PDA

View Full Version : super hero?

Kevin Lee
03-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Damn, we are working on another type of hero. So whats the deal does anyone have an official answer as to what the parameters are?

Ben Sliker
03-10-2006, 11:27 AM
this has been debated before, This is unofficial word:

Next contest:

Theme:

Super Heros

5 minute time limit

Deadline May 30th, 2006. (Jarred's Birthday )

I would just wait for Jarred to pop in here with the official announcement.
To be on the safe side, I would write a superhero movie.

J.R. Hudson
03-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Parameters?

Superhero.

This sums it up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhero

Kholi
03-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Super. As in Super powers.

The title of the contest is misleading.

But it's all SUPER.

wcs
03-10-2006, 12:17 PM
---
02-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Sticky: And The Winners Are.......
Posted By Jarred Land

Superhero is a super hero.. if you think your mom is a superhero then have at it.

Criteria will be announced in a couple days.

---

I think he was half-serious about the "mom" thing. If it's just a movie about how awesome firemen are, then I'm sure it won't be disqualified, but you will get a lot of flack for not being "super" unless your premise is how they have something supernatural about them.

I guess he must be waiting on a cool graphic or something to post the official rules thread.

Kholi
03-10-2006, 12:21 PM
---
02-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Sticky: And The Winners Are.......
Posted By Jarred Land

Superhero is a super hero.. if you think your mom is a superhero then have at it.

Criteria will be announced in a couple days.

---

I think he was half-serious about the "mom" thing. If it's just a movie about how awesome firemen are, then I'm sure it won't be disqualified, but you will get a lot of flack for not being "super" unless your premise is how they have something supernatural about them.

I guess he must be waiting on a cool graphic or something to post the official rules thread.

Definitely need the official rules and prizes thread SOON. People keep misunderstanding what the contest is about... and I've been told it's straight up SUPER HERO...

Not firemen rescuing people from buildings.

J.R. Hudson
03-10-2006, 12:28 PM

No no no.

Not good Samaritans. SUPERHEROES

-

Superhero. It isn't rocket science and the contest title isn't misleading (Okay, too a few it seems).

Norm Sanders
03-10-2006, 01:20 PM
It COULD be a fireman rescuing someon from a building ... that can walk straight through fire with no special suit & not get burned ... that'd be pretty super.

J.R. Hudson
03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
LOL

Exactly !

Blaine
03-10-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm amazed at how much confusion there is over this. I'm trying to figure out what part of Superhero isn't being understood. Seems pretty obvious to me.:huh:

Kholi
03-10-2006, 01:46 PM
It's not the part of Superhero that's being misunderstood.. it's the unofficial announcement that keeps catching people whom haven't participated in the threads concerning this subject.

Seriously, it DOES say HERO fest.. not SUPERHERO fest. It's not intentded to mislead, but it's misleading regardless.

So, I'm sure when there's an official announcement with parameters and such, there won't be anymore confusion.

=DDDDD

By the way, Norm (Envision)-- Thanks for totally telling everyone my idea.

Brandon Rice
03-10-2006, 01:47 PM
LOL! Makes sense Kholi. I still don't know what to do... I need help.

Kholi
03-10-2006, 01:51 PM
LOL! Makes sense Kholi. I still don't know what to do... I need help.

Ohhh I've found out what to do. It's my writing process, though. I'll spend every waking and sleeping moment thinking of how to execute story properly... and I literally mean that.

Last night I had a dream that I fought a blind man with a Halberd (bow with blade at the end), and it was all because I spent the last twelve minutes of wakey-wakey time visualizing the best way to end a fight scene.

=D I'll actually start writing a script today, though. I've already filled half a notebook with random notes and lists.

J.R. Hudson
03-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Anyone who submits a short about their Cub Scout Leader who helps the community isn't paying attention.

-

Zombiefest
Scifest
Community Leaders Fest

-

I'm sure Barry and Jarred will get an announcement out soon enough !

Kevin Lee
03-10-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm sorry, but I did misunderstand.

I'll look in the right direction now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/Kdawg925/Slippy.jpg

on a side note I think it would be interesting to see the wide variety of ideas on a "Hero" in general. Super hero is more difficult and has been done, redone over and over.

Back to the drawing board....

Kholi
03-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Holy crap that's scary

LOL

As for Superhero being hard to do--

It's really not. You just have to do it your own way.

Norm Sanders
03-10-2006, 06:19 PM
That is just WRONG in so many ways. What kind of freak says, "Hey, I wonder if I can pull my eyes out of socket & yank 'em down my face a couple of inches too!"

Kholi, just get someone else to write the script. I'm too busy at the moment, and know a writer that could do a MUCH better job than I could (someone I've already optioned a feature script from) ... he's running with the story idea and will have the 2nd draft this weekend to me.

That easy. Have someone else do it. :)

Blaine
03-10-2006, 06:27 PM
I need SOMEONE to tell me that's not real...:shocked: :shocked:

Ought2bCommitted
03-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Ok, now I am totally grossed and creeped out at the same time. And I'm a freakin' horror nut. Go figure.

I'm sorry, but I did misunderstand.

I'll look in the right direction now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/Kdawg925/Slippy.jpg

on a side note I think it would be interesting to see the wide variety of ideas on a "Hero" in general. Super hero is more difficult and has been done, redone over and over.

Back to the drawing board....

Ought2bCommitted
03-10-2006, 08:55 PM
I need SOMEONE to tell me that's not real...:shocked: :shocked:

Listen to me very carefully...it's not real. It's all in your head. There is no dvxuser.com. There is no scary picture. There is no me, in fact. All in your head.

Aaron Marshall
03-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Seriously, it DOES say HERO fest.. not SUPERHERO fest. It's not intentded to mislead, but it's misleading regardless.

I agree. I could see how someone could be confused. Although I wasn't (for the record).

:grin:

Kholi
03-10-2006, 10:38 PM
That is just WRONG in so many ways. What kind of freak says, "Hey, I wonder if I can pull my eyes out of socket & yank 'em down my face a couple of inches too!"

Kholi, just get someone else to write the script. I'm too busy at the moment, and know a writer that could do a MUCH better job than I could (someone I've already optioned a feature script from) ... he's running with the story idea and will have the 2nd draft this weekend to me.

That easy. Have someone else do it. :)

Nah, I can write it myself. LoL. It's just my writing process. I don't kick things out just to kick them out. I spend lots of time beating my brains in to the point where I can't think about it anymore, and then I write. By that time I feel that it has structure.

Although, I HAVE on occasion just done something really fast, just to show someone that I know structure.

Norm Sanders
03-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Well, the clock's ticking, and sounds like you've already spent nearly 2+ weeks thinking about it ... just don't let too much time go by, or you may be sacrificing production value & editing (VERY important), which will hurt the wonderful story you'll hopefully have brought to the table by then.

Kholi
03-11-2006, 03:30 AM
Well, the clock's ticking, and sounds like you've already spent nearly 2+ weeks thinking about it ... just don't let too much time go by, or you may be sacrificing production value & editing (VERY important), which will hurt the wonderful story you'll hopefully have brought to the table by then.
The more I think about it, the less wonderful it seems. :cheesy:

Future user
03-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Well, I ain't writin about no leotard wearing sissy boy runnin' around in a bedsheet thinkin' it's a cape.

Kevin Lee
03-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Well, I ain't writin about no leotard wearing sissy boy runnin' around in a bedsheet thinkin' it's a cape.

haha, I fully concur with that statement.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2006, 09:03 PM
I'm gonna cross post this in the other two or three threads about this since there seems to be no clear official word and there's no official thread or sticky :)

I was gonna do something like "A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE"

Please don't ask us, it's up to YOU to decide. Really. Don't ask me to get geekier than I already am. The term "hero" is thrown around a lot today, so you might want to put the bar a little higher lest you include the really helpful lady at your vet--or at least put a cape on her. :)
Based on this defintition I took was developing something about a man who was seen as a hero in his community and then does something that might seem heroic on some level but turns out to just be graphic and awful and at the opposite end of the human spectrum - animalistic anc base and violent an primal

because THIS mod (Barry) in THIS definition left it open to MORTALS with heroic qualities ... in other words someone that commits or is capable of committing an act of heroism!

Now somehow Jarred seems to have made it just SUPER hero's b uy nature of calling it SUPER hero in another thread after Barry's.

Glad it's not two weeks before the contest. I'm also only 65% as interested now.

But maybe Jarred was just being loose with his language when he typed SUPER hero after Barry had just typed hero, and excluded jantors for going to work everyday and commuting 90 minutes each way, but including tellers that stop a bank robbery, a dad that throws him or herself in front of a bullet to save his kid, etc.

I, hope it's left to the more broad definition that may include extrordinary mortals/and or movies that deal thematically with what it is / means to be a hero. :thumbsup:

Norm Sanders
03-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Well honestly, I was originally psyched about ther HERO theme, and less psyched about Super Heroes. My original banner for Hero Fest was a CU of a Fireman with walls of flame blowing out from behind him.

I was planning on doing something that was truly heroic (no, not Donate-A-Kidney-Man, like Barry_S had joked about), but was not going to be in the typical vein of comic book / graphic novel super heroes.

Unfortunately, I've not seen anything from Jarred or Barry_S that's made things concrete as to the specifics ... however, the poster example that Jarred posted kind of helped to make things pretty clear cut.

So at this point, I'm hoping that all that participate are truly doing SUPER HERO films, of one kind or another ... things of a traditional sense that people can watch and say, yes, that's a SUPER HERO film ... not question if it really qualifies as such. If not, and the film did well, it could be frusterating, as I do believe there are some limitations when you're trying to work around a fictional super hero vs. a really cool dramatic and/or action orientated heroic event/act/person.

We're getting the second draft of our SUPER HERO film tonight from our writer.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Well honestly, I was originally psyched about ther HERO theme, and less psyched about Super Heroes. My original banner for Hero Fest was a CU of a Fireman with walls of flame blowing out from behind him.

I was planning on doing something that was truly heroic (no, not Donate-A-Kidney-Man, like Barry_S had joked about), but was not going to be in the typical vein of comic book / graphic novel super heroes.

Unfortunately, I've not seen anything from Jarred or Barry_S that's made things concrete as to the specifics ... however, the poster example that Jarred posted kind of helped to make things pretty clear cut.

So at this point, I'm hoping that all that participate are truly doing SUPER HERO films, of one kind or another ... things of a traditional sense that people can watch and say, yes, that's a SUPER HERO film ... not question if it really qualifies as such. If not, and the film did well, it could be frusterating, as I do believe there are some limitations when you're trying to work around a fictional super hero vs. a really cool dramatic and/or action orientated heroic event/act/person.

We're getting the second draft of our SUPER HERO film tonight from our writer.

right but we had a film do well and rightly so with a growling briefcase (there is something that makes it officially sci fi in the film but its very very subtle) and another film where people just talked about science and didn't have to deal with any sfx

and in zombie fest there was a film where a zombie just rotted in a Shed, while in others there were cool more genre appropraite chases etc.

Also widely different avoidence or conquering the limitations in sci fi -- some lots of effects, some none, some bad effects.

And you could do a superhero who reads minds, or can control your mind -- no flying or bending bars or flame throwing necessary.

So I think a trying to create a level obstacle course by insuring that everyone has to address the issues of how to make someone super on a shoestring budget is kind of pointless.

I think theme is the way to go and broad theme can include all.

I'd like to see a diverse selection of films.

Brandon Rice
03-12-2006, 10:10 PM
I would agree in seeing a vast diversity in films in this fest. We saw lots of takes on sci-fi, some ever "superhero" in nature. I for one don't think a hero or superhero needs a supernatural power. Look at Batman. :)

Kholi
03-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I would agree in seeing a vast diversity in films in this fest. We saw lots of takes on sci-fi, some ever "superhero" in nature. I for one don't think a hero or superhero needs a supernatural power. Look at Batman. :)

There's a reason batman is considered a Superhero though. He has gadgets, kung-fu grip, and a seriously wicked vehicle.

He also wears a costume and has a secret identity. Regardless of his selfless acts of heroism and ass-kickingness... you can still say "Batman is a Superhero".

I'm all for diversity in films, though. Just making a point.