PDA

View Full Version : Hero-Fest submission formats

snodart
05-26-2006, 09:22 PM
I was searching to make sure of the correct format for Hero-Fest entries and only came up with "format will be announced" in the official rules post. I noticed that in the Sci-Fest, there was something about mailing a DVD version?

I know about the 24P part, but am curious about: .mov or .avi, the image size, a DVD version, file size limit, yada yada yada.

We will we working down to the last minute, so I just wanted to make sure we were prepared.

Thanks.

Mike McNeese
05-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Wondering the same...is there any reason NOT to use H.264? I did a multi-pass of my 5 minute movie at 800x450, 23.98, 'high' quality,' and it came in at 81.3MB.

Isn't the DVD version to be included on the actual Fest DVD?

snodart
05-29-2006, 04:15 PM
So I have done a few export tests with h.264. It compresses great, but kills the color, adds too much brightness, and losses contrast. Ouch. I tried a few with sorenson 3 as well. They look great, but I'm guessing that 200+ MB is going to be too big. Any suggestions from zombie/sci fest entrants?

I busted my arse building an adapter for and then shooting this thing. I just want it to look as good as possible of course. Any suggestions or help would be great. I'm using FCP 5.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-30-2006, 02:02 AM
last contest we submittes 300ish MB mpeg2's and Jarred did the web conversion.

contest before that we submitted 50mb or under .wmv or .mov

not sure what it'll be, but the upload window will be open for a few days so you could whip one out as soon as the format is announced, or you could spend a day getting the compression just right and then upload it

Not sure why they haven't said yet, but no need to sweat, you'll have time to figure it out and present it in the best possible light accordingly.

snodart
05-30-2006, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the info JDS. You have eased my nerves a bit.

by the way, I just noticed from browsing the sci-fest entries that you made ODD Squad. Nice work.

Beat Takeshi
05-30-2006, 06:07 AM
I think this time we are supposed to send a frame at a time.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-30-2006, 07:00 AM
I think this time we are supposed to send a frame at a time.
bwahahahah!
http://www.smileys.ws/smls/laughing/00000018.gif
LMFAO!!! :grin:
It's certainly felt that way in the past at times.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-30-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the info JDS. You have eased my nerves a bit.
yeah its preyy chill, if there was a misunderstanding about format and the work flow that created for you, Jarred would work with you a bit rather than slam the door in your face.

by the way, I just noticed from browsing the sci-fest entries that you made ODD Squad. Nice work.

Hah. Thanks :thumbsup:
Check out "Shed" on my website or in the Zombie winners thread.
It's my personal favorite of the two.
Who knows what this one will be like. I just sent the penultimate draft of the score back to the composer with notes and he's getting it back to me tomorrow. Also getting the final VFX and sweetened audio today and tomorrow.

I think I'm set, but I haven't seen my movie yet with all of the peices put together.

Jack

Aaron Marshall
05-30-2006, 08:33 AM
Check out "Shed" on my website or in the Zombie winners thread.
It's my personal favorite of the two.

Same here. Both were cool, but "Shed" was more atmospheric IMO.

A high quality wmv would be good for a submission format. It looks great and is a bit under 300mb's.

Shaun Patrick
05-30-2006, 08:39 AM
Shed is great but I loved the vibe of The ODD Squad--the one big fight sequence was a great Shaw Brothers/wuxia homage.

Untsikka
05-30-2006, 08:55 AM
They were both great, and they both had a good twist in the end.

Jarred Land
05-30-2006, 09:47 AM
submission will be both a mpeg 2 version, either single file or demuxed, and a H264 streaming version with a 40mb limit.

The exception is stuff entered with HVX, those are the same deliverables mpeg wise (SD) but you can submit a MOV H.264 in HD with a size limit of 150mb.

Larry Rutledge
05-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Cool, thanks for the info!! :thumbsup:

Quick question to you Vegas Video masters.....any recommendations on how to get a H264 streaming video from Vegas?