PDA

View Full Version : How do I???

Tim Miller
03-14-2006, 05:36 PM
I don't even know what to call it, a montage?

Basically what I want to do is take a single picture, scan in in high res.

Then chop it up into seperate squares.

Final product will be these seperate squares of the single picture in frameless picture frames.

It would be great to have some sections bigger then others but all the pictures all created the entire picture...

Am I making sense?

Thanks

Matt Grunau
03-15-2006, 07:51 AM
Sure. That would be easy. Double click on your locked background layer, then name it, unlocking it. Using the retangular Marquee tool, select regions of your background layer. Then Cut and Paste, and that section will be removed from the backgrond layer and placed on a new one. Keep on going until you have as many parts you want. Then, Ctrl click on the one of the new layers, copy, and then Ctrl+N to make a new document and Ctrl+V to paste. The new document will be formed to the dimentions of what is on the clipboard, so you wont have to crop or remove extra space. Continue untill all the pieces you selected are their own documents.

Tim Miller
03-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Well crap, I should of figured that out. Thanks! I thought there was a actual selection to do this. Thanks again.

Matt Grunau
03-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Well crap, I should of figured that out. Thanks! I thought there was a actual selection to do this. Thanks again.

heh. You can use the knife tool as well.

Don't know how well it will work with print size files, but that's how you would slice up an image for web use and loading.

Tim Miller
03-22-2006, 08:06 PM
I have a question,

So I got the part about breaking the picture up.

Here is the photo:

http://home.mchsi.com/~mtschopp/wsb/media/1431202/site1007.jpg
sorry about the size...

I want to break it up so it is really big.

The middle part, the most in focus, I want to be the largest (something like 4 foot by 2 foot - whatever so it looks accurate). Then there will be other parts of the photo in other frames adding to the entire picture.

If I do the copy and paste, etc, is kinkos, staples whatever able to print out them so they are accuartely sized???

Am I making sense?

Help me obi wan, you are my only hope.

Matt Grunau
03-23-2006, 07:49 AM
You will be lucky to find anyplace that can print in excess of 48", and you are definately going to pay through the nose for it. At the school where I worked, our plotters could handle up to 42", and the photopaper was something on the order of $1 per square foot. That's just the base cost of the paper. Since we didn't have to pay anyone more for the cost of using a "print shop", the price was very low compared to what's out there.

To your main question, no, unless you tell them to, the prints will be on whatever size paper they use. if you have a pic that's only 1'X1', and their paper is 42" across, you will have your pic with all that extra 30" of paper included. And you are going to probably pay the same as if it was one huge pic. knowing that, your best option would be to have maybe only 2 - 3 documents, each one holding as many pics as possible to fill out as much of the paper's width as you can.

If you request they be cut down to size, that may cost extra as well. To be honest, it's not even something you need them to do anyway though. Simply put a garrish color border (maybe " thick around each pic) and cut them to size yourself. Or, if you are going to get them framed, the place framing them will definately be able to cut them down, but that will cost more too. I'de go that route and pay the extra to have the framing place do it. It's what they are paid to do, and I have had some local framing companies do just that and the results have been great. My real error was not knowing before hand (as I prepped the Photoshop document) the width of the frame borders, and though they were only ", I lost that info under the frame. Doesn't sound like much, but that's a full inch Horiziontally and vertically, and when you are trying to do what you want to with multiple frames creating a full picture, then it becomes 1" sections from each frame to the next. That's quite a lot of lost info.

That's a hell of a nice pic, and losing that much info would really slam it. Find out first how large you plan on having the frame borders be, and then when you are making your Photoshop doc, increase the canvas size (NOT the image size) appropriately and put in an extra layer for the background, set it to a very noticable color, and tell the framing company to cut the outside of the colored border.

Remember: Photo quaility is at LEAST 300dpi. You are going to have on hell of a large document. Count on it being in the hundreds of megs, and for the really big section, close to a gig.

Lastly, all printers (for our purposes) are CMYK format, which does not have nearly as many colors or vibrance as RGB. So you may have to adjust your pic's pallet accordingly. Just don't save as a CMYK color space (if you choose to convert it) in .jpg format. Make it a .tif.

Hope that helps.

Toodles! :love4:

Tim Miller
03-23-2006, 06:44 PM
I was hoping to use framless borders. I guess I could make them 8X10s (and smaller) to create the entire picture. Making it whatever size I can because I have a big wall to use. The trouble then (for me a photoshop amateur) is breaking the picture up so there is a ton of pieces that will fit the 8x10 or 4x6 or whatever when it is printed out. I don't really care how many it takes either.

I agree about not losing information (its from our wedding), the gaps in between the pictures would have to be small. I think you know what I am going for, here is a very rough idea:

http://home.mchsi.com/%7Emtschopp/wsb/media/1431202/site1009.jpg

This is for our anniversary...I have kind of waited till the last minute because my friend, who knows photoshop, says it was easy to do what I wanted to do. But thanks for all the help.

Matt Grunau
03-24-2006, 10:27 PM
I was hoping to use framless borders. I guess I could make them 8X10s (and smaller) to create the entire picture. Making it whatever size I can because I have a big wall to use. The trouble then (for me a photoshop amateur) is breaking the picture up so there is a ton of pieces that will fit the 8x10 or 4x6 or whatever when it is printed out. I don't really care how many it takes either.

I agree about not losing information (its from our wedding), the gaps in between the pictures would have to be small. I think you know what I am going for, here is a very rough idea:

http://home.mchsi.com/%7Emtschopp/wsb/media/1431202/site1009.jpg

This is for our anniversary...I have kind of waited till the last minute because my friend, who knows photoshop, says it was easy to do what I wanted to do. But thanks for all the help.

I wouldn't go for all 8X10s, your original idea was great. Frameless boarders will really help out here. But if you were going to go with a layout similar to the one above, that may be able to be done with one sheet. Great layout.