PDA

View Full Version : Shooting with HVX for SuperHero Fest

CineProducer
03-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Searched through a lot of posts; saw a few people have asked but saw no responses. Can we shoot with the HVX? or DVX only?

Kholi
03-02-2006, 10:26 PM
The last contest was HVX and DVX. I'm assuming this one is going to be the same.

Big advantage to those with the HVX... this is the perfect contest for overused slow-mo.

Prepare yourselves... because I KNOW I'm going to use some slow-mo. LOL.

Barry_S
03-02-2006, 10:34 PM
The HVX is definitely acceptable. It'll be interesting to see if there's any qualitative difference on the web-sized files.

Kholi
03-02-2006, 10:35 PM
I don't think there will be. Not until you start allowing h.264 files. =P

If anything, I think it'll be a DISADVANTAGE to shoot with the HVX200 in competition.

That's right, i said it.. How many of us/you know how to use that camera to it's full potential in ratio to those whom know how to mahandle a DVX100a/b?

I don't know either, but I'm willing to bet the DVX entries are going to have better visuals than the HVX entries. =)

Geoff_R
03-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Which, if any, scifi fest films were shot with the HVX?

The last contest was HVX and DVX. I'm assuming this one is going to be the same.

Big advantage to those with the HVX... this is the perfect contest for overused slow-mo.

Prepare yourselves... because I KNOW I'm going to use some slow-mo. LOL.

Kholi
03-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Dunno which ones were shot with the HVX. I do know that the rules stated that you could use both cameras for the production.

That's interesting, though-- I wonder who, if anyone, used an HVX at all.

Blaine
03-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Dunno which ones were shot with the HVX. I do know that the rules stated that you could use both cameras for the production.

That's interesting, though-- I wonder who, if anyone, used an HVX at all.
I could be wrong but I don't think anyone did. They were a bit late getting to market and there were issues with editing. Next time around (Hero Fest) I think we're going to see at least a couple of entries with the HVX. :happy:

Geoff_R
03-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Kholi, I never owned a DVX but used it quite often for my shoots. I just got my HVX and haven't had time to do extensive testing yet (rainy/snowy days.. need sunshine!!) but it feels very similar to a DVX and interior wise (testing), I've been able to get some images I'd expect to get with a DVX except at HD rez. The only real adjustment I've had to make relates to focusing. I know I can't trust the LCD and have to spend time with the Focus Assist and viewfinder.

I think for people who never owned a DVX or used one extensively; they'll be at a disadvantage with the HVX because they won't have all the basic 'DVX' type skills. But in the end, I guess it's all up to the DP since I've seen great and horrible footage from both cams.

Oh yea... I'll be using the slow-mo too... that and some time lapses!

Kholi
03-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Kholi, I never owned a DVX but used it quite often for my shoots. I just got my HVX and haven't had time to do extensive testing yet (rainy/snowy days.. need sunshine!!) but it feels very similar to a DVX and interior wise (testing), I've been able to get some images I'd expect to get with a DVX except at HD rez. The only real adjustment I've had to make relates to focusing. I know I can't trust the LCD and have to spend time with the Focus Assist and viewfinder.

I think for people who never owned a DVX or used one extensively; they'll be at a disadvantage with the HVX because they won't have all the basic 'DVX' type skills. But in the end, I guess it's all up to the DP since I've seen great and horrible footage from both cams.

Oh yea... I'll be using the slow-mo too... that and some time lapses!

I don't own a DVX or an HVX. =DDD But my company owns a DVX, and we might have an HVX or two by the time I start shooting hehe.

It'll be all up to who's behind the camera, definitely. But, there are still issues with the HVX that would pose a problem for those shooting for competition, I'd say. Either way, it'll be fun... especially if I actually enter.

I haven't gotten on that list yet.

Brandon Rice
03-03-2006, 09:32 AM
I haven't gotten on that list yet.
My bad dude... adding you now...

kimko
03-03-2006, 03:33 PM
don't shoot too slow(on slo-mo) you have only 5 min!

Cinestarproductions
03-08-2006, 08:41 AM
although, slow motion does put great emphasis on fight scenes.:violent5:

Thomas J. O'Hara
03-08-2006, 10:56 AM
or even shooting at a bit lower framerate and making the fights seem faster, like in martial arts movies.

lpcvideo1
03-08-2006, 07:53 PM
or even shooting at a bit lower framerate and making the fights seem faster, like in martial arts movies.

You could do the whole short in 12fps and get a ten minute movie!

profnoxin
03-09-2006, 01:37 AM
That sounds like an absolutely wonderful idea. Brilliant.