PDA

View Full Version : Time's a Ticking.. Time to start wrappin' n' Lockin'.

Edgen
05-13-2006, 02:42 AM
Hey guys.. I just wanted to put out a 'general' call for all of you participating in the film fest. It's half way through the month and it's probably a good time to get your locked timecode wrapped. At least have your rough footage shipped to your composer so that he/she can start the music process.

Some musicians maybe pretty quick at scoring films and one will be cake. and others... (like myself) have agreed to a few of the entries so the sooner you can get us material the less time we are rushed to finish by the deadline of May 30th.

If anything, you can continually feed them updated reels as VFX footage is set in place.

But, Alas... If for some reason you fall behind, you guys are more than welcome to sift through my tunes and if something fits, feel free to use it.

all the best and good luck!

(and ya.. back me up composers, cause if a director/producer came to me 3 days before the deadline and said, hey man.. here's my film, make me an award winning score, I'd say.. sure buddy. Ok. Yup. Coming right up... you Like Piano? Cause that's what you are going to get. Perhaps a few lush string pads that have absolutely no logic or reason to underscore 90% of the film)

looking forward to seeing the finished films!
pitty the fool. :costumed-smiley-047
/j

Aaron Marshall
05-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Dude, if you can't do an award winning score in 3 days or less you need to find another vocation. Kidding :grin: The earlier you can get your film to the composers the better they can reflect and find the film's voice. Though, a great score in 3 days isn't impossible, especially for a 5 minute film.

I finished the score on my hero film up last night. I'm proud of it. After my head clears, I've got some mastering to do.

Norm Sanders
05-15-2006, 12:19 AM
Yep, I'm desperately trying to get this locked edit completed tonight ... especially because I still have to pull a 5 minute cut out of it, then have it and the 20+ minute version to our composer before I leave for Aruba tomorrow. The toughest part will be NOT thinking about this film during the time away, that's supposed to be vacation.

Texture
05-18-2006, 10:32 AM
I imagine some of your composers are working day jobs as well as cramming in the time to get your scores in... So for sure, give them the time they need to realize your works full potential.

Mike McNeese
05-18-2006, 11:47 AM
I had two guys come to my house to compose for our movie...it took them about 35 hours of work from the time they first saw the rough cut, to the time that we loaded the score into FCP. I stayed about two hours ahead of them in doing some final trimming, so they had locked TC on the portion that they were scoring for. Composers are HARD WORKERS, be nice!!!

WilderWorks
05-22-2006, 12:19 PM
We've been working with our composer through the entire editing process. Sometimes, a great track changes the edit, and sometimes the edit changes the track. It's been a great experience to let there be some back and forth between the editing process and the music composition, instead of getting stuck with the regimented lock-then-compose Hollywood process.

Edgen
05-22-2006, 12:48 PM
The reason for locking a picture is so that one doesn't waste valuable time scoring a specific moment of a film and then have it nixed a few days later costing a studio thousands of dollars in copies and the $70+ hour for each player within an orchestra. Times that by 80 people plus the hours it takes to record, plus engineer costs and mixing. :) That's not hollywood. That's with any live project.

but, being that this is a small time production i dig the fact that you can come back and re-edit a scene. but... if you edit too much, it can get extremely frustrating. Then, once the music is set in place and if there needs to be edits in the film, you can go back and adjust those accordingly.

I suppose we all work differently :)

/justin

Aaron Marshall
05-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Yeah 95% of your filmmakers would definitely need a locked edit before scoring proceeded. A radical dude like Robert Rodriguez who shoots, scores, and edits his own could do about anything he felt like.

Edgen
05-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Noct... You ARE a radical.

/j