PDA

View Full Version : MiniDV Film Look.

-zach-
03-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Hello all, I have a challenge. For both me, and you. Recently a band named "Border Patrol" approached me and asked me to film a music video for their hit song... (It's not really a hit, but it's the one around here that everyone knows.) That's not the point. The point is, the movie will be almost no-budget, considering that everything I want to do with it is pretty much straightforward. (the most prestigious thing I'm doing is spraypainting some wood green for a greenscreen, lol.) I've decided to shoot in MiniDV, for the hell of it, and also because it gives me long record times, and I want to capture alot of footage.

BASICALLY, my question is, how can I create a film/24p look, without having to do much? Plug-ins, Film techniques? Here are the tools that I am willing to use for the video. (Basically me saying that there's a time limit to get the video finished and I suck at AE.) So, the programs readily available:

-FCP (including LiveType, Soundtrack, Bleh)
-iDVD (Don't have time for DVD studio)
-Flash 8

Plugins for film look? Filters included in FCP? Help would be greatly appreciated.

-zach-
03-06-2006, 08:35 PM
There are 24 people viewing right now and no one answers. Cool.

spooky138
03-07-2006, 04:17 AM
What type of camcorder are you shooting with?

Spartacus
03-07-2006, 06:27 AM
BASICALLY, my question is, how can I create a film/24p look, without having to do much?

well, shoot film or just get serious about moviemaking...
seriously, you could use the camera this community is all about or any other dv25p cam (well, there arenīt many ofīm...)
Plug ins would be the (in)famous magic bullet or nattress for FCP, there are more just do a search...
and maybe read more, even if itīs only on this forum...

SilverWolf
03-07-2006, 07:25 AM
The best way to get a 24p look is to shoot in 24p, now if by film look you mean make it look like a movie, Then that's a lot harder. I don't really know of a way to make it look like a movie without doing much but I would say one of the best ways to hide that homecam video look is having great lighting. In the end you will need Great Lighting , Audio , Actors and then I guess you should worry about the "film look". I would rather watch a great movie on Minidv that a Crappy one on Film.

Jaime Valles
03-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Check this out:

http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/index.htm

spooky138
03-08-2006, 07:57 AM
Another option you might want to really consider is shooting the music video on a Super8 movie camera. You can buy these for really cheap and you'd obviously get a "film look" 'cos you're shooting on film. I'm assuming the project is going to be roughly three minutes give or take since it's a music video, so you could get by rather cheaply going this route.