PDA

View Full Version : April Status Report Thread

Larry Rutledge
04-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I didn't see one yet, so I decided to start one. Give us the scoop - how's the production coming?

I had a very disappointing setback yesterday when only 1 person showed up at my audition. :crybaby: There were 5 who confirmed they would be there and didn't come. Fortunately I've already cast some of the parts and have all my crew set. Just got to get back out there and track down a couple more actors.

The other big hurdle I'm facing now is locations. I don't know what I was thinking, I guess I wasn't, but when I wrote my script I didn't consider available locations and now I am trying to find very public facilities to satisfy the story. Also means I have to come up with $1,000,000 General Liability insurance because the best locations I can get to are state buildings here in Sacramento (capital of California) and they require that much insurance for location usage.

Still trying to get the costume and craft services taken care of.

The script is in it's final stages of review/revising - just at the point of doing small tweaks here and there. Still need to do breakdown, storyboarding, shot lists, scheduling, etc, etc.

I've secured actual police officers to fill the role of POLICE OFFICERS for the script :) Which saves me money on costuming.

So, a lot is done, but there is a lot to do.

How's everyone else coming along?

Peace,
Larry

Ralph Oshiro
04-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Coming along on what?

Larry Rutledge
04-04-2006, 04:56 PM
On their hero fest entry

Daniel Skubal
04-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Hmm, we just finished up the new draft of our script. Technically this is the first true draft. We've been working with treatments and have had the same half-dialogue/half-descriptive narration text for a few weeks. So I'm kind of glad to have the dialogue written.

Now I face a new challenge: Effects.

I'm gonna copy Jack here and make a to do list

-Find rest of locations
-Finish Storyboarding
-Complete main score/theme
-Work on effects shots, run tests
-Do multiple read-throughs of the script with the cast
-Get props together
____

That should take us up to principal photography.

Aaron Koolen
04-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Woah, you guys are ahead of me by miles wrt script. I have first rough rough draft only (Started working on it about 3 days ago)

I'm using people I know to act in the film. Might not get the best casting I feel but I think it'll do and will save hassle and time (I've worked with them before)

Couple of vague ideas for locations but need to scope em and see if they'll really do the trick.

My lovely wife's doing the catering.

Guy I'm working with is looking into effects at the moment.

Costumes really need to be looked at soon, and of course script is the main thing that has to be good. That's the thing that scares the shit out of me the most.

Curugon
04-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Tomorrow's our last day of principle. Managed to talk down our location fee by 50%, thank god. Everyone's feeling that bittersweet emotion - the cast and crew became very close during this.

Sunday was our shoot with a 4-year-old. Quite challenging as expected. Kids write the schedule when they're on set!

Don't know how we can cut this down to 5 minutes. At the worst, we'll submit the full length for out-of-competition viewing. How's everyone else coming along?

Kholi
04-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Tomorrow's our last day of principle. Managed to talk down our location fee by 50%, thank god. Everyone's feeling that bittersweet emotion - the cast and crew became very close during this.

Sunday was our shoot with a 4-year-old. Quite challenging as expected. Kids write the schedule when they're on set!

Don't know how we can cut this down to 5 minutes. At the worst, we'll submit the full length for out-of-competition viewing. How's everyone else coming along?

Sounds like you guys have a great production going on. Four year-olds, paid locales. Can't wait to see what comes out of it!

Aaron Koolen
04-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Tomorrow's our last day of principle.

Holy crap! Already?!? May I ask when this comp started? I thought it started something like a week or so ago?

Aaron

JimtheJib
04-04-2006, 07:29 PM
the script is finished, cast and crew booked, costume are ready as well... putting the ol' DIY jib back together

i'm filming part of it on thrusday

Curugon
04-05-2006, 02:10 AM
Holy crap! Already?!? May I ask when this comp started? I thought it started something like a week or so ago?
The contest was announced on (or around) March 12th, and we started shooting on the 25th. But in all fairness the script was written over two months ago, we've been in prep ever since (it happily fits in with the superhero thing).

My apartment's been one big green screen studio for 3 weeks... can't wait to actually change it back to a living space again!

snodart
04-05-2006, 03:23 AM
I'm rushing to finish building my vibrating GG adapter and learn my new DVX100b. Script is in its final stages. My cohort is an ER resident and has two whole days off in April, so I'm pretty much on my own this month. May is going to be crazy.

I am hoping to do a few tests for special effects. I would also like to do a true story board, but I'm thinking I will just go to the locations and use my digital still camera to work out the composition and flow.

Not sure if we will make the deadline at this pace, but this rush to get everything done and together is a great learning experience.

Good times...

Jeremy Ordan
04-05-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm five weeks into preproduction on another project and three weeks from shooting it, so depending on what happens with that will determine whether I have the time even available to shoot something for this fest.

-Jeremy

Mike McNeese
04-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Script is DONE! Tonight I'm getting the cast/crew together and hammer out our shooting schedule, work on blocking, etc.

Aaron Marshall
04-05-2006, 03:41 PM
About 45% of my film is finished. I have two major scenes to shoot, and some reshoots. The rest will be post production.

Curugon
04-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Congrats Noct! Best of luck on the rest of your shoot.

We just wrapped production today, very happy. Time for sleep.

Aaron Marshall
04-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks Curugon! Although in comparison to you, me talking about "making a film" is like a kid playing with a matchbox car saying I'm racing, when you're an Indy car driver. I'd like to be on set/location and see how your crew works. Your Ancanar film looks beautiful. I can't wait to see your herofest entry. I'm glad all the photography is wrapped up for you.

Norm Sanders
04-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Got our second set of rehearsals today, and met with our Seamstress/Costumer yesterday ... very excited about her & her skills. Our final rehearsal is next Saturday where we'll have all cast, and nearly all crew coming through my place like a revolving door as we have make up, hair & costume fittings, etc. .... all in preperation to begin filming on the 21st.

We've got a KILLER location, that I just can't believe we landed (for near free - some SLIGHT bartering of services may be involved), but it requires we don't actually start until midnight, which is going to kill everyone for the following day. Hmmm.

Still have a couple of locations to fully secure, and have to work out scheduling with our Stunt/FX coordinator for when he's in town so we can rehearse the fight choreography & rigging.

Shooting days are going to be TIGHT, as we only have 4 days, each day with only 6 1/2 hours of shooting each ... with a 15-16 page script to get covered ... but at least I've already got in my head our 5 minute version of the film as well, which will make the editing process a little more painless.

Kevin Lee
04-09-2006, 03:11 PM
How can you guys afford to get all these people? stunt coordinators... seamsress... actors.. location.....is there a zero budget category?

I'm just trying to figure out how I can hold the camera, pointed on me, with arm straight out and act at the same time.

Anyhow, I have a guy with a stedicam going to scout a location with me tomorrow, after my root canal. And we got about half the script written.

Curugon
04-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Location scouting after a root canal?? You are hard core, man.

Ramon Boutviseth
04-09-2006, 04:09 PM
looks like I wont be able to make this one, but i look forward everyone's entry

Brandon Rice
04-09-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm involved with working on Kholi's film. I'm editing the film. We had several interviews/auditions this weekend, and were pleased with everyone who showed up! Still working on locking locations, and finalizing the script. More auditions next weekend. Planning a first weekend of May shoot.

Ben Sliker
04-09-2006, 06:13 PM
i'm storyboarding like a madman, also a little bit of prescoring and working with my demo guy (my cousin ... he he).

Kholi
04-09-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm involved with working on Kholi's film. I'm editing the film. We had several interviews/auditions this weekend, and were pleased with everyone who showed up! Still working on locking locations, and finalizing the script. More auditions next weekend. Planning a first weekend of May shoot.

Thanks Brandon.

Seconding that-- More auditions next weekend, hopefully shooting first weekend of may, at the LATEST second weekend of may. (Talk about pushing deadlines)

Brandon's been a massive help, glad to have him on board.

Norm Sanders
04-09-2006, 07:29 PM
How can you guys afford to get all these people? stunt coordinators... seamsress... actors.. location.....is there a zero budget category?

I'm just trying to figure out how I can hold the camera, pointed on me, with arm straight out and act at the same time.

Anyhow, I have a guy with a stedicam going to scout a location with me tomorrow, after my root canal. And we got about half the script written.

Our entire budget shouldn't exceed $800, and that's at the ABSOLUTE maximum. We're hoping to keep it at $500 or less.

Everyone's working on contractually deferred pay, so no up front budget concerns there (both cast & crew), and locations will either work with us for copy & credit, or barter with us for production services ... if they require cash, then we just move on.

It's all about trying to be creative & looking for other ways to get things done than just throwing money around ... especially when you don't have it to throw around, which is our case.

Kholi
04-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Our entire budget shouldn't exceed $800, and that's at the ABSOLUTE maximum. We're hoping to keep it at $500 or less.

Everyone's working on contractually deferred pay, so no up front budget concerns there (both cast & crew), and locations will either work with us for copy & credit, or barter with us for production services ... if they require cash, then we just move on.

It's all about trying to be creative & looking for other ways to get things done than just throwing money around ... especially when you don't have it to throw around, which is our case.

I wish I could cut back to that much.

I really want a decent DP onboard, and while Brandon actually does good work (I've seen some great stuff from Briceman), I want him to be able to concentrate on editing more. So, hiring a DP is a chunk of change. Food and minor gas budget for cast and crew, props/costumes, equipment, visual FX artist are all totalled in. Gets pretty taxing. =(

Norm Sanders
04-09-2006, 09:41 PM
How would DP'ing hold him back from concentrating on editing, as they're at totally different times (i.e. one's production, the other is post)? If nothing else, it may actually help, as he'd be intimately familiar with what camera's had what angles, etc.

Kholi
04-09-2006, 10:01 PM
How would DP'ing hold him back from concentrating on editing, as they're at totally different times (i.e. one's production, the other is post)? If nothing else, it may actually help, as he'd be intimately familiar with what camera's had what angles, etc.

That could be true. Brandon? What do YOU think!?!?! =P Just kidding.

Also, enough of Brandon's time is being sucked up by other projects (I won't say anything outside of I can't wait to see how things pan out for him) and work, AND editing our upcoming footage, and regular life.

I don't mind paying someone who DP's for a living, either.

Speaking of which--

Status Report || Fielding emails from DPs at the moment. Editing current script draft. Yay.

Aaron Marshall
04-09-2006, 10:46 PM
I finished up almost all photography this weekend. I have a few reshoots to do. That will give me more options in editing. These are very minor "2nd unit" type shots. Other than that, it's wrapped. Now the post production madness begins!

Brandon Rice
04-09-2006, 11:04 PM
That could be true. Brandon? What do YOU think!?!?! =P Just kidding.

Also, enough of Brandon's time is being sucked up by other projects (I won't say anything outside of I can't wait to see how things pan out for him) and work, AND editing our upcoming footage, and regular life.

I don't mind paying someone who DP's for a living, either.

Speaking of which--

Status Report || Fielding emails from DPs at the moment. Editing current script draft. Yay.

Yeah, I am for sure busy with lots of projects these days... trying to help out as much as I can though!

Jay Rodriguez
04-10-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm watching everyone wishing i was involved

Kholi
04-10-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm watching everyone wishing i was involved

Then next thing you know? BAM -- Coffee's entry shows up.

You can't fool me.

Final Design Studios
04-10-2006, 02:39 PM
I've got the costume mostly complete, one actor lined up and need to find two more. Locations are going to be a pain, but I think I could do it.

Aaron Koolen
04-10-2006, 08:56 PM
13 pages in 4 minutes 50! HOLY SHIT! Are your heroes on speed? :)

My progress so far:

I've finished my first draft now too, it's 4.5 pages running pretty smack onto 5 minutes.

Costuming needs getting onto REAL soon and it's going to be a fucking nightmare I think. Spandex sucks and I have noone who can sew one, so it's looking like a wetsuit or something and I just know it's gonna come out looking like a...well....wetsuit

Going to try and secure locations tomorrow.

My main actor just told me that he might be pulled off to do a 10 week tv show. So that means I now have to look for a new super hero replacement.

Due to the 48 hours being on the 25th of May I needed to pull the shoot date forward a week, and so now my second character can't make it.

So, all going as usual so far! ;)

Larry Rutledge
04-10-2006, 11:03 PM
How do you time a script? I know the general rule of 1 page per minute for a feature length script, but I assume a short wouldn't run long enough for that to be true.

I've heard people from time to time mention their script "timing" out to a particular amount of time...how do you figure that out?

Kholi
04-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Could just be totally overwritten and or not in script format.

Aaron Koolen
04-10-2006, 11:57 PM
I think one page per minute does hold true for a short as well, but it does change if you're action or dialogue heavy.

Basically I run through it in my head. I read/speak the dialogue and imagine the shots happening as if it's edited. If you know the pacing of your scenes then this seems to work quite well. Has served me fine for the few competition shorts I've done so far.

Norm Sanders
04-11-2006, 02:24 AM
Like Aza, I just read the thing out loud, and them mimic the movements & timing that I would expect to happen. Obviously the talent's performance & overall editing will have a MAJOR factor in the end length, but it should give you a good ball park of what you'll be at.

Kevin Lee
04-11-2006, 07:34 AM
I met with my DP yesterday, and scouted out a location after 3 locations and lots of hiking, we found one. Then met with the writer last night, and suggested some changes in which will have kept him up late thinking about. I think we'll have to make some shoots with the main character alone durring the week seeing as the others can only do weekends.

Norm Sanders
04-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Hopefully meeting with our location guy today, whom I've still YET to meet ... just talked to on the phone for a couple of weeks. I personally won't feel comfortable until I've spoken with the people in charge at each location as well, just so I know what we have is legit. Less than two weeks until we shoot with full cast & crew, and still no concrete locations (in my mind). Getting a little nervous ... however, what we're "supposed" to have is incredible ... I've just got to confirm 'em.

Larry Rutledge
04-11-2006, 10:47 AM
I feel your pain Norm, I'm in the same boat...less than two weeks until we shoot and no concrete locations yet. Very frustrating and just a little scary.

Final Design Studios
04-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Okay apparently God doesn't like super hero's. Maybe they steal his thunder a little bit or something.

I need summer for my short, and as of yesterday I almost had it the streets were clear and the snowberms were shrinking, I could almost smell the flowers. Then, this morning, I woke up to this...
http://www.finaldesignstudios.com/snow.jpg

Now, I think it'll melt in the next couple of weeks so I'm not totally screwed, I just hope that I can shoot and have it edited and have the music composed in time. I may just have to put some StackTraxxs behind it and have it scored after the contest.

If anyone is thinking of living in Alaska, remember, nine months out of the year, you won't want to shoot outside, and its your best location.

Larry Rutledge
04-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Wow! A major setback...my funding fell through and now I can't purchase the superhero outfit, buy food for on set, or any props until May 15th. That means I'll have about two weeks two shoot and edit - less actually, because a couple of the costume pieces have to be ordered and will take a couple days to ship.

That also means I now have to pray that all the cast/crew will still be available on whatever new shoot dates we set up. :eek:

Jay Rodriguez
04-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Then next thing you know? BAM -- Coffee's entry shows up.

You can't fool me.

LOL :engel017:

Norm Sanders
04-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Wow! A major setback...my funding fell through and now I can't purchase the superhero outfit, buy food for on set, or any props until May 15th. That means I'll have about two weeks two shoot and edit - less actually, because a couple of the costume pieces have to be ordered and will take a couple days to ship.

That also means I now have to pray that all the cast/crew will still be available on whatever new shoot dates we set up. :eek:

OUCH! How much funding were you counting on, Larry? Sounds like you have to wait until the 15, as that's your pay day, huh? :)

Kholi
04-11-2006, 03:26 PM

That sucks. Hope it works out for ya. Sounds like ya had some great talent lined up.

I hope I'm able to lock the prime location soon... it's worrying me.

Larry Rutledge
04-11-2006, 04:30 PM
OUCH! How much funding were you counting on, Larry? Sounds like you have to wait until the 15, as that's your pay day, huh? :)

About $400, enough to buy food for the first shoot day and to buy the pieces for the costume and a few props.

Yep, pay day :) I have to self-fund since my original source didn't work out.

Aaron Koolen
04-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Now I don't normally give away brilliantly creative ideas like this, but Larry, seeing as you're in a bind for cash...An Invisible Super hero suit is a great way to cut costs.

Seriously though, bummer to hear, and good luck getting it happening. When you finally do it you'll no doubt have an even bigger sense of achievment.

Daniel Skubal
04-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Welp, the script went through a major overhall today and I'm pretty sure that aside from minor grammatical errors, the story is set and I am very pleased with it.

We have our actors all set, read throughs start this weekend.

I've been working on a few test shots that I'm pleased with. And also discovered a few speedbumps but quickly resolved the issues. (that's something I love about filmmaking. The problem solving.)

We got all of our locations set as well and the props are being manufactured this weekend.

Storyboarding is about 40% complete.

Also, if jarred or barry feel like throwing up an extension on the deadline... that'd be amazing. :)

Larry Rutledge
04-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Now I don't normally give away brilliantly creative ideas like this, but Larry, seeing as you're in a bind for cash...An Invisible Super hero suit is a great way to cut costs.
The funny thing is, my original idea was an super hero who's power was invisibility (because I thought it would be the cheapest and easiest to pull off) :grin:

Seriously though, bummer to hear, and good luck getting it happening. When you finally do it you'll no doubt have an even bigger sense of achievment.
I sure hope so, cause right now I'm feeling totally bummed. The most frustrating part is I had everything planned so I would be totally done by May 15th, now I won't even be starting till then. I haven't had the courage to ask the composer how they feel about a 2-3 day turnaround :eek:

I still haven't heard back from any of the other cast or crew yet on availability...that's going to be the big kicker now.

Policar
04-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Cancelled!

My camera broke the same way it broke for sci-fi fest, except this time I actually had good footage to go with. I hope the repair isn't expensive.

Anyhow, I'll still finish (I hope.) Probably around mid June, though. Oh well...

Final Design Studios
04-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Cancelled!

My camera broke the same way it broke for sci-fi fest, except this time I actually had good footage to go with. I hope the repair isn't expensive.

Anyhow, I'll still finish (I hope.) Probably around mid June, though. Oh well...

That really bites, I feel for you man. What happened to the camera?

Policar
04-12-2006, 08:06 PM
The autofocus/manual focus is messed up. It won't stay in manual focus mode.

Final Design Studios
04-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Well, you could still shoot, but setting the focus will just be a pain......maybe too much of a pain, but thats up to you.

Norm Sanders
04-12-2006, 11:31 PM
All crew positions filled, and even spoke to a professional Gaffer today who's got all his own gear & is interested in crewing for the short.

Actually, we're still down our make up artists ... getting nervous about that, as well as securing one final location ... not critical for our 5 minute cut, but much needed for the full length short.

Policar
04-13-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm using a 35mm adapter so I can't shoot at all unless focus can be locked down. Not that I'd want to use MF anyway except maybe for steadicam shots.

Policar
04-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Oh no $700 repair. Count me out for good....

Larry Rutledge
04-13-2006, 08:57 AM
That stinks Policar...sorry to hear it. :crybaby:

I'm still waiting to hear back from my cast/crew on the change in shooting dates, but don't expect a big problem there. I've located all the pieces for the costume, just have to order when the funding is available. My wife and her mother are working out the craft services/meals.

I have two potential locations, just waiting to hear back from the responsible parties.

Did some greenscreen tests last night and was very impressed with the Vegas Keyer, especially considering I didn't light the screen at all (just ambient room light) - I was still able to pull an adequate key. :thumbsup:

My fight coordinator/choreographer is working out the fight scenes and we are going to be rehearsing with the actors next week.

So, with all the setbacks, it is still progressing. I'm just worried about the extremely short post time - hopefully it will be one of the traditional DVXFest "Soft Deadlines" :grin:

Norm Sanders
04-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Everything has been coming together nicely, and I've been looking forward to this being an incredible production ... and then,

BAM!! I'm back to zero locations. :cry: One week before we have our first night of shooting (next weekend), and no locations ... I'm so stressed out now, I feel like I could puke.

:kali: The bone head who said he'd secured us this PHENOMENAL location, neglected to mention the words Copy & Credit to the person in charge. :nads: So since I need to have complete assurance of every location we have (i.e. talking to the person myself, not just leaving it in the location person's hands only), I was FINALLY able to connect with the guy today (have been trying for four days), and found out that I need to pay for a MINIMUM of four security guards during our 9 hours there. Well, that extra $1,200+ is 150% more than my entire budget, so we're out the location.

Easter Weekend, and I'll be spending it freaking out and trying to beg, borrow or steal locations. :furious3:

Larry Rutledge
04-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Hey Norm, have you considered contacting the local police department and see if any off duty police officers are available to stand in, in place of the security guards. Perhaps if you offer them positions as "extras" they'll do it for free.

Just a thought if that's all that's holding you back from a PHENOMENAL location.

Kholi
04-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Everything has been coming together nicely, and I've been looking forward to this being an incredible production ... and then,

BAM!! I'm back to zero locations. :cry: One week before we have our first night of shooting (next weekend), and no locations ... I'm so stressed out now, I feel like I could puke.

:kali: The bone head who said he'd secured us this PHENOMENAL location, neglected to mention the words Copy & Credit to the person in charge. :nads: So since I need to have complete assurance of every location we have (i.e. talking to the person myself, not just leaving it in the location person's hands only), I was FINALLY able to connect with the guy today (have been trying for four days), and found out that I need to pay for a MINIMUM of four security guards during our 9 hours there. Well, that extra $1,200+ is 150% more than my entire budget, so we're out the location.

Easter Weekend, and I'll be spending it freaking out and trying to beg, borrow or steal locations. :furious3:

I'm right with you. I have one location that needs to be locked and I dunno how the heck I'm going to pull it off.

At least you haven't been fretting for weeks! =P

Good luck with that.

Norm Sanders
04-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Hmm, great idea, Larry ... I'll have to see if there's a work around like that ... if the place will accept off dut police officers in lieu of their own regular security. The problem is, this place has litterally tens of millions of dollars of valuables that have to be watched, accounted for, etc. In fact, when I went there to take pictures, I was at first stopped saying I had to have express permission due to the security issues at hand, and I had to drop a large name to get clearance for the shots.

Again, though, good idea & I'll see if it can lead anywhere. Thanks!

Daniel Skubal
04-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Hmm, great idea, Larry ... I'll have to see if there's a work around like that ... if the place will accept off dut police officers in lieu of their own regular security. The problem is, this place has litterally tens of millions of dollars of valuables that have to be watched, accounted for, etc. In fact, when I went there to take pictures, I was at first stopped saying I had to have express permission due to the security issues at hand, and I had to drop a large name to get clearance for the shots.

Again, though, good idea & I'll see if it can lead anywhere. Thanks!

A federal bank? I want to know your location! lol

Norm Sanders
04-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Can't say ... you know, festival rules and all. :)

Larry Rutledge
04-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Oh go ahead, you can tell them....alright, I'll tell them. It's Fort Knox :grin:

Final Design Studios
04-15-2006, 02:07 AM
Dang dude, I wrote my script so that I could have one location, two actors, and one afternoon of filming. Although, you are trying to shoot a longer short.

Curugon
04-15-2006, 02:51 AM
Sorry to hear that Norm - but I'm sure you'll make it happen! You're a resourceful dude.

Aaron Koolen
04-15-2006, 07:29 AM
Yeah good luck Envision. I'm lucky I'm not doing a film on your scale, but I had a set back when the guy who was my only Special FX/Costume/Art guy decided, out of nowhere, to bail on me. And my lead actor (hero) got an overseas TV series job! (Damn actors and their love of paying work :) ) So now I have to rewrite and try get something that's not as fancy but still super hero.

Norm Sanders
04-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Okay, as of last Friday we had ZERO locations, with only a week left before we began shooting.

Lots of praying and begging over the weekend, and some MAD scouting on Saturday ...

Now, as of yesterday, all four locations are secured, some better than I could have imagined. Whew!

Also got all of our make up artists on board now, one with over 20 years experience in the industry ... vs. last week we had none.

Fight choreography tonight with the stunt coordinator, then final rehearsals for the principle cast after that (people at my house from 5pm to midnight tonight). Make up testing tomorrow at my place again, and then we start shooting Friday night. Two days this weekend, two days next, four locations, and 16 pages of script to get through.

Fun, fun, fun, and I feel SO much better.

Larry Rutledge
04-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Good luck! :thumbsup:

Brandon Rice
04-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Yeah, good luck and congrats on getting those locations!

Curugon
04-19-2006, 10:46 AM
I knew you'd do it!

Norm Sanders
04-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Ah, shucks, guys stop it (as I nod my head for more)! :)

Seriously, thanks for the vote of confidence ... but I'd actually have to credit a higher power in pulling this one together in the final days like this. I think I'm a fairly good salesman, but not THAT good.

Larry Rutledge
04-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Your good enough that if I had the money I'd fly you down here to get my locations for me....of course if I had money then I would be able to get my own locations :huh:

i_&_t
04-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Going well so far! After finally finishing our script...
We have our main actors and most of our supporting actors, most locations (!), and most of our props. We had our first meeting with the leads on Monday and it went great. Shooting scheduled to begin next weekend and continuing to the first weekend of May.
We are completely excited about this project! Can't wait to see everyone else's ideas as well!:)

aw grasshopper
04-21-2006, 11:47 AM
gurus -

I can hardly wait to see what everyone comes up with on this project. I do have a request though - please include your location in the final credits of the film. When watching the films from other festivals, I found myself wanting to know where the film was shot. Of course some people already to this but I thought I would put a bug in the ear of those that probably did not even think about it since they have so much stuff going on just getting the film in the can.

Have a great day.

Grasshopper

Final Design Studios
04-21-2006, 03:17 PM
My superhero costume is finally coming together, I need to have someone sew on a cape.

I have actors in mind, but really want to get the script locked down before I commit anyone.

Beat Takeshi
04-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Finished lighting and shooting a bunch of scenes for Jack and now moving on to my joint. Shooting greenscreen for the next 2 weekends and splitting compositing and effects work up to get it all done in time. This may become a trailer for the amount of effects that are going to be in and Im hoping I can pull this off. Curugon's ass kicking trailer for "The Ore" totally got me hyped to attempt something different.

JwrFord
04-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Here is our list of dones:
2 of 4 Locations (one was our old small private highschool which is asking us to pay $$$ for using there location)
waiting on our other location to "make a few phone calls" for the past week
Secured artists
Obtained a good editor to help us
Our composer obtained people for the instrumentals
"script" done
Storyboard done
Responding back to a few positions after this post

Need to do:
Order props
reserve cars
assemble dolly
assemble gib
Walk through script
"Auditions" the 28th filming the 1st

Norm Sanders
04-23-2006, 11:30 AM
I am BEAT ... so tired, I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to type this now, but may as well while it's fresh in my head.

I've slept about 4 hours in the last 48+ hours. First night of shooting was Friday evening, with the rain towers, etc ... access/set up to two different buildings with an incredible sky line from the roof tops. City was really accomodating as well for shooting, etc. However ... our poor talent was FROZEN to the bone as we just continued to pound them with torrents of rain, in what had to be about 40 degrees with a slight wind chill ....

So much wind chill in fact that our lead talent pretty much lost control of their muscles as they went into hypothermia, and couldn't perform the stunt. Quickly were able to get a stunt double in for them, as we rushed the talent off to get dry & go home. As it turns out, it was in fact SO cold that the rain had FROZEN to the stunt pad, creating about a 1/4 inch thick sheet of ice that we had to break through and then clear off the pad. Shooting all this with the DVX's was no cake either, as well got quite wet as well, though we tried to cover the best we could.

Last night (starting at 12am, wrapping at about 9:00am this morning) was guaranteed to go smoother, with all interior shots, however our largest cast ...

That is until I got a call from the wardrobe's father who said his daughter (in 20's) had worked herself into a black out, and he wasn't going to allow her to go anywhere until she'd gotten sleep. The really cool part about this was that she had all the costumes and we had to go get them in the last minute ...

But no, it gets better! She had LIED to me this past week when she'd stated that they were done, with just a couple left to go, when in fact NOTHING was completed, and what we picked up was a bunch of cut fabric that wasn't stitched, etc., and we couldn't make heads or tails out of about 90% of the stuff. Somehow, after that nightmare, and getting a pretty late start, we still got all of our shots, and were able to pull of some pretty acceptable looks.

I can't emphasize enough that I'll never work with the costume gal again.

50% of the film is in the can, and I'll begin editing what we have this week. Finish shooting next weekend with 7am to 4am shifts at two other locations, then onto scrambling for the locked edit.

Brandon Rice
04-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Wow Norm! Great war story there! I cannot wait to see how this turns out. Sounds like you got a lot of production value in this film.

Larry Rutledge
04-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Wow! http://www.nrestudios.com/images/smilies/emote_22_yikes.gif ... Great Story!!!

Sounds like I better get a lot of this: http://www.nrestudios.com/images/smilies/emote_popcorn.gif and sit back to enjoy the film!!

In all seriousness...Thanks for sharing Norm. It helps us as we go through our struggles knowing we aren't the only ones facing difficulties.

On a separate note....some of my difficulties are over. I found the perfect location (by perfect, I mean that it will work for my story and it is free) for the bulk of my scenes. So we're getting all geared up - it'll still be a short post cycle, but I got someone who is doing some 3D work and is also going to do my post audio work.

Making some progress...looking forward to this fest!!

Peace,
Larry

Aaron Marshall
04-23-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm doing special fx and editing hot and heavy right now. My goal is to get the picture locked before May 1st so I can dedicated that time to music composition, audio, and helping a few other DVXusers out with their projects.

I have some stories about my production. I'll share in my films thread after the voting has closed.

Kholi
04-23-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm doing special fx and editing hot and heavy right now. My goal is to get the picture locked before May 1st so I can dedicated that time to music composition, audio, and helping a few other DVXusers out with their projects.

I have some stories about my production. I'll share in my films thread after the voting has closed.

Same here. The war stories are for Behind The Scenes and After Vote threads.

Good luck to everyone, as always.

Norm Sanders
04-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Same here. The war stories are for Behind The Scenes and After Vote threads.

Good luck to everyone, as always.

Oh there'll be a lot of BTS. Our goal is to have the 15-18 minute short on a DVD packed to the brim with all kinds of BTS ... which will include on the spot documentaries of the war stories.

Brandon Rice
04-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Oh there'll be a lot of BTS. Our goal is to have the 15-18 minute short on a DVD packed to the brim with all kinds of BTS ... which will include on the spot documentaries of the war stories.

I claim the first pre-order!!

Beat Takeshi
04-24-2006, 01:24 AM
Got new story pretty much set and got green screen tests done that look pretty good. Got the 2 leads secured. Got 3 compositing folks to help. Debating on the female character type. Doing a lot of research on the style im doing this in so its authentic. Need to find very big open area for battle scene which I have 2 in mind, one close and one 2 hours away. Got 2 greenscreen studios to work in but one is tiny but more accessible. The other would allow for flying effects so Im hoping for that to be ready in time. Wardrobe is the biggest problem. Its set in the future but the story is ancient. Have no idea how I want them to look yet. Have to decide on the digital matte painting style still.
Hope to have composer locked down this week. I sent samples to prospective composers.

Larry Rutledge
04-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Wardrobe is the biggest problem. Its set in the future but the story is ancient. Have no idea how I want them to look yet.

Make it easy on yourself, write into the story that in your future the style of choice is blue jeans and white t-shirts :grin:

chrisdvx
04-26-2006, 08:18 PM
We start shooting on Saturday morning.. and my main actor (hero) just backed out a few minutes ago with "I have to work"... hmm... Just another road block.

Kevin Lee
04-26-2006, 09:19 PM
We start shooting on Saturday morning.. and my main actor (hero) just backed out a few minutes ago with "I have to work"... hmm... Just another road block.

Yeah Chris, we're having trouble with some actors as well. Supposed to shoot on saturday.... We'll see what happens.

I am trying to throw together a dolly and a quick crane as well. Probably wont happen.

Aaron Marshall
04-28-2006, 01:46 AM
My film is currently 7 minutes long. That's not including an extra 10-20 sec. scene I still need to shoot. Damn it. I'll have to trim some fat off this edit. The thing is; I've already trimmed off quite a bit. It's in its 3rd revision. It's getting pretty lean.

I WILL make it 5 minutes long!

snodart
04-28-2006, 01:54 AM
So, we haven't even started shooting yet. Yikes. Hopefully should get some tests done this weekend. Cram time. Man, some of you guys are hard core.

EDIT: P.C. correction. Omit "guys" replace with "people".

Beat Takeshi
04-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Worked on story boards and tweaking story, was up till 3:30am last nigh trying to get this one line right which is still so-so.
Got basic idea of wardrobe.
Start shooting some of the outside scenes tomorrow morning.
Shoot the real greenscreen shots sunday.
Start effects work next week.
Secured a great mother figure.

JwrFord
04-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Auditions today and still working with two locations on scheduling/permission. One is Amtrak the other is municipal... Have another artist meeting coming up. HOPEFULLY atleast the auditions are uneventful. In short we will have to push our schedule back 6 days giving us only 2 weeks to put post together.....

P!body
04-28-2006, 10:09 AM
We are ready to start shooting. The idea/script, casting, locations, and most of the equipment are all elements that are taken care of. We are waiting to start principal photography until after we get our Redrock M2 in. [which could be another two weeks- yikes]

But it should be a two-three day shoot, so I think we are still in business. Wish us luck.

CineMark
04-28-2006, 12:54 PM
We finally started shooting last night. 2 hours for a 3 second scene. Attention to details man, attention to details.

arielman
04-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally we weren't going to enter and just do this one for ourselves But that may change .First 2 scenes were shot 2 nights ago and some tomorrow (Sunday) I hope . Just waiting on 2 props to arrive , so we will see what happens .

Just installed Vegas 6 , what a difference over Studio 10 , this might take some getting use to.

Ian

Norm Sanders
04-29-2006, 04:17 PM
We shoot our final scenes/location tonight (4th & final night of shooting). We wrapped late (ran about 1 - 1 1/2 hours over), and got to bed at 6:30 am this mornging ... crew & principle cast call time tonight again at 7:00pm, with a small wrap party when we have final wrap at 4:00am tomorrow (if we can end on time). Our EXT. rain shots are taking a LOT longer to shoot than we had originally anticipated, so those are usually what throw us behind.

We're using 2 Letus35 Flip Enhanced on both DVX100a's. We were in the rain SO much last night with the steadycam (actually Glidecam V-16 system), that the Letus35 Flip somehow got water into it ... which never really showed (I HOPE and pray!) until we got back into our INT. location, and the temp changed caused a ton of condensation, etc. ... We couldn't clean it on the spot (currently ripped apart into all it's pieces in my office, hoping I can get it cleaned, sealed, and back together in time), so it took us down to 1 camera 1/2 way through our schedule ... which also didn't help us for finishing on time.

Food/catering's been good though, and the cast & crew have always stayed happy with no outbreaks, emotional fits, etc. So as far as relationships/interaction, it's been a VERY smooth shoot so far.

Biggest thing I've learned through this is that if you're going to have your talent soaked to the bone, go get some $2 emergency blankets for them, not actual real blankets. These things shed water easily, and retain/relfect up to 80% of your body heat ... can't have a rain and/or cold EXT. shoot without them.

All that said, the Letus35 Flip, like I'm sure with nearly any adapter, takes work to make sure you've got criticle focus, lighting, etc. ... but, when you get the right shots, it's absolutely amazing! On the flip side, if you're not careful, it's easy to just ruin your footage and have useless garbage to work with in post.

Kevin Lee
04-29-2006, 05:30 PM
I was up late last night trying to put a jib/dolly together. But the hardware stores are closed and I needed some more parts. We went out today anyway and shot most of the film. Maybe have the Jib ready to put some shots in next weekend. This little film is a lot of work!!

Brandon Rice
04-29-2006, 05:51 PM
All that said, the Letus35 Flip, like I'm sure with nearly any adapter, takes work to make sure you've got criticle focus, lighting, etc. ... but, when you get the right shots, it's absolutely amazing! On the flip side, if you're not careful, it's easy to just ruin your footage and have useless garbage to work with in post.

You are just lovin' that play on words, eh Norm? :)

Sounds like things are moving buddy, can't wait to see your film!

Anthem78
04-30-2006, 08:07 AM
We're in the middle of production right now.

Shaun Patrick
04-30-2006, 08:09 AM
We shoot in a little under two weeks--total shoot about 1-2 days (hopefully just one long day). We're in the same boat in terms of waiting for the M2, which will finally be in our possession by the beginning of this week. We ordered it in mid-March.

Ben Sliker
04-30-2006, 12:37 PM
and we're out ... main actor gone ... no replacement ... not spending hundreds on film with poo poo acting.

Norm Sanders
04-30-2006, 03:47 PM
We're wrapped ... taking today off from the film (have other projects to work on), and then begin post tomorrow to have locked edit to the composer by 5/15.

Hybrid, just do it yourself like last time!

Brandon Rice
04-30-2006, 05:02 PM
We're wrapped ... taking today off from the film (have other projects to work on), and then begin post tomorrow to have locked edit to the composer by 5/15.

COOL!

Ben Sliker
04-30-2006, 06:03 PM
thanks for the vote of confidence envision, but i can't stand to be in front of the camera instead of behind it anymore!

That and I have 2 papers, and 5 final exams in the next 2 weeks ... oh and i'm graduating from college ...

CineMark
05-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Wrapped up April shooting all weekend. We're shooting at night, and we spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday shooting from 8pm to at least midnight each night. Once until around 2am.

Going good.