PDA

View Full Version : Second Camera

ggrantly
03-07-2006, 11:33 PM
I am seeking opinions regarding a new cam. I have a DVX and am thinking about a better (?) cam for 2 cam shoots or where some added features might be a good thing. I will attempting to do corporate, training, and or documentary work. HD (V) would be ok but not necessary at all. Progressive is ok but not essential. Interchangeable lenses or a longer lense than the DVX would be good, so the form factor would probably be a shoulder mount. Bigger chips...probably. Better viewfinder = good. Budget.....10k would hurt but I couldn't tell my wife unless it makes money.

The usual suspects are:

XL2 that is ready for the prom (16X9 too)
JVC 5100 with good lens and viewfinder
Sony 1/2" something (I have a DV-DVCAM deck)
JVC HD100 (seems a little iffy) and I would have to buy a new vtr
OR ??

Thanks in advance

J.R. Hudson
03-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Well you have all your bases covered

"HD (V) would be ok but not necessary at all"

"Progressive is ok but not essential"

Interchangeable lenses or a longer lense than the DVX would be good

I say XL2 if you just need the Long stuff. Sounds like the rest is a bit too much for your needs

galt
03-08-2006, 08:34 AM
"I will attempting to do corporate, training, and or documentary work."

I would say rent or borrow a second cam when you have a paying gig that requires it. Once you have done a few two-cam shoots, you will figure out what kind of extra features you need and what the cost is in terms of matching footage, etc. For corporate and training, I would just add a second DVX or an HVX. Two different cams means two sets of batteries, two sets of filters, different handling characteristics, etc...

discs of tron
03-08-2006, 10:50 AM
yeah, i'd expect that the hvx would make sense since it shares a lot of the dvx's basic design stuff and capability, like the gamma settings and stuff. i haven't played with one yet, but i'd think that sd shot on the hvx would match well with the dvx. and if you're mostly working in sd for now, you could just pick up one 4 gb card to occasionally shoot 720p in all of the various framerates that are available, then down-rez that stuff in camera to dv tape. this seems like a great way to get true slo-mo and undercranking effects.

i guess this doesn't address the longer lens thing, but since you could get the hvx with a 4gb card for around $7k, you'd have plenty of money left over for a nice schneider adaptor.