PDA

View Full Version : No Best Editing Catagory???

Texture
06-08-2006, 07:21 PM
No Best Editing Catagory???

I've been seeing some real kick ass editing...

Blaine
06-08-2006, 07:31 PM
In the past, editing has been lumped in with cinematography. I agree that it deserves its own category...perhaps on HorrorFest. :) (with lighting then being moved into the cinematography category)

CineMark
06-08-2006, 09:10 PM
I agree guys, editing is an art in itself. Look at these guys who do nothing but cut movie trailers — they do beautiful work, and they have nothing to do with the cinematography.

Mike McNeese
06-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Would it make any sense to lump SFX together with editing?

Herman Witkam
06-09-2006, 02:01 AM
Would it make any sense to lump SFX together with editing?

Definitely not.

SFX should be called sound design anyway, and that should also include dialog recording and all other sound.

OmaR
06-09-2006, 02:17 AM
I agree guys, editing is an art in itself. Look at these guys who do nothing but cut movie trailers they do beautiful work, and they have nothing to do with the cinematography.
I totally agree with you

Chris Messineo
06-09-2006, 07:27 AM
I totally agree there should be a category for editing.

Not only to reward those who did a great job, but I think most of the films that suffer usually do because of poor editing and it would be nice to have a category to let them know. The cinematography might be great, but if the pace is slow it can be grueling.

Chris

Beat Takeshi
06-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Yeah that sounds like a great idea. I know my editing could use a lot of help> I tend to leave shots up too long because I shot them. MsManhattan is always trying to get me to shorten them but I resist.

Jarred Land
06-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Done and noted.. Horrorfest will have edit cat. We had it before, dont know why we got rid of it.

Texture
06-09-2006, 12:38 PM
I guess you edited out...

Mike McNeese
06-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Done and noted.. Horrorfest will have edit cat. We had it before, dont know why we got rid of it.

But HeroFest will NOT have best editing? BTW, when I said SFX, I meant Special FX, not sound....sound effects would be included in sound design, right?

Jarred Land
06-10-2006, 02:29 AM
yes herofest no best editing... sorry :(

Norm Sanders
06-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Jarred, is it really too late to add it in now? Or at the very least maybe it could be a Moderator voted category, just like the technical one was for Zombie Fest? I think even if some of these things were mod voted, it'd still make people feel good to get that notice.

Jarred Land
06-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Man Envisions musta drank some carrot juice this morning cause he has all the brain today.. i like that idea.

Norm Sanders
06-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Trail mix, baby. Breakfast of champions ... as long as my kids don't pick out all the M&M's! :furious3:

Now I feel like I'm just following you around the board. :)

Larry Rutledge
06-10-2006, 05:26 PM
MMMmm Carrot Juice. That stuff is pretty good. Especially if you add apples, celery and a beet to it when you make it.

No, really, it is pretty good....and good for you. Although, I have to admit, if I want something orange to dring, I would prefer Sunkist....but that isn't as good for you :)

Now I feel like I'm just following you around the board. :)

Stalker alert! Stalker Alert! Quick call out the super heros to save Jarred!! :grin:

Mike McNeese
06-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Jarred, is it really too late to add it in now? Or at the very least maybe it could be a Moderator voted category

That might work. Just seems like editing is such a big part of this fest with all of the action and everything...maybe don't worry about an editing prize, just some recognition.

I ate half a carrot cake tonight, does that count for anything?

Larry Rutledge
06-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Ohhhh... I LOVE carrot cake!!! The only thing better is German Chocolate Cake.....

Thanks, now my sweet tooth is aching and right before I restart my fitness program!!

edited to add: Ok, I just talked my wife into baking something sweet :) I guess the health deal can wait until Monday :grin:

Matt Grunau
06-10-2006, 11:06 PM
SFX should be called sound design anyway, and that should also include dialog recording and all other sound.

I disagree. That is like saying that visual effects should be lumped in with cinematography. Sound effects design is a completely different animal than dialouge sweetening or things of the like (unless you are doing something specific with a voice FOR an effect). Foley and Sound Design should be put together, call that sound design.

Michael T
06-12-2006, 02:49 AM
Editing is what makes the story come alive and gives the punch to the film, just like kick ass audio its the essence of the project.