdy blahdy blah. The end. How could you tell that in 6 minutes? I mean...I just dont know how you could.

( Not that its my plot im just using it as a example >. >)

Would you just include the last 6 minutes of the film like some sort of intense sequence

Is it cheating to look at previous horror films made in the competition to get an idea of what Its like?

< Feels like an idiot - Im gonna go back to my alchol now >

spooky138
06-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Fret not Domino... Making a short with a six min. time limit may seem daunting but it's very doable. I will use the synopsis to the last horror short contest I entered as an example (time limit was 5 min's btw):

Blackness. Radio static is heard, then a station is tuned in. The broadcaster is talking about a rash of murders in the area recently and reports of two students missing.

Title: GRAVE MATTER

Fade in: A girl is chained to a wall in a decrepit room. As she slowly wakes up the scene comes into focus. In the center of this room is a large black table with a guy chained down to it. (These two kids are, presumably, the two reported missing in the radio broadcast which also stated that they were on their way to a "Future Problem Solvers" competition for their high school when they disappeared)

The girl calls to her friend trying to wake him up. He is out of reach for her so she quietly pleads with him to wake up. As she does this, she looks about the room. The walls are painted a sickly lime green and are peeling and cracked. Various instruments of torture adorn the walls and blood is spattered everywhere. In the corner, is a giant sledgehammer. Also, on a nail in the wall hang a set of keys.

Finally, the guy wakes up. The two try figuring out how they're going to escape their present predicament since they're both locked up in chains. Neither of them remember what happened to'em or how they got there. Finally, using their aforementioned "problem solving" skills, they devise a plan (a chain reaction type thing kinda like that old Mousetrap boardgame) to get ahold of those keys on the wall. Their plan works and the girl gets unchained and just as she goes over to the guy to unchain him, we see on a crappy old surveillance monitor that someone is coming...

Then, all of a sudden, behind the two protagonists, a light bursts on and there stands a large, gruesome looking man silhouetted. He bursts into the room and casts the girl aside... picks up the sledgehammer and smashes the boy's head on the table. The girl runs out of the room screaming as the man persues her.

The last shot is of the girl running into barred doors (like prison doors) and, in a panic, reaching through them trying to escape. Then, from out of the darkness, the man's hands appear and pull her back into the void and a heavy iron door slams shut on the camera.

Roll credits to a foreboding tone.

This actually seemed a bit complicated for a five minute movie to me at the time but we pulled it off and it turned out to be a pretty effective little scare flick. After doing that one, I know that a scary short film CAN be accomplished and I am ecstatic over this upcoming Horrorfest. So... Just do it, Domino! If you're interested, just make it happen. It CAN work if you put some thought into it before you really start scripting. Just keep the time limit in mind the whole time you're working on the story.

Cheers,
Mikey

Noah
06-22-2006, 08:49 AM
I have to say I agree with Domino for the most part. Spooky, while it is doable to have a complete story, your example fails to meet the criteria. You showed an example of a scene, not a complete film, which is what seems to be, for the most part, what you get in competitions like this. So Domino, while I wouldn't be concerned with having a fleshed out 3-act structure since most viewers (who are also judges) in dvxuser competitions don't need it, I would urge you to try your hardest in having some sort of development. Cache, in herofest, was a great example of this. While it wasn't the complete story, it showed a struggle and a clear change in the character. A very important part to its success was the aspect of it leaving the audience WANTING to see the rest of the story play out.

Jarred Land
06-22-2006, 10:01 AM
I beg to differ with you Jarred concerning the character arc statement. Have you not seen such classics as Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers or Microwave Massacre? More character arc in those films than one could shake a stick at...

ha ha ha hah ah ha hahaha i love it

Kholi
06-22-2006, 10:04 AM
I'd thought about that, having six minutes and the fact that it might seem more like an exceprt from a longer short, as opposed to it's own self contained six minute short film.

Maybe it doesn't matter that much? Do what you can in six, and if you can't, do what others are doing: make a longer one and chop a six minute cut out of it.

Barry_Green
06-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Watch the winning zombiefest films: Texas Fortune, Shed, etc. They told great stories in a five-minute time limit.

Noah
06-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Barry is right, Texas Fortune does a really good job in five minutes. Maybe this is because the world of zombies is pre-established - mainly the fact that if this creature bites you, you turn into one also, doesn't have to be explained because its assumed the audience already understands. But maybe its not that. Either way, Texas Fortune is a good example of how simple/complex a story can be told in under 5 minutes.

Kholi
06-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Barry is right, Texas Fortune does a really good job in five minutes. Maybe this is because the world of zombies is pre-established - mainly the fact that if this creature bites you, you turn into one also, doesn't have to be explained because its assumed the audience already understands. But maybe its not that. Either way, Texas Fortune is a good example of how simple/complex a story can be told in under 5 minutes.

No, you're pretty much on the money. Texas Fortune was a pretty good entry, regardless.

Guess it's just a matter of getting beyond wanting to tell some elaborate story and just doing something.

DarkMatter
06-25-2006, 01:22 AM
Next question can we submit 2 movies?

logicfilms
06-25-2006, 03:27 AM
Next question can we submit 2 movies?
Well can we?

Domino Harvey
06-25-2006, 06:35 AM
And! does it have to be Serious, horror? ::wink

Weston
06-26-2006, 10:04 AM
When are the Official set of rules coming out i wonder?

Jarred Land
06-26-2006, 10:25 AM
sometime this week :)

Weston
06-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Hurray!

Domino Harvey
06-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I hate weeks....What day is it?

O.O

Matthew B. Moore
06-27-2006, 07:32 AM
The 2 film deal is my main question. Basically, can one group of filmmakers make 2 films if the producers and director/writers are different.

I'm not talking about double dipping. This fest has created a lot of hype around hereand many people want to play. Not enough project for all.

Jarred Land
06-27-2006, 07:53 AM
2 films is fine.. even if its the same director/crew. Just dont recut old stuff.

Matthew B. Moore
06-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks

Kholi
06-27-2006, 01:32 PM
2 films is fine.. even if its the same director/crew. Just dont recut old stuff.

Awesome.

DarkMatter
06-27-2006, 04:32 PM
You're the man!.... Obviously.

Beat Takeshi
06-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Thats great being able to enter 2 films. MsMahattan is going to enter her own this time also along with mine.

Edgen
06-28-2006, 11:50 PM
wait.. is the deadline the 1st of OCT or the 31st?

/j

Jarred Land
06-29-2006, 12:41 AM
deadline is the 1st of october. Im trying to make it so we can have the DVD out by Haloween.

MsManhattan
06-29-2006, 05:41 AM
Thats great being able to enter 2 films. MsMahattan is going to enter her own this time also along with mine.

Actually thats not confirmed. MsManhattan may not have the dough to produce her own film...

Weston
06-29-2006, 03:52 PM

So what your saying is....i can make a film....leave a cliffhanger and have an instant sequel!? Both running at 6 minutes?!

Ben Sliker
06-29-2006, 04:47 PM
i would say that you would have to have two unrelated films.

Kholi
06-29-2006, 05:17 PM
i would say that you would have to have two unrelated films.

Yeah, two unrelated films.

Why would you try to cheat the system like that? :)

Weston
06-29-2006, 06:38 PM
yes i was just joking.....as the exclamation points and question marks implyed

Ben Sliker
06-30-2006, 08:00 AM
lol. I think this will work better for you.

you mean i can have two about the same thing???!!?!?!?!?!?!

Weston
06-30-2006, 08:43 AM
lol. I think this will work better for you.

you mean i can have two about the same thing???!!?!?!?!?!?!

haha....probably

Ben Sliker
07-02-2006, 03:11 PM
sometime this week :)

*cue jeopardy theme music*

just kidding jarred, don't hurt me.