PDA

View Full Version : Canon XLH1 Workflow

NorthernFilmMaker
05-11-2006, 05:42 PM
I would like to know, which NLE is the best for editing HDV footage from the XLH1. I've been reading these posts and find that there are some people having difficulties using Premiere Pro. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

RWSwanson
09-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Get a Mac. Get Final Cut Pro.

Barry_Green
09-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Wouldn't work, Mac/FCP doesn't natively support 1080/24F.

The only editor that Iknow of that handles it properly is EDIUS Broadcast. I think Vegas probably can too.

Elton
09-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Until FCP 6, try this: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?p=492340&postcount=7

The advantage of FCP is the wide range of intermediate codecs available within FCP/QT. You can also get a Blackmagic/AJA HD card and take advantage of the SDI option in a number of ways too.

Premiere Pro with Aspect HD from CineForm does a great job with 24F too.

RWSwanson
09-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Wouldn't work, Mac/FCP doesn't natively support 1080/24F.

The only editor that Iknow of that handles it properly is EDIUS Broadcast. I think Vegas probably can too.

Weird. I was at NAB '06 and at the APPLE FCP booth, they were running footage from an XL H1 on Final Cut, with the camera hooked up to a Power Mac G5. The footage that was running was of ariel shots. I remember it vividly because Apple had a sign next to the set up reading "1080i/24p" and I had to talk to the rep about the error in "p" for "f". His responce something like, "Look at it, there's no interlacing here..."f" is just as good as progressive."

Barry_Green
09-18-2006, 10:23 PM
They've now announced that it's coming. At the time I posted that they hadn't announced it at all. They'd shown some technology demonstration but had not implemented nor committed to implementing any support for 1080/24f or HDV 24p.

But now they have, they say in version 5.1.2 it'll be there.

Kevin Dorsey
09-19-2006, 01:03 AM
I'm running Premiere Pro, and I've downloaded a ton of the original .m2t files from Disjecta and others, and Premiere has handled them without a hitch. Although the render times for color correction and grading are significantly longer than SD. But I can't speak for direct capture from the camera, or export, as Premiere doesn't offer export to tape, and I don't have a Canon to export to. Damn my empty wallet.
-Kevin