PDA

View Full Version : What about SI's other cameras?

Martin Landsburg
06-13-2006, 02:51 AM
Hi, I was wondering why nobody has commented or asked about the industrial camera product line silicon imaging has, such as these:

http://www.siliconimaging.com/SI6600%20spec.htm
http://www.siliconimaging.com/si3170RGB%20Cover.htm
http://www.siliconimaging.com/SI-3300%20Specs.htm

they all look like they have higher specs than the SI 1920, of course
I could be overlooking something. They might not have a video application
other than Bio/medical research? Or they are insanely expensive?
Or nothing but C-mount lenses can be used?

Can Ari or someone else please inform me!

I see many other Gig Ethernet and Firewire and even USB 2.0 cams on the web, some even with 1" CMOS sensors....why is nobody paying attention to them?

click on industrial cameras http://www.siliconimaging.com/index1.htm

Emanuel
06-13-2006, 06:28 AM
As the world can see, Silicon Imaging is not just a "new" digital camera...

Martin Landsburg
06-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Yes Emanuel, I think the technology has been out there for a while, and SI has been working at it for more than the few months that we've been hearing about them.

SO what do you think of the other cams that i listed?
Useful for digital filmmaking/broadcasting? or not?
Martin

Martin Landsburg
06-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Ok i just got my answer...no. Yes, it didn't surprise me that I can't get the same quality for a lot less, but can't blame me for trying!

It's clear to me now why SI 1920 is really something special. Looking forward to developments, and my piggy bank getting fat enough to burp up 12.5K...one day!

Jason Rodriguez
06-15-2006, 08:02 AM
I figured someone would find the industrial site someday :)

Yes, we've been making cameras for years . . . of course those cameras are specifically for industrial environments . . . for instance, there is no specific recording software for them, etc. . . typically the end users would access the RAW data and do stuff themselves, or use some type of engineering-style DVR program (not too good for on-set work . . . doesn't feel like a "real" camera like what we're all used to).

Another issue is that many of those cameras are using older CMOS technology that's not too great for super-high quality cinematography purposes . . . the Altasens chip on the other-hand has some of the best image quality in the industry bar-none. Additionally it's fast . . . for instance, that 1" CMOS from fill-factory is only 5-6fps at full resolution.

But we're real, and the 1920 is not the first camera we're making by any means . . . and definitely not the last ;)

MovieSwede
06-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Hopefully not the last ;)

But I hope the cameras get more and more "field-robust"

Ari Presler
06-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Our camera are used in very harsh conditions, several of which I cannot detail. What I can tell you is that Silicon cameras are used by organizations such as:

US Navy
NASA
Northrup Grumman
Lockheed-Martin
Raytheon
Rockwell
Lawrence Livermore
Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL)

just to name a few. :-) !

When you shoot with Silicon you will become a member of an illustrious and demanding pedigree of users.

hemophilia
06-15-2006, 10:15 PM
So what you're saying is that every time we see one of those point-of-view cameras of a precision american cruise missile heading in the front door of an [evil terrorist freedom-hating] target, that in fact it's a SI camera going ka-boom?

How tragic. Although I suppose it's a good market to sell a lot of cameras, as long as you're not warranting them.

"Uh... hi Ari... this is Lieutenant Morgan. Yeeeeeeeeah one of our cameras seems to be having some problems again. It's um..... vaporized?"

Ari Presler
06-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Lieutenant...I can neither confirm nor deny any of your statements. I can only state make, model and serial number.

MovieSwede
06-16-2006, 12:23 AM
But will the final look like the one in spun?

Ari Presler
06-16-2006, 04:27 AM
No. The Mini will be getting a little more Mini. It will be 65mm wide in order to allow 2 mini's to sit side by side at the minimum interoccular distance. We are intent on supporting the emerging 3D market.

The DVR will also be different. We have several meetings in Hollywood during the next 2 weeks to get user input on our mechanical design concepts. I expect to have rendered models a few weeks later.

ESTEBEVERDE
06-16-2006, 08:25 AM
But will the final look like the one in spun?

Hey Movie Swede~

I think there might be some confusion over camera packages.

There is the "Mini" package like the one on Spoon and then there is the "Complete" with the "body"

The "Mini" gives you the "front end" of the camera allowing you to use the recording platform of your choice.

This will give us here-to-fore unparralled versatility and portability that will open up an incredible amount of shooting options.

The "Complete" or "Full" package includes the "field ruggadized body".

What Ari is doing is giving us the absolute best of both worlds!

He is giving us total freedom of choice.

If all we need or want is the ultra portable and versatile "Mini" he's there for us.

If we want or need a full blown field ruggadized package? No problem! He will meet that need as well.

It's important to remember that the SI cameras we are seeing being used on Spoon are prototypes. They are not in the final form factors.

Now the amazing thing is that Spoon is getting such amazing results from these prototypes. Can you imagine how incredible it will be as it is continually refined into the cameras we will get!