PDA

View Full Version : SI1920 HD Camera

jamestmather
03-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody had used this equipment and what they thought of it.

http://www.siliconimaging.com/ - go to digital cinema link and look at the 1920 HD - sounds interesting no?

Has anybody independent tested this system? etc

Thanks

James

JanBee
03-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Damned, I know there was a thread not too long ago, and I think it was here. But I can't find it.

The specs really sound great, though I think you'd go with the USB and not the Cameralink version, since the data rate of the latter is just enormous. But otherwise... CMOS should be fine (Arri D20 uses CMOS too, I think), 2/3" size, price for the USB version starts at $1K (well - just 1.3MP).

If there is anyone here in this forum who knows what the drawback of these babes were - I'm VERY eager to read!

EDIT: I was wrong, the USB version does not support HD frame sizes. And the Cameralink version has a mindbogglingly high data rate. Dunno if there is any device that can reduce that on-the-fly.

JanBee
03-21-2006, 01:38 PM
I got a reply to my Email. They say, right now it is not really optimized for indie film acquisition. But they work on that.

We should be prepared to be blown away at upcoming NAB!

WOW! I am excited :-)

jamestmather
03-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Did they say something about NAB?

JanBee
03-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Yap, he mentioned NAB and that there is going to be something for indie film makers - but asked not to post any more details.

I am pretty curious!