PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Help!

NickMilo
06-06-2006, 01:42 AM
I was wondering if you photoshop guru's could help me get pictures to the OBEY stlye where theres just a few colors, making it easier to screen print.

Some examples of what I'm trying to do:

Notorious BIG :

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/Raven640jr/yrblu2154.jpg

LL Cool J :

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/Raven640jr/obey3.jpg

Much Thanks!!!!

kai
06-06-2006, 05:55 AM
Of course, but you need to do it all in illustrator. Screens are made from vector files. You could posterize a photo in photoshop down to 2 colors, then autotrace it in illustrator to get a starting point for what you're after.

Michael Carter
06-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Illustrator is probably preferred for this sort of thing... but I've done 30-odd silkscreened beverage T-shirts this year in Photoshop (so I could use textures from bitmaps more effectively).

Read up on using spot-color channels in Photoshop if you don't have or know illustrator. You can posterize your art, and then use things like the magic wand or 'select color' to create spot color channels. You can then tweak the individual spot channels to clean 'em up or make the art clearer (you may not be totally happy with the way photoshop posterizes; you can lose details you really need, etc. and may need to use paint tools on the channels).

Also, if you use spot-color photoshop files, you'll have to save them as EPS, and be aware of trapping (illustrator files are usually trapped automatically by whomever makes the printing plates, negs , or screens. Photoshop spot files need to be manually trapped).

"Trapping" is essentially this: multi-colored art can never be printed with complete registration accuracy. Where colors butt up against each other, there will be areas where they're a bit off. The way to get around this is usually to print lightest-to-darkest (your yellows, say, will go down before your deep blues). The lighter colors will be "expanded" (spread a bit) or the darker colors will be "Choked" (shrunken in) and slightly overlapped. Often you'll do both, in small increments.

You'll have to do this to your spot channels, often using the filter>other>"Maximum" or "minimum".

This is more of an issue in silkscreened or other "spot color" jobs; printing photographic art uses a different process, and "trapping" is conceptually different. Talk to your printer and see what they need for good registration. Hope that helps--MC