View Full Version : Torn Edges

Chris Messineo
05-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Is there an easy way to make it look like an image has torn/ragged edges? Almost as if it has been ripped out of a magazine.



Chris Messineo
05-17-2006, 11:58 AM
I found this, but the edge is too smooth, it doesn't look ripped enough.



05-17-2006, 12:00 PM
You need to create a matt image. Tear a piece of paper and scan it on a black background. Create an alpha channle, and key out the white in FCP (or whichever flavor editor you use). You can make a bunch of different shapes this way.

Jeff Patnaude

Aaron Marshall
05-18-2006, 12:34 AM

There's a set of plugins for photoshop called "Xenofex" that might do what you need.

I like Jeff's idea.

05-18-2006, 12:40 AM
I use Photoshop grunge brushes to do that. Do a web search and you'll find plenty for free, or create an account on Adobe Studio Exchange. Just grab a bunch in different sizes and play with them. I've done this effect many many times this way.

Matt Grunau
05-18-2006, 03:54 PM
You can use custom brushes in your Layer Mask to do it, or, you could scan a piece of ripped paper, or even take a photo of a ripped white sheet of paper against a black backgound, bring the photo into PS, invert it and use levels to get you black and white points, and then use it as an Alpha Channel in your Channel pallet.

05-22-2006, 04:50 PM
i agree with scanning ripped paper and using it as a layer mask.

also check out http://www.misprintedtype.com/v3/goodies.php
download the photoshop brushes and install them in: applications>adobe photoshop cs2 (or whatever version you have)>presets>brushes. then when you open photoshop just go to your brushes palette and click the arrow, and the brush sets should be in the drop down menu at the bottom, ready to load. what I did was make a new set of brushes consisting of only these new ones, then save that as "distressed brushes". now I don't have to load them all separately, just one nice set.

anyway, there are some brushes in there you could use very selectively to destroy your edge. these are really great for aging an image. there are some good tips on that website regarding the best way to use the brushes.

anyway, have fun.

05-22-2006, 04:51 PM
by the way, those instruction are based on a Mac, so if you're using a PC I hope it's the same.

J Michael
05-22-2006, 05:03 PM
I was looking for some info on old paper look in Fireworks. Should be lots of tutes on this e.g. http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/torn/torn.htm google 'photoshop torn paper' and use your image instead of the paper look created in the first few steps.

05-22-2006, 05:09 PM
by the way, those instruction are based on a Mac, so if you're using a PC I hope it's the same.

it is.

05-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Layer masks are always the way to go... that way you're not destroying your image. You can always go back with a layer mask.