PDA

View Full Version : HDCAM to HDV: it seems impossible!

macgregor
03-13-2006, 05:42 AM
hello. I just came back from a shooting where we used a Sony f750 HDCAM.

Now the issue is that i wanted this tapes to be converted into HDV but i cannot find any place/any deck capable of this. The Sony HDV deck does not have HDsdi inputs.

So my only chance is to ask for a HDD capture wich costs a lot of money (230 minuts) or either building myself a HD editing suite that could work with Vegas, and i dont know where to start (is the HD cineform codec de only choice?).

esperman
03-13-2006, 06:07 AM
why edit in hdv? Even hard core hdv fans use cineform?

macgregor
03-13-2006, 07:10 AM
hdv to cineform looses quality. I dont like it.

Still that is not the problem here.

Elton
03-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Actually, you lose more quality anytime you render HDV. It does another pass of harsh MPEG2 25mbit compression on the material. This is why a lot of folks are going the intermediate route. Even with cuts only you have to rebuild GOP's often with HDV, which can take quite a spell to render.

Cineform is a great alternative to this.

esperman
03-13-2006, 07:40 AM
hdv to cineform looses quality. I dont like it.

Still that is not the problem here.
actually the cineform is the better codec.

If your really wanting HDV...just get a SDI-Component adapter.

Barry_Green
03-13-2006, 10:43 AM
SDI-component won't do you any good either, as there is no HDV product that takes component input.

If you want to go from HDCAM to HDV, the only way to do it is to import the HDCAM into a computer NLE and render out an HDV stream from that.

macgregor
03-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks Barry, i just got confirmation of that an hour ago.

Elton, i might record in HDV format but i never go back to HDV again, so converting to cineform is pointless to me.

Elton
03-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Well, you can't convert to the HDCAM codec in software, so you have to look at uncompressed or good Intra-frame codecs like Cineform or PhotoJPEG.

I think the issue is what codec is practical in an offline edit that is of online quality. I think Cineform of Canopus HQ codecs are good alternatives.

Ralph Oshiro
03-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Mac:

You could do it with this:

http://www.rezfactor.com/

But why do you want to?