PDA

View Full Version : Is this a scam?

artistiam
04-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I spoke with the rep today we didn't discuss prices but she sent me an app form and I NEVER heard of a film festival costing more then $75 dollar if not why so much money to submit?

Thanks!

Dear Filmmaker,

Welcome to the New York International Independent Film And Video Festival! We are the largest Indie Film Festival in the world. Founded in 1993 by Stuart Alson, The Festival is recognized by the film and entertainment industry as the leading film event on the Independent Festival Circuit. Presenting a tri-coastal for several years, we are now thrilled to introduce our fourth festival in the series, which premiered in Miami February 2004. We now showcase films in the four premiere entertainment capitals of the nation. The Festival features cinema from all around the globe, including films from England, Ireland, Spain, France, Argentina, Germany, Australia and Slovenia, and of course there are many films from the USA as well.

The Festival hosts 10-day screenings in NY, LA, MI & LV events. We showcase over 300 features, shorts, animations and documentaries. Each festival is fully publicized and attract huge audiences of filmgoers, industry representatives, major buyers for TV and film, as well as extensive media coverage in such outlets as Time Out, The New York Times, New York Post, Village Voice, Las Vegas Weekly, LA Weekly and the LA Times. Our Festival participants also have the opportunity to screen internationally at high-profile film markets such as Cannes, MIFED, AFM. and NAtPE. Filmmakers in the past have also participated in our "best selected films" which tour at the FIC Film Festival in Brasilia.

The festival in New York City is a 10-day event with an opening night gala! This event is an interactive extravaganza featuring a display of both film and art where the whole spectrum of the entertainment industry participates: Distributors, Production Companies, Record Labels, Casting and Modeling Agencies, along with the International Press Corps and Media. This is a great opportunity for Festival participants to promote their work and network with key people in the industry on the lookout for new faces and fresh talent. Representatives from Miramax, USA Pictures, Fine Line, Fox Searchlight, New Yorker Films, Killer Films, Lions
Gate, Paramount, Sony Classics and Cablevision are regular attendees.

Dates for the festivals:

New York May 2006
Los Angeles September 2006

Entry Fee as follows:
Shorts/documentary (60 minutes or less):
$300.00 (short films less than 60 minutes) for one City: NY, LA (Circle the State you want)
$600.00 (short films less than 60 minutes) for two Cities: NY, LA (Circle the States you want)

Features & Films (60 minutes or over):
$400.00 (features and films over 60 minutes) for one city: NY, LA (Circle the State you want)
$800.00 (features and films over 60 minutes) for two cities: NY, LA (Circle the States you want)

Screening locations for past festivals are as follows:

New York
Village East Cinemas, 181 2nd Avenue at 12th Street
Los Angeles
Laemmle Fairfax Theatre: 7907 Beverly Blvd (at Fairfax)
Raleigh Studios; 662 Van Ness Ave., Hollywood

The following is a list of films that have achieved success through exhibition at the Festival. Our purpose is help you - the film artist - to make the most of your screening and to create as much buzz and exposure for your work as possible.
After the Storm
The Good-bye Girl showed in our festival aired in TBS
Speedway Junkie showed in our festival distributed by Regent
Interview with an Assassin in video stores.
The Playaz Court showed in our festival and ditributed by Artisan
So Many Women, So Little Hair-short from our festival-HBO
Corrine Day Diary--BBC in Europe
RXMAS Abel Ferrara film Premiered in our festival and distributed by Artisan
The Smokers: audience award in all video stores and on cable
-Liberty Stands Still: Premiered in our Las vegas festival distributed by Lions Gate
in all video stores and on cable.
-The Persuit of Hapiness: in all video stores and on cable.
-Dead in The Water: video and cable.
The Butterfly Effect: The filmmakers first film Blunt premiered in our festival.
Speed For Thespians: Academy Award nominee for best live action short, 2002
- Lost in Perishing Point Hotel: Theatrical release in Los Angeles, 2002
- Adios Patria: Documentary narrated by Andy Garcia (PBS)
-Jane Doe: World Premiere. Best Picture. Distributed by Uniplex (starring Calista Flockhart)
-A Brooklyn State of Mind: Best Picture Distributed by Artisan Entertainment (starring: Danny Aiello
-New Rose Hotel New York Premiere Distributed by Lions Gate and Sterling Entertainment. (starring Christopher Walken and Willem Defoe - directed by Abel Ferrara)
-Tap water: Most Promising Maker Award - Distributed by Prescription Films.
-La Cucaracha, NY Premier - Distributed by Paramount (starring Eric Roberts: Best Actor Award)
-Desperate But Not Serious: World Premiere - Distributed by Franchise Pictures (Best Romantic Comedy: starring Claudia Schiffer)
-The Outfitters: World Premier Distributed by the Sundance Channel (starring Dana Delaney)
-Restaurant: Distributed by Palisades Pictures. Best Picture (starring Adrienne Brody, Elise Neil, Malcolm Jamal Warner and Lauren Hill)
-One Last Chance: Narrated by Lawrence Fishburne (Aired on PBS)
-Tannebess: Short film aired on BET and Showtime
-Amy Stiller's Breast: Distributed by Pop.com (starring Ben Stiller)
-Kings: Short Film Aired on B ET. and Showtime
-Blink Of The Eye: World Premier, Best Feature/Best Director (Filmmaker signed by the Gersh Agency)
-Kings Of Zero: Best Screenplay (Produced by ITN)
-Travis: Documentary about a young boy with AIDS (aired on PBS)
-Timothy Leary/Last Trip Documentary: Distributed by Fox Lorber
-Sordid Lives: Feature Film Picked Regent (Gods monsters)
-Just For The Time Being: (NY premiere) Theatrical release for this feature directed by NY award winner Gil Brenton and starring Eva Herzigova Now distributed world-wide By ITN Distribution
-A Packing Suburbia (NY Premiere) Theatrical Release in New York, LA and Canada directed by NY award winner Stephen J. Szklarski
-Malavana: Winner Best Photography NYIIFVF 2002; Winner Best International Feature NYIIFVF 2002; picked up by Minerva Pictures Group
-When Thugs Cry: picked up by HawkFilms
-Our Burden is Light: picked up by RGH/Lions Share Pictures
-Soap Girl: Winner Audience Award 2002 Big Bear Lake Int'l Film Festival; Winner Official Selection award 2003 Riverside Int'l Film Festival; picked up by Leapfrog Productions
-Swimming Upstream: Winner Best Dramatic Feature at Angelciti Film Festival; picked up by RGH/Lions Share Productions; assoc. Media Entertainment
-Hope, Gloves, and Redemption: Winner Grand Jury Prize for Documentary at 2001 NYIIFVF; Winner Best Cinematography at 2001 NYIIFVF; picked up by RGH/Lions Share Pictures
-Ocean Park: Winner Best Feature at NYIIFVF; Winner Best Actor at NYIIFVF; picked up by Echelon Entertainment; assoc. Surf Digital Films
-Follow Me Outside: picked up by Cinemavault Releasing
-No Deposit, No Return: *Best Feature Film* (2000 NYIIFVF)- RGH/Lions Share Pictures; assoc. Cravin Entertainment, inc.
-SF: *Grand Festival Award* (Berkeley Film Festival)*Feature Film Winner* (Telluride Indiefest) *Selected Feature* (Bangkok Film Festival) *Selected Feature* (NY Indie Festival) - RGH/Lions Share Pictures; assoc. Sheng Dynasty Productions
-If Tomorrow Comes: RGH/Lions Share Pictures; assoc. Fatty Pictures
-Wannabes: picked up by Artison; available in Blockbuster and other Stores; NYIIFVS award displayed on back of DVD &VHS. Film makers recently finished new film SEARCHING FOR ROBERT DENIRO.
-Big Apple: distributed by ITN distribution; Sold Internationally to Germany at Cannes film market
-The Jar and Fables of Bahyavah: Distributed by ITN distribution; Sold animation internationally to Yugoslavia at Cannes market 2003
-Zombie Planet picked up by Academy Entertainment

All applicants are notified within one week if they have been accepted into our Festival. Participants whose work is unaccepted will receive a full refund, an in-depth critique of their work, recommendations for other festival competitions plus two V.I.P. event passes worth. These passes allow the bearer entry into the Opening Gala Film Market and entry into our festival screenings in New York or LA, and permit access to all post-screening parties! Please submit a VHS DVD or PAL screening copy of your film registration form (see below); synopsis/biography and press kit (if available). Make check or money order or wire transfer details see below (US dollars) payable to the NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL INDEPENDENT FILM AND VIDEO FESTIVAL. The mailing address is 505 E. Windmill Lane Suite 1B-102 Las Vegas, NV 89123

Registration Form:

Title of Project:__________________________________________ ______________________

Director: __________________________________________________ ___________________

Producer(s):______________________________________ ____________________________

Production Company:__________________________________________ _________________

Address___________________________________________ ___________________________

__________________________________________________ __________________________

City state zip: __________________________________________________ ______________

Country:__________________________________________ ____________________________

Home Phone:____________________________________________ _____________________

Work Phone:____________________________________________ ______________________

Fax:______________________________________________ ____________________________

Email:____________________________________________ ____________________________

FOOTAGE: # of Reels ___ Date Film Completed:_______

In English ___ Subtitled___

GENRE: Action___ Drama___ Children ___ Comedy___ Romantic___ Horror___ Thriller ____ Experimental ___Fiction ___ Non- Fiction___ Other________________

CATEGORY: Feature_____ Documentary____ Short Subject____ Animation_____Music Video

FORMAT: 35mm_____ 16mm_____ Digital Video_____ Beta SP_____

SCREENING FORMAT: _____________

RUNNING TIME: __________________

Was this project submitted to other festival(s)? Yes___ No___
(If yes, which festival(s)?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________
Has your film won any awards? Yes____ No_______ (if yes, please list below)
Award Festival
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________
Do you have any completed short/feature length screenplays that have not yet been produced ? Yes_____No_____(if yes, please list below)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

How were you introduced to us? Friend____ Filmmaker ____ Mail _____ Internet_______ Ad___ Name of Magazine/Paper__________________

Please write a brief "Tagline" style synopsis (write clearly as this may be used for the official festival brochure):
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Please attach biography and filmography of director as well as cast list and credits.

Will you be attending the festival? Yes _____ No____

This application is for NY May 2006___ Los Angeles September 2006___

NYIIFVF Representative Olga Sobol

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

GENERAL RELEASE

I indemnify and hold harmless the New York Int'l Independent Film & Festival against any and all claims resulting from public display of my entry. I grant permission to have portions of this work reproduced for publicity purposes in connection with this festival. Although every precaution will be made, the Festival cannot be responsible for loss, damage, or return of the entries. I understand that I am responsible for shipping costs of all materials. I hereby guarantee that I am the owner of this work and have authority to grant permission for the above. I understand that if my work is not accepted, I will receive a full refund. I further understand that due to the amount of work preparing for the festivals and rentals of theaters there are no refunds for any other reason.

Sign here: ________________________Print name: ___________

alveraz
04-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Holy crap, that's expensive, and double holy crap for the longest post ever.

Owen
04-10-2006, 09:23 PM
It's not unheard of... I used to do some work for the Peabody Awards and I think entry into those is about $400. They offer grants that potential entrants can apply for, so maybe there's something like that available for this festival?

scharky
04-10-2006, 11:40 PM
and it does say that if the film is not accepted you recieve a full refund, plus a critique, wich is a very nice offer.

pheboglobi
04-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Don't ever pay $300 to enter your film in a festival, guaranteed or otherwise, that's pretty ridiculous.

Do a search on the internet and you will find some interesting articles about this particular festival. Basically, they won't stop at asking you for just a few hundred dollars, and oh yeah, scheduling and screening your film? You have to arrange that yourself.

I'll see if I can find that link, but in the meantime, you are better off spending your money on something else.

Garrett

Barry_Green
04-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Very, very, very well-known outfit. I strongly advise that you do your research on this one.

Basically, if you can't get accepted anywhere else in the world, NYIIFVF will accept you. So the only films that pay that fee are the ones that no other festival in the world would take. So -- you can imagine how well-respected and well-attended it is... IndieWire wrote a scathing piece on them a few years ago.

And once you sign up for their exorbitant "entry fee", then they descend upon you to sell you more more more -- you want to be in our brochure, right? You want a booth, right? You want us to take you to Cannes, right? Just keep shelling out the thousands and thousands...

... and in the end, what will you get for all this?

Entry in a "festival" that no credible acquisition exec will attend because they all know that the only films in this "festival" are the ones that couldn't get accepted in any other, right?

Well, anyway, do your due diligence, and especially try to find that old IndieWire article, or look up the volumes of information written up on this outfit (and "AngelCiti") over on indieclub.com.

Barry_Green
04-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Ah, intriguing -- while I was typing, Garrett wrote in to say basically the exact same thing...

pheboglobi
04-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Here's one article:

http://www.dvformat.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=20366

Garrett

Brandon Rice
04-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Yeah, familiar with this one... it's a ripoff!

TimurCivan
04-11-2006, 01:06 AM
haha.. my friend Won the Heeb Film festival in London. Then he got invited to this. Heeb Paid for it so he put it in, but it was Awful. 3 of the filmmakers didint even show up to their own screening.

But Max(my freind)'s Film was actually quite excellent. The film that won, was a animation, made in MAya by newbies, which BTW was AWful... but it was Computer generated, so it won... So lame. Oh well he Works directly for the Weinstein Brothers now... so it paid off or him in the end.

NoahK
04-11-2006, 01:55 AM
Embarrasing. Shameful. Arrogant. It's all of this and more!

Talbot
02-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Response....
NO! THIS IS NOT A SCAM!
Re: The New York International Independent Film and Video Festival
Hi my name is Talbot Perry Simons and my film “Still the Drums” appeared in the 2009 New York International Independent Film and Video Festival in Los Angeles and in their New York Fall festival.
When I was first accepted into the festival I did some research and googled it to see what kind of write ups it had received. I found some negative press and some positive press. I thought the entry fee was high compared to most, but promised to return my entry fee if I was not accepted. I didn’t want my money back I wanted the opportunity to screen my film at a festival and here was the opportunity to do that in both New York and in Los Angeles. Perfect for me! I grew up in New York and still have family and friends there and I live in Los Angeles. I remember that there was one write up caught my eye over all of the others. This particular filmmaker said he was happy that he got to screen his movie at a theater in New York and the festival was a great experience and he felt he made the best of it that he possibly could and that is how I decide to proceed. I planned on making the best of the opportunity that I could and I did just that. Personally I found everyone that worked for the festival from Stuart Alson the festival director on down to everyone I came in contact with were complete professionals and all very good at what they do. Anything I asked or needed was attended to immediately and always to my satisfaction. There were a couple of bumps in the road in finding a place for the party afterwards because my screening were both on a Saturday night, but when the screening night arrived everything was in place and went off excellently well. I was happy and proud of it all. Now I’m not saying this because I won some awards. I already have those so at this time I could say what ever I wanted to and I’m telling any filmmaker that if you get accepted and have the opportunity to screen your movie or documentary or short in the New York International Independent Film and Video Festival I wouldn’t hesitate. I would jump on it immediately!
Visit my website for my movie "Still the Drums" at http://www.stillthedrums.com (http://www.stillthedrums.com)
View the TRAILER on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef-tAaEinOc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef-tAaEinOc)
Read the write up in February 2010 MovieMaker Magazine at
http://www.moviemaker.com/directing/article/talbot_perry_simons_still_the_drums_20100112/ (http://www.moviemaker.com/directing/article/talbot_perry_simons_still_the_drums_20100112/)

J.R. Hudson
02-11-2010, 07:47 PM
I just watched your trailer and thought of this post

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=511887&postcount=6

Rodney V. Smith
02-11-2010, 08:48 PM
So much for disproving the truth. Way to go Talbot.

That was sarcasm by the way.

Sean Jeong
02-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow the voice over just made me laugh. I can't believe somebody actually gave this a good review. Good going Josh Elmets of MovieMaker Magazine. Now I know not to read there stuff.

bosindy
02-11-2010, 10:40 PM
oh that trailer is priceless, well done.

MeAgain
02-11-2010, 10:50 PM
I want to see this. Please dear god where I can I see this whole movie.

Jackson Miller
02-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Did any of you guys see the guy who posted his birds remake thing over at cinema 5d? Lol. Some feature film about birds attacking hollywood. The trailer for this guys was almost as bad as that.

Jackson Miller
02-11-2010, 11:43 PM
found it lol:

http://www.birdemic.com/home.html
http://www.movieheadpictures.com/BIRDEMIC-TheResurrection.html

J.R. Hudson
02-12-2010, 12:31 AM
WTF ?

There's no way that's real !

I give up

Fuck it

J.R. Hudson
02-12-2010, 12:33 AM
OMG

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316037/

1.8/10 IMDB

Kill me now

bosindy
02-12-2010, 12:41 AM
The birds movie might be real BUT was Charlie Chaplin's 58 year old world record broken and surpassed? I think not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef-tAaEinOc

MeAgain
02-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Birdemic.

I don't fault the guy who made Birdemic, only those who helped him. And I can barely get any help on my movie.

ChipG
02-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Ha ha ha. Good times!

Huy Vu
02-12-2010, 03:47 AM
Whoa,, Birdemic was actually sold and might get a limited theatrical release

http://vimeo.com/9082600

"When rejected for an official screening slot at Sundance, Nguyen spent eight days driving up and down the festival’s nearby streets in a van covered with fake birds, frozen blood and BIRDEMIC posters, while loudspeakers blared the sounds of eagle attacks and human screams. The tactic caught the attention of festival organizers, filmgoers and local police, as well as executives from Severin Films."

You guys better get this guy to promote your next feature.

MattinSTL
02-12-2010, 06:34 AM
This thread reminds me of the one where we were talking about why so many of us offer no input on many festival entries... The drums thing... is unbelievably confident for the net result. You couldn't script that level of confidence... that trailer could seriously WIN Betrayalfest... watching the exit pole everybody's mind was blown... then... mine was next.

*wiping drool off chin and wondering if I'll ever be the same*

ilauzirika
02-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Whoa,, Birdemic was actually sold and might get a limited theatrical release

http://vimeo.com/9082600

"When rejected for an official screening slot at Sundance, Nguyen spent eight days driving up and down the festival’s nearby streets in a van covered with fake birds, frozen blood and BIRDEMIC posters, while loudspeakers blared the sounds of eagle attacks and human screams. The tactic caught the attention of festival organizers, filmgoers and local police, as well as executives from Severin Films."

You guys better get this guy to promote your next feature.

That guy knows the biz! hahaha. At least he had the guts to go out there make it and market it! now i hope he pays back all the effort people put into it!

Dingos8mybaby
02-12-2010, 07:53 AM
RE: Still the Drums Trailer

No wonder the film was awesome... it had George C. Scott in it!

David W. Richardson
02-12-2010, 10:17 AM
This gives me an idea for the next Fest....

How about a Fest where you try to make the best AWFUL film you can?

MattinSTL
02-12-2010, 10:46 AM
I think that's a BRILLIANT IDEA!

Let's call it "CheeseFest"... and the requirement should be at least one fake mustache.

Kirk Gillock
02-12-2010, 10:52 AM
It's already been pointed out that this outfit isn't legit (i.e. selling awards). But if you require a little more proof, look no further than their list of "winners."

http://nyfilmvideo.info/2009-festival-awards/2009-festival-awards-new-york-october.htm

Look at all those different awards they give out; Best Comedy, Best Drama, Best Comedy-Drama, Best Thriller, Best Suspense, Best Urban (wtf?), etc. By the looks of it, every film that paid to be in the festival receives some kind of an award. Which means, their awards are comparable to that of a child receiving a "Participant Award" just for showing up.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/01/participant_award.jpg

I'm not saying "Still the Drums" doesn't deserve an award. I haven't seen it so I can't really judge, but "IF" they are giving awards to every film entered, then there's no "real" value to their awards. It's all fluff and no content. Not only that, but each time the filmmakers mention "WINNER: BEST FEATURE NYIFF" there should be a giant asterisk*.

On the other end of the spectrum, DVXuser has festivals which require NO fees to enter. Best of all, the winners get respect. Not because they bought it, but because they earned it. And no amount of fake camera flashes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXJpQGjjNGg) can distract from that reality.

Talbot - I suggest you enter your film into more legitimate festivals and stop giving money to people who devalue film festivals and film festival awards.

EDIT: Sign me up for CheeseFest! I can make a worst film better than all of you!! :thumbsup:

Dave ©
02-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Hey we'd be giving this movie the "DVXUser bump". Are we sure we want to do that? Popularity meter on IMDB will go through the roof becasue of our actions!

Too late. Popularity is up >400% already!

Dave ©
02-12-2010, 11:00 AM
And, no, I don't want in! Can't take that much excitement.

Sean Jeong
02-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Oh god birdemic is up 458% in imdb and have you seen the user reviews for this film and still the drums. It's hilarious how much appraisal they both get. Either they haven't seen a movie in their lives or we don't know what we're doing on this forum.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1134672/usercomments
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316037/usercomments

bosindy
02-12-2010, 04:57 PM
from what I have seen, "Still the Drums" definitely has "The Room" potential. Talbot better have this out on DVD asap and ride the wave. I think he could sell several hundred units just on dvxuser.

Sean Jeong
02-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Seriously I wouldn't mind parting with a few bucks just to see how "good" these films are. Someone should make a dvd boxed collection of them. With commentary and everything.

Barry_Green
02-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Oh god birdemic is up 458% in imdb and have you seen the user reviews for this film and still the drums. It's hilarious how much appraisal they both get. Either they haven't seen a movie in their lives or we don't know what we're doing on this forum.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1134672/usercomments
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316037/usercomments
Well, the "Still The Drums" reviews are obviously Talbot and his friends/cast/crew (notice, the only film in the entire IMDB they bothered to review/comment on was "Still The Drums"...), but the "Birdemic" review is attempting to weave a new standard in sarcasm.

Blue_Food
02-12-2010, 07:37 PM
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=154749

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GIVING CRITICISM AND DOING SOMETHING ELSE:
There’s no such thing as overly critical. But there is such a thing as rude.

If your criticism is peppered with “worst film ever” “the dumbest” “the most retarded” “absolutely atrocious” “completely horrible” “what the hell were you thinking dumbass?” Then you are probably coming from a less than constructive place, and not showing the proper respect for a real filmmaker, i.e. anyone that gets up of their Dunder and Miffilin and actually goes out and makes a film – we all know what an achievement that is and it warrants respect, lots of it.

Lots of hyperbole and negative adjectives, particularly absolutes like worst, and dumbest ever, are probably neither accurate nor necessary.

BE SPECIFIC
So you thought it sucked. Why? Saying you thought it sucked in no way helps the filmmaker or promotes an interesting discussion. If you just say it sucked how will they know what to fix next time? Try and offer information as to where, what and why: what specific elements at what moments, and why did they not work.

I hate to be a party-pooper, but… this thread seems an awful lot like bullying to me.

I don’t see any reason to believe that Turbot is spamming on behalf of the NYIIFVF.

I think he’s just a guy who spent 14 years working on a project close to his heart, paid for a vanity-screening (which he described as the ‘greatest night of [his] life’), and who has, I imagine, just had his feelings crushed by several pages of relentless – not-exactly-constructive – p*ss-taking.

So the NYIIFVF are basically an indie-film equivalent of a vanity-publishing co. - and, yes, potential submitters should probably be made aware of that fact in the first place – but does that really make it okay to s**t on a 50+ year-old guy’s moment of glory, when he’s just spent close to a decade-and-a half completing a feature-film?

I’m not someone who generally tends to be ‘offended’ on behalf of other people, but personally, I just find this thread to be rather uncomfortable and cruel.

DP

HorseFilms
02-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Dude, my movies are sh*t, too. The difference is... I don't pass them off as award-winning masterpieces. If I did, I'd deserve to get my ass kicked here, too.

Rodney V. Smith
02-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Dude, my movies are sh*t, too. The difference is... I don't pass them off as award-winning masterpieces. If I did, I'd deserve to get my ass kicked here, too.

I don't think I could have said it better myself.

Edit: about the passing them off as masterpieces that it.

Barry_Green
02-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Blue Food, I can see exactly where you're coming from. And normally I would agree with you. And I think I do this time too, but -- gotta rant my justification first.

The problem I have here is with a "festival" that extorts massive amounts of money from gullible, desperate people, then slaps "awards" on their pictures. It's dishonest from top to bottom. Every single aspect of what happens here reeks of dishonesty.

It's not the filmmaker's fault. He worked hard to create something he thought was good. But instead of getting a realistic assessment of what he's done, now we have a guy who's unfairly, artificially, and one might even say nefariously, had his ego inflated, and he's understandably running with it, and he really, honestly has no idea how good (or bad) his picture is, because he's been propped up by a "festival" which has taken his money and told him whatever he wanted to hear.

I don't think he came here to "spam" in "defense" of the "festival", but he brought his work here as an example of how legitimate he felt that organization is.

Normally I think I'd be taking your side on this. And if I was thinking clearly, I probably would. And, by the end of this, I think I will. But, just try to understand...

I just get sick to my stomach by the high-pressure, offensive nature of how this "festival" operates. They push you for a $300 (or more!) festival fee, and they prey on the desperate filmmakers who've failed to get into any other legitimate festivals, and who are gasping for recognition. But instead of coming to an honest reckoning of the state of their work, this organization takes advantage of their emotional state by guaranteeing them acceptance (but only if they fork over the $300 entry fee) and then they start pressuring them to spend $1,000 or $3,000 or $5,000 or $10,000 for exhibition space, a booth, things like that.

It's cruel. What they do is, in my opinion, cruel. They get people whose films frankly aren't very good, and they fill them with false hope while taking their money, and then they push them to spend thousands more to "market" a film that in all actuality has little to no potential whatsoever. Having an unmarketable film is pretty much a prerequisite for even deciding to enter the a fest like this, because with such an exorbitant entry fee, any reasonable filmmaker would send their pic to 10 or 20 regular festivals, for the cost of entry to this one.

Did you watch the trailer posted? You should. The filmmaker is proudly crowing about winning six awards, claiming that this film is breaking Charlie Chaplin's record of the most awards won for one person for one film. Is it worthy of such accolades? Watch the trailer and decide for yourself. So where on earth did he get this idea? From the "festival" telling him anything and everything he wanted to hear, as long as he paid their fees.

Filmmakers need HONEST feedback. Not harsh criticism, and even far more damaging is the BS praise of family, friends, and organizations like this "fest". They set him up, they flat-out set him up to be royally embarrassed, and it's cruel.

Sooner or later, all these filmmakers will hear the real truth. They'll hear how good (or bad) their picture is. And for those who've made terrible pictures, it's going to be a sickening, gut-churning, horrible nauseating feeling to realize that they've made complete asses of themselves. Trust me, I've been there and done that. I invited hundreds of people (including the frickin' Mayor!) to a screening of my first disastrous horrible awful picture, because I was so sure it was great and everybody said so. When the ga-ga was pulled off my eyes and I realized just how bad it really was (and oh, it was!) I wanted to crawl away and disappear and never, ever see any of those people again.

Sure wish one of them would have had the cojones to tell me how bad the thing was before I went that far.

So I had no desire to denigrate the filmmaker or his work, what I wanted to show was how that organization occupies what I consider a low, greedy, vile and destructive position on the food chain, preying on those who have nowhere else to turn.

But you are correct, I didn't take this human being's feelings into account, and he isn't the perp here. He's a victim, and he shouldn't be further victimized. And whether I meant well or not, I have caused harm, and I apologize for that.

MattinSTL
02-12-2010, 09:35 PM
So does anybody watch American Idol?

There are some damn good singers that don't get put on the show because the judges don't know what they're talking about...

The best part of the show is when somebody boasts that they're the best singer in the world... isn't even close... and then arrogantly leaves knowing that they really ARE great, don't need to work on anything, and they got shafted in the audition process.

I'm sorry for taking this off-topic... that had nothing to do with this thread...

Back on topic... I do think it's important to consider a person's feelings... but I think the nature of the "criticism" is borderline justified based on the "world's best" claims of the submission.

Kirk Gillock
02-12-2010, 09:50 PM
What happened to my post? It was posted around 11:40am, relevant to the topic, and is now gone.

HorseFilms
02-12-2010, 09:59 PM
It looks like a couple of pages were cut from this thread. Your post was likely collateral damage, because I don't remember you ever saying anything that crossed the line... ever.

Kirk Gillock
02-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks, Horse.

The post I wrote wasn't disrespectful to Talbot because I clearly stated that I hadn't seen his film, so I couldn't judge it. Most of my comments were directed at NYIFF and other "paid award" programs. The post contained facts, proof, and comparisons to other festivals. It was constructive and informative. If it offended any one I wish the mod, or person who was offended, would contact me and explain why. That way I can learn from my mistakes, instead of just wonder what happened to a post I worked 3 hours creating. Especially when there are some really hurtful posts still remaining in this topic.

bosindy
02-13-2010, 12:24 AM
Talbot found himself in the unfortunate position of defending something that we all revile. Couple that with the arrogance of his trailer, contrasted with its quality, he became an easy target to be sure.

ChipG
02-13-2010, 12:31 AM

I hate to be a party-pooper, but… this thread seems an awful lot like bullying to me.

I don’t see any reason to believe that Turbot is spamming on behalf of the NYIIFVF.

I think he’s just a guy who spent 14 years working on a project close to his heart, paid for a vanity-screening (which he described as the ‘greatest night of [his] life’), and who has, I imagine, just had his feelings crushed by several pages of relentless – not-exactly-constructive – p*ss-taking.

So the NYIIFVF are basically an indie-film equivalent of a vanity-publishing co. - and, yes, potential submitters should probably be made aware of that fact in the first place – but does that really make it okay to s**t on a 50+ year-old guy’s moment of glory, when he’s just spent close to a decade-and-a half completing a feature-film?

I’m not someone who generally tends to be ‘offended’ on behalf of other people, but personally, I just find this thread to be rather uncomfortable and cruel.

DP

Ohh god, just when the IMDB ratings are going through the roof you pull this.

FYI I wish you could hear what my empoyees say about me!

ChipG
02-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Blue Food, I can see exactly where you're coming from. And normally I would agree with you. And I think I do this time too, but -- gotta rant my justification first.

The problem I have here is with a "festival" that extorts massive amounts of money from gullible, desperate people, then slaps "awards" on their pictures. It's dishonest from top to bottom. Every single aspect of what happens here reeks of dishonesty.

It's not the filmmaker's fault. He worked hard to create something he thought was good. But instead of getting a realistic assessment of what he's done, now we have a guy who's unfairly, artificially, and one might even say nefariously, had his ego inflated, and he's understandably running with it, and he really, honestly has no idea how good (or bad) his picture is, because he's been propped up by a "festival" which has taken his money and told him whatever he wanted to hear.

I don't think he came here to "spam" in "defense" of the "festival", but he brought his work here as an example of how legitimate he felt that organization is.

Normally I think I'd be taking your side on this. And if I was thinking clearly, I probably would. And, by the end of this, I think I will. But, just try to understand...

I just get sick to my stomach by the high-pressure, offensive nature of how this "festival" operates. They push you for a $300 (or more!) festival fee, and they prey on the desperate filmmakers who've failed to get into any other legitimate festivals, and who are gasping for recognition. But instead of coming to an honest reckoning of the state of their work, this organization takes advantage of their emotional state by guaranteeing them acceptance (but only if they fork over the $300 entry fee) and then they start pressuring them to spend $1,000 or $3,000 or $5,000 or $10,000 for exhibition space, a booth, things like that.

It's cruel. What they do is, in my opinion, cruel. They get people whose films frankly aren't very good, and they fill them with false hope while taking their money, and then they push them to spend thousands more to "market" a film that in all actuality has little to no potential whatsoever. Having an unmarketable film is pretty much a prerequisite for even deciding to enter the a fest like this, because with such an exorbitant entry fee, any reasonable filmmaker would send their pic to 10 or 20 regular festivals, for the cost of entry to this one.

Did you watch the trailer posted? You should. The filmmaker is proudly crowing about winning six awards, claiming that this film is breaking Charlie Chaplin's record of the most awards won for one person for one film. Is it worthy of such accolades? Watch the trailer and decide for yourself. So where on earth did he get this idea? From the "festival" telling him anything and everything he wanted to hear, as long as he paid their fees.

Filmmakers need HONEST feedback. Not harsh criticism, and even far more damaging is the BS praise of family, friends, and organizations like this "fest". They set him up, they flat-out set him up to be royally embarrassed, and it's cruel.

Sooner or later, all these filmmakers will hear the real truth. They'll hear how good (or bad) their picture is. And for those who've made terrible pictures, it's going to be a sickening, gut-churning, horrible nauseating feeling to realize that they've made complete asses of themselves. Trust me, I've been there and done that. I invited hundreds of people (including the frickin' Mayor!) to a screening of my first disastrous horrible awful picture, because I was so sure it was great and everybody said so. When the ga-ga was pulled off my eyes and I realized just how bad it really was (and oh, it was!) I wanted to crawl away and disappear and never, ever see any of those people again.

Sure wish one of them would have had the cojones to tell me how bad the thing was before I went that far.

So I had no desire to denigrate the filmmaker or his work, what I wanted to show was how that organization occupies what I consider a low, greedy, vile and destructive position on the food chain, preying on those who have nowhere else to turn.

But you are correct, I didn't take this human being's feelings into account, and he isn't the perp here. He's a victim, and he shouldn't be further victimized. And whether I meant well or not, I have caused harm, and I apologize for that.

I'm confused now, is he in or out?

ChipG
02-13-2010, 12:49 AM
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1892585&postcount=24

Rick Meyer
02-13-2010, 09:54 AM
WTF ?

There's no way that's real !

I give up

poo poo it

LMAO! I'm crying here...

J.R. Hudson
02-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Blue_Food

DP

This would be the approach used at the grade school level of life.

Everyone's a winner. Everyone gets a prize. Everyone gets to play. There is no loser, etc etc etc .....

So it's okay for everyone to tear apart the mainstream Hollywood movies, but for this person, it is not okay ?

Come on Blue Food.

All fair in love and film, right ?

-

If that Trailer was good, we'd all be geeking on it. It looks very very bad.

Maybe next time we'll lie and just say "Wow ... great job!" or "Congrats!"

Sigh

Rodney V. Smith
02-13-2010, 10:47 AM
That's the thing I don't get... if it was good we would indeed have been geeking out or at least going "holy shit! I'm so impressed." It's one thing to watch a bad film and try to be objective about it... but when the filmmaker is crowing about how great it is... that is a different matter. And the fact that this "festival" is just building him up and taking his money... that doesn't sit right with any of us. In a festival or a competition you EARN the right to crow about how great your film is. Dude hasn't earned anything and especially if this is the only festival who would accept his work... but only becasue he had to pay them to do it. He might as well have save dhis money and gone and bought himself a replica Oscar statue.

Loki
02-13-2010, 06:46 PM
funny thing is.. a buddy of mine fronted the cash to go to this piece of sh*t festival... everything mentioned about the upsell is accurate and also the empty screenings..

there is something to be said when the big credible festivals are only charging $25-$35 an entry.

ChipG
02-14-2010, 01:50 AM
Wait a minute, I think we (or I) need to watch the movie before we (or I) judge it.

spidey
02-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Wow that was amazing. still the drums should be up for oscars.

Stephen Mick
02-25-2010, 07:43 PM
I've been looking for a movie that would inspire me in the way Transylmania did a few months back, and I may have found it…

BIRDEMIC: Shock and Terror

I give you the trailer for what looks like a wonderfully-hilarious and perversely awful film…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnNvBucoNSY&feature=player_embedded#

I've got tickets for Tuesday's screening at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, and will post a full review afterwards at FilmEveryDay.

--SM

Rodney V. Smith
02-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Stephen no! You've suffered much on our behalf so far. No need to take it to this level. For god sakes man: they have BIRDS!!

ChipG
02-26-2010, 12:36 AM
45k views on youtube, could be a winner!

Blaine
02-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Stephen no! You've suffered much on our behalf so far. No need to take it to this level. For god sakes man: they have BIRDS!!Perhaps he's a masochist. :happy:

Stephen Mick
02-26-2010, 10:35 AM
You know, I never would have even looked in this thread, except that it looked like I responded to it, but I don't remember ever doing that. Seems my "BIRDEMIC" thread was moved here, which is cool, but can we change the title of the thread to at least include the film title?

Anyway, listen, I'm not a masochist, though it's easy to see how one could make that assumption. But when a film screens at the Alamo Drafthouse, complete with filmmaker Q&A afterwards and costumes and props from the film in the lobby, well, how could I not go!?!

So, if you have questions you'd like me to ask the folks behind BIRDEMIC, let me know. I'll do my best to get the straight poop.

Gary Huff
02-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I'd like you to ask the filmmakers how it feels to be completely devoid of any talent...

Stephen Mick
02-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Tell you what, you live in Austin, buy a ticket and you can ask them that yourself.

Barry_Green
02-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Any chance it'll be screening there around SXSW-time?

Rodney V. Smith
02-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Isn't SXSW in Austin? If I was him, I;d claim afterward that it showed AT SXSW if I could book it the same weekend. Kind of a "Special showing" type of thing. Major spin. After all, he'll probably be driving around with his car that has birds stuck on it inviting people to the screening... so technically...

Stephen Mick
02-26-2010, 11:36 AM
This thread has certainly been interesting reading. It makes me wonder why it matters so much to some whether or not this guy thinks his film is good or not. All that really "matters" in the grand scheme of things is that the result of his effort pleases him, not us. He can say anything he wants about his film and how great it is, I'll still go see it (and review it, naturally).

But the fact is, horrendous movie or new B-movie classic, his film is being screened at the best theater in town on Tuesday. Good for him, however it got there.

Gary Huff
02-26-2010, 12:18 PM
That's nothing, you can pay to get your film in the Alamo. I saw one at the Alamo in San Antonio that was pure shit (only went for a friend who was a part of it).

Stephen Mick
02-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Maybe, but that's not why this film is playing at the Alamo.

Gary Huff
02-26-2010, 12:24 PM
I just checked it out...it's being played as a "joke film", a film that's so bad it's good.

Great if it works for you. Trailer bored me.

Stephen Mick
02-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Yeah, every now and then I go to the theater to be entertained. Imagine that.

http://blog.originalalamo.com/2010/02/25/why-is-everyone-talking-about-birdemic/

Gary Huff
02-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Hey that's just super dooper awesome for you!

I'm just not entertained by that kind of film.

Stephen Mick
02-26-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm pretty sure you've established that already. Sorry I won't see you at the screening Tuesday!

ChipG
02-26-2010, 12:43 PM
I had no idea this is the movie Patton Oswalt has been so disgracefully pimping (with a big smile on his face) until I read the above link. Ha ha ha, I heard somthing about it a while back. My co-producer on a current project produced a movie with Patton in it a few years ago, we all lived at the local pub, funny guy. I'm sure he's going to start to promote it as a bet lost with a buddy, bought rights for $1 and am going to turn it into the next Paramormal and it might work with the comedy angle.

Ha ha ha, good times!

Stephen Mick
03-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Just got back from the Alamo, and tonight's screening of BIRDEMIC: Shock and Terror.

Words are difficult to summon right now, but I will post a review tomorrow…

…along with an exclusive interview with director James Nguyen!

Rodney V. Smith
03-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Stephen you are the MAN!. You suffered! You survived! And you scored an interview with the director. Youre my personal hero*!

*not really, but saying that shoudl make you feel good enough about yourself to suffer through another horrible movie at our expenase and for our own horrible amusement

Stephen Mick
03-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Review has been posted. You can read it here…

http://www.filmeveryday.com/

Is BIRDEMIC, by all normal guidelines, a "bad" movie? Sure. But I found it far more entertaining than, say, Alvin & The Chipmunks or even the should-have-been-aborted remake of Planet of the Apes.

I was thoroughly entertained. I laughed so hard tears flowed. I left the theater with admiration for a director who could manage to accomplish both of those things.

So, to me, BIRDEMIC: Shock and Terror is a great movie, and destined to be a cult classic.

I'm uploading my interview with the director now and will post a link here shortly.

--SM

Rodney V. Smith
03-03-2010, 12:40 PM
****stunned silence****

Review has been posted. You can read it here…

http://www.filmeveryday.com/

Is BIRDEMIC, by all normal guidelines, a "bad" movie? Sure. But I found it far more entertaining than, say, Alvin & The Chipmunks or even the should-have-been-aborted remake of Planet of the Apes.

I was thoroughly entertained. I laughed so hard tears flowed. I left the theater with admiration for a director who could manage to accomplish both of those things.

So, to me, BIRDEMIC: Shock and Terror is a great movie, and destined to be a cult classic.

I'm uploading my review with the director now and will post a link here shortly.

--SM

Barry_Green
03-03-2010, 12:50 PM
I am shocked, horrified, and disappointed that Netflix does not carry Birdemic.

Stephen Mick
03-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Interview with director/writer/producer James Nguyen…

http://www.filmeveryday.com/2010/03/03/interview-with-bs-a-t-director-james-nguyen/

groveChuck
03-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Hmm... what to say... ummm... well... hmmm... ok
Nguyen seems to be a humble guy who made what he made, because it was fun and he wanted to.
Talbot seems to be fairly confident that his film, if not Citizen Kane, surpasses Chaplin's The Great Dictator, at least in awards. Go figure.

Maybe one award was for Best Crossing of the Axis (crossing the line, not the Nazis) in the old men scene, one for Best Drum Soundtrack and one for Best Over The Top Voiceover?

Perhaps the humble and supremely confident could be rolled into one, and we'd have-
Still The Birds
or
Drumdemic?

On the other hand, the hangers from Birdemic look pretty good for driving into my eyes right now.

And stephenmick, your initials seem quite appropriate- S&M, for taking, and sharing the pain.
stephenmick... he took one for the team.
We thank you.

Stephen Mick
03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
You know, when myself, Drew Ott and Mr. & Mrs. Caffesse saw Transylmania…that was taking (at least) one for the team.

BSAT, on the other hand, was entertaining to a degree that you just have to experience to understand. And drinking before and during the movie helps quite a bit.

ChipG
03-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Stephen,

Your blog is really starting to come together, your page looks great btw!

Stephen Mick
03-04-2010, 06:37 AM
Hey, thanks man! My goal is to post a review every single day for this year, and so far I'm on track.

I've also got some special things planned for the spring which should be fun for the whole DVXUser family. :)

vnguyen972
03-04-2010, 08:27 AM
I don't know what to think. I saw the trailer sometime last year and I was blown away by how bad it looks... it just didn't make me want to see the movie but I had to give the guy +1 for having thick skin to be out and promoting this. It's good for him I guess and I was really surprised that it got picked up for distribution and got all these attentions... that's amazing I guess but I just don't understand it... what made him to keep on going? I would have just given up half way through editing!! This buzz reminds me of William Hung on American Idol a while back...

groveChuck
03-04-2010, 09:23 AM
This buzz reminds me of William Hung on American Idol a while back...

Yeah, it's like, he's got b@lls, but what do you want to be known for?
Do you want to be famous, or infamous?
Not that fame and filmmaking are synonymous, of course.

Ki-Ki
03-04-2010, 10:36 AM
70 - 100 British Pounds to enter a local festival.

At a guess that'd be about $150?

I call that cheap bud'

ugafan
03-18-2010, 02:09 AM
i've really got to see this birdemic movie.