PDA

View Full Version : Canon GL3/GL H1 at NAB?

roxics
04-04-2006, 01:52 PM
You guys think Canon will announce a GL3 / GL H1 at NAB this year? I'm excited to hear about the final specs and price on RED. But I don't think I'm going to be anywhere near able to afford such a beast. So I'm actually more excited to see if Canon comes through with the next big indie film cam for all the rest of us.

I mean if the GL3 shoots HDV with 24f, has decent XLR imputs on it and comes in close to a price of $3000 it will probably become a next big desired camera for people in the sub $5000 price range. Probably with as much excitement surrounding it that the DVX100 had when it was launched.

As far as I understand Sony's FX1 comes close but they don't completely deliver because of it's lacking CF24 mode. What do you guys think?

Digigenic
04-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Not at NAB, but at DVExpo East.
Just guessing based on the predecessor's release date and location.
Also note the expiration date of the rebate, indicating a summer release.
As for the specs and price, I'd like to say anything can happen,
but we're talking about one of the more reserved players here; I donít expect fireworks.
The biggest challenge with the GL successor will be the price point.
If you calculate previous models and how their prices correlated with previous XL models you may deduce a rather disappointing price point - that is if 3 grand is what youíre expecting this model to debut at.

Barry_Green
04-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah, Canon never introduces camcorders at NAB, it's not their show.

Regarding a GL -- I don't know. I doubt we'll ever see a 1/4" HD camcorder; the pixels on 1/3" are already getting so small that you can't use an iris smaller than f/8. If they do make a GL, I bet it'll be one 1/3" CCD rather than three 1/4".

roxics
04-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Doesn't Canon do their own CMOS manufacturing? I believe this is the case with their DSLR's. I wonder if what you say is true Barry except instead of it being a 1/3 CCD it would be a 1/3 CMOS. Either way so long as the picture quality is there it doesn't matter.

Digigenic
04-05-2006, 08:23 AM
I believe Canon only adheres to the design and fabrication of their APS and full frame DSLR sensors.
Beyond that, I think everyone taps Sony or Matsushi*a for the smaller sensors; relying on the image processing that is unique to each manufacturer to determine the difference in output quality.
With that being said, there's no reason, other than cost, for Canon not to consider tapping Sony for their Clearvid 1/3in CMOS sensors.
In fact, I'd recommend this very feasible course of action for all upcoming HD/HDV cameras that are intent on sticking to 1/3 sensors in their cameras.