PDA

View Full Version : Jarred visits Red HeadQuarters

Jarred Land
05-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Red currently is being run out of the Oakley Bunkers in Southern California, and everytime I visit I am impressed by the movement the team has made in the development of Red One.

Even though Red is being run as a separate company, Jim is leveraging the incredible talent and resources at Oakley to accelerate the progression of RED. This time I brought along the camera to show you guys a small peek inside.

Anyone who still thinks Red is just an idea in Jim's head and nothing more than a pipe dream, trust me, it's time to wake up.

Click Here to View the Photos (http://dvxuser.com/redvisit/pages/picture_000.html)

http://dvxuser.com/redvisit/images/picture_000.jpg

imgentertainment@mac
05-17-2006, 01:02 AM
Very Cool Jarred, Man that place is cool. I can't wait to go take a tour.

Jarred Land
05-17-2006, 01:13 AM
Very Cool Jarred, Man that place is cool. I can't wait to go take a tour.
I recommend it... Its definately incredible.

krestofre
05-17-2006, 05:00 AM
I think I've seen most of that stuff before ... in the X-Men movies. :shocked:

Thanks for the pics Jarred.

vidled
05-17-2006, 05:17 AM
WOW! That place is INSANE!!
Many thanks for the pics!

Chris Messineo
05-17-2006, 05:44 AM
Cool tour. That place should be a movie set!

Chris

Jarred Land
05-17-2006, 08:32 AM
and you guys are only seeing what I was allowed to show you... :)

Slimothy
05-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Wow. That is crazy. He reminds me of a big kid w/ a genius mind and lots of money.

Jaime Valles
05-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Love the torpedo in the lobby :eek:

evexon
05-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Nice pad. When I saw the first photo I thought the building was a 3D composite. :)

Elvis
05-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Hey Jarred where are they located? Great pics!

caseyhayward
05-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Cool tour. That place should be a movie set!

Chris

Actually it is. I worked on a feature there ("Impostor" with Gary Sinise) and I'm sure that's not the only one that's used Oakley HQ as a location.

I'm a little bummed, I don't think these pictures proved that red is "not just an idea in Jim's head." They pretty much proved that Oakley has cool facilities for making sunglasses. :(

Not trying to rain on the parade, I think you just got my hopes up a little with the intro.

Slimothy
05-17-2006, 11:48 AM
As mentioned above:

These are the pics he's "allowed" to show us.

It'd be pretty stupid for RED to open up so much that the competitors know exactly what and how they are doing things, dontcha think?

Zack Birlew
05-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Holy (insert four-lettered word here)....!

menchifus
05-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Holy guacamole, Batman!!!!

Okay, here's my 3 cents. Great workspace. How can you not come up with cool ideas in an office like that???

Here's the 4th cent: Jarred, you're a really good photographer. I'm sure having great subjects helps tremendously, but your composition is remarkable. Interesting angles.

Does Oakley allow visitors inside?

D_and_G
05-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Very cool place.

I think Jared's just showing a few picks for those who think the guy is doing the camera in his garage. And for some of us anticipators who are going to need a little info. low this long 8 month wait... :)

Obviously, this isn't a scientific look at RED's development (and anyway the CCD is being spec'd elsewhere). Just a peek at the playing field.

Hopefully this will squash the "guy doesn't have the resources to do it" comments. Although RED is separate from Oakley, it helps to see where an inventors first dream was realized, and the birthplace for the inspiration and development of the next :beer:

Cheers.

PS - Did you kick some major butt on that basketball court Jared ? Or is your height just for show :grin:

Mr. Blonde
05-17-2006, 03:18 PM
I can totally see the exclusive RED footage screening for the early adopters being held in the Oakley theater! PLEASE!! :kali:

tonacidigital
05-17-2006, 03:46 PM
I can totally see the exclusive RED footage screening for the early adopters being held in the Oakley theater! PLEASE!! :kali:

hell yeah. my thoughts exactly.

Jarred Land
05-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Yeah.. its an incredible theater and it can seat at least 400 people... so it is the perfect venue.

Larry Rutledge
05-17-2006, 05:08 PM
I still think that building would have been an awesome location to use for the "superhero's lair" in this upcoming HeroFest.

Cool pics Jarred, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Peace,
Larry

NoahK
05-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Suggestion: RedQuarters

To be said with pinky aimed at mouth of course (or hand stroking red kitty.)

Noah

Elvis
05-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Noah "RedQuarters" Too funny. So where is this place?

Elvis
05-17-2006, 06:33 PM
So who is apos?

Jarred Land
05-17-2006, 06:45 PM
brilliant Noah :)

Anthem78
05-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Great tour. Thanks for the pics.

Isaac_Brody
05-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Sweet. The outside looks like rebel alliance headquarters. :)

danny d
05-17-2006, 09:23 PM
hey jarred,
you should have stopped over at my place I live down the street. We could have played soccer on the basket-ball court.

I can't believe the actually are skeptics who think red cant be built. two years ago at cinegear expo the was a home made hand cranked cmos HD cam. the kinetta

joelnet
05-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Jannard IS Batman. I knew it.

insanityfw
05-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks, that was a really cool tour.

Slimothy
05-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Jannard IS Batman. I knew it.
LMAO! Funny stuff.

Mr. Blonde
05-18-2006, 02:21 AM
The RedQuarters look like the inside of a Doom or Quake map, love the gothic-cyborg architecture, can't wait to see a screening in there Jim! Wink Wink.:Drogar-Love(DBG):

KCFilms
05-18-2006, 09:24 AM
I was thinking the interior had a sort of Tyrell Corporation feeling. Meet any humanoid replicants? But then again it might not be easy to tell.

Jarred Land
05-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Meet any humanoid replicants? But then again it might not be easy to tell.

Ha ha.. it was actually very cool how random Oakley employees would come up to me and Jim and ask about the Red project.. Its great to see the passion and the excitement trickle outside the box.

Brandon Rice
05-19-2006, 11:01 AM
WHOA what a place... cool pics man!

Jarred Land
05-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Yeah.. very cool place. Is great to walk away from their with confidence in what they are doing.. the tools and talent along with the facility they have make the window of development they gave themselves seem so much more generous.

Jarred Land
05-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Here's the 4th cent: Jarred, you're a really good photographer. I'm sure having great subjects helps tremendously, but your composition is remarkable. Interesting angles.

Does Oakley allow visitors inside?

very nice words, thanks man.

Elvis
05-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Jarred where are they located?

Simon Wyndham
05-21-2006, 07:30 AM
I knew something was up when the only known photos of Jim are of his hand stroking a white cat ;)

mike the beginner
05-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Wow what a futuristic company Oakley clearly is and very succesfull too. Ok so this is not Red it is Oakley but.......the man behind this company is now behind Red.....

So far Red has gathered up what appears to be a massive amount of info from all you guys and used it to come up with the red one camera and other items to add to it, Both camera and all the other attachments are being diligently analysed and worked out with great detail and careful thought.

We have had "marketing" of the red prior to and throughout NAB that looks every bit as clever as Panasonic and sony. That is impressive for any "new start up company" to have achieved!

They stole the thunder from "all others" and did it with such grace and style.

Now their next stage is to get you guys some footage which will be shown at the next big event....so clever. The build up to another break through for red!

My bet is that these photos will please the majority and start another wave of excitement and orders for Red. Why? well i just dont see them showing any photos at all if they are not good enough to impress you.

We are being teased to death with all the wonderful things this camera is likely to have but it is all being done with such skill and dedication. They seem to have a team that are as excited as the founder and that makes for something very very special indeed.

If this camera turns out as BIG as some of us expect will Jarrad be altering the name of his site .....slightly DVX/REDuser.com Just wondered:)

baro
05-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Jarred where are they located?

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=33.672127~-117.647093&style=o&lvl=2&scene=2167553

Jarred Land
05-22-2006, 11:11 AM
love it baro, love it :)

DeBranne
05-23-2006, 12:26 AM
...and this is just a taste!!! The place is actually a MILLION times more amazing than these photo's! Reminds me of the Louvre in Paris, completely overwhelming. And i am a very intense person, able to assimilate a LOT of art at a time. But not the Louvre.. and definitely not Oakley. I actually had to go into a shut off mode in my mind, because it's just waaaaaay to much to absorb! I HIGHLY recommend it! OAKLEY RULES!!!! Jim, you RULE!:)

blckhawk542
05-23-2006, 04:19 PM
omg..that place is insanneee!!!
that front entrance is badass. and that theater..400 people :crybaby: amazing!!

They should host some kind of film festival or something in that place. :)

Lil_Red
05-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Lil Red wants to work for Red. I can make copies or coffee. I live like blocks away. Don't suppose any of you guys could put in a good word for me.

Jarred Land
05-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Lil Red hosted the first DVXuser party at NAB way back when.. she makes good coffee. And she been advertising red since 2003.

TheatreGuy
05-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Why, WHY did I stumble through the doors of this forum??? As if I didn't spend enough time on DVXuser... now I find a NEW place to visit! (I should never have opened up that red door!)

I thoroughly enjoyed the photo-journey! Captions were great, too. Thanks for sharing! What an amazing facility.

BTW, I hope that there is not a meter on how much time I spend in DVXuser... my wife will use it against me if she EVER finds out! I am supposed to be a self-employed independent contractor... not an internet junkie!

Jarred Land
05-26-2006, 10:23 AM
my wife will use it against me if she EVER finds out!

dont worry DVXUser members get great discounts at www.FTD.com and www.jared.com

TheatreGuy
05-26-2006, 10:30 AM
That's great! I may need to take you up on that (if I get caught! But that isn't likely.)

You've got a great thing going here. I LOVE this site. There is so much great information. Perfect for a new user like me.

Didn't mean to shift attention of this thread, but since I have the big cheese on the line, I thought that I would share!

Just need to get a DVXUser t-shirt and I'll be all official!

Jarred Land
05-26-2006, 10:36 AM
ha ha No worries TheatreGuy. Since you asked for it, I think you might get the first official DVXuser RED tshirt.

TheatreGuy
05-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Sweeeeeeeeet! I wear a L/XL!

matwpc
06-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Nope! not X Men,
I think it was the Chronicles of Riddick
Cool!

Jarred Land
06-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Xmen is filmed in my home town of Vancouver, BC, so wasnt them.

joemiked
06-14-2006, 10:24 AM
oakley sunglasess?
the sport suplier? makes cameras now?
mike d

www.mikedvideo.com

ESTEBEVERDE
06-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Yeah!

What would an wildly talented and successful global optics company know about optics!?!?!?!?

;-)

xfoo
06-19-2006, 06:30 AM
lol i cant wait to see there next step after the red camera.. i have a feeling they will some how find a way to pack a camera into a pair of sunglasses just like they did with the thumps... (and thump 2's)

xfoo
06-19-2006, 06:33 AM
OAKLEY CAM JACKETS coming this fall....

steviestefan
06-27-2006, 04:38 AM
Those Pics are real great, I think it should just be a matter of visit, some of us here have really benefited sincerely, that visit was important, Thanks Jarred Keep up.

steviestefan
06-27-2006, 04:43 AM
Then comes the optics manufacturer, I think its a bad idea despising them, we'd better welcome the new players in the industry, being an independent filmmaker, I see some real genius in them, besides, they might get us some real good lenses out of their good optical background!

ESTEBEVERDE
06-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Exactly! and there is Silicon Imaging as well!

Bruce Morgan
06-28-2006, 08:30 PM
A flair for the dramatic in architecture is always a good sign .
Jarred,
Is there any idea that this "force" behind the RED CAMERA is interested in delivering a product at an affordable level model ?Such as what we had with the dvx?
I have heard a projected list for this item which puts it in the realm of only studio budget camera catagory.
Forgive me if this has been covered .
I am joining the red camera discussion very late in the game .
Cheers
Bruce

Jarred Land
06-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Bruce that is a good question.. but right now all i know is the RED one. The DVX holds its own in the SD arena and is pretty much dare i say as close to perfect as need be.. RED is going after the less than perfect HD market right now.

Bruce Morgan
06-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks Jarred .
i did a search and it looks like the main man behind red has posted on this site his own goals and the paraphrase ..If we could only sell to 1 percent of the people on this site ..it would not be his wishes
sounds hopefull.
The reason I ask it that I have known several millionare software guys and after all the money is counted ..a lot of these guys have a very humanistic view and want to get the "Technology to the People".
One gentleman I was honored to meet MARTIN HASH has a spline based animation software with all the plug ins -
on one disc .
He made it clear that he really wanted to get a software application to a solo animator who just wants to tell a story .

I take great hope in this view .
And I certainly hope we are dealing with another such individual here .

Our right to free speech will soon be intrinsically tied up with our right to
tell a story or report through high quality transmissable images .
I get the feeling we are in fact dealing with such an inventor here.

A sort of latter day CAPTAIN NEMO.
-Look at the torpedo!!! and look at all the Jules Verne type ethos in the lobby !!!!.
This "force or" this guy may have something big for the independent fimmaker and film journalist!!

Well I think I have just decided to sell 3/4 of my 35mm inventory .
(calming down)
Regards
Bruce

Jarred Land
06-28-2006, 08:54 PM
I think you will find Jim to be very similar to the type of guy you are describing.. I mean I only needed to meet him once to give him DVXUser's full support.... he and his ideas are that impressive.

Bruce Morgan
06-28-2006, 08:58 PM
That is great!!!!
we are on the right road if he suceeds ....
and I am going to start a saving for this type of camera ..
Hail Red Camera
Salus et Vita (ancient latin for health and life )

matwpc
08-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Jarred do you work with or for this company?
Matt Williams

Mikungfu
09-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Nice pad. When I saw the first photo I thought the building was a 3D composite. :)

I thought that in almost all of the photos...

matwpc
09-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the look inside. What Camera did you use for the shots?

El Gato Negro
10-08-2006, 08:34 PM
at times I wish I was an engineer. imagine what you can do if you were allowed to record a feature in there? that would be tight! Still gonna shot on 35mm but I can respect a man who has that much passion and innovation.

Jannard
10-12-2006, 11:45 PM
We have allowed Jarred to have an "inside view" so that all of you could hear what's going on from someone you trust and respect. It is in keeping with opening up our development program through the process. If we told you... it doesn't carry the same credibility as if "one of you" tells the story.

Jarred has been terrific when he is at the RED offices. He helps out a ton and is respectful of the "secret stuff". He has earned an unusual place in this saga.

Jim

zakforrest
10-13-2006, 02:47 AM
why isnt there a link to these boards on red.com?
--
i saw a sneak screening of David Fincher's ZODIAC a few hours ago. i thought it was amazing. seriously the best. but- the movie aside, i thought it looked really really amazing. the whole time i was watching it i kept thinking how red is gonna be even better than this... it was so awesome to watch something shot digitally that was shot WELL, and treated well in post (superman returns was not the greatest example of what you could do with a digital cinema camera and neither was miami vice, the viper parts at least, for my tastes)

something like more than half of ZODIAC was shot with no lights at all. in some interview with david fincher http://digitalcontentproducer.com/podcasts/MGFincherzodiac.mp3 believe he talks about how the majority of the shoot they didnt do anything at all, just natty light and practicals, he said sometimes it seemed too dark to his eye, but then they looked at the monitor and it was exposed just fine. i remember somewhere on these boards at one point it was said, possibly by graeme, i forget though, that red will perform better than the viper in low light. anyways it looked AMAZING and i think it was projected in DLP from a DVCPROHD master, so its only gonna get better... color correction seemed minimal and some effects were missing. some of the really dark stuff was a TAD noisy, not even worth mentioning. i dont know how red will perform in that respect, but i am assuming (?) it will be better than viper in the noise factor as well. does anyone know the asa of the viper? maybe comparing viper ASA vs red ASA doesnt make sense anyway since they are so different but whatever. the point is, for me, seeing ZODIAC on the big screen was the first time i saw something shot digitally that i thought really looked great, the way i would want RED to be.. TRULY INSPIRING experience in the theater (several...

maybe theres other flicks im not aware of, but i cant think of a better example than Zodiac if you want to get a feel for how RED might be. zodiac is shot in natural light! its like seeing red test footage almost.. guessi shouldnt be too excited though cuz it wont come out for a long time... but if anyone knows some other movies that would be good to watch and THINK about red while watching, lets HEAR IT.

----->> ANY hoo- > VIPER / R E D < any thoughts? ASA/noise/blabla

(the fincher mp3 is really awesome, highly recommended to all dvxusers =p he talks about the viper and the workflow and all this really great information i havent heard anywhere else

Beat Takeshi
11-03-2006, 04:43 PM
*sigh* I wish I had an "inside view". Does it mean anything if I told you I have been buying Oakleys for years? They are the only glasses that don't pinch off my breathing. :) Its true.

D. Sweetman
11-04-2006, 01:02 AM
maybe theres other flicks im not aware of, but i cant think of a better example than Zodiac if you want to get a feel for how RED might be. zodiac is shot in natural light! its like seeing red test footage almost.. guessi shouldnt be too excited though cuz it wont come out for a long time... but if anyone knows some other movies that would be good to watch and THINK about red while watching, lets HEAR IT.
That makes no sense, it's like watching a film shot on 5218 and musing how cool it would be if it was shot on 5229. But if you want to know what 29 is really like, you have to look at 29. And if you wanted to shoot 29 before it was on the market, you wouldn't babble around wondering how cool it would be once it was out, you'd be out there shooting films on 18.

firewallet
11-04-2006, 01:23 AM
you wouldn't babble around wondering how cool it would be once it was out, you'd be out there shooting films on 18.David your a student, I understand what you mean but please be nice. You might be amazed who reads here and who hires. Educate, don't denigrate.

Oh yeah, David, welcome to the forum and please remember the RED is another tool that many Professionals here wish to add to their kit. Please take the time and read Steve Gibby's posts. He is a Professional that embodies the ethos of the multi-format, multi-genre dp who finds tremendous value in constantly striving to meet his clients needs and budgets over a slew of formats and techniques.

Cheers David,

D. Sweetman
11-04-2006, 01:40 AM
Right, I think you may have read read malice into my post where none was intended, it should be read in a subdued jovial manner. I'm just saying you can't eat a pear and consider it's taste a preview of next havest's banana.

zakforrest
11-04-2006, 01:45 AM
That makes no sense, it's like watching a film shot on 5218 and musing how cool it would be if it was shot on 5229. But if you want to know what 29 is really like, you have to look at 29. And if you wanted to shoot 29 before it was on the market, you wouldn't babble around wondering how cool it would be once it was out, you'd be out there shooting films on 18.

NO sense? come on now...

all i was saying is that zodiac is NOT LIT, for the most part, and its a digital movie, and the viper has AWESOME dynamic range. and as a reservation holder planning to shoot a feature in natural light, it was GREAT to watch zodiac and THINK about other stuff

firewallet
11-04-2006, 01:54 AM
Right, I think you may have read read malice into my post where none was intended, it should be read in a subdued jovial manner.

Right, sure- all in the sub-text- I missed it- no worries. But I like the obtuse follow-up.

alacritymedia
11-06-2006, 03:35 PM
A camera that can make pretty pictures with limited light is of value for more than just docs or available light shoots. I love painting with light, I might even call it a fetish - but, I don't much care for big grip and electric packages, consuming 100amps or more of power and trying to dance C-stands around smaller location spaces. There are 2 issues that I am looking for the RedOne to mitigate: 1) Enough dynamic range that I can shoot exteriors without 12' by 12' butterflys and the like, just be smart about the orientation of the camera, subject, sun and you're there 2) Being able to light interiors with some single tube Kinos, small tungsten sources like 150W & 300W instruments and get great results off one 20 amp circuit - no genny! Small focused crews who can get lots of set-ups fast and not create a distracting circus for the actors or more critically, doc subjects and in narrative work real people plugged into minor roles for authenticity (and to cut costs). There is a happy middle ground between Dogma 95 and travelling with your own private army. I am looking at the RedOne as a tool that can give me a chance to make compelling images at planet friendly wattages.

Blair S. Paulsen
RedOne #19