PDA

View Full Version : Things I needed to buy after I purchased my HVX

Green Hornet
03-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Okay, you can buy what ever you want. It is your money.

I just though this needed to be said some where, and I haven't really heard it.
I love my HVX200, BUT it will cost me way more that the $5,900 I thought it would cost.

Most recomend:

The camera: $5,400
New monitor that displays 1080: cheapest on is the dell at $799 on sale.
You need Final cut HD to edit it: $1,200
or Avid $$$$$$$$$$
or Canopus Broadcast $800

Most likely you will need a new computer unless you already have a G5.
Best value Apple, dual processor at 2.0 ghz $2,000
or
Custom built PC for canopus edius broadcast w/ dual core processor, 2 gigs of ram, dual hard drives, and 512 video card. $2,000 - $2,500.

External hard drive 500 gig $500

P2 card 4 gig @ $650 each....you will need 3 of them.
or
P2 card 8 gig @ $1,300 each...you will need 3 of them.

P2 store @ $1,600

Then you need a camera bag.... many are going for the porta brace @ $250

Maybe some new sticks...this is heavyer than the dvx..... $1,200 with head.

So that's what it takes to shoot and edit as a minimum.........
Think it over, personally I wouldn't change my mind now, but if I didn't have the $12,000 just laying around, I probably would not finance this type of camera with out a real game plan on how it would return the money.

J.R. Hudson
03-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Hornet but I believe this is an issue we have all been aware of from Day 1.

It seems you were lacking in quite a bit of standard accessories as it appears most folks are already set-up give or take.

Isaac_Brody
03-12-2006, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't call what you listed the minimum. Perhaps your minimum, but most people buying an HVX aren't starting out with zero equipment. You don't need a bleeding edge mac either to edit HVX footage. Nor three P2 cards. And you don't need the P2 store.

I do agree that you shouldn't be purchasing unless you can make a return on your money, but your $12,000 figure is pretty inflated.

n8ture
03-12-2006, 02:29 PM
I already had Final Cut Studio,
Already had sticks and a head stong enough to hold it.
Already had a Pelican 1600 case.
Already had a 17" 1.67Ghz Powerbook

Just needed the camera and cards. :)

J.R. Hudson
03-12-2006, 02:31 PM
I agree

and Quotes like this

Think it over, personally I wouldn't change my mind now, but if I didn't have the $12,000 just laying around, I probably would not finance this type of camera with out a real game plan on how it would return the money.

Most people I know already have half of this stuff anyway. Sounds to me the Hornet just did not do his Due Dilligence up front.

:nads:

Oh and Hornet ? I changed your signature. I cannot in good conscious have you running around the boards spreading that propaganda.

thisiswells
03-12-2006, 02:32 PM
if I didn't have the $12,000 just laying around, I probably would not finance this type of camera with out a real game plan on how it would return the money. Bingo.

As an aside, the most successful businesses are (generally) the ones who don't borrow money hoping to see a return on their investment at some mystical point in the future. The most successful businesses focus on developing, nurturing, and maintaining a client base and their growth is (generally) built over time by re-investing the profits from previous sales.

D_and_G
03-12-2006, 02:47 PM
and :

Mattebox + filters $1500

Lights $2500

Marshall 7" $1800

Field mixer $550

Microphones Supercardoid + Hypercardoid $3000

Lights (Arri kit) $3500

Firestore $2000

So $12,000 + $14,850 = $26,850

And we aren't even including software like A.E or Protools, audio monitors for accurate sound representation, HD color monitor for cc ...

However, I concur with John. I think most people have a base they're starting with.

I do agree that unless you have a good plan to optimize the camera, or you have enough $ it won't affect you adversely, then you should really consider if you can afford it.

It reminds me of the first time I shot film. There are even more hidden costs in that , IMO.

Cheers.

Green Hornet
03-12-2006, 02:48 PM
:Drogar-Sick(DBG): Ok, I am all beat up now......thanks I said I only want 2 lumps :-)

Actually I have editing gear for SD, that works flawlessly, but won't edit HD.

I think most DO NOT have systems that can edit HD.

I have sticks, but been using dvx100a, and sony PD150, and also use the Sony DSR 390, but wanted something new for the HVX200, as I could write it off anyway.

We all need 3 P2 cards, unless you want to make life more difficult than it needs to be.

I think most will eventually want the P2 store after they dragged the laptops around and get them knocked over and have to duct tape the screen together.

I was just trying to point out the minimum (in my view) of what was needed.

J.R. Hudson
03-12-2006, 02:53 PM
We're just busting your balls Hornet. I remember when I first got the DVX100. I told my wife it was only X

And then X X X X X X X later she is still making reference to the original quote. Still, I think your orginal post is a good one; it may make folks think a bit before telling their wife it's only $4999 !

HVXguy
03-12-2006, 03:25 PM
:Drogar-Sick(DBG): Ok, I am all beat up now......thanks I said I only want 2 lumps :-)

I was just trying to point out the minimum (in my view) of what was needed.

Even at $12,000.....to shoot and edit HD that is bargain basement, to actually approach what use to cost $100,000 minimum is a steal in my mind. I remember my friend shut down his production company so he could buy and shoot with the first Sony HD camera. This was before 24p. I think he started at 2 or 3K per day. I think he finally went back to BetaSP rates and I doubt he ever paid off that camera. $12,000....I hope most people on this list could clear that in 2 or 3 months. By NAB I hope Pana announces other P2 HD cameras that will compliment the HVX.

vidled
03-12-2006, 03:35 PM
...it may make folks think a bit before telling their wife it's only $4999 !

You're kidding, right?
The lower the number, the more likely the "approval". The $4999 is a good place to start, even if you can't get the complete HD kit with all the bits and pieces until after battle #3 or 4....heck, it worked for you with the DVX, why shouldn't it work with the HVX nowadays!
:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Justyn
03-12-2006, 03:44 PM
indeed HVXguy. I think this is a small price to pay for what it offers. I'm hoping that paying gigs will come and pay for the camera, but I'm quite content to be selfish and use it on my own films. This is a selfish fatty camera that delivers the goods without the cost of film.

I'd also add to the going list of necessary gear:

Shoulder or steady-mount contraption.

Monopod (love 'em)

fuzzy dice

heat seaking missles.

spencer
03-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Thank god that by the time i'll be able to afford an HVX it'll be somewhere around the time in which I'm going to college--That'll take 2 grand off of my bill because my parents will spring for the new computer.

And, also remember regarding the P2 stuff is that hopefully soon there's gonna be two alternatives that sound good (the SpecComm thing sounds neat, but that does tack on even more price), but the firestore is about the same as three 4gigs, or a couple hundred more, right?

But yeah, the price does seem to add up. Thank goodness that in addition to going to college soon, i'm also somewhat incompetent in the ways of filmmaking, so by the time i actually figure out how to do stuff well, i'll hopefully have a better job. Right now, i'll just suck in High Definition (kidding...somewhat)

pretopost
03-12-2006, 08:30 PM
I could see the justification for your list if you were just shooting home movies and realized your freeware "My Movie" software wouldn't edit HD or do Variable frame Rates...

Oh Crap Honey, my one pound max weight tripod could hold my canon elura but not the HVX!

Get real...I thought this forum was for "working" Professionals.

jeffyjones
03-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Why do these kinds of threads turn into dis-fests and chest-thumping romps?

This is one of the few communities where generally speaking it's friendly to people of all experience levels. Don't ruin it by saying your tripod is bigger than mine or you have more toys.

I'm starting from scratch too. I suspect this camera has inspired others to do so as well. Respect the diversity.

Barry_Green
03-12-2006, 08:59 PM
I think most DO NOT have systems that can edit HD.
Well, anyone with FCP can. But most? Probably true considering the market share of Premiere and Vegas, but with $195 worth of Raylight they can get started.

We all need 3 P2 cards, unless you want to make life more difficult than it needs to be.
Three is nice. I'm getting along with two, and I would say the absolute minimum is two; anyone trying to get along with just one is really stretching it. Two is workable. Three is all you'd ever need for many circumstances.

I think most will eventually want the P2 store after they dragged the laptops around and get them knocked over and have to duct tape the screen together.
P2 Store's a totally different type of product. We've been using laptops exclusively and there's no substitute for a laptop. Just the P2 Viewer alone is priceless to have (and I cannot WAIT for some third party to release a full-fledged P2 Viewer app vs. the Panasonic freebie!) But we have laptops on every shoot all the time anyway; between scheduling and bringing up documents and printing notices and all the other fantastic things they do, adding P2 offloading is just one more. And someday (hopefully) live monitoring throught he firewire will be yet another. I think a laptop is becoming as indispensable as a field monitor.

(note: not for every type of shoot, of course! I'm talking about dramatic/narrative production). For one-man shooting, the P2 Store is uniquely suited. But for anything other than one-man type shots, I think the laptop is far more versatile.

Barry_Green
03-12-2006, 09:01 PM
This is one of the few communities where generally speaking it's friendly to people of all experience levels. Don't ruin it by saying your tripod is bigger than mine or you have more toys.
Well said. The whole community could use an infusion of "niceness" and "tolerance", there's been far too much complaining and attacking recently.

We moderators are on the patrol to make things a bit more "moderate" than they have been.

Barry_Green
03-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Get real...I thought this forum was for "working" Professionals.
A little rough there; please try to have some more respect for the aspiring professionals too.

I've long thought that the HVX was a camera primarily for the working professional, not the home user. In that context, the cost to get a working setup is a capitalized business cost, and one that (with proper business practices) can be recouped in very short order (I booked enough jobs in January to pay off my HVX & Mac and everything else in the first month I owned it). Not all are at that level yet. Some are well above that level. Some are just getting started.

I don't mind Green Hornet's post here; he's sharing his experience of what he's had to do. But I agree with Isaac and the others; shooting circumstances are unique enough that not everyone will need the same level of gear. What I would exhort people to do is make sure that they do know what they're planning to do and what they're getting into -- a talented shooter can make some serious money with this gear, and it's not hard. We've had several F900 shoots turn into HVX shoots once we show the client the footage and say "cost for camera rental package = 1/2". It's a really easy sell. We have no problem renting the F900 if that's what they want, but once they see the HVX footage nobody (and I mean nobody) has said "no, not good enough." They're all happy with the footage and with the cost savings.

If someone's buying it as a home video camera, I do have to say I don't understand it, but hey, it's a free country and if that's what they want, they're entitled to it. But as a business investment it's proven very savvy so far! :)

Green Hornet
03-13-2006, 04:21 AM
I was providing my viewpoint based on my experience.
I had all of the items for production, but going to HD over SD required all the items I had to be upgraded.

Yeah I am sure most of you are working professionals.
Most of my work is in still photography.
I manage 15 photography studios, and do commisioned work in both video and still photography. Because video is not my "day job", I can pick and choose which jobs I take.

Around here, we have a huge film school and colleges that put out actors, and film makers. There is a film festival at minimum of once a month. Most of what I have done has been shooting stuff for them.

The school(s) have most of the editing stuff and I am not really an editor, but for my own stuff, I edited using canopus hardware for SD (although outdated by todays HD standards, it did fine for what I do).

My paid work is mainly in photography or SD video.
I didn't really "need" HD.

I am however working on my own indie film that I wrote and will shoot.
We have a budget of $180,000. That's not a lot but that's what we got.
It will be a feature length deal, and we are talking to a lot of people who are offering contingent deals. One of which were that if we shot on HD, we could get
the possibility to be distributed in more markets. That was the reason for my looking into the HVX200 and HD in the first place.

I don't know what the rest of you do for your "day jobs", and maybe you all have $12,000 to drop, and or always have the latest and greatest gear so you don't have to "re-tool" for HD, but being as I was doing paid work in SD and had things covered for that, I am sure that many have to be in the situation I was in.

If you are all above me, then damn! Nice to meet you on my way up. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Green Hornet
03-13-2006, 04:43 AM
Well, anyone with FCP can. But most? Probably true considering the market share of Premiere and Vegas, but with $195 worth of Raylight they can get started..

FCP? I thought you needed fcp HD (I don't know if they are the same, if not, then I believe that would be an upgrade)
Raylight? Barry, you and I both know that that is a very frustrating solution, that again will point out the "need" for a computer upgrade.
For Raylight, you need the fastest computer you can buy to make that tolerable due to it's slow design.

Your pointing out the same things I said .....you will need to upgrade most everything you have, I just attatched prices to do so.

Three is nice. I'm getting along with two, and I would say the absolute minimum is two; anyone trying to get along with just one is really stretching it. Two is workable. Three is all you'd ever need for many circumstances..

For all the money you've dropped, I don't know why you would only have 2 cards.
I know you can afford it, but it's good to know that the 3rd card is not needed.

Speaking of money drop, Can you enlighten the group as to the amount you have spent since september untill now, on items relating to the HVX200......be honest. Again, the essence of my post was to say that $5,999 was only the begining of the cost to do it right. Hey, I am still spending so "step off" :)

P2 Store's a totally different type of product. We've been using laptops exclusively and there's no substitute for a laptop. Just the P2 Viewer alone is priceless to have (and I cannot WAIT for some third party to release a full-fledged P2 Viewer app vs. the Panasonic freebie!) But we have laptops on every shoot all the time anyway; between scheduling and bringing up documents and printing notices and all the other fantastic things they do, adding P2 offloading is just one more. And someday (hopefully) live monitoring throught he firewire will be yet another. I think a laptop is becoming as indispensable as a field monitor.

(note: not for every type of shoot, of course! I'm talking about dramatic/narrative production). For one-man shooting, the P2 Store is uniquely suited. But for anything other than one-man type shots, I think the laptop is far more versatile.

I see what you are saying.
You are working on large productions, with lots of room.
Most of the indie stuff I have done is in some small house or apartment lacking in space. There is always an assistant or 2, but that just makes things more cramped to add a laptop. I have been on the set of others who had all the goodies and set up that you speak of, but for my smaller type of production, a few music videos, and events, the locations are generally cramped to begin with.
The P2 store works for me in that case. It seems as if the above would describe the "needs" for the laptop solution and the P2 solution.

I take this all lightly.
Everyone will have to find their own way.

taubkin
03-13-2006, 05:01 AM
FCP HD is what FCP is called since version 4. If you have 4 or later, you can edit DVCPRO HD.

jeffyjones
03-13-2006, 07:32 AM
Being somewhat dissatisfied with Avid as of late, I might have to add a Mac and FCP to my list of expenses.

I appreciate the backup, Barry. As I mentioned in my first impressions (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=48947), I used to be pro (or still am if it's like riding a bike ;)), but this is very much a re-connection with the medium. I really am starting over and my intentions are vague except to say that I want to be able to capture stuff the way I used to when I worked for The Man. Expensive proposition, I know, but I develop software. I'm overpaid. ;)

I have a good old Bogen/Manfrotto tripod of course, since you only ever really need to buy one once a lifetime, and I have some lavaliers and cables. I have a few lights but need soft boxes. That's about it. I've since ordered an Azden wireless system, a Vidled and other miscellaneous stuff for the ENG-style work that I'll be doing. It's all well-suited for Web delivery.

For the indie film I'll some day make (for me, mind you, not critics), I'll need a fish pole and a shotgun, and I'll be pretty happy then with my equipment lineup at that point.

So after the ~$7k for the camera and a pair of P2 cards, I'll be flirting with $10k all together, and that's OK. Being a developer doesn't always feed the soul, but it does feed the wallet, and this allows me to do something I love that will feed the soul. I don't have to worry about the pressure of making back what I spent or impressing some director in L.A. (which contrary to popular belief, is not, actually, the center of the universe). So really, if it bothers you that people like me exist and ask questions you think are stupid, I'd challenge you to take a step back and remember where you came from.

HVXguy
03-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Good post Jeffy. I think this is an exciting time to be in video and especially HD video..finally! I wish this stuff was around 20 years ago when I started. Everyday I see new and exciting work done with the HVX200. No more "camera bullies" to say I used my $100,000 Cine Alta to shoot that and you will never be at my level. I am going out in a few minutes to destroy an old 15" computer monitor and will be rolling at 60fps......Stay tuned!!

Anders Holck
03-13-2006, 07:52 AM
FCP HD was version 4.5.
FCP 4 was just FCP, and FCP 5 has lost the HD tag again....stll does HD though.

Barry_Green
03-13-2006, 11:09 AM
For all the money you've dropped, I don't know why you would only have 2 cards.
I know you can afford it, but it's good to know that the 3rd card is not needed.
Because I don't need more. Two works. If I needed a third I'd get it. Until I need it, I'm waiting, and as I wait the price goes down. Had I decided I needed three 8GB cards back in November, I would have been looking at $2750x3 = $8250. Ain't no way that was gonna happen. So I got two 4GBs, which cost $1300. And they're working just fine. Since then the 8GB went to $2250, and then to $1400. Now if I needed three 8gb's the cost outlay would be $4200, or about HALF what it was just four months ago. Am I glad I waited? Oh yeah. And three weeks from now I should be able to pick up a FireStore, which may mean never needing more cards.

Frankly I don't know that I'll ever need more than two 4GB's and a FireStore. I'd rather have 8's or 16's, sure, but I don't know that I'd NEED 'em.

Speaking of money drop, Can you enlighten the group as to the amount you have spent since september untill now, on items relating to the HVX200......be honest.
Actually I think I'd prefer to lie. "Be honest"? What's that supposed to mean?

HVX=$5600
Two 4GB cards = $1300
Upgraded Tripod = $1400
USB2 OTG enclosure + 80gb drive = $200
Mac+FCP+G-Raid 500GB = ~$3800
RayLight = $195
Chrosziel Mattebox = ~$1400 (which I would have gotten for the DVX anyway)
Century .6 = $350
Century 1.6 = $700-ish, I don't remember exactly
------------------
All in all, around $15,000. Which was all recouped and paid off by February. In March and beyond, it's all profit from here on forward.

Again, the essence of my post was to say that $5,999 was only the begining of the cost to do it right. Hey, I am still spending so "step off" :)
Hey, if you're gonna do it right, do it right, absolutely. But again, think of it as a business tool; budget it out, figure out your ROI, and make the move. I think spending fifteen grand and having it paid off in the first two months is incredible, but others' experience may vary. I can rent this package with me as DIT/Op for a low of $1000 and a decent rate of $2000/day around here; just the bare camera alone goes for $400/day. And I could easily book 10 days a month. Do the math -- at the low end, just bare camera rental without me having to do anything but hand it over, that's $4000/mo x 12 = basically $50,000 back out of a $8,000 investment. In one year. Try doing that in the stock market! :) On the high end, actually going out and working the shoots, that's $20,000/mo or roughly $250k/year return on a $15,000 investment (and having to actually bother to get out of bed, quit logging on to DVXUser, and go work one day out of three.) And heck, the HVX has gotten me to see the country too -- L.A. and Hawaii and NJ and Detroit and soon Pittsburgh, so far; and again, it's only mid-March.

Either way you look at it, if you're doing it as a business and you know what you're doing, this stuff ain't expensive! It's the cheapest equipment you can possibly buy. Yes it involves cash up front, just like any "real" business would. And yes it requires more than just the gear itself, you have to know what you're doing and how to market yourself and how to get jobs and how to do a great job that makes people recommend you and want to hire you again. And not every job I get is specifically because of the HVX, of course. But there are jobs I'm getting specifically and solely *because* it's an HVX. People want the HVX. They've heard the hype and they've seen the footage and they want the capabilities.

Nobody should go into this blind or foolishly; nobody should think "hey, I'll mortgage my house and run up my credit cards and buy an HVX and next thing you know I'll be rich." Doesn't work that way, and anyone who tries would be foolish to do so. But if you know your business, and you know what you're doing, and this is an appropriate match for your skillsets, then it can work out very, very well. We'll see what competition does to rates once more people have it, but for us early adopters it's working out pretty well so far!

pretopost
03-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Sorry for the harsh comments...

I came off an all-nighter for a couple commercials due the next day.

I just was trying to reiterate the use of foresight in any business is a must to be successful. The G5, FCP Studio, broadcast monitors and the like that were purchased in Dec 2004 were all with the foresight that cheap/quality HD would soon be a reality.

That foresight has paid off and the HVX plugs into an existing HD suite that has been doing SD for the last year and a half.

Again sorry Hornet for the jabs. Mr. Hyde is taking a Vacation and Dr. Jekyl is back...lol.

Green Hornet
03-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Sorry for the harsh comments...

I came off an all-nighter for a couple commercials due the next day.

I just was trying to reiterate the use of foresight in any business is a must to be successful. The G5, FCP Studio, broadcast monitors and the like that were purchased in Dec 2004 were all with the foresight that cheap/quality HD would soon be a reality.

That foresight has paid off and the HVX plugs into an existing HD suite that has been doing SD for the last year and a half.

Again sorry Hornet for the jabs. Mr. Hyde is taking a Vacation and Dr. Jekyl is back...lol.

No problem.
This is the internet.
I don't take anyone on here seriously.

:nads:

unfiltered
03-13-2006, 07:06 PM
I have been an Avid/FCP tech for 6 years, so I carry a pretty strong knowledge of both platforms. One thing I have been commended for was my desire and patience in sharing that experience when helping others that want/need to learn.

That is what I've found here on this site. There is definitely a mixed bag of experience on DVX User and everyone has something to offer. I learn something new everytime I am here, which is daily, and it's a blessing! The newbies ask questions that generally receive quick replies, and maybe even remind some of the more experienced pros, where they came from.

As one of you had stated, the HVX has inspired a fair amount of people to want to get into shooting, including myself. I'm on my way to the UPS station to pickup my HVX and (1) 8GB card. Other than my dual 2.3ghz G5, 1ghz Powerbook, Dual Core MacBook Pro, and FCP Studio, I'm starting from scratch as a shooter.

But this group of people are what make the new venture exciting! I've enjoyed the hell out of the Zombiefest and Sci-Fi Fest, and look forward to seeing more footage from everyone here. This place is a blast!

I gain so much information here that the "chest thumping" posts don't get close to outweighing the great things that I learn.

mochouinard
03-13-2006, 07:23 PM
same here, Im starting from scratch except of my Computer. I got the HVX200 camera now. I am looking for lightning, since most of private life is done at night, I do not have alot of ambiant lightning. I am looking at maybe a kit of Redhead 1000, Barry, David@leoscamera and other sugested it. I wonder if I'll need softbox or other things... Microphones also I have to find, not sure what I need. Reflectors ? Back drop... Haa I do not have ennuf money !!! But I will get there

Barry_Green
03-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Unfiltered, thanks for that post. We sure needed it right about now. I'm glad that someone is feeling the sense of community we've worked hard to maintain here.

The varied user experience level is something that we prize here. The raw enthusiasm of new shooters, and the new techniques, and the energy and variety that they bring, helps us all learn. And the way our seasoned vets take the time to explain things to their up-and-coming brethren has always been a source of pride for those of us on the board here.

Welcome, and we look forward to seeing some footage!

thisiswells
03-14-2006, 06:54 PM
I am looking for lightning, since most of private life is done at night, I do not have alot of ambiant lightning. I am looking at maybe a kit of Redhead 1000 There are a lot of topics about first light kits. I would suggest getting a Redhead and some foamcore (that white posterboard stuff) and setup the light behind a person to separate them from the background and use the card to reflect the light back on their face. You can light a lot of stuff this way. Another approach is to "bounce" the light off the ceiling of a room to bring up the ambience. As you learn and grow in photography, you'll start to see a need for more light in different places and then you'll get lights for that stuff, too. But, I think a 1K is a good place to start. I wouldn't have several of them, though. Instead, get different (lower wattage) lights to experiment with. You'll be able to learn more that way. Good luck.

rhore
03-19-2006, 02:27 PM
We are buying the HVX-200 with no previous equipment or even experience in this field. Even at a cost of 10,000-15,000 I feel that I'll be getting a wonderful camera to express myself with. Even if there is not a penny to be made, I will look at the purchase as a way to have fun, see my ideas take shape and enjoy watching all the results come out.. It will be a great learning experience and I believe great for our whole family.. Some people spend money on vacations, motorcycles, snowmobiles or whatever and don't look to make money on things they have bought for pleasure.. Anyway to me it is an individual choice and to some it is important to make money off of an investment this big, and to others it may be irrelevant. By the way, we enjoy this website.. We are learning so much and hope to read more helpful suggestions as we become more familiar with the camera.. Thanks to all !!!

Trademark
03-19-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm doing the same, I'm learning more here than in some of my film classes! :dankk2:

I also plan to buy the HVX in a few weeks, it's replacing the GL-1 that I have been using for 5 years. Can't wait to step it up to a professional camera even though I still need to save for the Firestore and a good tripod. I can make due recording to tape for a while as the quality will be amazing to me when compared to the GL-1.

My Purchasing Priorities:
HVX
Tripod
FS-100

fuggetabout P2 for a while

Mitch_Ives
03-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Okay, you can buy what ever you want. It is your money.

I just though this needed to be said some where, and I haven't really heard it.
I love my HVX200, BUT it will cost me way more that the $5,900 I thought it would cost.

I really don't understand posts like this. Everything in life costs money... and this is why not everyone should be trying to be in this business. If you can't afford it, then maybe you should consider working someplace where they can afford it... at least until you're in a position to be able to?

This isn't directed at Green Hornet, but the production community at large:

Video production is for people who can't do drugs. You spend the same amount of money as a crack addict, it's just not illegal. One of the biggest problems we have in this industry is the proliferation of ill equipped (and ill-trained) people out there charging clients for work. The resulting devastation is costing the industry and all of us, and leaving clients with bad experiences.

Botttom line, for anyone with any level of experience... all of this stuff is really cheap nowdays... we really have nothing to complain about. I've heard some people say "they miss the old days... at least the costs involved weeded out all the shoe clerks". I'm beginning to appreciate that notion...

mochouinard
03-21-2006, 08:19 AM
I am just equipping my self for fun. It spend all my time programming software, managing servers and project... Multimedia is something that I like outside of office work but is still linked to it... Digital SLR, HD Video and all the gear arround it, for me they are still expensive because my ROI is negative, and I think I am not alone like this. A tripod for 1500$, I mean that not cheap in my view, and it might not be ennuf for matebox, 35mm adaptor ...

I do understand what you mean Mitch, but alot of us, and alot of you started like this, and learned going forward. If I start offering video/photo service, they will know from the start that I am not professional grade, and I wont charge for professional work, but my goal will be to do something professional and learn from other people and actual thing I will do, and I'll work so what I do look professional and make a happy customer (until he call again and see the price get higher ;)

So my camera kit costed me 11k$ for the HVX, I added last week 1000$ on lightning. But I still use a 54$ tripod from bestbuy until I get the k$ to buy a good one, but yes it expensive. I want to buy a Canon 70-200mm IS f2.8 len for my Canon 20D too... another 2k$. I have over 10k$ of gear in my amateur wish list as of rightnow...

Now I do NOT need all this, but damn it feel good using the right tool that does the job.

Technologies is worst than crack when you are addict... But atless you are left with something that will last for years. Will the HVX200 look professional in 10 year, I really think it will, so is my Canon 20D.

Ok I got to stop ranting and go to work... Latter :)

Mitch_Ives
03-21-2006, 08:45 AM
I do understand what you mean Mitch, but alot of us, and alot of you started like this, and learned going forward. If I start offering video/photo service, they will know from the start that I am not professional grade, and I wont charge for professional work, but my goal will be to do something professional and learn from other people and actual thing I will do, and I'll work so what I do look professional and make a happy customer (until he call again and see the price get higher ;)

Very expensive hobby for you... you do know how to have fun. Yes, everyone starts somewhere. The key is to practice until you are really ready to deliver a professional product, before you thrust yourself on the market and clients. The only downside to doing work for free to learn (as you are doing) is that if you ask someone with experience for any help, we're liable to point out the effect that your doing work for free is having on our market, and then ask what our motivation is for helping you? How would you respond to that?

It's amusing to watch someone who used to do work for free and mess up the market start to complain about that problem once they're charging for their services and need an ROI on all the investment... I had to explain why I was laughing at a guy doing that same thing recently.

mochouinard
03-21-2006, 09:44 AM
First, stuff I do for free are mostly for relative I know... Not for the complete stranger. Also people who really are passionate about this will help since it a passion. I know I will, like I do for hosting some people file at hvx200.moctel.com. It cost me over 400$ of bandwidth without asking anything in return (I tryed donation but people are cheap)

It all depend if it a job or a passion. For me it a passion. As is all the time I have given working on Open Source software...

Mitch_Ives
03-21-2006, 09:54 AM
It all depend if it a job or a passion. For me it a passion. As is all the time I have given working on Open Source software...

I'd be careful here... many of us do charity work, teach at colleges, and post on boards, I do all of those. I've also given out more free advice already than some people will in their lifetime.

rhore
03-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Mochouinard ... I know where you are coming from.... Again.. everybody can charge what they want.. free.. expensive.. anything in between.. I would let the consumer dictate the market.. as well as the producer do what's right for him.. if someone wants to do this for fun, learning, or a hobby and wants to do it for free why does this upset people.. If someone is a brilliant camera man/ producer and people are willing to pay for the product.. no harm done.. Open market .. whether it's selling bananas or video..