PDA

View Full Version : Sports Highlights

LuckyProducer
03-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Hey guys! This one high school football player wants Lucky Productions to make a sports highligh video for him to send to colleges. I would be really interested in getting into this field as well; although, I have never even seen a sports highlight video and I don't even know the format it's supposed to be in. I was thinking of trying to make it my own creation and making it different, but I would like to see some highlight videos to get the basic idea of what it is like. Does anyone know a website where I can view some athletes' sport highlights?

All I know is that I would have to film one or two of his games (depending on how much he wants to spend) and probably do some interviews. Thanks!

GILA
04-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Thats you're best bet. Jot down camera angles and ideas watching it.

Steve-O
04-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Whats up Lucky? I also am looking into doing this next year but I would proablly do it some what similar to a resume tape for a news photog. Ask the player to ask his coach to give you a copy of the coaches cam, this is what the college coaches want to see! I would start off with a graphic that has the players name, height, weight, school, position, stats, awards etc. Also contact information. Do not make the text too small a lot of coaches are older guys who may not have the best vision or are viewing the tape on a office 13" tv. Also use a sans sarif font(like Arial). Then I would compose a short montage. Show the best plays first. Do not do any fancy editing because the coach does not care how good of an editor you are. Then go back to your graphic of the players stats. Then show every play the player was in(somebody else might know if you should drop the bad plays) Remember, the coach is a very busy man and is proablly looking at many many tapes. So you have to grab his attention and sell him on your player. Also provide the coach a short guide to the tape. Also I would deliver on VHS, this could be going to small colleges who coaches do not have easy access to a dvd player. Just my .02 there are companies doing this a lot do a search and ask them there style, they might tell ya.

Good Luck

Steve-O
04-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Also call a good small school and ask the coach what he likes on his tapes. A grad asst or someone should be able to help. Try West Texas A&M in Canyon,TX they are a good div 2 program their guys should know. Heck their QB coach is Ryan Leaf. lol :)

myfriendimage
04-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Im doing that right now, usually the college has a guide to what they want to see.

LuckyProducer
04-16-2006, 08:33 PM
thanks a lot for the tips guys. How much do you think I should charge? He's a high school student. I don't know if he works or not, I'm guessing he does, but what do you think would be a good price for me to go to some games and do the editing? Should I charge him by games I attend? If so, how much. Let me know if you can. Thanks!

Hkyplayr10
05-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Log on to http://www.myspace.com/424films
These are some videos that I did for the Reading Jr. Royals Midget 18aa ice hockey team. I think that this style of sport highlight videos is much more appealing to watch than some other ones that I have seen. If you're just doing one player, the videos I have seen are just clips of the player with music playing in the background. As for the price, I used 30+ tapes to shoot the Royals games, using the Panasonic MQ tapes, that's roughly $180. If you went to two or three games, and put together like a 5-10 min reel, I would charge around $75-$100. If you have time, go to some local high school games and put a demo reel together to show prospective clients.