PDA

View Full Version : What HD camera

jackillin1
03-29-2006, 03:07 AM
I have about US$3000 to spend and want to know what HD cam you guys would reccomend, I've read so much stuff about HD cams that my head is spinning, so hands on opinions would help me clarify.

Thanks Jacq

myfriendimage
03-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Im running a stock company out of the northwest, and when it came time to decide what cameras me and my partner share the sony was a clear choice. Nothing was more aesthetic in our opinion than 1080i. We looked around at what camera was the best choice, the canon H1 was just starting to make it's apearance at this point although it crossed our minds the work I have done invovling the gl1, gl2, xl1, xl1-s. xl2 the image is yes nice and Canon really knows what they are doing lense wise but when it comes to imaging I always though that when you went for the crisp image you ended up getting a grainy oversharp image, instead of a crisp detailed image.

We also looked at the possibility of the HVX but P2 didnt seem like the most practical choice seeing as how we didnt want to haul a powerbook around to dump the P2 Cards every 20 minutes after shooting 1080p, when you goto Washington's rainforests you can be teathered to a dump, it made sense to stick with HDV.

We finally settled on the Sony because we loved the crisp yes smooth image it produced. We could easily switch tapes, and using the sony DV63M Tapes for HDV recording havent experience one drop out yet. The image comparisons showed the canon clocking higher resolution but zooming in on the same image shot with both cameras showed hot spots scattered throughout the image even though both were properly exposed. By this time the Sony was an obvious choice, we could shoot in HD getting 1080 lines of resolution, matched with sony's amazing image and color (in our opinion) and have the freedom todo pretty much whatever we wanted.

Here are some stills we got this winter to show you what the sony can do. Granted they arent our best work, saving that for when we go public, but it can show you crispness, color. basically a range in things.

This is from another post I made

Barry_Green
03-29-2006, 05:32 PM
At a $3,000 budget, there's only one choice: the FX1. Definitely the most bang for the $3,000 buck.

Digigenic
03-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Yeah, especially now that you can get one for 2 grand at the Apple store now.

Barry_Green
03-31-2006, 12:40 PM
An FX1 for $2,000 at the Apple store?

Digigenic
03-31-2006, 02:59 PM
It isn't there anymore, they've removed it.
But those of us who placed our order ran away with a great deal:)
All day today on various film and dv boards it's been bonkers.
Here's a screencap.
-------------------------
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/WICKEDPIXEL/video/FX1atapple.jpg

Barry_Green
03-31-2006, 05:19 PM
That's gotta be a typo. It's still listed at $3699 at the Sony store. Somebody in the webpage department at the Apple store might be looking for a new job... :)

myfriendimage
04-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah everyones order has been cancelled I heard.

Digigenic
04-01-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm pursuing it.
That camera is mine.