PDA

View Full Version : movie poster

flitch13
06-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey I made a movie poster for an English project my friends and I did, and I was wondering what people thought of it. This is definately my first movie poster. The only thing I took from else where and didn't do myself is the words Lord of the Rings.
http://www.belgumboys.net/LOTR_Poster_Completed_small.jpg
Any critizism would be much appreciated. Oh and I do have a bigger file incase anyone wants to look at that for some reason.

-Flitch

saturnin
06-05-2006, 11:10 PM
wow..everyone looks exactly the same..are u all brothers..or do kids nowadays look alike..lol :D

Michael Carter
06-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Hey, nice start... at this rez, your selections look good (the guy at left has some hard-edged hair; in an earlier post I go into windy detail about selecting hair...)

It has somewhat of a flat-pasted look; some shading where people overlap can tie this together; try adjustment layers with layer masks between each people-layer. One cool way to do this is to make a rough, soft selection of where such shadows would fall on one character, and add an adjustment layer above that character while the selection is active (curves or levels, whichever you're comfy with). Darken and tweak til the density looks correct - making the adj. layer while there's a selection will automatically make a layer mask as well, so you can visualize the effect.

Then use paint tools or soft-edged selections to tweak the masks so the shadows "wrap" properly, fill in deeper wrinkles in clothes, etc.

For this style of poster, google up the various LOTR posters and think about the "feel". They're extremely romanticized; the colors are warm and glowing, skin is smooth, etc. It looks like you're doing a parody here, so it's your call how close you need to come with the feel of your art.