PDA

View Full Version : Slow-motion?

Ben Sliker
03-23-2006, 04:26 PM
I don't know if this has been addressed already, but 24p isn't exactly the greatest for slow motion. Can we shoot our slow motion shots in 60i and do the import to 24p timeline/slow to 40% thingy? Or is that a big no-no?:dankk2:

Chris Stearns
03-23-2006, 04:39 PM
I shoot 30p for slo-mo. It's not anywhere near overcranking film, but it works for a smooth, slight slo-mo.

Ben Sliker
03-23-2006, 04:43 PM
i know how to do slow-motion, i was asking if this was against the rules for the contest

Chris Stearns
03-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Oh, sorry. I didn't even see this was in the Hero-fest section. My mistake! :0

Peter Murphy
03-23-2006, 05:00 PM
why would that be against the rules?

Chris Stearns
03-23-2006, 05:16 PM
I think that as long as everything else is shot 24p and the final output is 24p your OK.

Ben Sliker
03-23-2006, 05:28 PM
why would that be against the rules?

Hero-Fest

The Rules:

* Use a DVX100 or HVX200, shoot 24p and 16x9 (either squeeze or letterbox)

If you shoot 60i for slow motion in post, technically, you aren't shooting 24p anymore, even if you put it in a 24p timeline and export it.

Barry_Green
03-23-2006, 06:37 PM
I can't see how that would be against the rules. As long as your project is edited on a 24p timeline, the 30p/80% overcrank trick and the 60i/40% overcrank trick should be perfectly acceptable.

Ben Sliker
03-23-2006, 07:16 PM
thanks barry, i figured someone official would rear their head around soon enough. I was just worried cause it's not technically *shot* in 24p, but edited.

Norm Sanders
03-24-2006, 07:42 PM
You're right, it would lead you to believe that it HAD to be shot in 24P, but that's not the intent, I believe. Bottom line is, they don't want that interlaced look for the films, and they plan on cutting 24P DVD's, so they final project specifically has to be 24P. I'd imagine that someone could shoot the entire thing 60i, as long as the final was 24P.

Also, check out programs/plug-ins like Twixtor & others ... I've heard the do an incredible job time warping footage so that you can slow it WAY down from 24P, and still have it SILKY smooth because of how it interprets & creates frames in between ... I've not tested it myself yet, but plan to.

Ben Sliker
03-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Also, check out programs/plug-ins like Twixtor & others ... I've heard the do an incredible job time warping footage so that you can slow it WAY down from 24P, and still have it SILKY smooth because of how it interprets & creates frames in between ... I've not tested it myself yet, but plan to.

Cool. But I'm working on this system where you can run a string of unexposed film through the DVX really fast, and then play it back at regular speed. I hope it'll work. I heard it creates spectacular slow motion too. [/sarcasm on video]

Untsikka
03-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Hmm, how about european users who can't shoot 24p with their DVX's? And if I remember correctly, I can't even make a PAL project with 24p timecode in Premiere Pro, Am I wrong?

theAlchemist
03-26-2006, 12:30 PM
You can start a 24p project and import your 25p footage. I have no idea what it does with that 25th frame, but the footage still looks the same to me when I tried it.

Norm Sanders
03-26-2006, 01:17 PM
I believe the total project/clip would end up being just a tad longer than if you played it at 25FPS. In other words, it doesn't just ditch that 25th frame, but keeps it ... so a clip with 2,500 frames would take 100 seconds to play at 25FPS, it would take a little over 104 seconds to play at 24FPS ... so about 4% increase in length of play time.

Which is something to be careful of ... in the last festival, there was more than one film maker who thought they were at exactly 6 minutes (previous festival maximum time), but when they converted to 24FPS they were now 15-17 seconds over limit.

This festival is a 5 minute cut off, so you may want to allow yourself at least a 10 second or more buffer when your project's in 25FPS, before converting it to 24FPS ... so you're not surprised & panicked in the 11th hour.

lucidz
03-26-2006, 02:39 PM
No I dont think its against the rules whatsoever. Its extremely common practice to shoot 60i and then convert for slow mo.

Aside from that, on the last fest, you only had to shoot 75% with the dvx period. So I"m sure you're ok. Have fun!

Untsikka
03-27-2006, 08:42 AM
If I create a 24p project, it does automaticly change my resolution and aspect ratio to NTSC sizes, and I can't change them to PAL, but I guess I can live with that. But, how would I go if I wanted to watch that from a PAL tv or a monitor? Is there such thing as PAL 24p video?

androoow
04-05-2006, 02:59 PM
not that i think many people will do this !! ..but can we have a new award category for " inappropriate use of slow motion just for the hell of it"..

i know what i am like with a new toy!! and i think it would make people think about when and why they would slow-mo something as i imagine watching
loads of shots of slow-mo stuff...just coz its a new trick , rather than adding
something to the film.

mind...

what do i know!!:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

cheers

Aaron Koolen
04-07-2006, 01:48 AM
First what NLE are you using?

Second, can you tell me how you'd get slow mo from that? Are you going to stretch the clip on the time line? Normally if you drop, say a 30fps clip on a 24fps timeline, it will just convert it (Interpolating as needed). How can you drop a 30fps clip on the time line and then tell fool the NLE that it's 24fps, so you get the slow mo? I'm trying to work this out for FCP and my 25fps to 24fps conversion that I have to do.

Beat Takeshi
04-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Combustion and the new after effects do pretty good slomo as long as you dont make it too slow. The new after effects added a time remapping thing thats easy to use. The old version was a pain.

Norm Sanders
04-07-2006, 10:24 AM
First what NLE are you using?

Second, can you tell me how you'd get slow mo from that? Are you going to stretch the clip on the time line? Normally if you drop, say a 30fps clip on a 24fps timeline, it will just convert it (Interpolating as needed). How can you drop a 30fps clip on the time line and then tell fool the NLE that it's 24fps, so you get the slow mo? I'm trying to work this out for FCP and my 25fps to 24fps conversion that I have to do.

I know for Vegas, all you have to do is right click on the clip, while it's in the timeline, and change it's property values with a drop down box ... which will then effect it's length & rate of play.