PDA

View Full Version : Official Hero-Fest Rules

Barry_S
03-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Hero-Fest

The Rules:

* Use a DVX100 or HVX200, shoot 24p and 16x9 (either squeeze or letterbox)

* Films made with other cameras will be accepted for exhibition, but not competition.

* Films must be 5 minutes or less

* Your film theme must be Super Hero

Note: There is no official definition of Super Hero, it's up to the filmmakers to decide what constitutes a "Super Hero". Please don't worry about what other people think your film should be about--the point of DVXfest is to stimulate creative filmmaking.

* Films must be made between February 28, 2006 and May 30, 2006

* No copyright violations, you *must* use licensed or royalty-free music

* No previous entries in DVXfest are allowed, this must be a new film

* Submission format will be announced

* DVXuser will host Film Entries.

* All entries are due by midnight on May 30, 2006

* The festival judging is only open to current DVXuser members with more than 100 posts. To Enter a film, you need at least 1 post. You may not recruit family or friends vote for your film. Until the voting is complete and closed, filmmakers may not promote their films on DVXUser or *any* external web site, or use any other means of promotion. Films will be judged exclusively on merit by DVXuser members.

* By entering, you agree that your film can be used on a Hero-Fest or other DVXuser DVD and agree to provide an AVI or MOV file as requested.

* Violation of these rules may result in disqualification of an entry.

* Qualifying films will be screened and voted on by DVXuser.com members.

More details (including prizes) to be announced.

Brandon Rice
03-12-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm so excited! Got a new idea yesterday! Thanks for some more definite details Barry!

Norm Sanders
03-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Just a quick suggestion for film makers that are going to have material up on a server for "friends and family to view". Place the stuff in a folder that is password protected, and give the password & username to those you want to have access to it (i.e. cast, crew, etc.). Don't take the chance of having your film LOOK like it's being promoted, even though that's not your intention.

Brandon Rice
03-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Totally agree with that Norm, or make it an obscure link that you only give out to cast/crew.

Norm Sanders
03-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Barry_S, is it possible to have a little more definition placed on SUPER HERO? I only question it as we've already busted our butt and have completed a 2nd draft for something that is concrete SUPER HERO type story & character(s) ... I would much rather have ran with my previous HERO idea, though it could have been more ambigious and open to interpretation ... but it would have allowed for a stronger more moving story.

It could be frusterating to have incredibly written story do really well, that wasn't necessarily as confined by actual SUPER HERO elements, only because it was left up to their interpretation ... potentially leaving things an uneven playing field in the end.

Just a thought/concern. Zombies was VERY clear cut, and left little room for error.

Norm Sanders
03-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Totally agree with that Norm, or make it an obscure link that you only give out to cast/crew.

Yes, but anyone who uses another host for their server/site (i.e. POWWEB, BLUE HOST, IPOWERWEB, etc.) can easily just thow the password up there ... otherwise, that obscure link could get posted by a buddy on some forum, then it gets spread, etc.

After seeing what could have been the top film, SIMILO, get ejected for promotions, I'd imagine people will want to be very careful this time around & in the future.

Kholi
03-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Barry_S, is it possible to have a little more definition placed on SUPER HERO? I only question it as we've already busted our butt and have completed a 2nd draft for something that is concrete SUPER HERO type story & character(s) ... I would much rather have ran with my previous HERO idea, though it could have been more ambigious and open to interpretation ... but it would have allowed for a stronger more moving story.

It could be frusterating to have incredibly written story do really well, that wasn't necessarily as confined by actual SUPER HERO elements, only because it was left up to their interpretation ... potentially leaving things an uneven playing field in the end.

Just a thought/concern. Zombies was VERY clear cut, and left little room for error.

I'm in with Norm on this one. Sci-Fi is very clear cut, as well. While broad, it still meant "science fiction" and that's what the winners were. The scary briefcase was still science-fiction, and so was Spidey's version of androids.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Hero-Fest

Note: There is no official definition of Super Hero, it's up to the filmmakers to decide what constitutes a "Super Hero". Please don't worry about what other people think your film should be about--the point of DVXfest is to stimulate creative filmmaking.

Barry I feel it must be qualified if a normal human beings can be included.

They are not SUPER by definition of walking through walls

but in your official definition you excluded everyday heroes such as the check out girl, say for supporting her family and working a job she doesn't like veryday, but left it broad enough to include firemen or the checkout girl if she threw herself infront of a bullet to save someone else.

No one needs SUPER HERO defined for them.

But its called HERO fest, and your OFFICIAL DEFINITION OF A SUPER HERO just defined HERO as I have stated above.

So while were each capable of creating superheros without being told what should be allowed, we need to be told if non Batman like mortals are allowed.

I think we can all agree on BATMAN types even though he has no superpowers but sort of just because he wears a SUPER HERO costume.

But there ARE FIVE THREADS going on right now not debating whether other types of MORTAL HEROS can be included -- given that you are not looking for ESSAYS on the NOBILITY of RAISING A FAMILY, or quiet selflessnes, we do need a definitive word on this as people are trashing ideas they have started, etc.

Thanks contest runner type dudes :beer:

Kholi
03-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Barry I feel it must be qualified if a normal human beings can be included.

They are not SUPER by definition of walking through walls

but in your official definition you excluded everyday heroes such as the check out girl, say for supporting her family and working a job she doesn't like veryday, but left it broad enough to include firemen or the checkout girl if she threw herself infront of a bullet to save someone else.

No one needs SUPER HERO defined for them.

But its called HERO fest, and your OFFICIAL DEFINITION OF A SUPER HERO just defined HERO as I have stated above.

So while were each capable of creating superheros without being told what should be allowed, we need to be told if non Batman like mortals are allowed.

I think we can all agree on BATMAN types even though he has no superpowers but sort of just because he wears a SUPER HERO costume.

But there ARE FIVE THREADS going on right now not debating whether other types of MORTAL HEROS can be included -- given that you are not looking for ESSAYS on the NOBILITY of RAISING A FAMILY, or quiet selflessnes, we do need a definitive word on this as people are trashing ideas they have started, etc.

Thanks contest runner type dudes :beer:

Batman is totally accepted. What I want to know is if GOOD SAMARITAN is going to qualify in this contest. That's my whole deal.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Batman is totally accepted. What I want to know is if GOOD SAMARITAN is going to qualify in this contest. That's my whole deal.

Yeah that's what I was saying on Batman.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION
I think good samaritan that feeds homeless children -- should be NO.

I think good samaritan that grabs the billy club off a dead cop after he''s been shot on the subway and then beats the killer to death before he can harm an old lady on the subway -- should be OK.

Kholi
03-12-2006, 09:21 PM

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION

I think good samaritan that grabs the billy club off a dead cop after he''s been shot on the subway and then beats the killer to death before he can harm an old lady on the subway -- should be OK.

Such a dark mind for such a humble man. O_o....

Norm Sanders
03-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Only if that good samaritan peels the skin off the killer & wears it like a cape afterwards.

Kholi
03-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Only if that good samaritan peels the skin off the killer & wears it like a cape afterwards.

ROFLMFAO wtf? You dudes are sick.

I'm just going to continue doing what I was doing. I won't even make the NEW deadline if I keep thinking and wondering about everything else.

Barry_S
03-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm just going to continue doing what I was doing. I won't even make the NEW deadline if I keep thinking and wondering about everything else.

Bingo! Give the man a cookie. Continue what you're working on and make your film. Debating the definition will waste your time and just make me crazy. Jarred and I aren't going to be disqualifying any films based on someone's creative interpretation of the theme. If you make a film for DVXfest and have fun doing it and make something you're proud of, and other people enjoy it--then mission accomplished! :beer:

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2006, 09:39 PM
It looks like our major categories are:

SUPERMANlike Super Hero: Humanoid (most likely) with abilities beyond normal human powers
AGREED on as QUALIFYING

BATMANlike "Super" Hero: Mortal human witha fulltime crimefighting job, probably wears a costume and has a secret identity
AGREED on AS QUALIFYING

HUDSONlike Hero: Can open a can of whoopass and feels a moral imperative to do so, but its not a full time gig. (also includes meek individuals who rise to a Hudson like status in extraordinary situation).
PREVIOUSLY DEBATED

PK Gillocklike "Hero" or samaritan: makes the world a better place by looking out for the little guy. Not likely to get physical.
PREVIOUSLY DEBATED

Checkout Girlike Unsung Hero: Lives a quiet mundane life of self sacrifice.
AGREED on AS NOT QUALIFYING

Kholi
03-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Bingo! Give the man a cookie. Continue what you're working on and make your film. Debating the definition will waste your time and just make me crazy. Jarred and I aren't going to be disqualifying any films based on someone's creative interpretation of the theme. If you make a film for DVXfest and have fun doing it and make something you're proud of, and other people enjoy it--then mission accomplished! :beer:

Aww, I got a back pat from a mod. :cheesy: I win, the rest of you lose. Just Kidding.

Now, where's the prizes!??:Drogar-Evil(DBG):

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2006, 09:42 PM
ah just saw your post barry and that is definatley a DEFINITATIVE reply, and what I suspected -- just needed that official word - not for you and Jarred but to squelch al those -- some Mods included that were saying -- what's wrong with you guys -- it HAS to be a SUPER hero who can do SUPER things.

which I had just been told by a NY DVXuser at the meeting today that non Super types were officially OUT as per one of the other threads.

thanks again

Jack

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Aww, I got a back pat from a mod. :cheesy: I win, the rest of you lose. Just Kidding.

Now, where's the prizes!??:Drogar-Evil(DBG):

yes - especially since some people were being made fun of for saying that it didn't have to be super.

but the down side is that my EXTREMELY funny post defining PK and HUDSON as heroic archetypes was overlooked by the official, definative post :cry: :grin:

Norm Sanders
03-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Funny, Jack? That had nothing on my comment about the guy pulling the killer's skin off and prancing around in it like a cape. That was just pure gold, baby!

Kholi
03-12-2006, 09:53 PM
yes - especially since some people were being made fun of for saying that it didn't have to be super.

but the down side is that my EXTREMELY funny post defining PK and HUDSON as heroic archetypes was overlooked by the official, definative post :cry: :grin:

I didn't overlook it! I laughed, I cried, I continued writing my Hero Fest entry... errr... or started page one finally. LOL

Good luck, everyone.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2006, 09:58 PM
But, Norm ... that got commented on by Kholi -- and while it was funny -- I think mine was much more cleverester :cheesy:

And thanks for the validation Kholi :cry: I feel much better about myself now :laugh:

Edgen
03-12-2006, 09:59 PM
frak it. I'm in :) I'll have to bootleg/shiznaggle a DVX, but that shouldn't be a problem.

... and the script writing begins!
/j

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2006, 10:04 PM
shizznagle, lol

SHIZZZNAGLE MAN!

ok now I just gotta write it:)

Kholi
03-12-2006, 10:06 PM
But, Norm ... that got commented on by Kholi -- and while it was funny -- I think mine was much more cleverester :cheesy:

And thanks for the validation Kholi :cry: I feel much better about myself now :laugh:

The Jack is funny. The Kholi is just slow at respondoring. xD

Great to see Edgen is coming in as well.

Fun times.

Norm Sanders
03-12-2006, 10:20 PM
frak it. I'm in :) I'll have to bootleg/shiznaggle a DVX, but that shouldn't be a problem.

/j

AGH! But who will score our films!? :)

Folks, watch out. Justin is INSANELY talented, in not just music, but graphics, story, etc. Heavy hitter.

Edgen
03-12-2006, 10:21 PM
I think we've all shizznaggled equipment before. All I have to say.... and your film will be awesome. So awesome.. It's..

"China Ball"
-A solution to all your filmmaking needs.

norm. Multitask my friend :) (and no TV). 5 minute films are not so bad. Depends on how picky the director is :)

/j

Norm Sanders
03-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Our composer will have their hands full, as we're not going to all this time & trouble of FX, locations, schedules, etc. for just a 5 minute film. We'll likely have a 10-15 minute film, that we'll submit a 5 minute cut of, hopefully hitting all the maint points of the film.

The composer will need to score the full length, then make the score work for the 5 minute one as well. Ouch, huh?

Brandon Rice
03-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Sounds a lot like how we did our sci-fest entry.

vidled
03-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Wanted to suggest that 25p should also be allowed!
:)

Peter Murphy
03-13-2006, 01:12 AM
I want to make a movie!

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-13-2006, 01:16 AM
then thou shall goforth and make one!
and yeah ye shall use all thy sculpty might,
and maketh superhero cowls and masks and other
such thingies which take thy sculptorious fancy.

Peter Murphy
03-13-2006, 01:54 AM

It thou hast commandest thine to moveth forward to don thineself in thine own armor and shield, and to declare that thine shall goeth and maketh a flicker of the tempest thou calls tape, or shouldst thine speaketh of the tape as called the tempest to become flicker. These words and such shall never beknownst to an earth none flattest. If such things were of mysterie, wouldst the cherubim continue their play amongst the oaken swings about the stars and thine light? I mean, Thanks Jack D. I'll do my best.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-13-2006, 01:55 AM
yeah err ... I meant you could probably sculpt something cool for it :cheesy:

Edgen
03-13-2006, 02:36 AM
It thou hast commandest thine to moveth forward to don thineself in thine own armor and shield, and to declare that thine shall goeth and maketh a flicker of the tempest thou calls tape, or shouldst thine speaketh of the tape as called the tempest to become flicker. These words and such shall never beknownst to an earth none flattest. If such things were of mysterie, wouldst the cherubim continue their play amongst the oaken swings about the stars and thine light? I mean, Thanks Jack D. I'll do my best.
amen brotha.

From the land that floweth of milk and honey (lost angels, ca).

hehhehehe...
"Don thineself."
that in itself is righteous in its very own and dignified right.

Superhero... Such a huge broad term. There are so many superheroes in my own life that I would consider. of course.... consideration is all dependent on the budget and qualifications of talented pixel pushers to enhance your vision. Then again... can you accomplish your goal of super hero powers without the use of visual FX/CGI? I think this project is border line sci-fi superhero. Both of which... hells bells ya.

again. great community here and who's the ringleader and where do i sign up?

also.. I'm going to get my roommates involved... all of which are writers/directors/actors/actresses. (holy cow.. it'll be a madhouse here the next few months in superhero pandemonium

:shocked:

/j

Cinestarproductions
03-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Let's get this contest on!.......Dirty Dancing Style!!!!!:nads:

Brandon Rice
03-13-2006, 09:14 AM
HAHAHA! Love your banner Jack!

Mino
03-13-2006, 10:58 AM

/j

Hey Justin...Good to see your name on the board:) Welcome to DVXuser. I'm looking forward to seeing your work

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-13-2006, 11:02 AM
again. great community here and who's the ringleader and where do i sign up?
/j

you just did brotha

way it works is someytime in the next couple of months they'll announce a submission format

then around may 30th they'll put up an ftp upload link and say COME ON!

and however many filmmakers upload at that time are accepted

so no need to pre register or anything

just make sure you look at the official rules sticky at the top of the Hero Fest subforum, because there are requirements like 24p and widescreen and things like that.

Beat Takeshi
03-13-2006, 11:38 AM

HAIL!!!

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Sleet

Larry Rutledge
03-13-2006, 02:01 PM
HAIL!!

Sleet

Try as you might you cannot keep the mailman from his duty!

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-13-2006, 02:12 PM
...:)

Peter Murphy
03-13-2006, 06:45 PM
I have a question, are we aloud to have historical characters in our films? Perhaps a founding father or some other early american figure?

J.R. Hudson
03-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Hell yeah !

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-13-2006, 06:54 PM
sure why not ... its not like those imageas are copywritten ... yet.

lol, now I'm imagining the "League of Founding Fathers"!

they live in Mount Rushmore, fly through the air, attack with mighty enertgy bolt shooting quills, throw wig powder in the face of their enemies to disarm them ... and each has a special ability ... like Georgr washington can bight through any substance with his super wooden teeth, lol

Kholi
03-13-2006, 08:18 PM
sure why not ... its not like those imageas are copywritten ... yet.

lol, now I'm imagining the "League of Founding Fathers"!

they live in Mount Rushmore, fly through the air, attack with mighty enertgy bolt shooting quills, throw wig powder in the face of their enemies to disarm them ... and each has a special ability ... like Georgr washington can bight through any substance with his super wooden teeth, lol

What the hell, Jack?

Are you drinking/drunk?

Edgen
03-13-2006, 08:27 PM
I have a question... What about promotion? I was reading on another thread that you are not allowed to post the film anywhere else? or... how does that work? example.. storyboards, or production notes. Or.. does the film need to be kept secret until the winners are announced.

clarify if you can. Thanks!

Jack Daniel Stanley drunk? Duh. Just look at the name :)

/j

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-13-2006, 08:28 PM
What the hell, Jack?

Are you drinking/drunk?

are you kidding?

that' just how I roll homey

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-13-2006, 08:31 PM
I have a question... What about promotion? I was reading on another thread that you are not allowed to post the film anywhere else? or... how does that work? example.. storyboards, or production notes. Or.. does the film need to be kept secret until the winners are announced.

clarify if you can. Thanks!

Jack Daniel Stanley drunk? Duh. Just look at the name :)

/j
NO PROMOTION ANYWHERE UNTIL AFTER THE FEST :)

SHOW THE WORLD WHEN THE FEST IS OVER.

It's a serious issue and a film that was very good was disqualified over it in Sci Fest.

DVXuser wants the films to be judged soley on merit (as much as that's ever possible) and not influenced by hype (to the extent that that's possible as well)

Edgen
03-13-2006, 08:38 PM
That sounds fair. :)

Ok.. now.. This is a specialty question. I've been contacted to do a few of the films' soundtrack. +plus... i'm making my own film and submitting it as well. That's not going to disqualify me would it? (because i would have seen 3-4 of them already) :)

/j

Brandon Rice
03-13-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't think so... I think privately working together with others is accepted. As long as the film has no public display or promotion, you're all good.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-13-2006, 08:41 PM
No not at all colaboration is encouraged.

So a member can totally say to a select other: Hey I can't get this explosion to look real, can you help me with it? I'll send you the clip.

now you wouldn't want to start a thread that posted the clip and said hey anybody can you help me make this explosion look real.

last fest composer Chris Hurn did somewhere between 3-5 films so obviously he saw all those -- it would have still been fine if he made his own film as well.

Beat Takeshi
03-13-2006, 08:48 PM
besides if you take the top 3 spots for score then YOU BE DA MAN!!!

Anthem78
03-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Which Sci-Fest film was canned due to promotion?

Edgen
03-14-2006, 08:10 PM
coo... just wanted to clarify. I seriously doubt I'll be able to tackle 3-5 films like chris! Geezus! what a machine! ;) I suppose it would depend on the complexity of the score. I dig whole notes and if the director digs whole notes too, i think we've got an easy job. then again. directors can be tough and easy at the same time. The 'ideal' job for a composer is to get a 'general' feel for the scene and then have him say... "k buddy.. do what you do best..." ahhhh the bliss.

I'm excited. I think i've got a good idea for my own film. Now... to find some locos and some kids. so far, those who i've talked with, their scripts and ideas are nothing like mine. I'm dreading a similarity.

good times ahead. good times.

/j

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Which Sci-Fest film was canned due to promotion?

I'll PM you since i don't know if the whole story -- if it was an accident, or misunderstanding or what, and while it's common knowledge its best moved on from in the public arena .... so like i said I'll PM you.

Norm Sanders
03-15-2006, 02:15 PM
JD, I don't think it's anything that needs to be swept under the rug. Jarred/Barry_S had publicly announced it in the WINNERS thread (I think it was that thread), albiet a very short quick note about the DQ.

So aside from the fact that it's public anyway, I think it's also good for the new film makers to know how serious the rules against promotion are ... so serious that the film that likely could have taken 1st place (guaranteed top 3), was DQ'd ... it makes a bold statement & example.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-15-2006, 03:00 PM
No I said a film was DQed -- that's not sweeping it under the rug and I warned people -- I just didn't wanna bust out with the name, kinda felt like talking about someone when they weren't there to defend themselves for somereason.

But I already said that either a film that woulda won or would have done well or something was DQed in this thread and not to promote :)

And as for 1st place, the filmmaker let me know his score, which was a full point over the 1st place score. So yeah, he woulda won 1st.

Norm Sanders
03-15-2006, 04:59 PM
WOW! A full point? That's insane, considering how close the other top ones were.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-15-2006, 06:04 PM
yep.

Zombie fest was like that too.

Texas Fortune was like an 8.5 and the I was a 7.6 and there was less than a couple of 10ths of a point between me and disjecta and hudson I think (I'm just remembering of the top of my head)

Peter Murphy
03-21-2006, 06:06 PM
man. I just thought I would mark the 6 day anniversary of Jack's last post in this topic.

lucidz
03-23-2006, 06:39 AM
Prizes? :D

Not that my sorry ass will win any :)

spidey
03-23-2006, 09:00 AM
yeah any word on prizes yet?

CineMark
03-28-2006, 06:51 PM
still waiting for that update on prizes...

Curugon
03-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Patience! It takes time to secure sponsors, and honestly, the longer the wait the better the prizes will be.

Also, I'd really love to see a screening event for this fest. A lot of DVXers are near southern Cali, and now that Jarred's in LA, perhaps a screening room could be arranged? Lots of possibilities.

Kholi
03-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Patience! It takes time to secure sponsors, and honestly, the longer the wait the better the prizes will be.

Also, I'd really love to see a screening event for this fest. A lot of DVXers are near southern Cali, and now that Jarred's in LA, perhaps a screening room could be arranged? Lots of possibilities.

That's a cool idea.

snodart
03-28-2006, 08:03 PM
I second that.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-28-2006, 09:59 PM
somebody talked about this once and Jarred and Barry thought it was a cool idea, but nothing ever came of it ...

Let's do it...

Peter Murphy
03-28-2006, 10:29 PM
I own a megaplex with seven digital projectors, stadium seating and popcorn machines in each armrest, we could do it at my place if I were feeling generous, but I think I'd rather keep it all to myself, sorry.

Brandon Rice
03-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Dude, don't be hoarding the goods!

snodart
03-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Hey Peter Murphy,
I just checked out your website. Some great work.

Aaron Koolen
03-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey guys, never done a DVXFest before and hoping my DVX100b arrives mid April so might give the comp a go. So, just wanting to know, do we need to send our footage or just supply a URL?

I ask cause I'm in New Zealand and it might take a couple weeks to send if it needs to be done that way.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-29-2006, 10:12 PM
if its the same as last 2 contests

you upload to a link that Jarred provides

again if last two contests are precedent setting he'll provide the link close to the deadline

so you don't have to worry about it until they tell us what teh delivery method and formayt are

cheshiregrin33
03-30-2006, 10:43 AM
are credits and titles included in the length requirements and if so do you have the option of leaving them out?

Barry_S
03-30-2006, 10:52 AM
It's up to you whether to have credits, but the total length (with or without credits) can't exceed 5 minutes.

Future user
03-30-2006, 06:02 PM
What constitutes promotion?

Barry_S
03-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Any method of generating pre-screening publicity for your film. Promoting your film on this or any other website, making any promotional materials like banners or graphics that are specific to your film, writing about your film, posting screen grabs or clips--anything that would generate specific interest in your film.

The whole idea is to let everyone concentrate on the art of filmmaking without worrying about doing promotion. Ideally, voters should be watching all of the films without any preconceived notions and as little bias as possible when choosing which films to watch.

What constitutes promotion?

Thomas J. O'Hara
03-30-2006, 08:48 PM
I own a megaplex with seven digital projectors, stadium seating and popcorn machines in each armrest, we could do it at my place if I were feeling generous, but I think I'd rather keep it all to myself, sorry.

LOL!:2vrolijk_08:

Thomas J. O'Hara
03-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey Barry...I was thinking...during the contests people have their own threads to discuss their films, and I'm pretty darn sure people would be more likely to vote on the threads that are getting the most buzz...so would this constitute as promotion in a way?

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-30-2006, 09:43 PM
I think the BUZZ factor does influence things to a degree, but the threads are considered OK promoting as it is on DVXuser AFTER the contest has started.

A lot can be done by the filmmaker to have an "active" thread - mostly by responding to as many posts as you can and trying to give useful information about camera settings and SFX and such.

ideally they are a conversation about the film with people that are enthusiatic about that film and/or have CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms, rather than just a pep rally for the film or a BUZZ machine.

Thomas J. O'Hara
03-30-2006, 10:18 PM
well if it's purely for information purposes, shouldn't they just wait until the voting is closed?

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-30-2006, 11:13 PM
never said purely :)

I actually said that it was promotion but that it was condoned as it was after the festival started and only on DVXuser and that it I do feel it influences votes at least to some degree -- it has to.

But the contest would be 50% as fun without the dialogue going on during the excitement of the contest IMHO.

EDIT: also just rereading your post -- you said that you felt that folks would be more likley to vote "on" films with buzz rather than "for" films with buzz -- which could work in favor of the films with less buzz (or it could not) but if whatever the minimum number of votes per film is met (lets say its 30) and those thirty people all give it an average of 8, then it would still beat a film with 100 votes and an average of 7.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-30-2006, 11:33 PM
just curious about this since we were having this discussion

here's a comparision of number of replies (as if today) vs. the final place in the contest for each film and each film thread
note the number of replies between the 3rd place film and the 49th place film.

Number ----Final Place
of Replies --in contest
214 -------1st
204 ---------21st
195 ---------4th
181 --------2nd
144 ---------22nd
107 ---------24th
85 ----------29th
75 ---------3rd
71 ----------49th
67 ----------20th
67 ----------5th
64 ----------6th

Anthem78
04-03-2006, 06:30 PM
So it is okay to answer questions on your film after it has been submitted?

Jack Daniel Stanley
04-03-2006, 08:30 PM
almost right ... once you have submitted AND once the festival has actually started -- meaning the url has been published and people have started watching them. Then you start your own thread and answer questions.

go here and you can see examples of the type of discussion that goes on from last fest:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Mike McNeese
04-04-2006, 06:01 AM
About the promotion thing - I'm guessing that if a local newspaper wants to print a story about a production before the fest starts, that'd get one DQ'd?

gravehill
04-04-2006, 12:08 PM
* All entries are due by midnight on May 30, 2006

Just a thought. Since the people on this forum, and the ones participating Herofest are probably located in a rather wide area, how about adding the timezone information in this one?

Filmjunkie677
04-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Just a thought. Since the people on this forum, and the ones participating Herofest are probably located in a rather wide area, how about adding the timezone information in this one?

That's a soft deadline, I'm sure Jarred will be flexible. Sci-fest he gave everyone like an extra week. Don't worry, mang.

Jack Daniel Stanley
04-04-2006, 12:20 PM
all though timezone woulda been nice for voting which wasn't soft -- I didn't get to vote at all because I was moving, driving 10 hour days, even planned my day around getting to the hotel to vote (coulda voted when we stopped for dinner - got web access on my cell) but didn't think it was necessary ... but we were on BArry S time (east coast) nor Jarred Time (west coast) :cry:

Peter Murphy
04-12-2006, 07:29 PM
no but seriously, are there going to be prizes this time?

CineMark
04-12-2006, 08:18 PM
I'll bring it up again too...

Prizes?

Seriously, it would be nice to know as we're spending money into these films. I guess just the HOPE of a little payoff would be nice to keep us moving.

Thanks.

Mino
04-12-2006, 11:25 PM
I've yet to see a contest on this board that didn't come with some majorly cool prizes, Sci-fest alone had something to the order of...I forget the exact figure but it was way out there in the thousands. I'm sure it must take some time to get the sponsors on board, a lot of dedicated leg work has to be done by some really impressive people here at DVXuser. I would try not to worry so much about prizes but concentrate more on your film... The prizes will come as they always have. And remember, even if the DVXuser prize this time is a lolipop, you'll have a great film you can enter anywhere in the world and win far bigger things.

Larry Rutledge
04-13-2006, 07:59 AM
I agree, for me the prize is seeing a project through to completion...especially in the face of adversity. It seems that every project has issues and problems that try to keep it from being completed, so making it to the end with a completed film in hand is a great prize indeed.

But, when I win, I certainly won't turn down whatever prize has been established! :grin:

Kholi
04-13-2006, 10:55 AM
I agree, for me the prize is seeing a project through to completion...especially in the face of adversity. It seems that every project has issues and problems that try to keep it from being completed, so making it to the end with a completed film in hand is a great prize indeed.

But, when I win, I certainly won't turn down whatever prize has been established! :grin:

OOoOOooOh Big words big words, Larry.

Anthem78
04-13-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm starting to wonder the same thing...

CineMark
04-13-2006, 04:11 PM
I know, i know...

Barry_S
04-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Don't worry, we'll have prizes for the fest, but make the film for yourself. Your budget shouldn't have anything to do with the prizes, but what's reasonable for you to spend to produce a film. We're just the kick in the pants and the applause.:thumbsup:

CineMark
04-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks. I guess it's just always good to know someone's working for you on the other end.

That kick in the pants is what we needed to get us moving.

Thanks again.

Kholi
04-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Don't worry, we'll have prizes for the fest, but make the film for yourself. Your budget shouldn't have anything to do with the prizes, but what's reasonable for you to spend to produce a film. We're just the kick in the pants and the applause.:thumbsup:

Ten points for Barry.

Jack Daniel Stanley
04-13-2006, 10:11 PM
mebbe they're gonna reveal em all theatrical like on the official opening of the fest.

er suttin' like that mang.

Cryogenic Filmworks
04-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Would it fall within the rules to film some footage at 60i for the purpose of creating slow motion FX in your project?

CineMark
04-16-2006, 07:43 PM
I would sure hope so...

Jack Daniel Stanley
04-16-2006, 11:51 PM
yes of course -- the main thing they care about is that the moves are in unifrom format so that they can all play on the same DVD or be used for various purposes as a unit if need be

so since your 60i will be on a 24p or 24pA timeline and will become 24 fps basically, you will be fine.

Psynema
04-17-2006, 09:39 PM

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION

What if he juggles really really well

Jack Daniel Stanley
04-17-2006, 10:07 PM
What if he juggles really really well yes but only if he juggles the children ... while on fire ... the good samaraitan that is, not the children

david jerome
04-20-2006, 06:28 AM
Is there a problem outputing to 24p avi or mov file if you have edited on a 29.97 timeline? Am I correct understanding that we must output a 24p file. I am using Premiere. Thanks for any input.

Norm Sanders
04-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Yes, you must OUTPUT a 24p file.

Peter Murphy
05-03-2006, 10:56 PM
thespacebaronmykeyboarddoesntworksoitwouldbegreati foneoftheprizeswasasupercoolkeyboard.nowhiteplease !

Peter Murphy
05-03-2006, 10:57 PM
woahhowdidthatspaceendupinbetweentheiandfupthere,i fiknowhow,icouldcancelmyorderonbuy.com!ohitsjustwh enitcrossestheendsofthetypethingy,lame.

Larry Rutledge
05-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Hey Jarred...I don't know if you saw my posts in the Status threads, but I'm going to be REALLY pressing to get this thing done in time (I know...:violin: ). Is there any chance the May 30 date will be a "soft-deadline" like the last contest? :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Wow -- already???
Check out the pair on Larry after bitching about ths SCI FEST DVD so much.
LOL -- I'm lovin it!!!!!!

Ok while we are asking for stuff ... any chance we can go back to 6 minutes in length?

Huh? huh? please? please?

snodart
05-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Hey Jarred...I don't know if you saw my posts in the Status threads, but I'm going to be REALLY pressing to get this thing done in time (I know...:violin: ). Is there any chance the May 30 date will be a "soft-deadline" like the last contest? :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Soft deadline = good

Larry Rutledge
05-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Wow -- already???
Check out the pair on Larry after bitching about ths SCI FEST DVD so much.
LOL -- I'm lovin it!!!!!!

Ok while we are asking for stuff ... any chance we can go back to 6 minutes in length?

Huh? huh? please? please?
I was merely "reminding" on the Sci Fest DVD....nothing more, nothing less. If you read more into my "requests for information" than that, than I am sorry to have confused you. :grin:

And, if you must know...I have every intention of being done by the May 30th deadline. But I figure it can't hurt to ask now while I can utilize the time.

So there :sticking tongue out smilie:

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-05-2006, 03:03 PM
I was merely "reminding" on the Sci Fest DVD....nothing more, nothing less. If you read more into my "requests for information" than that, than I am sorry to have confused you. :grin:.....

Larry on the Sci FI DVD
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=47781&page=6

That's no excuse...he didn't give you any slack when you didn't provide your BTS just cause you were "busy". Don't let him slide that easy....so he's helping with the presentations at NAB, so he's putting on big DVXUser parties... http://www.nrestudios.com/images/smilies/emote_blahblah.gif

What are we supposed to do, just bow down at his feet cause he runs this place or something?

I'm sorry ... is there a "request for information" in there somewhere ?
:nads:

I had to take full advantange of the soft deadline last time ... I just couldn't resist making fun of you though ... such a nice set up you gave me

Kholi
05-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Larry on the Sci FI DVD
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=47781&page=6

I'm sorry ... is there a "request for information" in there somewhere ?
:nads:

I had to take full advantange of the soft deadline last time ... I just couldn't resist making fun of you though ... such a nice set up you gave me

Ooooh Jack Daniel Stanley CAUGHT you, Larry.

Hahah

I haven't s hot a single still of footage, I think I just locked my final location, I haven't gotten a single costume item or prop--

May 30th deadline is ON for me. >=DDDD (Devil's advocate)

Aaron Marshall
05-05-2006, 03:31 PM
I wish it could have been 6 minutes instead of 5. That would have saved me a lot of grief. I already have my final edit locked at 5 mins exactly. I mean this sucker is 7200 frames - precisely 5 mins!

Any word on the final compression rules? Is it going to be WMV like the Scifest?

Larry Rutledge
05-05-2006, 03:36 PM

No worries...you give a little, you take a little...that's what makes this place so WONDERFUL :engel017:

How goes your HeroFest entry, by the way? Didn't you decide to slip one in along with all your other projects?

Jarred Land
05-05-2006, 03:44 PM
ok sorry guys.. just been a really really retarded insane month so ive been slacking over here... Barry seems to be caught up in the windstorm as well so Ill clear some things so we can get back on track.

Some updates.

May 30th is my birthday.. so that is the soft deadline. I want everyone to try and hit that target, but i can pretty much gurantee you it will take me a few days to get all the entries organized, so you will have some wiggle room.

We are planning on a screening party this round for Herofest in LA. nothing to big, but something fun to watch the films in HD on a 2k projector.. tie it in with a DVXuser meeting.

Prizes.. we havnt even started to collect prizes for Herofest.. and honestly i am very happy you guys are rocking forward with your productions with no signs of monetary reward... thats why we starded the DVXfests.. it wasnt about prizes or money but about getting people out to shoot. Very good work guys and gals. I will make sure there is a few things to go around when the time comes though, but im glad nobody is crying about it.

5 minute limit... again, im going to piss of the rule accountants and say if you absolutely cant make that limit, 6 minutes is fine.

Aaron Marshall
05-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Prizes.. we havnt even started to collect prizes for Herofest.. and honestly i am very happy you guys are rocking forward with your productions with no signs of monetary reward... thats why we starded the DVXfests.. it wasnt about prizes or money but about getting people out to shoot. Very good work guys and gals. I will make sure there is a few things to go around when the time comes though, but im glad nobody is crying about it.

5 minute limit... again, im going to piss of the rule accountants and say if you absolutely cant make that limit, 6 minutes is fine.

Cool. I'm more interested in sharing my film than rewards. I love making films and music, but sharing is a reward in itself. That sounds so cliche and corny ha. Oh well.

I could really use that extra minute for my ending. Then again 5 minutes is nice and sweet. I might just leave it as it is and keep on keeping on in audio/post stuff.

Larry Rutledge
05-05-2006, 04:01 PM
May 30th is my birthday.. so that is the soft deadline. I want everyone to try and hit that target, but i can pretty much gurantee you it will take me a few days to get all the entries organized, so you will have some wiggle room.

May 15th is my birthday and I was originally targeting that as my date of completion, but everyone knows how these productions go. Thanks for the info on the "soft" deadline, though I will definitely try to be 100% done by the 30th anyway (actually I have to now or I'll never hear the end of it from JDS).

We are planning on a screening party this round for Herofest in LA. nothing to big, but something fun to watch the films in HD on a 2k projector.. tie it in with a DVXuser meeting. AWESOME!!! You're going to show ALL the films? Or just the winning films? Or just the top 10? top 50?

Prizes.. we havnt even started to collect prizes for Herofest.. and honestly i am very happy you guys are rocking forward with your productions with no signs of monetary reward... thats why we starded the DVXfests.. it wasnt about prizes or money but about getting people out to shoot. Very good work guys and gals. I will make sure there is a few things to go around when the time comes though, but im glad nobody is crying about it. Prizes are cool, but definitely not why most of us are entering.

5 minute limit... again, im going to piss of the rule accountants and say if you absolutely cant make that limit, 6 minutes is fine. Good thing you cleared this up now and not a couple days before the deadline, or you would have had a lot of angry entrants on your hands :) But I'll do my best to stick to the 5-minute mark.

Thanks for the quick clarification :thumbsup:

Curugon
05-05-2006, 04:21 PM
That's fantastic Jarred, where will the screening be?

I'll be happy to host a post-screening bash at my place if enough folks are interested.

Kholi
05-05-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm all in for it.

Great update, Jarred.

I won't be skimping on the five minute length, probably. But I guess it's good to know there's an extra minute now. =P

PARTY AT SAM'S HOUSE!

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Screening ? PArty ?

I may have to make my first ever trip to LA LA land :thumbsup:

So ... cool .... shoot for five minutes but five and change is OK ... awesome.

Edgen
05-05-2006, 08:07 PM
hella ya! I'm up for the screening party. Just let me know when and where and how much booze to bring. :)

/j

Anthem78
05-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Wow, 6minutes, I feel so free.

Aaron Marshall
05-05-2006, 08:43 PM
hella ya! I'm up for the screening party. Just let me know when and where and how much booze to bring. :)

/j

Edgen and his booze hahaha

Jarred Land
05-06-2006, 10:48 PM
yeah the screening will be at a nice little post place I made friends with here in burbank.. the afterparty sounds great too. thanks guys. And Jack.. Ill make you a deal. If you win the Herofest this time around, I will personally buy your plane ticket to come to LA.. you gotta get out here.

Actually.. maybe that will be my first dedicated prize.. Plane fare for the winner to come to the screening party. Sounds good to me.

Aaron Marshall
05-06-2006, 11:12 PM
That's an excellent idea. What about room and board?

MikeZas
05-07-2006, 12:45 AM
Also, is there clarification on what films will be screened (top 10, etc.)?

Jarred Land
05-07-2006, 01:16 AM
room and board is your own call.. The film fest is free remember so there is no budget besides my back pocked. its hot here though in LA in june so the park benches are pretty nice :)

Edgen
05-07-2006, 01:24 AM
man... I've got a friggin' palace up here in Woodland Hills (till late July).. if you guys are clean and civilized.. I wouldn't mind hosting you for a few days during the screening. after that though.. I'd have to give you the boot.

so ya, if you are like most filmmakers and your lifestyle matches your budget, I could probably help out.

/justin

CineMark
05-07-2006, 05:10 AM
That first prize sounds pretty good. I second MikeZas question about what will be screened: Everything, or just top 10 or 20? This is getting interesting...

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-07-2006, 07:45 AM
well if all the films were screened it would be a 6 or 7 hour screening ... so probably not all films unless they are gonna break it up over a couple of days ... which I don't think they are.

My guess would be the higher ranked films (20 films would be something like 90 minutes) filled out with whoever is actually there.

But that's just a guess.

Aaron Marshall
05-07-2006, 11:31 AM
man... I've got a friggin' palace up here in Woodland Hills (till late July).. if you guys are clean and civilized.. I wouldn't mind hosting you for a few days during the screening. after that though.. I'd have to give you the boot.

so ya, if you are like most filmmakers and your lifestyle matches your budget, I could probably help out.

rock on

If my lifestyle matched my budget I'd be in a cardboard box. :grin:

Jarred Land
05-07-2006, 12:52 PM
we will probally screen the first 15 or so.. i mean at 5 minutes each thats a good 90 minutes... dont want to make people sit there forever.

Blaine
05-07-2006, 01:04 PM
What's the capacity for the screening?

Norm Sanders
05-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Just some insight for everyone that's seen Jarred's extra grace minute (now extended up to 6 minutes if you can't hit the 5 minute mark) ... remember that this festival is judged by the peers, so people may be more favorable with a film that was able to do well within 5 minutes than a film that ate up nearly that whole extra minute.

In otherwords, I'd be afraid about taking that extra minute for granted only to have other film makers not score me as high because I didn't nail the original 5 minutes ... not that they'd for sure do it, but it's a concern of mine ... enough so that I'll do everything in my power to hit the five minute mark anyway.

For FX, Cinematography, sound, etc. the extra minute won't matter ... it's just if the story can still make sense in 5 minutes or not.

Screening in HD, huh? So I'll want to blow up a HD version of this thing for sure then. :)

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-07-2006, 10:55 PM
I tend to agree with you Norm ... people can gets snarfy if they feel another filmmaker has an unfair advantage ... but in this instance, the rules thread is a resource available to everyone and it has been announced almost 4 weeks before the deadline that films may run a little longer.

Having said that I am going to do everything in my power to come in at 5 minutes, save rushing the movie ...

Beyond a story making sense in the given time frame, there is an approriate pacing for each scene and the film as a whole. I felt I rushed some scenes in ODD Squad and it hurt the film in the areas of perfromance and general/emotional impact ... so while I'm going to TRY to get it in at 5 , I'm going to take the time if it's needed to land acting beats and give approraiate weight moment to moment in the story.

Larry Rutledge
05-08-2006, 10:11 AM
we will probally screen the first 15 or so.. i mean at 5 minutes each thats a good 90 minutes... dont want to make people sit there forever.

Since most of us successfully sat through the entire King Kong flick recently...would it be possible to allow these "15 or so" entrants to show their "extended" version? I'm sure we could last 2 hours :)

Also, didn't you put up a poster for this a while back? I can't find it now.

Norm Sanders
05-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Good point, Jack, and I love your banner! Very helpful ... what a guy! :)

Mike McNeese
05-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Getting antsy...

My cast/crew is wanting to know when all of the movies are gonna be available to watch on-line...any clues at this point?

Jarred Land
05-22-2006, 06:35 PM
about a week after the deadline the movies are streamed online for voting.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-22-2006, 06:43 PM
That's a looooong week.

Jarred Land
05-22-2006, 06:44 PM
well it all depends.. if we do the dual uploads ( everyone submits the streaming version and the dvd version) then it can be up in a day.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-22-2006, 06:48 PM
I didn't mean the actual time it took, I meant it feels like a long week for us regardless ....

Like when your a little kid the week before your birthday party is longer than the rest of the weeks in the year.

You slave over this thing, try to get it perfect, and then it dissapears into this void for a week where you can no longer tweak it or protect it.

Then a week later it comes back to you like some homing pidgeon. Only smaller and with some additional artifacting :)

Mike McNeese
05-22-2006, 07:22 PM
But 5/30 is a 'soft deadline,' so about a week after what day?

MiataFilmSomething
05-23-2006, 05:33 AM
This is my first DVX contest ever, and I'm already giddy with anticipation! This is the most fun I've had in a long time! But it's gut-wrenching waiting! I feel like those little kids on that Disney commercial "We're too EXCITED to sleeeeeep!"

Mike McNeese
05-23-2006, 05:49 AM
Miata...only 94 more posts and you can vote. Little something to do while you wait.

Matt Sconce
05-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Haha! That is where I was before Sci Fest...by Sci fest...I had the 100 vote mark!:costumed-smiley-047

MikeZas
05-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Question about "Midnight on May 30th" - does that mean tuesday morning, or tuesday night/wednesday morning? thanks!

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-27-2006, 03:37 AM
Hi Mike,

Probably means Wednesday night on the 30th / the eve of teh 31st.

But its been officially declared a "soft deadline" so even if i'm wrong you'd be OK ulpoading your film the following night or even a couple of nights after that.

If you want to build your posts to try and vote, try hitting the new posts tab and you can see if any of the current discussions on several topics interest you.

Good luck,

Jack

Norm Sanders
05-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Cool sig, Jack!

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-27-2006, 09:37 AM
kaPow! Pow!

Anthem78
05-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Still no word on submission details for Tuesday? I know it's a soft date, but still....

Jarred Land
05-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Ha ha ha yeah wait till tuesday, then you will know. Why are some of you guys ready already?

Norm Sanders
05-28-2006, 08:16 PM
No, not really. Not a single stitch of FX done ... but am I stressed? You bet your ass I'm stressed!

Score's coming along INCREDIBLY well, and is near perfection. ADR is nearly completed, with just one more session tomorrow (two for two different people, actually), and further sweetening of audio, then on to final CC. Our total film will be nearly 24 minutes, so as I watch the 6 minute cut it in some ways does feel like a bit of a trailer, but it's still pretty good from trying to get from nearly beginning to end in a very punctuated 6 minute cut.

Hopefully it'll do well enough that people will be interested in the full length version, that'll also be packed with all kinds of BTS, bloopers, interviews, etc.

Jarred Land
05-28-2006, 08:21 PM
HA HA yeah norm.. thats why im keeping a little quiet. Not pressuring you guys flipping your lids right now. Submissions will start Tuesday, and close sometime during the next couple days after that.

ryskamrr
05-28-2006, 08:25 PM
What does Licensed or Royalty-Free Music include???

We are planning on scoring our whole movie except for the end where we have a track that we would like to use. We've bought the cd and even contacted the production company to see how to go about getting rights to the song. Since this is not for profit does it matter if we use this for the competition?

snodart
05-28-2006, 08:33 PM
So for Tuesday, a H.264 .mov will work correct? 720 x 480 size... or does it need to be smaller? I can't wait to start watching these.

:dankk2:

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-28-2006, 09:32 PM
What does Licensed or Royalty-Free Music include???

We are planning on scoring our whole movie except for the end where we have a track that we would like to use. We've bought the cd and even contacted the production company to see how to go about getting rights to the song. Since this is not for profit does it matter if we use this for the competition? it includes music from royalty free sites that you paid to use
it includes music you or your composewr make and agree to use for this film
it inlcudes permission given to you by a composer or band or record label, friend or unaquainted pro, that gives you LICENSE you to use the the music in your piece
it includes some music from the turn of the century too but I don't know the dates and I think they may have changed tha law recently
it includes any classical work - but not the recording -- you play motzart on your synth or your violin = fine -- you use a recording of such and such orchestra playing it = not fine.

If the music is owned you have to have permission (license) to use it.
Royalty free it still requires licensing but you don't have to pay fees for each use -- only once.
If it is public domain (not owned due to its age or because it was given away to the world by the creator) then you don't need permission to use the music but you do need permission to use a recording (unless someone has said anyone can use this or it has been placed in the public domain for some special reason i.e. recorded before such and sich date).

Check the composer threads on this forum. Some have said that you may use finished compositions from their sites for your film with their permission.

you may also purchase pieces for $15 - $50 a pop and sometimes $50 - $75 for a collection of themes at these royalty free sites:
http://www.royalty-free.tv

http://www.liquidcabaret.com/products/16.php

http://www.flyinghands.com/

and here's a discount you can use for the next few days at
www.opuzz.com (http://www.opuzz.com)
enter the promotion code "MAY2006" when you checkout.

Some of these are download and some you have to have shipped, obviously you would need download - but liquidcabaret (one of the better ones) does express ship, so you might be able to work with a lowfi sample and plug in the full quality one on wednesday.

-- Jack

Edgen
05-28-2006, 10:20 PM
or you can just use some of 'us' composer's tunes for free no strings attached. (well, credit at least). I'm sure there are others like myself that won't mind you using premade tracks.

Yeee haw!

/j

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-28-2006, 10:22 PM
yep that was my first suggestion and still my highest recomendation ... things always get lost in long posts :)

ryskamrr
05-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks Jack, extremely helpful

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Justin (Edgen) is one of said composers on the board and his sh*t rocks more than a little bit.

So check out the "local talent" before you throw away money on one of those sites because, while you can find some cool stuff on them, these guys are as good and even better 9 out of 10 instances.

PlayMaker_Shaun
06-01-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm curious, how is everyones films coming along? they all ready or just last minute uploads?

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Got sweetened Audio back a few hours ago.
Got final score a few minutes ago.
Get my vfx back tomorrow.
I have one bugger shot left to composite on my own.
tic toc tic toc

Jarred Land
06-01-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm curious, how is everyones films coming along? they all ready or just last minute uploads?

I think people are milking the deadline.. we have about 8 entries so far :)

snodart
06-01-2006, 09:40 PM
I think people are milking the deadline.. we have about 8 entries so far :)

Wow. Nothing like the 2nd last minute. The server will be cranking tomorrow night then. I'm dying over here. I can't wait to start watching.

Kirk Gillock
06-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Bring'em ON!!!! :)

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-01-2006, 10:14 PM
I think people are milking the deadline ...
What? No way! :)

http://frenchquarterfeatures.com/milkin.gif

:grin:

snodart
06-01-2006, 10:23 PM
lmfao

Alex DePew
06-01-2006, 10:42 PM
That's some funny sh!t there Jack! Cause it's true.

Edgen
06-01-2006, 10:44 PM
What? No way! :)

http://frenchquarterfeatures.com/milkin.gif

:grin:

HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ya man, I'm definitely milking the deadline. of all things... i'm having audio problems. for some stupid reason my "Pans" (lefts/rights) aren't exporting out in the final mix. so much for the element of 'spacial awareness' eh?

"Almost there... " - Star Wars circa 1977

/j

Larry Rutledge
06-01-2006, 11:03 PM
so much for the element of 'spacial awareness' eh?
Spatial Awareness??? I'm just trying to make it so you can hear what they are saying!!

I think people are milking the deadline.. Not me, I'm lactose intolerant :grin: I'll be the one pushing that hard midnight deadline tomorrow. :embarasse

PlayMaker_Shaun
06-02-2006, 03:58 AM
And here i thought my filming almost the entire thing on sunday may 28th
and then editing would be close. Didn't think i'd be one of the ones with it upped already lol.

Aaron Marshall
06-02-2006, 11:48 AM
And here i thought my filming almost the entire thing on sunday may 28th
and then editing would be close. Didn't think i'd be one of the ones with it upped already lol.

ha that's the way to do it man! You Roger Corman'd it.

Mike McNeese
06-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Question...once the fest starts and the movies are screening, are we allowed to...

- Put up poster artwork?
- Links to external sites about the movie?
- Change banners to something that particularly relates to the movie?

MiataFilmSomething
06-02-2006, 01:09 PM
ha that's the way to do it man! You Roger Corman'd it.

Hey, don't knock on Corman too much. Without him, we would have never had some of the best epiosdes of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 ever...

:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

CineMark
06-02-2006, 02:25 PM
I also would like to know the OFFICIAL rules about promoting our films. What can/can't we do? OFFICIAL please. I don't want any chance of this thing being yanked.

Aaron Marshall
06-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Hey, don't knock on Corman too much. Without him, we would have never had some of the best epiosdes of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 ever...

:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Hey, I wasn't knocking him. I said, "ha that's the way to do it man! You Roger Corman'd it.". I meant that's great that he worked at breakneck speeds and reached his goal.

I think all the pimping and marketing is ok after the voting is over. I could be wrong.

Larry Rutledge
06-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Just have a final pass on the audio mix and then color correction. Then I can begin the final render!!

I don't know if the film is any good or not...at this point I'm only looking forward to sleep :grin:

Good luck everyone!

WilderWorks
06-02-2006, 03:41 PM
The official rules are no promotions. No outside links, no posters or banners, nada.

Larry Rutledge
06-02-2006, 03:50 PM
If I remember correctly from previous fests, the promotion cannot begin until after judging has been completed (but don't quote me on that).

Beat Takeshi
06-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Yeah not until completed but in your thread for your movie you can post a screen shot or a title card or poster thingy.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=46995

Aaron Marshall
06-02-2006, 03:53 PM
If I remember correctly from previous fests, the promotion cannot begin until after judging has been completed (but don't quote me on that).

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

PlayMaker_Shaun
06-02-2006, 08:16 PM
So how many entries we got so far?
http://www.playmakerstudios.com/superzerossmaller.jpg

CineMark
06-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Yeah not until completed but in your thread for your movie you can post a screen shot or a title card or poster thingy.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=46995

so does that mean we can start a thread after the film is posted? or after the judging is over? and in that thread what can we talk about?

this is my first DVXfest.

this can get real confusing real fast.

Mike McNeese
06-02-2006, 08:44 PM

Gotcha...thanks Larry.

Beat Takeshi
06-02-2006, 08:49 PM
I think Jarred makes a separate section where all the entries can post their flick info. This way it doesnt get lost with the other types of posts.

Jarred Land
06-02-2006, 08:53 PM
man you guys are getting good.. Aram is right, you will all get a thread for your film to discuss.

We have about 15 films entered so far.. alot of dropouts this time, but there still is a few hours left :)

Beat Takeshi
06-02-2006, 09:00 PM
wait, we get until tomorrow night I thought. Saturday 11:59pm.
If not Im up shitza creek because i told the composer saturday.

MiataFilmSomething
06-02-2006, 09:01 PM
It's midnight here, but I'm assuming the deadline is CA time. Submit quick! 15 films is not enough!

Mike McNeese
06-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Still a few hours...are we talking midnight Pacific time?

MiataFilmSomething
06-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Still a few hours...are we talking midnight Pacific time?

Quit sharing my brain... I need it!

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-02-2006, 09:14 PM
wait, we get until tomorrow night I thought. Saturday 11:59pm.
If not Im up shi*za creek because i told the composer saturday.

You and me and envision are the same boat

But I think we are OK

1) Jarred said Saturday morning, not midnight, only other people in this thread said midnight. Morning is when the sun comes up.
2) Jarred's out of town until Sunday and
3) he's not one to count everyone that submits before noon tomorrow and not anyone that submits after
4) its not a timed contest like a twennty four hour or 72 contest. the point is to get all the films in and look at them on their merit

otherwise you, Norm, and I are screwed ... 3 of the few hardcore vets participating

Jarred Land
06-02-2006, 09:15 PM
ha ha man did i throw you guys a curveball there. I meant a few days, sorry. Saturday midnight is the official deadline but Im not gonna shut the server down till I wake up sunday.

It would be great to know who needs more time, I cant see how we went from 60 films to 20 films so quickly.

Beat Takeshi
06-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Dude I Almost Pooooed Myself!!!!!!!

I got the junkie itchees now from the big stress ball that fell out of my butt.

Jarred Land
06-02-2006, 09:17 PM
oh im not out of town anymore.. boxing match got cancelled :(

http://www.sho.com/site/boxing/image_bin/060306x.jpg

snodart
06-02-2006, 09:18 PM
We cut our score short to start uploading last Wednesday morning. I guess We might as well keep working on it this weekend, export with the same file names, and upload and replace the one's already one the server. Seems fair enough to me.

Larry Rutledge
06-02-2006, 09:19 PM
I say, give them until midnight Sunday night (or when you wake up Monday morning)! But then, what can I say, I'm just an entrant who will have mine in before midnight tonight (Friday).

Good luck everyone!

Mike McNeese
06-02-2006, 09:19 PM

Hmmm...somebody chicken out?

Alex DePew
06-02-2006, 09:34 PM

http://www.sho.com/site/boxing/image_bin/060306x.jpg

Damn, that was a dissapointment. I was looking forward to watching that fight after I got done. Another good reason not to fly and book a hotel room for a fight. That would have been terrible!

Also, I am one of the people diligently using the soft deadline to put the finishing touches on my film. :)

Jarred Land
06-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Total tragic about the fight.. I am really close with Corrales's corner and they all feel raped tonight.. Worst thing is nobody gets paid, and Shaw looses about 5 million bucks :)

Alex DePew
06-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Total tragic about the fight.. I am really close with Corrales's corner and they all feel raped tonight.. Worst thing is nobody gets paid, and Shaw looses about 5 million bucks :)

That's super cool! Do you box at all? I imagine a 7 ft tall Canadian Filmmaker/Boxer would make an interesting documentary piece. If you can get (or already are) below 175 you'd be a killer at your height which I only know from this board as somewhere taller than the average tasll person.

Yup that sucks bad for Corrales and all involved. And he had to do it too. He learned from last time that giving up almost five pounds makes a huge difference.

If it's not too presumptuous, how are you connected with Corrales' corner? That is a cool cat to be connected to. I really respect Chico and think he is a great boxer. So is Castillo but I think we've seen the last of him at 135 and he might not even be able to make 140.

Norm Sanders
06-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Applying CC, titles, credits, etc. now. Final score comes in tonight, and the VFX guy I found through MySpace is pulling an all nighter to get everything to me by tomorrow AM. Then make sure the CC I've applied works with the FX, do a final check on everything, then open the project back up in my 6 minute project cut, and render it out hoping for the best.

Larry Rutledge
06-02-2006, 10:31 PM
My fingers are crossed for you Envision!!! Good Luck :thumbsup:

Brandon Rice
06-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Good luck Norm! Can't wait to see the film!

Edgen
06-02-2006, 10:38 PM
A... and the VFX guy I found through MySpace is pulling an all nighter to get everything to me by tomorrow AM.

gawd bless MyCrackSpace.

..and boxing. :)

GOod luck Norm! Yup! rooting for ya buddy!
/j