PDA

View Full Version : Submission Info

Jarred Land
05-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Congratts everyone who has finished or is very close to finishing.

Today is the official Deadline, but your gonna have till Saturday morning to upload.

Submission Formats:

I need 2 versions of your film, one as a MPEG 2 file, either grouped or demuxed ( 1 file with a .mpg extension, or a seperated file with m2v and ac3 etc.)

and a H.264 QUICKTIME version that will be used for voting. H.264 version should be around 480 lines scaled, and be under 40mb. If you shot in HD with the HVX, you can submit a full 720 24p sized file for viewing, try and keep the size under 150mb.

READY?

http://dvxuser.com/herofest/

Beat Takeshi
05-30-2006, 11:06 AM
YAY! Now to figure out the H264 thing.

Jarred Land
05-30-2006, 11:09 AM
If your using Vegas, you need quicktime 7 installed. When you goto export, you should see MainConcept AVC codec in the options, that the H264 codec, export with that, it will give you a mp4 extension, which is fine.

Brandon Rice
05-30-2006, 11:10 AM
I don't even have a film, but I'm SUPER excited!!

Larry Rutledge
05-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey Jarred, is that true for Vegas 5 as well? Or just Vegas 6? If it doesn't work like that for Vegas 5, can I render to something else and then use the Quicktime 7 directly to make the H264 thingy-ma-bob (like my technical terms)?

Beat Takeshi
05-30-2006, 11:49 AM
im using premiere but have the new main concept codecs and will try that.

PS. if you grab the right pixel in the banner it will peel off the cover.

MiataFilmSomething
05-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Tissue please, I gotta wipe up this drool...

Jarred Land
05-30-2006, 01:27 PM
http://dvxuser.com/herofest/

Untsikka
05-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Wow... It's happening...

Matt Sconce
05-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Can it be Sorenson 3 Quicktime if it is under 40 mb?

Jarred Land
05-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Can it be Sorenson 3 Quicktime if it is under 40 mb?

yes it can, but your kinda limiting your quality.

Norm Sanders
05-30-2006, 02:18 PM
If your using Vegas, you need quicktime 7 installed. When you goto export, you should see MainConcept AVC codec in the options, that the H264 codec, export with that, it will give you a mp4 extension, which is fine.

Jarred, SMOKIN' tip, thanks! I'll test that out right away. I've always had to export an uncompressed AVI, then bring that into QT7 Pro to export out ... what a pain, not to mention trial & error process.

arielman
05-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Wow ..Thankfully i now have Vegas ..never had to make a Q time file .
we are sooo close to finishing . hopefully tonight will be the last .
Ian

david jerome
05-30-2006, 02:52 PM
2 questions,

Are there behind the scenes extras being submitted for this contest and if so are there any guidelines for them?

Is it correct that we should not add any pull-up in the export process?

Thanks guys. I'm really exited to be a part of this.
David

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-30-2006, 02:59 PM
2 questions,

Are there behind the scenes extras being submitted for this contest and if so are there any guidelines for them?
BTS yes, but not for the contest but for the DVD

No guidlines but probaby a half hour is too long :grin:

so you have some time to get those together (like a month) as most people are just finishing the short itself right now

I think you can go ahead and submit them now if you got em though.

Is it correct that we should not add any pull-up in the export process?

Thanks guys. I'm really exited to be a part of this.
David
output a true 24 fps file

this (as always) is sexiest for web and DVD (smaller file and just like film) and sexiest for your guerilla, indie, DV bohiney! GRRRRR ! :costumed-smiley-047 :cheesy:

david jerome
05-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks Jack.

Matt Sconce
05-30-2006, 03:06 PM
What does half size scaled mean? I can get a Quicktime compressed file to 720x480 and have it look really good, and be under 40mb. Do I have to cut the size? I am confused. Anyone know?

Norm Sanders
05-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Yep, the size should then be no greater than 360x wide at half scale

Anthem78
05-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Sweet. I'll have mine loaded in a couple of hours.

Matt Sconce
05-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Woohoo! uploading!

Matt Sconce
05-30-2006, 06:29 PM
I believe i have uploaded successfully, but this is the first time, so I am unsure how to tell that the upload worked. I saw my files in the FTP folder, but do they play through, etc? AHHH I am stressing out!

Beat Takeshi
05-30-2006, 08:44 PM
hmmmm half scale... I have a section that drops out a little when small because of compression. The scene has a ton of 1 pixel particles and when compressed too much they just disappear.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-30-2006, 08:50 PM
I just PMed Jarred and asked if we couldl have
480X320 for letterbox within 4:3
480X270 for cropped 16X9
and
480X202 for 2.35:1
EDIT: We call it 4:3 because we watch it on / it plays back correctly on 4:3 monitors.

480 is the industry standard for large trailers and as long as the file size is under the 40ish MB limit - it shouldn't matter unless theirs some flash or streaming window or something that it will foul up. But if we are downloading it shouldn't matter.

I liked it in Zombie fest when there was just a file size limit, not a video size, so you could compensate for issues like that.

You need the extra resolution.

Someone else might have artifacting problems and want a smaller file.

Also we'll look like postage stamps next to teh HVX files, lol.

We'll see what the big man says. :)

Jarred Land
05-30-2006, 08:55 PM
fine 480 is good by me if you keep it under 40mb.

Anthem78
05-30-2006, 09:03 PM
nice.

snodart
05-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Wouldn't letter box within a 4:3 be 480 X 360?

360 is 3/4 of 480...

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-30-2006, 09:17 PM
but 4:3 isn't accurate actually -- thats a 640 X 480 file which is NTSC 4:3

We really have NTSC 3:2 (720 X 480)
So halfsacle of (320 X 240) doesn't equal 4:3 either, but 3:2

So 3:2 (720 X 480) scales down to 480 X 320, not 360.

If you open Quicktime 7 for example and just change 720 to 480 with the maintain aspect ratio checked it will pop down to 480 X 320.

So if you just set the vertical size to 480, it will take care of itself in most instances. You only have to get our your caclulater if you want to crop to 16X9 or 2.35:1

MikeZas
05-31-2006, 12:08 AM
Does anyone else think that it might be a little unfair to have 720p HVX films competing with 320p DVX films? I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, but why do the DVX films have to shrink their size, when they're already so much smaller? I know there's bandwidth concerns and all that, but shouldn't HVX types have to play by the same rules? At least it'd be more fair to let the DVX people take advantage of the 40MB in the way they choose.

Matt Sconce
05-31-2006, 12:25 AM
If so, I would upload a 720x480 under 40mb file. That would rock!

Aaron Marshall
05-31-2006, 01:14 AM
Does anyone else think that it might be a little unfair to have 720p HVX films competing with 320p DVX films? I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, but why do the DVX films have to shrink their size, when they're already so much smaller? I know there's bandwidth concerns and all that, but shouldn't HVX types have to play by the same rules? At least it'd be more fair to let the DVX people take advantage of the 40MB in the way they choose.

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind. If anything it sets the videos apart and says, "this was made with an HVX, and that with a DVX" from the get go. That ain't cool. It's almost like class basketball or something. I think it would be neat to have everyone on the same level playing field. The HVXers are already going to have an advantage when it comes to color sampling 4:2:2 vs 4:1:1 right? Now resolution too?

I'm just saying it would be neat to go from film to film not knowing what camera was used really. It would be neat to see a DVX film and wonder "Wow that looked so good, I wonder if that dude was using an HVX?!" instead of a dramatic jump in resolution beating it into your head from file to file. Get it?

Oh well, no biggie I guess. It just seems a little odd.

Brandon Rice
05-31-2006, 01:18 AM
I do agree too... I think the aspect ratio size of the films should all be the same, regardless of if it was DVX or HVX.

Beat Takeshi
05-31-2006, 01:20 AM
But then people might mistake the dvx footage as sucky footage if there is a visual difference with the same compression. The DVX might look all smeary compared to the HVX at the same compression.

Aaron Marshall
05-31-2006, 01:23 AM
But then people might mistake the dvx footage as sucky footage if there is a visual difference with the same compression. The DVX might look all smeary compared to the HVX at the same compression.

I don't think so. If your shots were rigged up nicely you should be fine. I mean there would be differences, but a beautifully lit and composed shot on a DVX vs a low quality shot on the HVX... you would think the DVX footage was way better.

Matt Sconce
05-31-2006, 01:31 AM
I don't think so. If your shots were rigged up nicely you should be fine. I mean there would be differences, but a beautifully lit and composed shot on a DVX vs a low quality shot on the HVX... you would think the DVX footage was way better.

Exactamundo...My DVX100b original Quicktime Compressed file was a 720x480 beauty under 40 mb. Who knows...maybe everyone will like this "All the same size" idea and I will get to use it. Oh well though. If not, at least we have been able to go to 480x320. I look forward to seeing all of your films!

Jarred Land
05-31-2006, 01:42 AM
you guys... your talking about SD and HD.. the HVX is a HD camera and the DVX is a SD camera.. you cant try and lock them into the same size, its just how it is, sorry guys, and everyone shooting SD needs to understand that its the way the world is turning... SD resolution just cant compete with HD resolution. HVX guys are out there shooting in HD, editing in HD and outputing to HD, so it would be unfair for them to knock it down to SD resolutions.

Dont worry though, if we have all learned something, resolution doesnt have alot to do with determining the winner.

Larry Rutledge
05-31-2006, 01:58 AM
Dont worry though, if we have all learned something, resolution doesnt have alot to do with determining the winner.

We'll have more proof of that when my film wins this contest!!!! :grin: :sticking-tongue-out-smilie: :evil:

Aaron Marshall
05-31-2006, 02:21 AM
you guys... your talking about SD and HD.. the HVX is a HD camera and the DVX is a SD camera.. you cant try and lock them into the same size, its just how it is, sorry guys, and everyone shooting SD needs to understand that its the way the world is turning... SD resolution just cant compete with HD resolution. HVX guys are out there shooting in HD, editing in HD and outputing to HD, so it would be unfair for them to knock it down to SD resolutions.

but 720p is the very definition of SD that the HD's ultimately being rendered down to. I'm a bit confused. Why not let the DVX stuff stay in its original state at 720p? Are you just saying that because they shot in HD, edited in HD, they need a leg up in resolution over us ancient and archaic SD users? ( I guess I just wasted 3+ grand on a rusty old clunker, whew I feel good! :grin:)

The SD vs HD argument can't apply. It's more like SD vs SSD (sub standard definition).

My gripe is mainly about breaking rhythm from film to film by seeing them distinctly in two separate resolutions. I don't think resolution will matter when it comes to winning. It will enter unnecessary thoughts in the viewers head.

It's still not that big of a deal personally. I just can't figure out the logic. I'm happy with 480p. I'm just idealistic by nature.

Aaron Marshall
05-31-2006, 02:28 AM
Just to follow up, I think this is a great thing that's being done here. That's a given. It's organized very well and an incredible opportunity to show off our visions, get to know each other better and just solidify the community. That's where I stand.

Is it just me, or does anyone else get that warm fuzzy feeling like it's Christmas eve? :grin:

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-31-2006, 05:32 AM
every time Aarron ... everytime ...
*gets misty*
http://pbatey.tripod.com/good.jpg

snodart
05-31-2006, 05:50 AM
Only thing fuzzy right now are my eyes. I'm no stranger to late nights, but I've pulled to many in a row lately. We just finalized the sound mix as much as we could and I'm exporting from FCP now. That bar has a long arse way to go. There are so many things that I wish I had time to change, but what can I say, we have learned more than I can even begin to express.

As for the SD vs. HD, if my mind is working correctly right now... It seems that their should either be two separate categories or one category for all of equal res. Probably not a good idea for this time around... just too late in the game.

But what the hell, all I know is that I owe a big thanks to all those that put this together and I'm glad I stuck it out.
:dankk2:

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-31-2006, 06:15 AM
Yep,

It's important to remember that Jarred is basically a one man band running all over the country putting on bootcamps, designing and selling T Shirts, batteries, coordinating and running this contest, and doing all of the programming and design for this site ... and getting in some pickup shots for Speilberg and shooting a doc or a slasher pic along the way

Sure he picks up a buck or two for batteries and what not, and the site has some sponsors, but nothing in comparisson to the costs of maintaining the site and the sheer number of hours he puts in.

Its easy to forget because the site seems so "big time" and supported, and their are great mods here, but when push come to shove, Jarred is the one up until butcrack A.M. burning DVD's and encoding very single movie for web viewing (for the last fest).

(I know Debranne and others help. But its still a lot for one dood even with a little help from his friends.)

The only pay he gets for putting these contests together is our thanks.

:thumbsup:

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-31-2006, 06:18 AM
but 720p is the very definition of SD that the HD's ultimately being rendered down to. I'm a bit confused ...
It's not being rendered down. HD is referred to by horizontal resoltion and when they say 720, they mean 1280 X 720, so almost twice the size of SD. At least that's the size I think he means. I have heard 1280 X 720 referred to as "720".

Jack

Brandon Rice
05-31-2006, 07:27 AM
Yep,

It's important to remember that Jarred is basically a one man band running all over the country putting on bootcamps, designing and selling T Shirts, batteries, coordinating and running this contest, and doing all of the programming and design for this site ... and getting in some pickup shots for Speilberg and shooting a doc or a slasher pic along the way

Sure he picks up a buck or two for batteries and what not, and the site has some sponsors, but nothing in comparisson to the costs of maintaining the site and the sheer number of hours he puts in.

Its easy to forget because the site seems so "big time" and supported, and their are great mods here, but when push come to shove, Jarred is the one up until butcrack A.M. burning DVD's and encoding very single movie for web viewing (for the last fest).

(I know Debranne and others help. But its still a lot for one dood even with a little help from his friends.)

The only pay he gets for putting these contests together is our thanks.

And for all that Jarred I thank you, we thank you! :) :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Cinestarproductions
05-31-2006, 07:32 AM
Get the champagne out.....time to upload the movie!

EJ Pennypacker
05-31-2006, 09:06 AM
Who does the artwork for the DVD's?

I really liked the ZombieFest cover. Sci-Fi was Sexy. Hero is cool.

Who does this work?

EJ

Jarred Land
05-31-2006, 11:21 AM
As for the SD vs. HD, if my mind is working correctly right now... It seems that their should either be two separate categories or one category for all of equal res. Probably not a good idea for this time around... just too late in the game.
:dankk2:

Sorry for the confusion guys. This contest is all about getting you guys out making movies. Its so you get some real world uses with your cameras. In the real world, if you make a film right now your competing with HD material. If you shoot a show on SD and are selling it through a sales agent or even directly, your competing against other shows that more and more are shot in HD.. its the way the industry works. The distributor isnt going to say " oh its ok here is a pile of SD shows and a pile of HD shows".. they are all together. Its like entering Sundance, there is Film, there is SD and HD. There isnt seperate catagories for each, and when they are shown you know exactly what format they are in.

But, if it makes everyone feel a little better, I will see the ratio and maybe split things up. But trust me, a bad film at 720 is just as bad at 480.

CineMark
05-31-2006, 02:42 PM
I agree totally with that last statement:
"a bad film at 720 is just as bad at 480".

I've seen some garbage and I don't care how big or clear it is, it's still garbage.

Anthem78
05-31-2006, 03:49 PM
I agree. A bad film is a bad film, no matter what the resolution.

Larry Rutledge
05-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Yep, but when you see mine, you'll see an AWESOME film at postage stamp size resolution :evil: :grin:

Brandon Rice
05-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Word!!!! :)

snodart
05-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Sorry for the confusion guys. This contest is all about getting you guys out making movies. Its so you get some real world uses with your cameras. In the real world, if you make a film right now your competing with HD material. If you shoot a show on SD and are selling it through a sales agent or even directly, your competing against other shows that more and more are shot in HD.. its the way the industry works. The distributor isnt going to say " oh its ok here is a pile of SD shows and a pile of HD shows".. they are all together. Its like entering Sundance, there is Film, there is SD and HD. There isnt seperate catagories for each, and when they are shown you know exactly what format they are in.

But, if it makes everyone feel a little better, I will see the ratio and maybe split things up. But trust me, a bad film at 720 is just as bad at 480.

I see your point Jarred. In all honestly, I'm just thankful that you put this thing together for everybody. I am also content with the current rules. I guess I was just comparing it to a festival showing SD movies on screens that were smaller than the screens used for HD and Film movies, simply because they were shot SD. I agree though that a good film is a good film no matter the size or format, and I know that the size won't make any difference in my judging.

Thanks again!

MikeZas
05-31-2006, 04:41 PM
I agree with everyone's praise of Jarred. This contest has been a wonderful expierence for me.

But I still have one issue that I don't think has been properly addressed. I don't mind the HVX guys being able to use their full resolution - that's more than acceptable. However, I have a big problem with the DVX guys not being able to use their full resolution, especially when it's smaller to begin with. I agree with Jared in the sense that it should be SD Vs. HD - but not, as Jack Daniel Stanlley so aptly put it, Postage Stamp Vs. HD.

The 40MB limit is fine, but if you're going to force resolution changes, in my book, it'd be fair to force them on everyone. Not neccesarily to the same resolution, but at least make everyone's smaller.

Edgen
05-31-2006, 09:49 PM
Hey guys... What's a Good Audio compression? I think i'm ready! just need to make sure its got the best sound possible. :)

/j

Aaron Marshall
05-31-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey guys... What's a Good Audio compression? I think i'm ready! just need to make sure its got the best sound possible. :)

/j

encode it into an ac3 file. It sounds really good. I compared it to a 320kbps mp3. They're about the same size. Your ac3 encoder should have some sort of preset for DVD preparation.

Edgen
05-31-2006, 10:29 PM
Drats! I can't find an AC3 encoding option. I'm exporting it from premiere and the file alone with no audio compression is sitting at 260 megs. I did however keep the encode at 100% quality so maybe lowering that would help too.

perhaps i'll have to dump it into AE first?

/j

Aaron Marshall
05-31-2006, 10:39 PM
How does the mpeg2 w/ audio compression sound in Premiere? If it sounds good just go that route. 260 megs sounds about right for an mpeg2. I think mine was like 223mb's or so, without sound that is. That's why I encoded the ac3 separately. It's a stand alone audio file that preps it for dropping it straight onto a DVD burn.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-31-2006, 10:57 PM
H.264 uses ACC so if you select that for your web version then you have ACC.
ACC is a "lossless codec", but I never downsample my audio. I just select h.264 and leave the audio at 48/16 ... occasionally I'll go down to 44.1/16

so using H.264/ACC you basically get CD quality

So for MPEG2's I wouldn't worry about which audio codec either. Just set it to 48/16 and you are good to go.

Aaron Marshall
05-31-2006, 11:15 PM
I think he'll be ok with the h.264 stuff.

I wasn't satisfied with Vegas' MPEG2 audio codec. It just didn't sound right to me. Premiere could be different maybe? If you don't notice any artifacts just go with it. I'm curious.

Edgen
06-01-2006, 02:37 AM
Ok.. Found another exporting function... I think i'll be set. now to just sit and watch the wheels spin...

for the h.264... do I keep it at 100%? or Should a shift it down more?

Also, if I still can't find the Audio Encode, what would you suggest for a suitable replacement?

/j

Anthem78
06-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Is a 42mb file acceptable? Or should I recompress?

Jarred Land
06-01-2006, 05:04 PM
you should be able to turn that 42mb file into a 38mb file pretty easy.

If you guys are having problems with H.264, you can of course submit a Sorensen 3 MOV as well.

Anthem78
06-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Will do. I just have to find the right balance. I got one down to 32 earlier, but it seemed to step every so often. It was weird.

Mike McNeese
06-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Wow, my first try, I got to 40MB even. I bet I just blew all of my luck on that. Uploading right now!!!

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Or maybe its the start of a streak! :thumbsup:

Matt Sconce
06-02-2006, 01:46 AM
:costumed-smiley-047 I pitty da Foo! Just had to throw some Mr. T into the mix...I have no idea why...................must....sleep......zzzzzzzzz zzz

MiataFilmSomething
06-02-2006, 07:50 AM
So do we still have around 8 to 10 entires? Is this normal? Is it possible for a flooding of entries late tonight?

Anthem78
06-02-2006, 07:52 AM
The film from me and Cinemark (my bro.) is being uploaded now.

And I'm at 100 posts! Things couldn't be better.

One note, I loaded it all late last night, into the "create a directory please" folder, but this morning everything in that folder was gone - did it just get backed up off the server? I'm not sure if my transfer was completed before the backup, so I'm loading it again.

Bring on the judging.

Mike McNeese
06-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Anthem, I noticed the same thing...hopefully someone just moved some stuff around, cuz there are no movies in there at all now.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-02-2006, 08:08 AM
So do we still have around 8 to 10 entires? Is this normal? Is it possible for a flooding of entries late tonight?

the flood is normal

Anthem, I noticed the same thing...hopefully someone just moved some stuff around, cuz there are no movies in there at all now.

just means Jarred is moving them off the server

Anthem78
06-02-2006, 08:11 AM
That's what I figured. Just checking.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-02-2006, 08:12 AM

Mike McNeese
06-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Did anyone else feel like they gave birth when they submitted their movie?

MiataFilmSomething
06-02-2006, 08:45 AM
*whew*

MiataFilmSomething
06-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Did anyone else feel like they gave birth when they submitted their movie?

Not sure, but I do know that I'm going to have postpartum depression once it's over...

Jarred Land
06-02-2006, 10:18 AM
lol.. yeah im taking them down as they are uploaded.

Brandon Rice
06-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Yeah, a lot of people upload at the very end...

david jerome
06-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Is there a file size limit for the mpeg2, I'm around 360 meg, and are we suppose to upload it along with the h.264 file? Still working on this encoding stuff.

Jarred Land
06-02-2006, 10:53 AM
no limit on mpeg2.

Mike McNeese
06-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Are we still on pace to start the screenings on Monday?

Matt Sconce
06-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Are we still on pace to start the screenings on Monday?
I was wondering thesame thing. :)

Edgen
06-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Man... Call me a noob when it comes to exporting. Seriously, I'm having issues. What program are you guys using to export your films? And, do you have any particular codecs installed?

I've got a 9 gig .avi file. 720x480 uncompressed audio/dv video @ 24fps

Should I buy a video compression program?

/j

Jarred Land
06-02-2006, 11:58 AM
I gotta goto Vegas tonight for the Corrales fight.. wont be back till Sunday so we will see if i have time to get them all together monday. I dont see why not as i dont hafta reencode them all this time.

Aaron Marshall
06-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Man... Call me a noob when it comes to exporting. Seriously, I'm having issues. What program are you guys using to export your films? And, do you have any particular codecs installed?

I've got a 9 gig .avi file. 720x480 uncompressed audio/dv video @ 24fps

Should I buy a video compression program?

I just exported everything right out of Vegas. I'm not sure how Premiere works. I used it once a while back and hated it with a deep and burning passion. It's the bastard outcast cousin of Photoshop and AE. Even then, it should be able to export.

Do you have an option to output a Sony AAC file with an mp4 extension? It has to be 480x320. You don't have an option to export an mpeg2?

I don't know how good this program is, but you might give it a try:

http://www.winmpg.com/download.html

If it works I guess you have to pay $30 to get rid of the watermarks. :(

Edgen
06-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I just exported everything right out of Vegas. I'm not sure how Premiere works. I used it once a while back and hated it with a deep and burning passion. It's the bastard outcast cousin of Photoshop and AE.

Don't hate. :) Adobe is our friend.
(actually it is a punk b at times.

I don't know how good this program is, but you might give it a try:
http://www.winmpg.com/download.html
If it works I guess you have to pay $30 to get rid of the watermarks. :(

Guess I've gota do whatever it takes to get it done. PayPal here I come!

/j

Alex DePew
06-02-2006, 12:30 PM
I gotta goto Vegas tonight for the Corrales fight.. wont be back till Sunday so we will see if i have time to get them all together monday. I dont see why not as i dont hafta reencode them all this time.

(Snarls to self) :Drogar-Sick(DBG): Lucky bastid. You guys over on the Left Coast get all the best fights. I'd gladly fork over hard earned dough for that. But a flight and hotel on top of the high ticket price ends up being too much.

Have a great time. The fight will be awesome. Their first matchup was one of the top three or four fights I've ever seen.

Aaron Marshall
06-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Don't hate. :) Adobe is our friend.
(actually it is a punk b at times.

Guess I've gota do whatever it takes to get it done. PayPal here I come!

Oh man I'm crazy in love with Photoshop. My two adobe wives are Photoshop and Audition. I love'm both. AE is my mistress...but Premeire? How can it be so lame with all of its awesome family members? Oh well. I guess every family has a black sheep.

Beat Takeshi
06-02-2006, 12:51 PM

Wont be back until sunday? Does that mean we have until sunday afternoon to upload (fingers crossed)?

Mike McNeese
06-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Does that mean we have until sunday afternoon to upload (fingers crossed)?

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!

pia12254
06-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Edgen,

Just kind of dropped into the middle of this conversation but if you are trying to export a compressed video from Premiere you need to go to:

File/Export/Adobe Media Encoder

That will bring up a window that will allow you to choose your compression options.

Hope that is what you were looking for.

Later.

Beat Takeshi
06-02-2006, 02:15 PM
I tried that media encoder and it opens slow as ass and took twice as long to render. I rendered a H264 when I came back it only made a 2k file.

Cryogenic Filmworks
06-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Is everyone rendering the QT file at 720 or are they dropping it down to 360 so as to get the file under 40megs?

arielman
06-02-2006, 02:20 PM
We still have 3 more scenes to film later on before dark . geez were cutting it close .

Tried a Mpeg test last night with Vegas 6 ...Geeez it took 2 hrs to render 5 minutes and I am running a 3.0 Ghz .And I must have this finished before midnight .Not even sure how long it will take to do a Q time file .Maybe the same?
Some how we may finish but not have anything rendered in time .

If we don't make it.. O well It'll be great watching the others though .
Gotta go .
ian

Edit
Aram Bauman (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/member.php?u=414) "Wont be back until sunday? Does that mean we have until sunday afternoon to upload (fingers crossed)?"

Hey wouldn't that be nice

Beat Takeshi
06-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah, sure would. My composer could use the extra day since she just got the movie yesterday.

Aaron Marshall
06-02-2006, 02:48 PM
We still have 3 more scenes to film later on before dark . geez were cutting it close .

Tried a Mpeg test last night with Vegas 6 ...Geeez it took 2 hrs to render 5 minutes and I am running a 3.0 Ghz .And I must have this finished before midnight .Not even sure how long it will take to do a Q time file .Maybe the same?
Some how we may finish but not have anything rendered in time .

Wow that's a long time to render. I'm running Vegas on a 2.0 ghz / 1 gb of ram machine and it only took me 20 mins to render 5 mins of mpeg2, 15 mins for the quicktime file. What in the heck is bogging your system down?

Maybe you have a major adware/malware problem?

Larry Rutledge
06-02-2006, 03:06 PM
If you are using 3D Track Motion in Vegas it takes FOREVER to render.

arielman
06-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Wow that's a long time to render. I'm running Vegas on a 2.0 ghz / 1 gb of ram machine and it only took me 20 mins to render 5 mins of mpeg2, 15 mins for the quicktime file. What in the heck is bogging your system down?

Maybe you have a major adware/malware problem?

Ok I have a few minutes as I have no actor yet ..Grrr

Not really sure why it takes sooo long .My Studio 10 would take about 20 min or so .

I kind of thought there might be somethimg bogging it down ,I'll check it over tonight before rendering . Though this computer rarely is connected to the internet .
Ian

arielman
06-02-2006, 03:10 PM

Thanks Larry...I'll check that as well .
I am new to Vegas 6 .Do like it though!!!!!

Edgen
06-02-2006, 04:22 PM
OK.. question... Do you need QT Pro in order to compress the video out? Cause no matter what I do the file size is just friggin' huge! And... i downloaded the latest qt from the apple site, and an AAC codec.. but, in my export settings its not showing up. Any clues/suggestions?

I'd just assume to export it out to a DVD and overnight. :)

/j

Beat Takeshi
06-02-2006, 04:46 PM
yeah you need pro

Aaron Marshall
06-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Is there an option to export Sony AAC with an mp4 extension? Jarred said that was in fact H.264. This all confused me a bit too until I found out about the mp4 thing.

No you don't need pro. I don't have it, and it worked fine.

Edgen
06-02-2006, 05:48 PM
I just bought QT Pro, and still nothing. frakin' a this is driving me nuts! Does it have to be QT? Or can I submit a .wmv or avi?

Aaron, I tried downloading that program too, and no luck with that either. I'm thinking I just don't have something install right on my music machine and that's why its screwing up and my 'work' machine doesn't have the HD space. What a pain in the arse.

Anyone recommend another audio codec besides the AAC?

anyone want to hand feed me? and I thought I was technology savvy.

/j

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-02-2006, 07:10 PM
send me wmv and i will convert it for you

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-02-2006, 07:13 PM
wait.

I can make a .mov into a .wmv. but not vice versa

send me an .avi and that should work

Edgen
06-02-2006, 07:20 PM
The AVI file is 9 gigs. :) I'm even having issues exporting a mpg2. what a hassle. I'm gonna try out SQueeze.. see if that does the trick. maybe just leave the water mark in there for the time being.

/j

Beat Takeshi
06-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Your PM box is full

Larry Rutledge
06-02-2006, 08:13 PM
When I export a demuxed MPEG-2 from Vegas Video I get a .AC3 (audio file) and a .MPG (video file)...Jarred mentioned it should be .AC3 and .M2V. Is .MPG and .M2V the same thing? If I just change the file extension and upload will it be what he needs? Or am I rendering to the wrong format?

Yes, this question means I am doing the final render to upload!!! HOORAY! Precious sleep is just around the corner!

Happy Belated B-Day, J-DAWG! :thumbsup:

Jarred Land
06-02-2006, 08:39 PM
yes your fine larry.. m2v is perfect glad to see you made it

Edgen
06-02-2006, 11:31 PM
bingo! Thanks to Puffin' man, i'm well on my way!
*gota go change shirts from all the sweating bullets*

I was seriously about to just say frak it. I'm done.

yee haw!
/j

MikeZas
06-02-2006, 11:52 PM
So my project's going to be down to the absolute wire. What time Saturday morning are we looking at?

snodart
06-03-2006, 12:04 AM
ha ha man did i throw you guys a curveball there. I meant a few days, sorry. Saturday midnight is the official deadline but Im not gonna shut the server down till I wake up sunday.

It would be great to know who needs more time, I cant see how we went from 60 films to 20 films so quickly.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=49497&page=20

So it sounds like Sunday early AM would be pushing it.

Jarred Land
06-03-2006, 12:12 AM
When I wake up Sunday.. which usually is around 11am PST time, Ill probally walk the cat and go get a coffee, maybe goto the beach then come home and turn the switch off the server.

seriously though guys.. im realy leanient on the deadline. Sometime sunday but im not gonna shut it off if people are still uploading. This contest is for you guys, not for me.

Brandon Rice
06-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Yeah, and go on over to the uploaded thread to let me know if you're done or not :) thanks!

Larry Rutledge
06-03-2006, 12:18 AM
I NEED HELP!!!! I rendered the DVD version no problem, but I'm having trouble with the H.264 version.

I am using Vegas 5, so I rendered to an 24p Widescreen AVI file, then opened that in Quicktime 7 Pro and exported to a 480x320 mp4. What I got was only 12MB (that's cool), but it was 4:3, not 16:9.

My film was shot with the animorphic and edited in Vegas on a 24p Widescreen template.

HELP!! WHAT DO I DO? How do I get the correct MP4?

Jarred Land
06-03-2006, 12:20 AM
shoot it out as a sorenson 3 if you really need to Larry. 12mb is way too small too.

Beat Takeshi
06-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Glad to be of help Justin and thanks for the help also. :)

Aaron Marshall
06-03-2006, 12:30 AM
I NEED HELP!!!! I rendered the DVD version no problem, but I'm having trouble with the H.264 version.

I am using Vegas 5, so I rendered to an 24p Widescreen AVI file, then opened that in Quicktime 7 Pro and exported to a 480x320 mp4. What I got was only 12MB (that's cool), but it was 4:3, not 16:9.

My film was shot with the animorphic and edited in Vegas on a 24p Widescreen template.

Larry, I think you can type in a custom width. eg. 1.0 squared, .9 dv, 1.22 widescreen or whatever. You might have to type in a custom one to match. Also get your dimensions correct. It would be more like 480x270 or something.

Jack Daniel Stanley could probably help you out better. He's one savvy dude.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-03-2006, 12:34 AM

Larry

If you have a file that's the right data size and 4:3 squeezed, then you can go into the Quicktime menu...

"Windows"
"Show movie properties"
the pop up menu select
"visual settings"
deselect "maintain aspect ratio"
and change 480 X 320 to 480 X 270
and save
done
:)

Larry Rutledge
06-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks...apparently my AVI was not at the right dimensions 'cause it is playing 4:3 also. I'm re-doing the uncompressed AVI from Vegas, this time I told it to render it as 480X270, 1.212, 24p, uncompressed. Then I will open it in Quicktime 7 Pro and see if it is 16:9 like it is supposed to be. :fingers-crossed-smilie:

I sure wish I could figure all this compression stuff out....oh well, wish me luck :)

Edited to add: That seems to have worked, sort of. I think I was correct originally with the 480x320. WHen I rendered the 490x270 I got a widescreen file, but it was pillarboxed. I am re-doing it as 480x320 (I got that number by going into Photoshop, creating a 720x480 image with the pixel size set to 1.212 . . . then I changed the image size, leaving the maintain aspect ratio option selected, and changed the 720 to 480. The other number changed to 320).

Anyway, I am re-rendering the uncompressed at that size...then I will open it in QT7 Pro and try to save it as a .mp4. I have to "export" from QT7 Pro to get the h.264, correct?

Jarred Land
06-03-2006, 01:13 AM
Its cool if we only get like 25 entries.. If by Sunday morning we have 25 entries I will let everyone upload a 720 resolution version of thier film for the voting Sunday night.

Larry Rutledge
06-03-2006, 01:15 AM
Great, like I haven't had enough trouble trying to figure out how to render out what you currently want...now you are going to throw another format at me :)

Just kidding, sounds cool with me!

Larry Rutledge
06-03-2006, 01:26 AM
still not working right :Drogar-Angry(DBG): I was wrong with the 480x320, as described in an earlier post. It came out 4x3.

Trying different settings now....getting tired of rendering. And still have to export the H.264 version once I get the uncompressed AVI right.

But don't fret, I will prevail, and you will get to see my film :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Edited to add: FINALLY, after re-reading Jack's post about 6,000 times and thinking REAL hard, and getting some extra info/help from B-Dawg (briceman to the rest o' y'all) I understand what I was doing wrong. Even though JDS (Jack Daniel Stanley to the rest o' y'all) made a comment about "squeeze" I missed that part. Also, when I originally tried to follow his directions I missed (yes, from lack of sleep all week) the "uncheck maintain aspect ratio".

Anyway, it seems like it is correct now....though I now need to re-render to get less compression (it went down to 12MB which seems WAY too small).

Thanks everyone...and thanks J-Dawg (that's Jarred Land to the rest o' y'all) for your patience in letting us get these uploaded!! :thumbsup:

Good luck everyone, y'all are gonna need it :grin:

Brandon Rice
06-03-2006, 02:05 AM
Sweet Larry!!! Lookin' good... glad I could help out, and you got it figured out :)

Larry Rutledge
06-03-2006, 02:39 AM
Is Quicktime 7 Pro export usually slow? My uncompressed AVI came out at 11GB, so I know that is a big file to process...but it takes like 15 minutes to move 1% in the progress bar. THis is going to run all night, I guess I'll go to bed and upload in the morning (assuming this h.264 export is correct :eek: )

Peace out, Y'all!

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-03-2006, 02:42 AM
oof -- never done an 11 gig. 1 gig usually takes me like 1 - 5 minutes.

good luck.

Larry Rutledge
06-03-2006, 02:43 AM
WOuld it be better to render a DV file from Vegas and then convert to h.264? Do I need to start with an uncompressed? Or am I going to introduce too much compression artificats and what-not doing that?

Mike McNeese
06-03-2006, 06:54 AM
Larry, are you exporting DIRECTLY from your timeline in VEGAS? You might want to try exporting a composite DV movie, and then doing the export...it'll be much faster.

Untsikka
06-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Our 35mb h.264 looks like shit, I mean really bad. I bet there's something I'm doing wrong, or is everyone else also at 360x240 and quality about 12%? My sounds are compressed 3:1.

Edgen
06-03-2006, 11:17 AM
I compressed Sorenson 3 and it weighed in just at 39 mb. :) I'm curious though.. my MPG file was 128 mb. Was that the about the right size for everyone else??

/j

Jarred Land
06-03-2006, 11:21 AM
I compressed Sorenson 3 and it weighed in just at 39 mb. :) I'm curious though.. my MPG file was 128 mb. Was that the about the right size for everyone else??

/j

Dont worry guys.. I may be uping the files size for you depending on # of entries.. so just get your 480 line crappy looking one in for the time being.

arielman
06-03-2006, 11:50 AM

I'm still finding my way around Vegas ,can't seem to find Track Motion ..tried again this morning and it is sooooo slow 1hr and 45 min .this is frustrating .

We are almost there ..this short is rough though ..we'll keep trying .
Ian

Macchu
06-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Yikes! Must have been too early this morning but I did something stupid and added a "&" in the filenames I uploaded.

Would you be able to rename them properly Jarred? Sorry for the hassle :)

Larry Rutledge
06-03-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm still finding my way around Vegas ,can't seem to find Track Motion ..tried again this morning and it is sooooo slow 1hr and 45 min .this is frustrating .

We are almost there ..this short is rough though ..we'll keep trying .
Ian

Well, you'd know if you were using the 3d track motion. There is a "track motion" button in the header section of each track. If you click that then hit the drop down menu at the top left of the window and change it from "Source Alpha" (or whatever it is) to "3d Track Alpha" (or something like that), then you are using 3d track motion. But it is a deliberate choice that you would be aware of.

Are you using Magic Bullet? That is known to excessivly bloat render times. If so, you might want to consider Celluloid for your next project.

Larry Rutledge
06-03-2006, 09:38 PM

/j

My .mov file was about 33MB and my .m2v was about 127MB....so either we are both within the right range, or we are both jacked up!! (no that wasn't a reference to you JDS :evil: :grin: )

Edgen
06-03-2006, 09:49 PM
shew... WEll, mine was a .mpg too. Not sure if that would make a difference, but either way.. eh. bleh. I'm beating a dead horse if I keep at it. if I had anything to change, it would be the Color Correction and lighten some of the scenes. Looking at it now.. it maybe a lil' dark. But.. I'm sure have you folks are MAC'Cult'ees anyway so I've got an advantage with your brighter screens.

Mr. T says... "No Time for Dilly Dally"
:costumed-smiley-047

/j

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-03-2006, 11:34 PM
My .mov file was about 33MB and my .m2v was about 127MB....so either we are both within the right range, or we are both jacked up!! (no that wasn't a reference to you JDS :evil: :grin: )

your m2V sounds at leat 100mb to small

but don't worry about it now, you have ages to get that right

then I can whine at you for holding up the DVD
:nads:
http://www.smileys.ws/smls/laughing/00000006.gif

Edgen
06-03-2006, 11:38 PM
your m2V sounds at leat 100mb to small

Ut oh.. What about my .mpg file?
Actually, I tried exporting that file out like 4 times, and it kept fraking up on me, so the .mpg file setting was the only one that work. So.. I ran with it.

I'd still like to adjust the levels on some of the shots... Will we have and/or are we allowed to make last minute adjustments like that before the Final DVD? (if of course it gets included)

/j

Larry Rutledge
06-04-2006, 12:10 AM
your m2V sounds at leat 100mb to small Well, I don't know if I have a correct m2v file. I rendered the mpeg-2 files from Vegas like I always do for burning to dvd. I get a .mpg and .ac3 files (the .mpg is without audio and the .ac3 is the audio only). I renamed .mpg to .m2v is that not right?

When I burn it to a DVD and watch it on my TV it looks right....but what do I know?

Yea, yea, whatever http://www.nrestudios.com/images/smilies/emote_blahblah.gif

Jarred Land
06-04-2006, 12:57 AM
yeah thats cool i can convert it for you larry.

Brandon Rice
06-04-2006, 01:27 AM
PM me your titles!

Larry Rutledge
06-04-2006, 07:45 AM
yeah thats cool i can convert it for you larry.

Wait a minute...does that mean I didn't do it right?

david jerome
06-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Hey Jack Daniel Stanley,
How do you make your h.264 files look so good. I am looking at your web file of "SHED". I have the same data rate 112 kb and a 40mb file size at a smaller 480 x 270 (6 min). I used quicktime 7.1 to encode my final dv avi into h.264. My movie is not as good as "Shed" but not counting that, my h.264 file doesn't look near as good. Any secrets?

David

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Hmm .. I basically use the presets and keep my frame rate and uadio at full quality
ODD Squad that's on the web now:
H.264,
AAC, Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz
23.98 fps
file size is 46.65 MB
DATA RATE is 913.78 kbits/sec
duration of movie is 7:08.92
size of movie is 640 x 272 pixels

you can play with the data rate -- try to get as close to 960 or so as possible. I heard somewhere that that particular number was "good" ... from Disjecta I think, but that was probably with some version of Sorenson.

Theoritically a the highest DATA rate possible would be best, but again I hear 960, and as you can see 912 gave me a 46mb file with full framerate ad 640 pixels.

other than that I sometimes adjust the gamma for dark movies like Shed brightening by lowering the gamma number in compressor to .7, .8, or .9 to get something that works for darker screened PC's. The theory is if I don't hate it on my mac, I know I have brightened it some for PC's though I can never know what it looks like on everyone's screen.

So mostly I just use the presets in compressor, try to get the data rate close to 960, and brighten the gamma just a touch.

I'm convinced that good compression basically works by the "grass is always greener" Ergo, "the compression is allways better on the other guy's movie"
Other people's movies ALWAYS look better than your own. You see every bit of artifacting or weird compression and when you watch other people's stuff you forget about that and notice the lighting, and story, etc., and then think when its done "wow that was compressed really well"

Brandon Rice
06-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I kind of agree with that Jack... about the fact that the other guy's movie always looks WAY better (as far as compression) cause like I don't notice things as much, like you said.

david jerome
06-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks Jack. So where do you find that gamma adjustment? I don't see it on quicktime export or my premiere export.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-04-2006, 10:10 AM
well that's the problem with questions like this, I'm on a mac and I use "compressor" to make .movs

If your on a PC its kind of a mute point anyway, -- in fact you would want to go the other way ... you would look for some kind of gamma (or brightness) adjustment and make it a point or two darker for all the mac people, the idea being if you make it a little darker, and still like it, then you have a little better chance of it not looking washed out on a Mac.

So that setting is really not all that important, and kind of black magic in the sense that you are "guessing" what your video will look like on another system by screwing it up on yours. -- But the idea is if you are on a Mac, try tweaking it a little brighter - you might actually like it better and then you know you are set because a little darker (which is how it woudl play on a PC) has always been acceptable up until this experiment. If you are on a PC, then reverse the brights and darks in the above.

On a Mac you can set your monitor to PC gamma. Don't know if you can do the inverse on a PC but you could try that too.

But again all of this is stuff you COULD do, but there's a good chance that none of it will make a difference anyway.

If your video is not crazy dark or crazy washed out, then just worry about getting a good data rate for the file size you want.

sandesh
06-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Why Can't I see the location or the address of the Hero-fest. Can somebody please provide the address/directions. And please forgive me if this is the wrong forum/thread.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-04-2006, 10:24 AM
You mean to see the movies?

That thread will be up tomorrow or first thing tuesday.

This is the right forum.

Just check the Hero Fest subforum (where you are now)

There will be a new thread that will probably be a sticky announcing the link as up and open.

sandesh
06-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks Jack.
I think my post was confusing. I thought there is a physical location in NYC where the hero-fest films will be screened today. I thought I would go there to watch, as I am in NYC right now. I am a new to the forum so please tolerate my silly questions.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-04-2006, 10:48 AM
there is a New York DVXuser meeting today

they did discuss screening Herofest films, but I don't know if they ever got permission to do so (films are not supposed to be scene outside of the forum until the contest is over)

but none of thr New York filmmakers have uploaded their films yet ... so whether they got permission or not, there probably will be no Herofest films there.

People do however screen work there.

Check the Meetings subforum for that information
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=36