PDA

View Full Version : May Status Report Thread

Aaron Marshall
05-01-2006, 12:09 PM
BOOM!

All special effects are finished. The edit is locked and I'm right on schedule. Everything visual is completed.

May is the month of music and sound design.

Brandon Rice
05-01-2006, 12:19 PM
NICE! You started this one before I had a chance to... way to be on it!

Larry Rutledge
05-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Well, my 1st AD had to drop out because my revised shooting schedule didn't fit his existing work schedule. Had a 2nd AD, though, so he just moved up a step. Found a great principle location. Have already had some graphic design and 3D work completed.

Script breakdown is almost done. Storyboards, shot lists, and schedules will be completed this week. Visual FX tests completed...successfully. Sound FX initial planning completed, now being revised based on new location.

Still photographer selected, BTS doc videographer being talked to. Remaining cast/crew set with revised shooting date.

Rehearsal scheduled. Post Audio scheduled. Composer scheduled. Requested time off work to complete initial locked edit as quick as possible for Audio and Composing (because of the compressed post cycle).

So, we've had a few set backs, but we are pressing through and well on our way.

Mike McNeese
05-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Half done with shooting. Getting nervous.

Beat Takeshi
05-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Got one scene done. Got one of the effects shot mostly done. Just have to replace the dummy footage with the green screen. Have a big greenscreen shooting day this sat and a regular shooting day sunday. The spot i was going to use for green screen happened to have a fashion show all week til sunday so I remembered that I have a big ass storage room. Im going this week to turn it into a green screen room :)
Shooting last scenes the following weekend. I think im going to have an extended version for the DVD this time if i can finish this in time.
The people Im working with want to make this a longer story anyway. So this may continue way after the contest ends.

Brandon Rice
05-02-2006, 10:32 AM
stuff is happening. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

CineMark
05-02-2006, 12:50 PM
I agree with mjmcneese — getting nervous.

Last night (May 1st) we shot from 8pm - 1am. Wrapped up most of our shots. We only have 3 shots left, which should be done by this weekend. We've been doing a rough edit as we go to make sure we're within our timeframe.

It's looking good, but we can't help but to be nervous.

The rest of the month we'll be cranking on a couple of FX shots, the edit and the score.

Norm Sanders
05-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Took a day or so off after our last day of filming ... basically just crashed & needed to recover ... oh, and finish up a couple of other projects before I get neck deep into this one. Uploading the remainder of the footage tonight, and begin to start chopping it all together.

That said, when I uploaded our footage for PANDORA, our Sci-Fest entry, I was pretty disappointed ... basically thought it blew, and was able to improve it as time went on. This footage in comparison, I'm excited about, and have already had some of the shots turn out as good if not better than I could have hoped for. That, and the fact that the story/script is 10x better than the last (since I didn't write this one, therefore unable to poison it with my inept writing) ... well, it's pretty exciting.

i_&_t
05-02-2006, 07:34 PM
we shot thursday, friday, saturday, and sunday nights. also shooting this coming weekend. we are really pleased with what we have so far. our actors and crew have been fantastic and reliable (helps to be working with friends). have a lot of the score completed, all our sfx shots are planned, and we are freakin' excited!:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Kevin Lee
05-03-2006, 08:21 AM
well, we filmed most of the shots on saturday... the DP took the tape and rough cut what we had. And well.... the writer calls me up to say its horrible and nothing like what he pictured. So here we are last minute trying to storyboard it out, scout a different location... this is a major problem. I personally feel we will not be done in time.

:furious3: :( :furious3: :crybaby:

Beat Takeshi
05-03-2006, 08:40 AM
yeah story boards are crucial when the writer is someone else other than you. I put my story boards together using pictures put together in photoshop. I would show an example but the only one I have online is my herofest one.

MsManhattan
05-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Storyboards really helped Aram and I construct a detailed shot list -- don't confuse the two, as stryboards will guide you through making a shot list but shouldn't substitute for it. They'll show you what you want to achieve in the end product, but you really have to do a script analysis and storboard analysis to figure out how many set-ups you'll need, where to put the camera, etc.

Having a detailed shot list -- in writing, not just in your head -- will not only ensure that you get everything you need for your final edit, they also are a big help to your cast and crew. The cast doesn't necessarily need to see the shot list, but having it will help you run through the set-ups and shots much more efficiently and quickly, which both your cast and crew will appreciate.

As a producer, this has been my busiest contest so far, producing for French Quarter Features' entry as well as Puffin Films', and I have learned A LOT. Looking forward to a break when it's all over and to seeing everyone's entry!

WilderWorks
05-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Today, figuring out how to best mail fake bombs through the US Postal system. My answer, I hope, will suffice: two different boxes. Anyway, it seems like a better idea than trying to put them in my luggage for a cross country flight...

Aaron Marshall
05-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Today, figuring out how to best mail fake bombs through the US Postal system. My answer, I hope, will suffice: two different boxes. Anyway, it seems like a better idea than trying to put them in my luggage for a cross country flight...

Oh man! You'd better be careful. If they X-Ray that they'll flip out. They'll probably send agents out to your house.

They'll say, "Sir, what are the contents of this package"

and you say, "Oh it's just a fake bomb"

"fake bomb eh? That's what they all say!" hahaha

Kholi
05-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Oh man! You'd better be careful. If they X-Ray that they'll flip out. They'll probably send agents out to your house.

They'll say, "Sir, what are the contents of this package"

and you say, "Oh it's just a fake bomb"

"fake bomb eh? That's what they all say!" hahaha

LMFAO.

Dude, that sounds like that belongs in MANIAC MANSION ( the nes game ) as a cut scene.

That's the first thing I imagined.

Weird.

JwrFord
05-03-2006, 05:16 PM
We are extremely behind schedule and under budget. Learning ALOT about working with people that I thought I already had a slight grasp on. Learning alot about locations organization and delegating tasks. Sigh.... I hope we are done in time....

WilderWorks
05-03-2006, 05:16 PM
That's why I made sure my name was no where on it, and had my roommate mail the boxes. :)

Beat Takeshi
05-03-2006, 05:48 PM
thats not cool. I would stab my friend in the neck if he did that to me.

Kholi
05-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah. Totally uncool, y0.

ChainSmoker
05-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Well back to the topic at hand, I to have to jump on the nerve ship. We finally came to an agreement on what the film will be about last night and start casting this weekend. Nothing like waiting to the last minute!

Rich

CineMark
05-03-2006, 09:34 PM
we have had a lull in shooting. day job got in the way. we have to more scenes to shoot, and one is dependent on the other.

we have a rough edit put together, and those 5 minutes are going ny fast.

anyway, we'll be shooting tomorrow and friday hopefully. so more updates to come.

arielman
05-05-2006, 11:00 AM
It's not good for us . My main actor informed me at work , his sister has fallen ill and might pass away ...so he's off to Toronto to with her .
He felt bad about bowing out and leaving me in a jam ..hey that's OK being with your sister is way more important .
This means a re-write and another actor to fill in .
2 of my props are still a no show , even though they were mailed 3 weeks ago .

This will be my last attempt at doing these shorts and on the bright side , my 2 sons want a try at one . It's all yours I said .
Ian

Larry Rutledge
05-05-2006, 03:51 PM
A minor setback...my PA just informed me they can't make the new shooting date due to their sister's graduation from college. Can you believe that, they are putting family first, before me and my soon to be grand-prize winning short film?!? :evil:

Beat Takeshi
05-05-2006, 05:01 PM
I just finished setting up my "green room" for the shoot tomorrow. My original spot got cancelled because of a fashion show in the space that the owner forgot about. I had to think quick and move a bunch of crap in the storage space I have and make half of it a green screen area. Its actually kind of cool looking though and I think it will be fine. The 30 yards of green fabric I bought may be a little too dark.

Texture
05-06-2006, 04:20 PM
I can't believe the obsticals you guys overcome...

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Along the overcoming obstacles topic...

I have to sing Aram and Leslie's praises breifly.

On the first day of my shoot we were shooting on a rooftop in Manhattan.

Just about everything that could go wrong did. Due to traffic issues several key players were over an hour late and about an hour and 1/2 of FX makeup had to be done/worked out for the firs time ever.

So we began to rapidly loose light outside.

Now we had a contigency for rain ... and a contingency for loosing light.

Rain = store bought or homade rain covers for the cameras.

Loosing light = electric lights - no problem we are on the roof of the building and our host was just one floor down.

What we didn't have a contigency for - oh well intentioned newbie filmmakers that we were/are - was BOTH loosing light and Rain.

So of course we lost the light -- ALL OF IT.
And of course it rained -- BUCKETS OF IT.

If it had been just adult actors we would have risked an extension chord on the roof. Aram - camera operator and Gaffer - was pretty sure that fuse would blow before any of us fried. We could agree to take that risk as fool hardy or responsible adults.

but ... we have an 11 year old young lady in the cast (11 going on 30 but 11 nonetheless) and we just weren't comfortable risking shock, or even just her being cold and wet on top of a roof where the whole building just went black.

I don't know who was more discouraged at this point -- the 11 year old who came to the set eager to do her first movie, or me who was about to loose the entire day with zippo footage.

"I just don't think we can get it" I was saying to Leslie.
and to ARAM
"lool through the lenses of the camera's with the 35mm adaptors on them ... it's just pitch black ... how can we do this"

but Leslie and Aram just kept working and troubleshooting where I saw no hope and then Aram pulled this brilliant solution right out of it his poo poo hole.

We moved the shoot to the other side of the roof -- it was way to noisey to shoot there because it was right next to an exhaust or generator of somekind, but that's what ADR is for. What this did allow Aram to do with Leslie's help, was set up a GAZILLION WATT LIGHT
IN THE STAIR WELL SAFE FROM THE RAIN,
AND BLAST THAT SUCKER OUT ONTO THE ROOF WHERE IT WOULD BE CAUGHT AND DIRECTED BY A SERIES OF FOAM CORE REFLECTORS!!!!!

BRILLIANT

SIMPLE

EFFECTIVE

and the shot looks even better than I had hoped because it's at night in the rain with all of the newyork skyline lit up behind it

Also I just finished the ADR and its seemless!

Just having creative people around like that can really augment the process because there is only so much creative energy and brain power that one person who is concerned with everyaspect of the film can bring.

Regardless of how the film comes out I think we will have the best MAKING OF doc ever on DVXuser, because it will have real Lost in La Mancha despair "we can't get it we have to shut down" but followed by success. I mean the BTS of that day would be all of us just ready to poo poo ourselves because day one was gonna be a total bust and then some one hits a home run.

And yes you will have to hear this story again once the fest opens and my film has an official thread ... or I guess I could just link to this post ... but it's a song that will be sung again. If you are in the NY area or have an uncle that works for an airline, work with Leslie and Aram either as a team or individually.

:thumbsup:

Beat Takeshi
05-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Hey Jack, thanks!!! :)
Im glad we were able to get something that day too. That rain was tough but we really got lucky that there was no wind because reflecters would have been really hard to hold up there. I was thinking about that later how Stan would have blown off the roof if it had been windy :P Im glad no ones camera got soaked too. We all had people standing there with umbrellas too with the plastic for extra protection. Sort of double condom stye.
I cant wait to see what it all looks like.

Aaron Marshall
05-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Jack, I'm already getting rich visuals from your movie and I haven't even seen a frame. That was an interesting glimpse into the BTS of your film. I can't wait to see it.

Beat Takeshi
05-08-2006, 07:01 AM
got all the green screen shots done. Got a splitting headache and got nuisious(sp?) near the last hour and had to quit but since we had a kick ass shot list from MsManhattan we blazed through all of the shots except extra close ups but its ok. Started dropping the green out but since it wasnt a flat surface its a biotch and a half so my keys are not clean but thats fine. I think we had a 9 page shot list so I have a ton of work in front of me. Stress is setting in.

Kevin Lee
05-08-2006, 08:39 AM
I built a jib arm real quick for reshooting. We hiked up to the spot 1hr with all the gear. And reshot everything we could with one actor missing. Ok the writer was right. He helped frame and set up the shots, and it looks much better. The friggin intro is almost 3 minutes long.

Whats the longest the movie can be and still be in the running?

conrad_johnson
05-08-2006, 10:06 AM
All photography done, adr half done, fx work half done, brain; half gone.

MsManhattan
05-08-2006, 12:53 PM
It's been a busy month, but almost done. One more shoot plus some pick-up shots with Aram, and have wrapped shooting (I think) with Jack... Thanks, Jack for the kind words about our evening in the rain, and thanks, Aram, for the shout-out on the shot list. It was, BTW, nine pages... oy, vey... but we managed to pare it down with some great takes by our actors -- they were so good, we knew we'd use the take and cut some of the alternate angles on the fly (even before Aram got sick). It was a very productive day.

Kholi
05-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Alrighty, here's my May Status Report.

Haven't shot a second of footage.

Missing Key props
Missing Key Wardrobe
Missing Location (might have that today)
Missing some crew.
Missing some cast.
Missing some funds.
Just brokedown script.
Visual FX guys: non existant now.
Didn't do a rehearsal last weekend.
Can't keep in touch with another key helper.
Just got back from the doctor's office, and going back to another one.
Have yet to secure insurance (production)
Have yet to secure music composer (Might be too late to use Noct by the time I'm done.)

Shooting Date: This Friday.

I'm right on target. >=)

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Alrighty, here's my May Status Report.
Missing some funds.
Visual FX guys: non existant now.
Can't keep in touch with another key helper.
Have yet to secure insurance (production)
I'm right on target. >=)

ditto ... and what's production insurance?

Norm Sanders
05-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Whats the longest the movie can be and still be in the running?

It's now at up to 6 minutes, but with 5 minutes as the preferred ideal.

Kholi
05-08-2006, 05:20 PM
ditto ... and what's production insurance?

LOL. This little piece of paper that you flash in a cops face if he asks " Do you have insurance?". Oh and it's the only way you can get a decent location in California.

Yay for one-million dollar policies. But, it's just what you have to do.

The NY people have it good. Prime locations for what, freesky? Daaamn.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-08-2006, 07:10 PM
its the same in New York as far as insurance is concerned -- to shoot legally you are supposed to have a one million dollar insurance policy.

IF you have that then you can shoot in a cell at Rikers FOR FREE

BUT we can't even afford the hundreds of dollars for the insurance in order to get the free loctations.

We shot in an alley near Chinatown and on a sidewalk in the East Village with no permits -- the rest were on private property.

The cops did drive by -- right through the alley in Chinatown looked right at us and just kept going ... maybe it was because we weren't bothering anybody and were creating zero distraction (I've heard the level of hassle they give you is porprtional to the above two factors) ... OR it could have been because it was very cold and just pouring rain. Timur (co-DP and operator) and I looked like we had jumped into a swimming pool -- no exageration -- wet matted jeans sticking to you, water dripping off you once you get inside -- totally soaked.

Beat Takeshi
05-08-2006, 08:39 PM
We had cops come up to us twice last weekend asking what we were doing and when we told them they said oh cool, just watch out around here, its a highly drug and crime infested area. They both were like shoot all you want, just be careful.
The first time the cops came we were putting the tattoo on the heros arm so it looked like we were shooting up to them.

Kholi
05-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Seriously, those are crazy war stories.

I haven't gone through all of that going through this. But, it's probably just as hard to do something without money here.

It's all good, though.

I'm really looking forwardto seeing the entries this go around, and being at the screening. It'll be neat0.

Beat Takeshi
05-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Yeah, all this drama and sleepless nights, carpeltunnel and hemriods, all for what?
Just to hear someone say "that was cool" :)

Larry Rutledge
05-09-2006, 07:43 AM
I didn't get location permission, nor did I buy insurance (didn't have the budget for it) and I will be in a public area next to a park and we will be waving guns around...that shouldn't raise any concerns :huh:

Fortunately though, my cousin is a local law enforcement officer and will be on set, in uniform :thumbsup:

Kholi
05-09-2006, 10:22 AM
I didn't get location permission, nor did I buy insurance (didn't have the budget for it) and I will be in a public area next to a park and we will be waving guns around...that shouldn't raise any concerns :huh:

Fortunately though, my cousin is a local law enforcement officer and will be on set, in uniform :thumbsup:

I probably wouldn't buy insurance if I had a cousin to come on set as a cop, either. =P

But, I sure did get insurance. At least I know if something does happen, I'm covered to an extent.

Matt Sconce
05-09-2006, 11:05 AM
We filmed in a parking lot for our last night of filming. It got really cold, but we kept on going. About halfway through the shoot, the lights in the parking lot went out. This was the one weekend we had the main actor. He is really busy. We were all pretty discouraged until the co-director mentioned some people who might know how to turn the lights back on. We called and they told us it was in a pantry of the church we were by. The door is always locked though. We went to see and found that someone had forgotten to lock the door! We turned on the lights and finished shooting. It was great, and our first movie on the DVX as well!

Larry Rutledge
05-09-2006, 11:07 AM
I probably wouldn't buy insurance if I had a cousin to come on set as a cop, either. =P

But, I sure did get insurance. At least I know if something does happen, I'm covered to an extent.

I actually have one cousin who is county sheriff (the one that's coming to the set) and has been for 5+ years. Another cousin who is a California Highway Patrol officer (state trooper) for 1 year. And a brother-in-law currently in the police academy.

So I'm all set up! :thumbsup:

But also, my wife's cousin is an insurance man and he is working on getting me a good deal on liability insurance for future projects.

Dahopafilms
05-09-2006, 11:30 AM
9 May update.

All photography finished except for one 3-second greenscreen shot I have to redo.

Rough footage edit finished and presently doing colour correction and tweaking of the visual effects. Rough edit without closing credits is at 5 minutes one second. Closing credits will take up a further 30 seconds.

Sound effects almost finished and attached to the rough edit.

Music acquired, mixed and attached to the rough edit.

Now off to Hong Kong on other business and returning the 21st to finalize the project (that and the schedule of my lead actress pushed the project ahead of where I otherwise would have been at this stage).

V.O. actor travelling here from L.A. the week of the 22nd of May and is scheduled for one day of V.O. with a second day in reserve if needed.

On track. On budget. No surprises.

I'm turning into an accountant.

Aaron Marshall
05-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Yeah, all this drama and sleepless nights, carpeltunnel and hemriods, all for what?
Just to hear someone say "that was cool" :)

hahaha! That could be in a sig.

My hero film is about 88% finished in all areas.

- roughly 15% more of the sound design needs to be done
- a small bit of narration
- I have about 30% more music to score.

That's basically it and my film will be totally finished. The final running length is 5 mins, and 33 secs.

Texture
05-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Wow, love the church door story & JDS, that is definitly a zinger...

I wanna hear more!

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-09-2006, 02:02 PM
... the church ... door is always locked ... someone had forgotten to lock the door! We turned on the lights and finished shooting. It was great, and our first movie on the DVX as well!

I saw your inspirational video piece in the clips section ... Holy Payback, Batman!:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

arielman
05-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Hey msconce (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/member.php?u=10327)
that's great ...we had a similar experience , we thought the minister was going to freak BUT he loved it and allowed us to film our small clip .
Well we are still without the main actor , not looking good at this time . The re- write is looking crappy ,Not what I wanted .
We are going to film anyway , just no guarantee we'll make it .

Ian

Larry Rutledge
05-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Another huge setback...myself and two of the other actors showed up on location for a rehearsal - specifically to work out the fight choreography, with the fight choreographer (he's also the superhero). Anyway, I talked to him Friday and he said he was going to be here, but yesterday and today I could never reach him...he never answered his phone...and after waiting over an hour, he never showed so we finally left.

Very frustrating...because now unless he has a really good reason, I'm going to have to find a new actor for the superhero role and I'll have to either find another fight coordinator or figure it out myself (like I don't already have enough to do). :Drogar-Angry(DBG): :furious3:

Kholi
05-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I really hope that doesn't happen to me. It's hard to keep people on-board without pay.

Good luck with that, dude.

Beat Takeshi
05-10-2006, 08:01 AM
Our last shots are in a very nice landmarked church. The first Church of the Intercession.

http://www.andrewcusack.com/blog/2005/10/index.php

They have this very cool looking courtyard that has an arched enclosed walkway all around.

Kholi
05-10-2006, 11:03 AM
What's up with everyone having a church location? And a rooftop location? O_o;

Aaron Marshall
05-10-2006, 11:46 AM
What's up with everyone having a church location? And a rooftop location? O_o;

What about a church rooftop location? That sounds like two birds with one stone there. :grin:

Kholi
05-10-2006, 11:51 AM
What about a church rooftop location? That sounds like two birds with one stone there. :grin:

LoL. Don't give away my prime locale! GEEZ.

Beat Takeshi
05-10-2006, 12:21 PM
I guess everyone is doing a version of constantine?

CineMark
05-11-2006, 04:13 AM
i have neither a church OR a rooftop. guess i have no chance.

update: we shot monday night with good results. had one of our extras show up in bad makeup, so it took us a little while to fix that and get it right. other than that it was good.

we're behind schedule more than we'd like to be, but we'll get it done.

Mike McNeese
05-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Church? No, we shot in a pet clinic last night.

Beat Takeshi
05-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Im almost finished pulling the greenscreen from the shots and going to start on the digital matte paintings for my backgrounds this weekend. Have to match move the 3D effects to the actors too this weekend and finish shooting. I did a rough edit already to get the feel of what its going to flow like and see what works and what doesnt.

Norm Sanders
05-11-2006, 01:20 PM
About 75% complete with the first rough cut, and already at over 12 1/2 minutes ... with the additional scenes left to edit, I can see this easily hitting 20+ minutes with opening titles & ending credits, neither of which have been worked out yet. Getting a SOLID 5 minute cut is going to be a fun challenge.

CineMark
05-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Wow, that's amazing.

We had a really good shoot tonight. Everyone showed up on time, we had a lot of help, and the footage looks great. Only one more shot to go!

We've really been editing as we go, and we may even make it at the original 5 minute mark. After this weekend it's crunch time on final edit and sound design.

Kholi
05-11-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm out--

Was supposed to shoot this weekend, and some crew members went missing. So, we'll have to find another weekend to shoot.

Look forward to seeing everyone's stuff!

Norm Sanders
05-11-2006, 09:53 PM
All I can say is that I HOPE I don't get tempted to enter the next competition ... these things are too distracting from the bigger projects I want to do, but at the same time we all walk away better film makers for it. So if there's another cool festival after this one, I'll have to commit to making it a QUICK & stupidly simple story, that can be shot in one day with just a couple of friends.

No more of these cast & crew of up to 25 people, etc. Sure, maybe I'm saying all this to please my wife, but sounds good at the moment to me too. :)

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-11-2006, 11:41 PM
I'm out--

Was supposed to shoot this weekend, and some crew members went missing. So, we'll have to find another weekend to shoot.

Look forward to seeing everyone's stuff!

hey man sorry to hear that.

Can you edit a 30 second trailer together and enter for exibition just so we can see the fruit fof your work thus far ... or have you not shot at all yet?

Either way sorry man, you fought the good fight.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-11-2006, 11:43 PM
All I can say is that I HOPE I don't get tempted to enter the next competition ... maybe I'm saying all this to please my wife, but sounds good at the moment to me too. :)

I promised my GF I wouldn't do this one but ... oh well ... I did need to know what it was like to produce in NY as I may be doing a feature soon.

Kholi
05-12-2006, 01:04 AM
hey man sorry to hear that.

Can you edit a 30 second trailer together and enter for exibition just so we can see the fruit fof your work thus far ... or have you not shot at all yet?

Either way sorry man, you fought the good fight.

This weekend was our shoot, sadly. It got up to this point, then one day before, I got emails and calls from people saying they couldn't make it. Either better paying jobs or family stuff.

Can't blame them, though. Just have to wait for another weekend, I suppose.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-12-2006, 02:12 AM
Well I wil be screwed if I can't find a replacement for our VFX guy ASAP.
I started a thread for it
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=547816#post547816
hopefully someone will hook me up :cry:

snodart
05-12-2006, 04:34 AM
I hope things fall back into place for you guys.

My problems have yet to begin, because we haven't started shooting yet. Actually today was a test run to figure out lighting and camera movement/placement. We (a 2 man crew) used ourselves as stand-ins to be able to do a rough edit of some of the sequences; just to check the flow of everything. It wasn't bad except for only having 2 people to break down and set up the equipment each time.

The locations that I was concerned about getting came through fine and should work great. So far so good. We are shooting some real footage on this Saturday and then not again until the 22nd and the 23rd. There's going to be some hard core, light night editing and scoring going on that last week.

You gotta love it.

Kevin Lee
05-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Wow, Snotart you are so behind.... I am in the same boat. Met with the writer last night to try out some pyro technics but it didnt work out like he thought it would. But we came up with another idea that worked pretty good, and is much safer. Now we have to film pretty much every shot tomorrow including some re-takes of last saturday. In a lot of ways this guy is pissing me off!!

Beat Takeshi
05-12-2006, 08:20 AM
I finished the first 3 shots but had to work my butt off to get the footage to blend in the backgrounds. I never pulled the greenscreen tight and had tons of wrinkles but figured I could still pull the mattes. I got most of the mattes but some tore into the talent so I had to come up with creative ways to hide the holes. Took me 2 days just to do the opening shot FX and make the energy ball look like it was part of the scene. :P Man, I bit off alot this time. That first shot was only like 3 seconds long and I have this end battle thats... Aye Carumba...getting a headache just thinking about it. My boss is going to hate me for taking off a few days but coming into work to work on this film since its a brand new kick ass workstation. I can have combustion open and rendering work in lightwave and photoshop without a hiccup. At home I have to wait and wait and wait.

Norm Sanders
05-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Aram, if you've got THAT much equipment & software at your disposal, you must be a VFX king!

I'm confused ... aren't you & Jack working together on the same film, or are you guys just helping with each others' films?

Beat Takeshi
05-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Im hardly a VFX king. I shot a few scenes on a roof and a living room for Jack and then Timur took over so i could start on my flick. I was going to do something simple but fun originally but after seeing The Ore trailer I got syched to do something more. I am going to do the original idea for the extras/BTS footage since I can do it in a weekend I think.
Im pretty happy with the first few shots as they are even though they are not anywhere near perfect. I give myself a limit on what Im going to do on each shot so i can move on to the next and not get caught up in perfecting too much.
After I finish for the contest I can always tweak as needed.

MikeZas
05-13-2006, 02:06 AM
Shot 2/3rds of the footage, edited about a minute of a rough cut. Working sparsley on VFX and music here and there.

Mike McNeese
05-13-2006, 11:33 AM
We finished shooting last night...well, actually 3:30 this morning. Capturing the last few clips right now, and I hope to have a very rough cut for our composer by tonight.

Anthem78
05-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Two more shots to go. One tonight, one tomorrow night. Have a pretty decent rough cut together and working on VFX/color correcting. Still so much to do...

Norm Sanders
05-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Still so much to do...

There's an understatement ... at least as far as ours is concerned. Was supposed to have the first rough cut finished last night, but just couldn't get through the final scene ... too many good takes to choose from, which I guess is a good problem to have.

So I'm still trying to finish it now, then have to go back & clean up & tweak a bunch of other spots ... then follow up with more of that tomorrow (on Mothers Day - my wife will be SO glad!), as well as come up with a solid 5 minute cut out of our 20+ minute short.

Fun, fun, fun. This all has to be done tomorrow, to get to the composer before I leave for a week on Monday AM.

Anthem78
05-13-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm hoping to hand ours off to the composer on Monday morning too. I could tweak this thing forever. Good thing for deadlines.

Matt Sconce
05-13-2006, 10:23 PM
We just got the music laid down and are now putting in the VFX and color correcting. The sound effects are all recorded. Foley is TIME CONSUMING!! I now understand why people do not usually try to do EVERYTHING themselves for a movie. But, with all that said, I am having an absolutely fantastic time!

Beat Takeshi
05-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Finished shooting our last dialog scene and editing it now then its back to compositing. I have to give a big kudos to MsManhattan again for pulling us in on time and wrapping as scheduled. The actress said she loves working like that and she hates when things drag from poor planning. I think we wrapped shooting on time almost every shoot. Having the shot lists and everything planned makes things SOOO much faster.
Note to self: Dont move the camera when doing green screen shoots if you have a short time limit. Its freaking hard to match the move with the background images. :P

Peter Murphy
05-14-2006, 03:10 AM
I just finished page 3 of my script!!

Matt Sconce
05-14-2006, 06:01 AM
Tragedy strikes! While attempting to free up more space for a next to final render, I deleted the media cache file. Since I had brilliantly set the media cache file to the folder in which I store all my finished work and sound effects, I successfully deleted almost every single final project I have ever created, including many of the sound effects for my hero fest entry. I attempted to recover them with WinUndelete, but all the recovered files are corrupted. Yes...I almost cried. I have many of the files on DVD but it is simply not the same. From now on it is Back up hard drive time!! Luckily, I had been saving all my video files for this project and most of the sound to a different hard drive...I don't know why but I am glad I did. When I saw my hero fest entry was almost completely intact and safe, I almost passed out with relief. Since the last two days were spent sound editing, and I deleted a lot of my sound, it is back to the grind stone. I'll be back soon.....

arielman
05-14-2006, 08:00 AM
We were to film one night scene last night But mother nature decided otherwise . No big deal we'll try tonight .
I was to do a scene this morning at 8am . I talked to the actor last night ..yes..yes I will be there !! Well I get home at 4am in bed at 4:30 and back up for 7:15 . I head down town ..no traffic , no people ..perfect.
8:15 and no actor ..I phone ..no answer ..try Cell..turned off ...It is now 9:51 and not a peep ..and the sad bit is this guy is to do a scene this afternoon...

I had thoughts of not doing another short after this one (if we make it) .
But after this kind of crap , I don't need the Bulls****.

Not sure why people do this .Do they think our time means nothing , buying props with our hard worked dollars is only chump change .

But pay backs are good ..one guy who did a no show in the Zombie flick ,bailed in the Sci_fi ..he who phoned asking to be in this one and then changed his mind later that week ...Ok this time he didn't leave me in a lurch ...but had the nerve to ask if I could work on his 4 wheeler as the cam chain was shot ..$75 an hour they want he say's ..I said sorry can't work on it , take it to the dealer ..I usually charge $20 pr Hr, not this time ..I think he was a little pissed at the thoughts of a 10 hr labour job plus parts at dealer rates.
This was my last laugh

Well I'm off to try and save this afternoons shots .
Sorry for the Rant guys .
Ian

Larry Rutledge
05-14-2006, 08:26 AM
All these horror stories everyone is telling have me a little worried...since I haven't shot a single frame yet. We shoot this Saturday, I know that only gives me 10 days for post....but I am doing a lot of pre-planning to hopefully avoid the dreaded on-set phrase, "We'll fix that in post"

In my last report I mentioned that we had a rehearsal where our fight choreographer, who was also playing the part of our superhero, didn't show up and didn't call. I finally talked to him a couple days later and learned he had been in a car accident that day, which is why he didn't show or think to call. The worst part is, his arm is in a cast (not very superhero-y to be wearing a cast), so here I am one week from shooting and looking for an actor and fight choreographer.

The good news is, however, I got responses from a couple guys who seem like good replacements...going to audition them at the rehearsal, which means I have less than a week to get the costume (have to wait to see what size of clothes)...it's going to cost a fortune in overnight fees. Ah, the joys of film production!! :)

On a more positive note, tomorrow (May 15) is my birthday!!! :thumbsup:

Peace,
Larry

Matt Sconce
05-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Happy Birthday!! :-)

Kholi
05-14-2006, 12:31 PM
It's hard to keep crew and cast on board when you can't afford to pay them.

I'm paying, but not enough apparently. Shooting for this upcoming weekend of May or the next one, and maybe I'll make the DVXfest.

Good luck everyone.

Mike McNeese
05-14-2006, 01:17 PM
It's hard to keep crew and cast on board when you can't afford to pay them.

I've spent over $230 feeding my cast...they better not think about not showing up.

My composers are setting up their gear right behind me right now...I already fed them.

Kholi
05-14-2006, 01:48 PM
I've spent over $230 feeding my cast...they better not think about not showing up.

My composers are setting up their gear right behind me right now...I already fed them.

Not saying this will apply to every single situation, but it happens even when you're paying them what they want.

Sometimes, food just isn't enough. I mean, a lot of people know that if you're going to get anywhere, you just have to make sacrifices. But, most of the time it's just the fact that they still have to pay rent. And doing a short virtually for free that's probably going to go nowhere isn't an economical way to do so.

Not that I'm saying everyone's short is going to go nowhere (including my own), it's just that shorts, honestly, don't move beyond the realm of. Meaning that they just end up being shorts. You can only do so much with a short on your reel.

It really comes down to how much potential the short has to become a feature, or how desperate your actors are to participate in SOMETHING. You can't really blame anyone for crapping out if you aren't paying them at least one-hundred dollars ($100.00) a day for their services.

Same thing goes for crew, even more so. It's not really a question of getting lime light for them (With the exceptions of producer, 1st AD, Director, DP, And Composer... if I left something out that fits that tier let me know.) THey absolutely need to get paid SOMETHING.

Sucks, though, I still don't have enough money to pay them all what they want, but I hope to make it work before this month is over with. I really want to get on to another, more beneficial story.

Norm Sanders
05-14-2006, 01:50 PM
My hard costs for for food ended up being $430 for up to 25 people for 4 days. We actually had EXTRA people show up the first weekend ... some REAL pros that just came out of nowhere, so a HUGE blessing.

Our only horror story of someone no-showing was our costumer/seamstress ... THAT sucked, as it was at possibly the most critical time & we had no costumes for our largest cast night, but we made it through & adapted quickly.

I wish we had finished on time, but instead ran at least an hour over on each of the four nights ... ending up with 10+ hour days instead of 9 as scheduled. On the flip side though, I'm hearing from various people now about productions they're on that weren't nearly as smooth & friendly as ours ... which always makes a person feel good to hear.

And we must have been fairly efficient, as those four nights have given us a 20+ minute film that we're really proud of already & thats only with the ROUGH draft that has a LONG way to go before completion.

I've at least got to get the 5 minute cut finished today & to the composer tomorrow ... THAT's going to be tough ... like open heart surgery & possibly leaving some of the most important parts on the operating table.

Happy B-Day tomorrow, Larry! I'll think of you as I'm in the air on the way to Aruba. You also share our lead actresses' son's birthday ... he turns 5. :)

Norm Sanders
05-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Kholi, a lot of what you're saying may have to do with where people are at, geographically. In LA what you're saying is probably more true ... in Portland, however, I had a LOT of SAG/Union people doing this thing for absoutely free ... bringing their own gear (lights, stunt pads, rain towers, etc.), props, travel, etc.

Portland is supposed to be rated now one of the top 5 Indie Film places, so I've heard ... maybe that has something to do with it.

Otherwise, I think it just comes down to how much people love the producer/director vision, and the script. Everyone was into ours, and we also got people to be involved simply because someone else they knew & really respected was involved (that happened with both of our make-up ladies, our Key Gaffer, etc.).

Kholi
05-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Kholi, a lot of what you're saying may have to do with where people are at, geographically. In LA what you're saying is probably more true ... in Portland, however, I had a LOT of SAG/Union people doing this thing for absoutely free ... bringing their own gear (lights, stunt pads, rain towers, etc.), props, travel, etc.

Portland is supposed to be rated now one of the top 5 Indie Film places, so I've heard ... maybe that has something to do with it.

Otherwise, I think it just comes down to how much people love the producer/director vision, and the script. Everyone was into ours, and we also got people to be involved simply because someone else they knew & really respected was involved (that happened with both of our make-up ladies, our Key Gaffer, etc.).

You're probably right. In other places, people will probably work on anything. It makes sense, because they probably don't get approached nearly half as much as they would here in Los Angeles.

Cost of Living is a lot different, as well, despite the fact that I have no problem financially here (I am blessed and I am very thankful for it.).

I know for a fact that if I were back home in Georgia, I'd be able to put together a larger production for less money, with much better locations and a cast and crew that would hold through on their word.

And I'll tell you right off that my script isn't strong enough, personally. But, I guess there are other people that will say otherwise. I honestly think that I was so tired of sitting around, I just put whatever came to mind down on paper and went with it, and even though it went through like eight drafts, I still want to move beyond it and do something I really want to do.

I am, however, glad that the script itself had built enough steam to carry me to where I am, because I know I wasn't doing the footwork. =P

I guess I just shouldn't have planned on a holiday weekend. People love their mommas!

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-14-2006, 05:41 PM
....they probably don't get approached nearly half as much as they would here in Los Angeles.

I know this won't help much now, but here are some long term thoughts that will apply to L.A. as well.

Try to get to know actors. Go to plays. Talk to them afterwards. Hopefully make friends with them and friends with their friends.

Take an on camera acting class ... you don't have to want to be an actor, its a great experience for a filmmaker, it will help you work with actors, and presto you will have a peer group of actor friends that you have seen work on camera for six weeks, unknowingly auditioning for you.

Then talk about your ideas to the ones you really like. Let them know that you think they have buckets of talent and that you are thinking of writing something especially for them. You'll be able to tell who is really psyched about your idea and just dying to play the Russian Spy in your next film and whose eyes drift away while you are droning on.

Now you've been able to audtion and sus out people who are hungry enough to pay money to take a class and really need stuff for their real.

Last step ... you have to write your ass off. In film or on the stage actors will always be attracted to and take paycuts or work for free for work they believe in. So then the script has to kick arse.

Kholi
05-14-2006, 06:56 PM
I know this won't help much now, but here are some long term thoughts that will apply to L.A. as well.

Try to get to know actors. Go to plays. Talk to them afterwards. Hopefully make friends with them and friends with their friends.

Take an on camera acting class ... you don't have to want to be an actor, its a great experience for a filmmaker, it will help you work with actors, and presto you will have a peer group of actor friends that you have seen work on camera for six weeks, unknowingly auditioning for you.

Then talk about your ideas to the ones you really like. Let them know that you think they have buckets of talent and that you are thinking of writing something especially for them. You'll be able to tell who is really psyched about your idea and just dying to play the Russian Spy in your next film and whose eyes drift away while you are droning on.

Now you've been able to audtion and sus out people who are hungry enough to pay money to take a class and really need stuff for their real.

Last step ... you have to write your ass off. In film or on the stage actors will always be attracted to and take paycuts or work for free for work they believe in. So then the script has to kick arse.

The script wasn't the problem. The crew was. You can only do so much with a crew when there's not much money to pay them. The actors didn't drop out. I had gotten another principal character on board but he had plans already and was willing to do the 400mile drive back and forth just to make it.

My real problem was just keeping crew. Without Sound, Make-up, and another Grip and Gaffer, things just would've been chaotic.

The actors, however, were/are totally in, including stunt guys and all.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-14-2006, 07:22 PM
The script wasn't the problem. The crew was. You can only do so much with a crew when there's not much money to pay them. The actors didn't drop out. I had gotten another principal character on board but he had plans already and was willing to do the 400mile drive back and forth just to make it.

My real problem was just keeping crew. Without Sound, Make-up, and another Grip and Gaffer, things just would've been chaotic.

The actors, however, were/are totally in, including stunt guys and all.

Didn't mean to say your script didn't rock.

Crew can be the hardest to keep. They have the least motivation to be there. A boom operator doesn't need a reel -- I lost crew myself on this shoot. Usually when you loose people their expectations or needs aren't being met. They may have really unreasonable expectations, but communication is key, if you know that they don't want to work more than 5 hours a day for free, or that they are just doing this as a favor then you can try to use them accordingly. Learning is the best motivator for everyone except the main creative forces infront of and behind t he camer from DP to Producer to Actor -- hopefully those people feel putting another feather in their cap and building their reel is payment enough, but for other crew positions its tough to find that bablance of someone that knows what they are doing enough not to be a liablility while being green enough to view the whole thing as a learning experience that they feel lucky to have.

But like I said I didn't do the best job with this one in that area. Luckily we had so many people start that the hardcore fiew that remained were unflappable and ready to get the job done no matter what -- especially Timur :thumbsup:

Kholi
05-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Hopefully I can pick up this weekend. So tired of waiting on it.

I'm about to go nuts waiting to start on my next project.

Mike McNeese
05-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I think being in LA or Toronto is a lot different than my location here in Ohio...for a while I had people throwing themselves at this project. A few dropped out, but I've ended up with a WONDERFUL cast and crew...yes, some of them are bringing their own props, costumes, light kits, mics, etc. A big part of it was making them feel that this project is theirs, not just mine...and that's the truth. And now that shooting is done, everyone left wondering when the next project was gonna start.

The really hard part has been finding locations...it's hard to get people to cooperate in providing a location because they are getting nothing in return from me.

Norm Sanders
05-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Both locked edits are complete ... one at 20+ minutes, the other at JUST under 6. If you're going to hate me for not being able to get it to under 5 minutes, send your hate mail/poll to the following thread: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=57292

Beat Takeshi
05-15-2006, 02:53 PM
The really hard part has been finding locations...it's hard to get people to cooperate in providing a location because they are getting nothing in return from me.

You could try getting that core crew together and chip in some money for your locations for your next shoot. This way you have another shoot and they are kind of invested and will show up. ;)

MiataFilmSomething
05-15-2006, 03:04 PM
I had a blast filming! This was a dream of mine and it was totally fun. 2:30 AM, everyone's yawning and getting a little grumpy, but we were all still rarin' to go! 2 AM is my time to shine, I do my best work then! That's how I roll!

mjmcneese I think spent WAY too much money on food for us, as he mentioned he fed us before, but he didn't have to. Besides, you should have seen this one pizza we got. Oh man, it was just insane. Imagine if the biggest battle scene from Braveheart was re-created using cows and pigs, and they took the carnage from the battlefield and put it on a pizza. I can see some pig with sausage all around him yelling, "FREEEEEEEEDOMMM!"

Aaron Marshall
05-15-2006, 04:06 PM
As of this morning, my hero film is FINISHED! I love being ahead of schedule.

Hallelujah

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-15-2006, 04:10 PM
:nads::kali::badputer::furious3:

:grin:

Matt Sconce
05-15-2006, 07:09 PM
As of this morning, my hero film is FINISHED! I love being ahead of schedule.

Hallelujah

Great Job!

Anthem78
05-15-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm jealous.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-15-2006, 08:33 PM
:nads::kali::badputer::furious3:

uhm I mean yeah ... congratualtions :thumbsup:

... and yes just quoted myself ...

Brandon Rice
05-15-2006, 08:42 PM
uhm I mean yeah ... congratualtions :thumbsup:

... and yes just quoted myself ...

LOL Jack! Where have you and your perfect timing comedy been? LOL! ROFL!

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-15-2006, 10:12 PM
I don't know but I just PMed 85 people making sure they all know about the extra minute. No whiney's. Basses covered.

and for your who's in list Brandon:
adepew07 is now Alex Depew and
NBCshooter is now Rezfactor

Aaron Marshall
05-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Good thinking

Larry Rutledge
05-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Well, finally... I have some good news to report!! :)

After the fiasco last Tuesday (where I had scheduled a rehearsal the guy who was both the fight choreographer and the superhero didn't show) I quickly put out a new call for a superhero and a fight choreographer. I got a couple responses on the superhero part, but nothing on the choreographer.

Then yesterday I got an e-mail from a guy who wanted to help with the choreography. Of the two that responded about being the superhero, one dropped out so it fell to the other guy by default...turns out he is a real actor (commercial, indie-film, some tv).

Well the best news is that in that short span of one week I got both positions filled and had a VERY PRODUCTIVE rehearsal tonight. I am actually looking forward to the shoot on Saturday (I was starting to get very concerned about it).

I think I'm going to be ok again :thumbsup:

Look out, my first place entry is back in the running :evil:

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-16-2006, 11:38 PM
http://www.briankeene.com/images/talkingsmack.jpg

snodart
05-17-2006, 05:07 AM
Sounds like good news Larry. I am anxious to see how the fight scene turns out.

I'm am still awaiting our shooting days (May 22nd and 23rd). Crazy I know. We have shot so much test footage while awaiting for these days to arrive, I am already burnt. Ok, not too burnt to shoot more, but close. My DIY adapter is working like a champ. I can't wait to get some feedback about the footage.

We have been doing test shoots of the entire storyboard to make sure all of our ducks are in a row before the actual production begins. I have edited most all of the test footage as it will play out in the end product. My jaw hit the floor today when I realized that the story will probably run close to 10 minutes. What the heck do I do now? A quasi trailer? I don't think it will do the story any justice to trim half of it. Not sure what I'm going to do.
:eek:

Beat Takeshi
05-17-2006, 08:44 AM
you can always speed it up 200% :)

I have a few scenes to shoot still but Im digging the VFX so far even though Im doing them by myself and not sleeping. 4-5am every night and getting up at 7 to go to work. OMG im tired but im having fun. This is the first contest Im actually busting my ass on.

Beat Takeshi
05-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Oh yeah, for my behind the scenes Im going to shoot a bonus Hero fest short that I was going to originally do for the contest.

MiataFilmSomething
05-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Don't worry, Snodart, you can do it. When we first got our script ready, teh time was probably around 10 to 15 min. But that's my fault, when I start to write I just end up putting in all this extra stuff because my mind starts moving a mile a minute and I think of new dialog and scenes while I'm typing.
It wasn't until we had a new idea to try that we were able to cut it down to 5 min.

There's a way to do it, you may have to adjust the film a little, but you can do it. Good luck!

snodart
05-17-2006, 11:16 AM
you can always speed it up 200% :)
LOL.

I have a few scenes to shoot still but Im digging the VFX so far even though Im doing them by myself and not sleeping. 4-5am every night and getting up at 7 to go to work. OMG im tired but im having fun. This is the first contest Im actually busting my ass on.
Nothing like some good old fashioned dedication. Its the best way to learn/grow.

There's a way to do it, you may have to adjust the film a little, but you can do it. Good luck!
Thanks.

I know that I read somewhere that some festivals will not accept entries that have been shown on the internet. Does anybody know if this is correct? I wonder if only showing the short version on the internet would count.

Beat Takeshi
05-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Yeah im wishing I started on this a month earlier. Of course its much cooler in my head. Since theres no time to experiment with effects I pretty much have to take what I create the first or second time around. My idea about creating all my background matte paintings came to a quick halt when I saw how much time it was taking to make it look nice. I did one really nice one but it just wont match because I dont have the time to make enough of them so i settled on a ground plane, a sky and some random buildings. The hardest part is still to come though, I have to match move a 3D object to an arm which I have no clue how to do yet so in between renders I have been reading up. I have plenty of time rendering too between combustion, lightwave, after effects and premiere.

soffcore
05-17-2006, 11:54 AM
I know that I read somewhere that some festivals will not accept entries that have been shown on the internet. Does anybody know if this is correct? I wonder if only showing the short version on the internet would count.[/quote]

i know some festivals do not accept internet films (cannes for instance). seems kinda messed up to me; i don't see why it should matter. don't know about alternate/longer versions though. perhaps that's a loophole you can exploit.

Beat Takeshi
05-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Yeah some dont want anything shown anywhere publically. I guess its in case it blows up and becomes something distributers want. I guess they want exclusive rights if that happens. The contests here sort of run the same way. No pimpin til the fat lady sings.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-17-2006, 01:16 PM
its more for the it PREMIERED here factor because the festival doesnt get rights over your film anyway as far as I understand it. Sundance doesn't get a a piece of your distro deal if you show your film there and its a hit.

from my theatre background I worked at theatre's that did New Plays and its the same thing - for the theatre, their grants and all of that are contingent on showing how they impact the art the communuty and the artistists

that means saying "we premiered X play that went on to do X thing"

If the film ahas already been at Sundance then its not an event when it plays at Cannes and Cannes can't claim credit for bringing it to the world.

But ... lots of festivals do take films that have been shown elsewhere ... hence the string of these you see on video boxes and movie posters
http://www.intentionalfilms.com/portal/images/Laurel-Wreath-Spindletop.gif

Matt Sconce
05-17-2006, 05:16 PM
YAHHHH!!!! I Am now officially done and wrapped with all aspects of my hero-fest project! *Dances around* It was a much longer process than I anticipated.

Daniel Skubal
05-17-2006, 07:37 PM
We wrapped day 3 today, still have 2 more planned but realistically, probably 3 more. I don't know if we will be able to get it submitted in time though. Very concerned about that. Almost every shot has some VFX involved. We'll see though.

Larry Rutledge
05-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Can you believe it? We've been having a heat wave (95+) for the past couple weeks. I've been praying that the weather would let up a little by Saturday (the only day I can get the shoot done). So today I checked the weather forecast and it is supposed to cool down :thumbsup: but it also says possible thundershowers :furious3:

Hopefully we'll just get the nice cool weather with great overcast skies and there won't be a single drop of rain or bolt of lightning http://www.nrestudios.com/images/smilies/emote_22_yikes.gif

Brandon Rice
05-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Weather sucks... it was way hot and sunny this morning... then pouring this afternoon... what the heck!?

Peter Murphy
05-17-2006, 11:25 PM
I don't think I'm going to be able to make this one in time. I'm still going to shoot the story I wrote for this anyway, so keep an eye out I guess.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Can you believe it? We've been having a heat wave (95+) for the past couple weeks. I've been praying that the weather would let up a little by Saturday (the only day I can get the shoot done). So today I checked the weather forecast and it is supposed to cool down :thumbsup: but it also says possible thundershowers :furious3:

Hopefully we'll just get the nice cool weather with great overcast skies and there won't be a single drop of rain or bolt of lightning http://www.nrestudios.com/images/smilies/emote_22_yikes.gif
If its not a continuity issue then gear up for the rain.
Rain = Instant production Value :)

Daniel Skubal
05-17-2006, 11:39 PM
If its not a continuity issue then gear up for the rain.
Rain = Instant production Value :)

rofl or Rain= Instant fried nasa chips.

I filmed in the rain today. Everything from the focus ring forward and the back end of my camera were quite wet, so I've been afraid to turn it on since. I definitely need a rain jacket. Plastic bags in downpours don't quite cut it.

Aaron Marshall
05-17-2006, 11:55 PM
I don't think I'm going to be able to make this one in time. I'm still going to shoot the story I wrote for this anyway, so keep an eye out I guess.

That sucks man! Is there any way you can get it finished up in time? I wish I could fly out and help you.

Larry Rutledge
05-20-2006, 10:36 PM
Well, we wrapped!!! 60 - 80 setups (still waiting for the actual count from the Script Supervisor) in one day!!! Friday night it POURED rain, which would have been a problem since 98% of our shots were exterior, but this morning I looked out and we had a nice blue sky with white fluffly clouds floating around. It stayed realtively cool considering it had been nearly 100 degrees last saturday, I think it hit around 75, but was pretty humid mid-afternoon.

All in all, it went very well.. I think we got all our coverage. Tomorrow begins the arduous task of editing all that footage down to a cohesive 5 minutes.

Good luck everyone, you're gonna need it :grin:

Peace,
Larry

Aaron Marshall
05-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Awesome Larry! I'm glad to hear it's all wrapped up.

Brandon Rice
05-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Well, we wrapped!!! 60 - 80 setups (still waiting for the actual count from the Script Supervisor) in one day!!! Friday night it POURED rain, which would have been a problem since 98% of our shots were exterior, but this morning I looked out and we had a nice blue sky with white fluffly clouds floating around. It stayed realtively cool considering it had been nearly 100 degrees last saturday, I think it hit around 75, but was pretty humid mid-afternoon.

All in all, it went very well.. I think we got all our coverage. Tomorrow begins the arduous task of editing all that footage down to a cohesive 5 minutes.

Good luck everyone, you're gonna need it :grin:

Peace,
Larry

Nice, I cannot wait to see it!

Beat Takeshi
05-21-2006, 09:09 PM
Wrapped shooting today!!!
Now to make sense of it all.

Larry Rutledge
05-21-2006, 10:16 PM

I feel ya man...I'm going through my footage now and while I'm pleased with most of it, there are some things I wish I had time to go back and reshoot, or new shots to help meke things fit right.

Oh well, such is the life of an editor, I guess.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Wrapped shooting today!!!

wait ... these are supposed to make sense?

... crap :badputer:

oh well ... back to the editing room :cheesy:

WilderWorks
05-22-2006, 12:13 PM
We're shot. We've got a few edits, but there remain kinks to iron out. And we're starting to work with our intrepid composer to put down some music. While the team is finishing that off, I'm gonna start sorting through a few hours of behind-the-scenes footage.

Daniel Skubal
05-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Don't think I am going to make the deadline. The stuff we've filmed so far looks great, but we just won't be able to finish the shoot and effects in time. I'd rather shoot this thing correctly than rush it and have a crappy finished product. I might do a trailer like I did last year for my zombiefest entry... we'll see though.

arielman
05-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Why me?
We were offered a remarkable place to film in , the date as set( Last Sunday).
2 of my actors have a 45 min drive to this location , the other 2 ,15 min . I was there at 10am , filming was to start at 11am . guess who didn't show ...ya the 2 local guys . Thankfully my lady friend and the other actor would like to try again this sunday ..the other 2 still haven't returned my calls .
It just isn't going for us this time around but we aren't giving up.
If we don't make it isn't because we didn't try .
Here I thought these shorts were to be fun ..lol

Going to try some green screen shots tonight. let's see if I can pull it off.
Ian

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Why me?
We were offered a remarkable place to film in , the date as set( Last Sunday).
2 of my actors have a 45 min drive to this location , the other 2 ,15 min . I was there at 10am , filming was to start at 11am . guess who didn't show ...ya the 2 local guys . Thankfully my lady friend and the other actor would like to try again this sunday ..the other 2 still haven't returned my calls .
It just isn't going for us this time around but we aren't giving up.
If we don't make it isn't because we didn't try .
Here I thought these shorts were to be fun ..lol

Going to try some green screen shots tonight. let's see if I can pull it off.
Ian

way to stick it out man ... you are recasting the local actors -- right?

If all are working for free and someone's s no show because they over slept or are hungover or just brain farted, ok whatever let's make teh day up.

If they no show, no call, no return call, then you shouldn't risk putting yourself in that position again.

86 'em.

arielman
05-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi Jack .......lmao , yes i have re-cast twice already...I must thank one of my actors ( a friend) who has stuck it out since we started but has since been bed ridden with pulled back muscle's ..not from filming . He really wants to continue but I refuse ..I can finish his last scene just by using the old fake (replace) scene . I sure wish the others were as dedicated as he .
I pay my guys with beer and pizza or whatever they like as a thank you .

If anyone does a no show , there out . What ever happen to ones word , I guess those days are gone .

I guess at an earlier stage being hungover was OK ..but this late ..nope!
I am an easy going guy but there is only sooo much one can take .
Well I'm off Gents ..must try a green screen shot tonight ..4:30 am comes way to early.
Ian

Larry Rutledge
05-22-2006, 05:56 PM
If they no show, no call, no return call, then you shouldn't risk putting yourself in that position again.

86 'em.

Exactly, I had a communication and no-show problem with the guy who was going to be my superhero and the fight choreographer. After giving him TOO many chances, I finally let him go and got replacements that were much more experienced and all around better.

I've been going through my footage today trying to get an initial edit, while I'm very proud of what we got accomplished (especially considering this is only the second film I have ever attempted in my entire life), I really wish I had time for pick-ups.

Well, good luck to you all :) Back to the editing!!

Matt Sconce
05-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Those are some scary stories....:violent5:

Beat Takeshi
05-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Yeah no doubt, you guys are making me feel lucky these few years of film making.

Edit: Well actually we had one guy walk off set after he got all huffy with someone else but found out thats why people dont like working with him. We all looked at each other and shrugged our shoulders and moved on. Keep on keepin' on.

JwrFord
05-23-2006, 04:37 PM
We have had some huge issues. One was the weather the other was our contact at Amtrak. He really made a poor working environment for everyone and added alot of stress with his attitude for crew and actors alike. He was very unproffessional and our location manager wasn't there to help control him. In the end we had to skip 3-4 shots and just deal. He more or less kicked us out. We have some amazing stories for the bts of things I have NEVER dealt with.
We have been dealing with alot of no shows and neglecting. I just sigh and try not to take it personal.

Beat Takeshi
05-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Thats the worst when someone makes it a poor working environment like that with attitude. I was just recently on the other side of the fence where I decided not to come back to a production for the same reason. I think its key to make sure everyone is happy and treat them with respect.

Brandon Rice
05-23-2006, 05:24 PM
That's the one major thing I want to keep in mind on my next project, since I'll have a bit of a crew, which I have never had before...

WilderWorks
05-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Those are the nightmares that make me willing to fly across the country on a shoe-string budget, just to work with my tried and true friends. Folks who've come through in the past are worth any effort to work with again. Professional filmmakers do the same (same crew, favorite actors), and I can see why.

Beat Takeshi
05-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah keeping the same crew means everyone knows each other and feels comfortable doing what ever job they do. Even if they make a percieved mistake, theres no reason to sh!t all over them in front of other people, thats just ass wrong. Doing that you wind up having a crew that will do the least they can if they still show up ever again and will never go out of their way for you when you need it. Then you get the old speech "dont you want to make a great film and be part of this?" uh, yeah, but not at the expense of respect. No one like sitting there holding a boom, camera, or whatever thinking to themselves "this suuuuucks".

i_&_t
05-24-2006, 11:24 AM
we finally wrapped shooting. we are very happy with all of our footage (a total of 10 shooting days!)....now we just have to do all the post....in three days. wish us luck!:Drogar-Evil(DBG):

snodart
05-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Today is our last day/night of shooting. I am so anxious to see all of the entries, I am going crazy!

We are still way over 5/6 minutes (currently around 9.5). Poor planning on my part. Trim, trim, trim.

I looked into the Palm Spring Short Film Festival regarding the "entries must not have been previously viewed on the internet" issue. The person I spoke with (email) said that if the short version (5-6 minutes) had a different name and was actually shorter, then it shouldn't be a problem. The fest in Palm Springs is pretty great by the way. They have a huge variety of shorts.

Good luck to everybody finishing up!

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-24-2006, 06:42 PM
:angry:

:lipsrseal

:cry:

:bath:

JwrFord
05-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Thats the worst when someone makes it a poor working environment like that with attitude. I was just recently on the other side of the fence where I decided not to come back to a production for the same reason. I think its key to make sure everyone is happy and treat them with respect.
Exactly I said it after the shoot and say it now. "As long as everyone is smiling and feeling good on set it will show through on film." Being happy and making time to help others makes the situation all the better. It makes a better product and a better experience. Reaction to stress at the end of the day, is what determines your weight in salt.
I couldn't have been more pissed at the guy for acting like that pulling out old emails our connection sent him etc etc. Live and learn though.

Beat Takeshi
05-25-2006, 11:38 AM
:angry:

:lipsrseal

:cry:

Am I supposed to respond to this?

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-25-2006, 11:41 AM
nope :)

snodart
05-25-2006, 01:09 PM

I wonder what exactly this little guy is doing under the water?

Larry Rutledge
05-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Well, I finally got a cut sent off to my composer around 1:30 this morning (didn't have to be up until 5:30 for work :grin: ). My post audio guy got the audio cleaned up as much as possible.

Scheduled the actors for pick-ups this Saturday, just a few shots, no more than 3 hours (I hope). Working on color correction, and special effects the next couple days. Got a lot of sound design to do still.

Should be done by August 1st...hope that's a REALLY soft deadline (j/k - I'll be in on time, one way or another).

Peace,
Larry

Matt Sconce
05-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Good job man! Good luck with the rest!

Beat Takeshi
05-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Sweeeet dude. I still have a lot of sound design to do still but im going to do that after its sent to the composer.

I was able to get my latest rough cut down to 5:37:11 So I think I am going to even have a title and credits in this one. I still dont have a name for my flick or a name for the Hero yet.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-25-2006, 06:05 PM
How about Puffin man :cheesy:

hey ... i just realized, in light of that test I help you shoot and what the actors characters were smoking ... Puffin Films could have two meaninges, lol http://www.smileys.ws/smls/cool/00000027.gif

ok cool ... so you are doing credits for your online version also

i wasn't sure if i was going to do them at first -- I'm at 5:24 without and then 5:45 or so with them, but was worried that would be like hogging bandwidth
since the extra minute is a grace minute. But how much can twenty seconds add? Only a megabyte or two I'd imagine.

So then I was like screw it and put them on. Everyone did a great job on my filck and worked hard and its cooler to see your name scroll by than just read it on a list stuck on the first post of my films thread so i put it on there -- but you have to read fast!

With my other fllicks, no one envolved knew about or cared about DVXuser so it didn't matter much if they were on there for the online version or not, but like six DVXusers helped me build this particular barn so the online credits matter more this time.

I figure its the internet, so people can pause and frame through it if they really want to read it, but at least I got them on there.

Beat Takeshi
05-26-2006, 12:37 PM
My original site had my friend smoking a cigar on it and I didnt realize that puffin a joint would be thought of until someone mentioned it.

http://puffinfilms.com/images/Filmsscreen.jpg

This was my favorite though. Me fishing in the hamptons.

http://puffinfilms.com/images/Projectsscreen.jpg

Brandon Rice
05-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Well... it sounds like all your projects are going to turn out fabulous! Just be happy I'm not entering or it would already be over ;) J/K!

snodart
05-27-2006, 02:18 AM
Well, I just finished a rough edit. A few days ago (or was it weeks), I had a 10 minute rough cut version... but now that I have spent a few days chopping, hacking, and trimming; it is at least down under 6 minutes. I'm not sure how much more it can take. It is sort of like taking a large painting and cutting it in half, just doesn't seem to work as well.
:)

Anyway, if it does okay here, then maybe I will fine tune the 10 minute version and submit it to a festival. If not, then that's okay because I have learned a ton. I think I'm going to need a bigger crew than 2 next time.

I'm sorry to hear that a few have had to step out. Nothing wasted.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-27-2006, 04:55 AM
Congrats on getting your cut down.

Now that you've excised some big chunks and cut material altoghter, if you feel like doing a second pass, I focused on my editing in a different way this time.

Maybe everybody does this all the time, but its something I learned new this time.

After I finished the rough cut (6:04) I then went back and sort of questioned every cut within a few to several frames with the axiom that we need very little time to percieve and understand something.

Scrubbing back and forth I found I could loose 1, 2, or as much as 10 frames from a cut.

My quick cut actiony scenes got significantly "actionier" and my talking slowerpaced slice of life scenes (yes folks in a hero movie) just tightened up a bit with out affecting what I wanted to be a contrasting pace to the wham bam scenes.

My rough cut of 6:04 was now a locked picture at 5:24.

Sorry if that seems obvious but its teh first time I've done this rather than cutting when someone is almost out of the frame rather than having just crossed the left or right third, or if cuttinng from wide to medium as someone picks up a phone - rather than matching the continuity perfectly in where the hand is in each shot, cutting out a little bit or a lot on both sides that we'll never notice.

Of course I don't want to sound like this is the best thing for every film everry scene evey cut. If you can cut 4 minutes out of your fick and Norm can cut 15 out of his I could obviously cut and additional 24 seconds out of mine, but my film would plays better at 5 and some change rather than 5 minutes because it allows me to better pace some relationship scenes.

I just didn't want to rush these relationshippy scenes for the sake of rushing them. So while the above was a revaltion to me as opposed to just cutting it so "it looked right" or continous ... pacing is of course crucial ... you could apply the above in reverse and add time to a scene perhaps to create suspense by drawing something out, and add a few frames beyond perfect continuity in the cut of a guy picking up the telephone for exanple. But i think micromaniging the frames would have less of an impact in eleogating things as it does making them snappy, since there's a bid diffrenece in a 40 frame cut cut down to 30 frames but not as huge a difference in 10 frames shaved of a 6 or 7 second cut.

Just some stuff I'm thought about on this project.

Jack

Mike McNeese
05-27-2006, 08:18 AM
its teh first time I've done this rather than cutting when someone is almost out of the frame rather than having just crossed the left or right third

I'm in the same boat, Jack. I'm used to cutting docs and educational material where a clip might be up for a minute or so. I had to retrain myself to not feeling like I'm doing something wrong to have a clip up for only 8 frames or so. Weird for me, but a good lesson learned.

Larry Rutledge
05-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Mine actually came in under 5 minutes, so I took advantage of the few extra seconds and added a little back into a couple clips that were being cut short. Now with credits I'm at about 5:20

Well, I'm leaving in 15 minutes to go shoot my pick-ups...praying that the wind doesn't start up again. Last night it was so windy it sounded like a hurricane was blowing through (ok, I know a hurricane is really loud, but for those of us from California, a good strong wind sounds like a hurricane :) )

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's film...Good luck everyone :thumbsup:

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-27-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm in the same boat, Jack. I'm used to cutting docs and educational material where a clip might be up for a minute or so. I had to retrain myself to not feeling like I'm doing something wrong to have a clip up for only 8 frames or so. Weird for me, but a good lesson learned.
wow -- I don't think I've ever had a cut a minute long!

the other end of teh spectrum, if you watch MTV, the cuts are mostly less than a second long. Hard to count one, one thousand before something esle is on the screen.

Looks like my longest cut in my film is 17 seconds - which really surprised me, that's a good chunk of 5:25, most others are less than 6 seconds, with several as short as 9 frames long (look out Guy Ritchie :) )

Mike McNeese
05-27-2006, 09:13 AM
wow -- I don't think I've ever had a cut a minute long!

Ugh...tell me about it. So not creative, but it pays some bills.

Well, our movie is at 4:56. With a title screen it's 4:59. And with :10 of credits, I'm at 5:09.

Matt Sconce
05-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Yep, ours with credits is 4:54

Larry Rutledge
05-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Hot dog!!! It's a wrap :thumbsup:

I just extracted the footage and I am SO much happier than I was a week ago!!!

This film may work out after all :)

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-27-2006, 09:31 PM
I think you're saying you shot pickups and replaced the shots you weren't happy with with the new footage and now you're stoked. Way to keep working until its right for you :thumbsup:

and if I'm missing you completely ... then congrats on wrapping and extracting :cheesy: (sounds painful ... or like something from Briceman's 3k vid :grin:)

Larry Rutledge
05-27-2006, 11:08 PM
No, the first one is right...nothing at all as painful as a 3k vid from anyone :grin:

By the way, I hope you don't mind...I used your Odd Squad settings as the base settings in my shoot. :dankk2:

Peace out, homee!! :thumbsup:

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-27-2006, 11:10 PM
not at all that's what I posted em for mang ... !

I'm actually using clips of other DVXuser films in mine -- TC and Rezfactor (NBCShooter)'s zombie entries make cameo appearances :)

Brandon Rice
05-28-2006, 01:21 AM
Wow, it sounds like some awesome progress! I cannot wait to see all the films and I am sure the level of films are going to just be amazing this time around! Good luck to all!

Edgen
05-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Welp, I'm still in it.

I ended up getting a DVX camera on Friday Afternoon and after shooting the past two days by myself in between work, I think I have something that's worth showing. I've still gota do about 20+ FX green shots and compositing + Sound FX but that shouldnt' be too tough. Scoring it will be tricky, but I think I've got a good tone in mind.

*Edit*. Toll comes to 56 FX shots :) (I'm a frakin' retard for having so many)

So, wish me luck.. I'm definitely coming down to the wire on this one. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's film too!

/j

:costumed-smiley-047

Larry Rutledge
05-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Well, I just heard the intro cut from my composer...it was the "demonstration version" without any clean up done to it.... and it was AWESOME!!! :thumbsup:

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-28-2006, 01:16 PM
schweet

you'r gonna pwn us all this time Lare-bear. :cheesy:

Aaron Marshall
05-28-2006, 01:27 PM
hahaha lare bear, that's great!

Larry Rutledge
05-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Oh..no you didn't!!! My parents thought it was "cute" to call me Lar-Bear when I was a kid. And they went so far as to have a t-shirt made that had a picture of a bear and it said something like "bears are people too". And then it said Lar-Bear on the back.

Of course, they also made me wear a t-shirt that had a kid holding a sign which read, "Kid for rent, cheap". It's no wonder I turned out the way I did :grin:

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-28-2006, 02:22 PM
...It's no wonder I turned out the way I did :grin:

beat me to it :thumbsup:

Daniel Skubal
05-28-2006, 03:03 PM
haha poor larry.

Welp, we're probably going to be finishing up on shooting the 30th, possibly the 31st, so unless Jarred feels super generous and wants to add 3 weeks to the deadline, I'm going to have to bow out of the competition. No worries though, this has been a wonderful experience and although I'm not on the competitive frontline, I still look forward to viewing the entries and showing you guys the finished product once we finish. :)

Brandon Rice
05-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Can't wait to see it dude... and Larry, that's hillarious Lare-Bear... LOL!

Larry Rutledge
05-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Oh sure it's funny to you guys...that's cause you never had to endure the embarrasement. That ought to be worth an extra point in every category on my film just to help me feel better about myself :evil: :grin:

Brandon Rice
05-28-2006, 05:41 PM
yeah, I hear ya :) Well, I am certainly looking forward to your film L-man... (is that better?) :)

Larry Rutledge
05-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Oh, I'm jus' playin' ... ya'll can call me anything you want, just don't call me late to dinner :grin:

Brandon Rice
05-28-2006, 05:44 PM
haha... word! Well, you're my homie... so I'll call you the L-dawg! :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Anthem78
05-28-2006, 08:58 PM
We just finished sweetening up the score tonight, and I'm really happy with the way everything turned out.

Larry Rutledge
05-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Awesome!! :thumbsup: Don't burn out now, you're in the home stretch!!

Beat Takeshi
05-29-2006, 12:13 PM
I wanna start pimpin already!

Larry Rutledge
05-29-2006, 04:14 PM
I don't...I still have MUCH to do!! :crybaby:

snodart
05-29-2006, 04:31 PM
I wanna start pimpin already!

Hey, when can we start doing this by the way. After the 30th? Come on, help a first timer out.

Beat Takeshi
05-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Im guessing after the uploads are completed, but it would be cool to start tomorrow to build suspense.

Norm Sanders
05-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Suspense, ha. I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown & ready to just curl up into a fetal position for the next few days, sucking my thumb.

Never again will I put myself in this position ... not like I planned it, however. Being gone on travel for about a week & a half during post didn't help, and then having to take care of the entire family & be my wife's nurse over the past few days has been just about too much. I'm feverishly working audio right now, and PRAYING I can get a VFX savior to come through, as my guy with DVXuser has gone MIA.

Worst case, I just submit the 6 minute cut with ZERO FX, and then have them professionally done for the full cut after the fact.

Oh, and did I mention that one of the guys who showed up for ADR yesterday was completely wasted? Somehow, without me knowing it, he had drank an entire pint of 80% scotch behind my back. I don't mind of someone has a shot to take the nerves off, but come on! After the first few lines when he started slurring he tried to hide it ... then it was just useless. I sent him packing & he was able to miraculously sober up pretty well in a few hours, apologized & came back. Needless to say, I've got some KILLER BTS of our ADR sessions. Funny after the fact, but not at the time.

snodart
05-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Dang Envision, bumpy road. I hear you about the family part. Having one (and liking to see them) makes this thing a challenge. I haven't seen my kids in two days, and I'm a stay-at-home dad! Don't worry, my wife is with them.
:)
My brother-in-law is working his audio magic right now. I am scrambling to try and figure out the best way to compress this thing before tomorrow. I wish I knew what file size, resolution, format, etc will be required.
:huh:

Beat Takeshi
05-29-2006, 05:33 PM
I sent my final edit off the the composer and Im biting my nails waiting to see what he comes up with. While I do that Im also color correcting.
I had to shoot something today because I had no opening for the movie. Lucky MsManhattan came up with a kick ass idea this morning and I was able to implement it.

arielman
05-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Glad to see so many finished before the deadline .

Not us I'm afraid . My actor who did a no show 2 Sundays ago did apologies and firmly stated he would be there on Sunday (past) guess what he pulled a no show.
Soooo we did a substitute and that went really well .
But!! I must now re- film all the shots we did with this guy (no Show) .
Tomorrow is going to be hell for me trying to get this done .No time on Wed or Thurs , working.
I am off Fri>Sun , this will be my editing weekend . I think my girlfriend has made plans . Do you think she'll be upset?

As it stands our story no longer makes any sense , not that the others we did made any sense..lol.

We aren't giving up yet ..Although this is going to very difficult to finish .
Hope to be in the Fest.
Ian

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Im guessing after the uploads are completed, but it would be cool to start tomorrow to build suspense.

if its like last contest then not til after the films are actually up and running

Beat Takeshi
05-29-2006, 11:38 PM
I guess I cant show off my kick ass promo banner yet.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-29-2006, 11:46 PM
cool -- but can we do that when the fest starts? I don't think anyone's ever done that. Not that I'm against it. I did a banner in the style of my Sci Fi -- maybe that's what you mean.

I did this
http://www.frenchquarterfeatures.com/dhwebimate.gif

so it had the scifi meets 70's cop thing

but didn't explicitly promo my fim and same the name and all

have other peopple had banners just for their films and I missed it?

do we wanna do this this time?

might be fun ... I guess its legal, but seems on the edge.

Maybe we should start a poll thread.

-- Jack