PDA

View Full Version : How come no one ever talks about the nNovia DV-HDD (Firestore-like "DTE") units?

Ralph Oshiro
05-03-2006, 09:51 AM
There is so much awareness of the Firestore family of products, I suppose since they make JVC HD100- and Panasonic HVX200-specific products. But I'm looking at my B+H NAB2006 Show Specials catalog, and there are these nNovia HDV/DV hard disk recorder products that look pretty neat. I just bought a Sony DSR450, so I would opt for the Sony V-mount version of these dockable HDD recorders like the one shown on the link below. They also make Anton Bauer Gold Mount versions.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=385893&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Dino
05-24-2006, 04:25 PM
I just ordered that exact unit yesterday for my DSR-450WS. I guess great minds think alike. ;) They have a new product coming in three weeks called the QC Deck that has a similar form factor but with Hitachi removable drive cartridge. The cost of the drive is pretty low compared to the Firestore drives, something around $300 for 100GB drive vs. around $800 for Firestore 80GB drive and the cost of the QC Deck is less than the Firestore FS-3.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
www.ssv.com

bherr
05-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Can it record the HVX's 4:2:2 and support DVCPRO-HD? The specs say DV-NTSC, 25M/Sec, 8-bit 4:1:1, so it looks like it makes a nice recorder for DV but not HD a la the HVX. I'd love to find out otherwise.

Dino
05-24-2006, 05:51 PM
That's correct. The new product, QC Deck will record DV 25 or HDV, but no DVC Pro 50 or DVC Pro 100. For the HVX 200, the Firestore FS-100 would be the best solution. QC Deck would be a good solution for HDV camcorders.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
www.ssv.com

Dino
05-29-2006, 06:48 AM
I changed my order to the 80GB model, instead of the 40GB, doubling record time to six hours from three(there is also a 100GB model). The nNovia Quick Capture arrived Friday and I've done tests with both my DSR-500WS and DSR-450WS. It also came with a coupon to allow the unit to be upgraded
with HDV codec option.

The unit mounts between the camera and battery, the nNovia and a 95ah Li-Ion battery weigh about the same as an Anton/Bauer Pro-Pac 14(brick).

The 500 does not allow playback from the nNovia into the viewfinder
or monitor out as the Firewire connection is one-way. The 450(and 370, 390, 400, 570) does allow playback in the viewfinder, color LCD display and monitor out, but I have to first eject the DVCAM tape to do so, if doing a double record.

I did test records with the 450 at 4:3 60I, 16:9 24P and 30P.

The nNovia follows the camera record trigger and duplicated the timecode, can
record files in .avi and .mov on a bin by bin basis. It has a 99 bin capability, and each start/stop of a recording is a clip within each bin. I think the total time for a bin is 11 minutes.

I then captured the output into Final Cut Pro and the nNovia was totally controllable from Final Cut as a Firewire drive. With .mov files, info like time code, scan rate and whether the recording was anamorphic was shown.

My impressions of this device are positive, it offers the piece of mind of double
recording, playback with the 450 is faster and easier than using the tape transport(except for having to eject the tape). Capture time is greatly reduced,
and the work flow is more efficient than tape.

In short, the nNovia can be used with any brand DV 25 NTSC or PAL camcorder with Firewire out and offers many of the workflow features of XDCAM, while still providing the option to also record on tape. The Firestore FS-3 with 80GB drive
would have cost a lot more money and is physically larger, with the only advantage being a removable drive. nNovia will offer this with their new QC Deck in a few weeks.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
www.ssv.com