PDA

View Full Version : Craft Services

Larry Rutledge
03-16-2006, 07:49 PM
As I am preparing for my FIRST DVXFest entry I started thinking about all the things I need to do. One of those is craft services...since I'm not paying anybody, I should at least feed them...right?

Anyway, I was wondering what others have done on their shoots. What kinds of food/drink/etc did you serve? Was it catered? Or did you do it yourself?

Just looking for ideas.

Thanks,
Larry

Brandon Rice
03-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Ok... I am gunna sound like a loser here, but I scheduled my shoots so most of them wouldn't intersect meal times. I had bottled water on set for the actors. I did have one day where lunch intersected, so I took my two actors, plus my sound guy, and my co-director to Panda Express. LOL! Spent about 70 bucks on all food, and drinks for four seperate shoots.

Barry_S
03-16-2006, 09:32 PM
I don't care what you skimp on, but for god's sake feed your cast and crew--and feed them well. It doesn't matter if you get them Chinese takeout or your mom makes lasagna, but feed them. Have healthy snacks and plenty of bottled water, too. It's not only an unwritten law, but it makes total sense. Everyone has friends/family that can cook, so no-budget is not an excuse.

Shaun Patrick
03-17-2006, 04:02 AM
I don't care what you skimp on, but for god's sake feed your cast and crew--and feed them well. It doesn't matter if you get them Chinese takeout or your mom makes lasagna, but feed them. Have healthy snacks and plenty of bottled water, too. It's not only an unwritten law, but it makes total sense. Everyone has friends/family that can cook, so no-budget is not an excuse.

Amen.

i_&_t
03-17-2006, 09:58 AM
on our zombie shoot we were going from a.m. throughout the entire day. we had donuts and coffee one morning and croissants/muffins and coffee the other morning. we had bottled water (lots) and sodas for through the day. pizza in the afternoon. everyone seemed happy. you definately want everyone to feel appreciated, not to mention energized. if you are shooting in the morning definately get a big thing of coffee from a local coffee shop- i don't know where we would have been without it! have fun!:)

spidey
03-17-2006, 10:47 AM
ALWAYS HAVE FOOD. no exceptions. If you don't fee people yoiu most likely wont have a very great career. Worked on a show recently people were always hungry the director got mad about feeding people. I didnt eat just so people would get enough because he was skipping on the food. you know that shows me cares about him self a little bit more than his crew. if you're not paying for help you better be serving them, they don't have to work for you.

i mean come on, pizza is easy if all else fails, just make sure you get types that acomindate to all (vegetarians etc.) and have salads or something for vegans. then have lots of water and soda and small snacks and you're set.

never skip on food. come on guys.

Mike McNeese
03-17-2006, 11:48 AM
And give some credits to your caterer. My wife would've killed me if she didn't make the credits on my last short.

Norm Sanders
03-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Lasagna is always really well rec'd, especially if you offset it with salad, etc. You could feed a pretty good sized cast & crew for less than $30 for a meal ... with left overs.

We're expecting our food budget to probably be around $400, since we'll have four full days of shooting. I'm trying to work out a deal with a caterer that she'll provide the labor, and I'll cover the hard costs of food (at her cost) ... in exchange, I'll barter video production services when she needs them.

Otherwise, my wife is ready to step in, or I may be able to find a friend or two to help.

Otherwise, LOTS and LOTS of water. Also have on hand a lot of canned pop, and other things people may like to have available, yet if they don't open & use are things you can keep afterwards & use for a party, etc.

We tried to make sure we always had coffee, water, pop, vegetable/fruity tray, and M&M's available for constant snacking. Then bring out the big meal for your 30 minute break.