PDA

View Full Version : March Status Report Thread

Brandon Rice
03-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Figured we might as well start one... updates on where you are in production on your short.

As for myself, I finally came up with a real workable concept, and I pretty well fleshed out the characters and the story. Just have to sit down and write the script. It's all in my head. Need it on paper now!

Kholi
03-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Not officialy stating that I'm in the contest, yet--

But I haven't put a single word down on paper.

I'm trying a schedule out:

Week 1 and 2 of March: Conceptualization, writing, re-write x 4
Week 3 of March: Storyboarding, Visual Concept
Week 4 of March: pre-Production, auditions, Location Scouting

That's what my March should look like if I actually get to participate.

Filmjunkie677
03-02-2006, 07:19 PM
I got my title.

spidey
03-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Concept is already made. writing this weekend and storyboarding. main actor is casted. Costume designing under way.

ExtremeSleuth
03-02-2006, 07:54 PM
i'm still deciding between my 2 ideas... i will soon start writing

Mike McNeese
03-02-2006, 08:30 PM
First draft - check.

Brandon Rice
03-02-2006, 08:34 PM
First draft - check.

Awesome!

Blaine
03-02-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm glad to see people jumping on it...not waiting for the last minute. Good on you all. :beer: :beer:

JimtheJib
03-02-2006, 09:05 PM
i just started my script... got a lot a head of me... just a quick question. 5 minutes is roughly 5 to 6 pages?

Kholi
03-02-2006, 09:36 PM
i just started my script... got a lot a head of me... just a quick question. 5 minutes is roughly 5 to 6 pages?

Not necessarily. Do a read out loud and see how long it takes to finish it. Close the doors though-- it's embarassing. =P

EditPhish
03-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Outline and basic structure down on paper, and overall idea is fleshed out. Bought first costume element. Got the lead cast.

i_&_t
03-02-2006, 10:18 PM
have concept and two actors lined up. we have our visualiztion/design pretty well down. hope to get the other actors by sunday and have it written by mid week. we are completely excited!:Drogar-Evil(DBG):

Kholi
03-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Wow you guys move fast.

Beat Takeshi
03-02-2006, 10:24 PM
I have my story down, have the actors, have location, have crew, have to get prop gun. Shooting when it gets little warmer. I have a simple story but I think it should be very entertaining.

MsMahattan is fleshing out her story and hers is going to be character driven. Im probably going to DP hers.

EditPhish
03-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey Aram, being you're in the city I'd appreciate your input on my "locations" thread...

Blaine
03-02-2006, 10:27 PM
It depends on action to dialogue ratio. If you're heavy on dialogue, your pages will run fast, if you're heavy on action, it's just the opposite. You can use the 1 minute/page easier on a longer project because it will usually even itself out. But on a short you really need to take into account how much action you're packing into your pages. Three pages could easily output 6-7 minutes of movie if it's action driven.

i_&_t
03-02-2006, 10:35 PM
It depends on action to dialogue ratio. If you're heavy on dialogue, your pages will run fast, if you're heavy on action, it's just the opposite. You can use the 1 minute/page easier on a longer project because it will usually even itself out. But on a short you really need to take into account how much action you're packing into your pages. Three pages could easily output 6-7 minutes of movie if it's action driven.
yeah, we found that out the hard way for our first short (which was for zombiefest)! good thinking on including that piece of advice...:)

Kholi
03-02-2006, 10:48 PM
=( I feel slow. LoL

Everyone's already got a concept, written, casted... geez... I'm just now planning tone and flow. Someone give me a lesson in speedy production.

i_&_t
03-02-2006, 10:58 PM
=( I feel slow. LoL

Everyone's already got a concept, written, casted... geez... I'm just now planning tone and flow. Someone give me a lesson in speedy production.

nah, sometimes the ideas flow and sometimes they don't. you have lots of time (almost three months). if you try to rush it too much then it won't work. we plan on taking march to do pre-pro, april for shooting/editing, and may for all other post.:)

Daniel Skubal
03-02-2006, 11:07 PM
So far:

1. I got my idea and started writing dialogue
2. Started special fx shots
3. Started on prop design
4. Began working on score
5. Casting has started, meaning we have a few people in mind but nothing set in stone.

Next up: Storyboarding
Screen tests
Script readthrough and then principal photog. I'm really excited about this project.

profnoxin
03-03-2006, 04:59 AM
Concept is done. Basically started and scrapped three concepts before we settled on one. First draft should be done by tomorrow. Plan is to shoot this thing side by side with the DVX and on 720p HD. Of course we'll enter the DVX version on-line and then when voting is concluded release the HD version. Luckily, I'm about to start on a T.V. series as the D.P. and may have access to all of our gear and crew (if they know what's good for them) in my spare time.

What the producers don't know wont get me sent to jail!

Ralph Oshiro
03-03-2006, 06:11 AM
1. Struggled like hell to think of a "superhero" angle.
2. Visited ex-girlfriend (XGF) and found some really neat locations where she now lives--shot some exterior tests with my trusty DVX100 (which I'm really falling in love with again for some reason) which looked pretty cool.
3. Realized that some of XGF's family are perfect for certain parts.
4. I think I have sort of, kind of a superhero idea for a character.
5. Realized that I probably would never be able to clear a 3 Doors Down song for my short.
6. Actually excited about "Hero-fest" even though I don't like superheroes.
7. Actually excited about "Hero-fest" since I'll actually have time to actually try to do something decent this time.
8. Still wondering if Sci-fest 2 is still a possibility . . .

Shaun Patrick
03-03-2006, 06:45 AM
8. Still wondering if Sci-fest 2 is still a possibility . . .

One can always hope.

Brandon Rice
03-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Started writing last night. Have the intro, and one scene written. Got all my character's and names. Got a title too! Sent a few emails last night to begin casting!

Kholi
03-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm totally jealous.

GEEZ you guys write fast, seriously. I'm still in the process of setting tone, and you guys are already in the process of finding actors to fill roles.

Anyone want to share some secrets? =D

Brandon Rice
03-03-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm totally jealous.

GEEZ you guys write fast, seriously. I'm still in the process of setting tone, and you guys are already in the process of finding actors to fill roles.

Anyone want to share some secrets? =D

I don't know any secrets. I've gone through three ideas until landing on "what I think" is a sold one. I even started writing a script for one of my ideas... then scrapped it. I just start writing, and don't really care if it's polished right away... then I go back later and make changes, and fix things.

Kholi
03-03-2006, 11:30 AM
I guess that's what my issue is. I tend to have a process that I go through instead of just writing and then coming back later.

I tend to sit and stare at a wall or something for hours, talking to myself and listening to music until I find someone's voice...

But I'm not crazy... I swear.

WilderWorks
03-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Working on third draft of screenplay now... :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

WilderWorks
03-03-2006, 11:51 AM
5 minutes is roughly 5 to 6 pages?

If you're writing in standard screenplay format, and you keep your action lines vertical (a new sentence/paragraph for each significant movement/shot/action), and you'll get pretty damn close to 1 page = 1 minute. If you cut corners and squish all your action into one paragraph, you're gonna be unpleasantly surprised!

wcs
03-03-2006, 11:55 AM
well.. I've got the characters breathing... and I've got the scenes that I think define the story... now I'm working on the final structure of the overall story (got the arc - working on making it stronger).

but, I also already know the main actor I'm gonna use, and the rest of the parts can be rewritten depending on the available talent (it's just how I write)..

I'm a simple man, I guess.

5. Realized that I probably would never be able to clear a 3 Doors Down song for my short.

I started replying to this, but then I realized you might not have been making a joke about one of their more... obviously superhero-related songs.

P!body
03-03-2006, 11:57 AM
I've got my concept and loose story, I keep trying to push through, but it is hard to get focused.
I am however making the most use of my time- so far. Just trying not to force or rush anything yet.

I'm working on writing my Herofest entry.
But I keep fighting myself on whether it should be a light comedy or if I should try keeping it more serious with bits of humor. Last fest the comedy didn't seem to "place" so well. What do you guys think?

Brandon Rice
03-03-2006, 11:59 AM
I've got my concept and loose story, but I keep fighting myself on whether it should be a light comedy or if I should try keeping it more serious with bits of humor. Last fest the comedy didn't seem to "place" so well. What do you guys think?

Well, A Brief Case snagged 3rd place, and it was a bit more lighthearted. I think comedies can work... if done right. Even ODD Squad had a bit of humor in it too.

lucidz
03-03-2006, 11:59 AM
I have about 1/3 of the story written, then i need to do a treatment of it. I have a casting call tomorrow to meet some new actors, so we shall see.

Brandon Rice
03-03-2006, 12:00 PM
I started replying to this, but then I realized you might not have been making a joke about one of their more... obviously superhero-related songs.

Yeah... Superman! Great song! Used to be the song I'd always sing when I did karaoke! I love karaoke! LOL!

Filmjunkie677
03-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Well, A Brief Case snagged 3rd place, and it was a bit more lighthearted. I think comedies can work... if done right. Even ODD Squad had a bit of humor in it too.

And lets not forget, Disjecta's zombie entry!!

Brandon Rice
03-03-2006, 12:01 PM
And lets not forget, Disjecta's zombie entry!!

That's right... he snagged 3rd with that one too! Lighthearted comedy films can work. They just have to be good :)

Kholi
03-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Comedy can work... if you're a funny person to begin with. =DDDD

No, seriously-- A lot of people are going to be expecting comedic tones in these entries. Someone had already stated that when it was first announced. And then, Wilderworks would rather see a horrible comedy attempt than a horrible attempt at seriousness. I think he used the word "pretentious", didn't he?

Well, I still haven't done anything but scribble in a notebook, so you've all got me beaten.

I'm totally jealous of EVERYONE.

Brandon Rice
03-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Comedy can work... if you're a funny person to begin with. =DDDD

True... darn it! I guess that leaves me out!! :furious3:

Kholi
03-03-2006, 12:22 PM
True... darn it! I guess that leaves me out!! :furious3:

=P

There'll be lots of comedic entries and lots of attempts at serious ones. I wonder who's going to be the person to do a Superhero-Horror movie? :cough:

lucidz
03-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Mine is definitely going to be a comedy. And I can fairly well estimate it'll draw far fewer laughs than my sci fest entry. although for the wrong reasons.

Beat Takeshi
03-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Comedy for me

pmark23
03-03-2006, 07:09 PM
One screenplay done. Working on another right now. I have three possible stories (each one taking the piss out of the superhero genre I hate so much -- fun!), and will write them all up to see which is best.

Daniel Skubal
03-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Just finished up a sample music score... hopefully I'll be able to use it when the time comes :)

WilderWorks
03-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Wilderworks would rather see a horrible comedy attempt than a horrible attempt at seriousness.

But don't forget, I also said we wouldn't have to worry about either of those, because every single entry is gonna be spectacular. Though, yeah, I think pretentious is a good thing to steer clear of. :)

Kholi
03-03-2006, 11:23 PM
But don't forget, I also said we wouldn't have to worry about either of those, because every single entry is gonna be spectacular. Though, yeah, I think pretentious is a good thing to steer clear of. :)

Eh, to tell you the truth, pretentious is an opinion. I've heard people dub Crash pretentious. But you know what? I didn't mind it at all.

November? Listen to the writer speak on pretention in the commentary. It is what it is, but I don't think people should let their work being viewed as pretentious be something to negate a decent story.

snodart
03-03-2006, 11:28 PM
My side kick and I (or am I the side kick?) have an idea we both like going. I am scrambling to finish building my 35mm adapter and steadicam rig first. Probably not a good idea... I think I can, I think I can.....

WilderWorks
03-03-2006, 11:48 PM
I don't think people should let their work being viewed as pretentious be something to negate a decent story.

I have to agree, and yet I don't think that happens too often. Usually, it's the reverse, since pretention is when an artist is pretending the story is something it's not. That usually means the good story it could have been is walled up behind all the nonsense it's pretending to be, which is usually "serious" nonsense. I have no problem with something like Crash, that's actually attempting to tackle important and enormous issues like racism. I have a problem with someone putting on that tone and that gravity to tell what should be good, pure entertainment. It's like giving Indiana Jones a deep, philosophical voice over about the nature of evil and god, and cutting the whip-snapping to fit it in. That would be pretentious.

Just let it be what it is.

eignacio
03-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Friday night...still tweaking up the script.

Ralph Oshiro
03-04-2006, 12:04 PM
I started replying to this, but then I realized you might not have been making a joke about one of their more... obviously superhero-related songs.No, I just really like the tone of one 3 Doors Down song. I just ask the clearance guys at NBC, and they print out the publisher contact for me. They told me I only have to contact one person, and they take it from there (publisher, artist, label). In other words, you don't have to contact the publisher and then contact the artist/label separately. It's easy enough--you could go to the BMI or ASCAP sites and find the info yourself. I tried to clear a song for my original Sci-fest script by The Veronicas, but of course, I didn't even get that far due to time constraints.

This would not be for a soundtrack bed or anything. I just like the sound of real pop songs for end title credits, and how that makes your movie "feel" as you fade to black on your final shot.

RMI Studios
03-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Does anyone know when the deadline might be?

Also, since NBCSHOOTER is talking about music & licensing..if anyone wants/needs original music, let me know! I can convincingly provide just about any genre of music you might need for your flick (pop, rock, jazz, latin, 70's funk/disco, 80's new wave, 90's pop, grunge, 60's psychadelic rock, classic rock, hiphop, r&b, classical).

I can also create all the incidental source music you might need, like for music playing out of a tv or radio in the frame, the music in a restaurant office or elevator.. and you won't have to license music or use royalty-free stock tracks!

Check out my thread below for samples and more info:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=48382

C.R.

Brandon Rice
03-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Does anyone know when the deadline might be?

C.R.

Tenatively, May 30.

RMI Studios
03-04-2006, 12:37 PM
K, thanks :)

C.R.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=48382

Norm Sanders
03-04-2006, 01:07 PM

Just now trying to catch up on some of these threads. The above will really vary on the writer and the director. For instance, the writer may be VERY detailed in their action lines, which means the action could pace evenly or be even faster than what's on the page ... this was true for PANDORA, since we had a 12 page script that delivered an 7+ minute movie. The warehouse scene, for example, took nearly half the script with all the action I'd written out, yet only took about 1-2 minutes of film time.

Also, as far as dialogue goes, it depends on the scene & feel ... there could be dramatic pauses, opportunities for the talent to SHOW how they feel vs. just saying it, etc. ... things that really add to the clock.

Kholi
03-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Just now trying to catch up on some of these threads. The above will really vary on the writer and the director. For instance, the writer may be VERY detailed in their action lines, which means the action could pace evenly or be even faster than what's on the page ... this was true for PANDORA, since we had a 12 page script that delivered an 7+ minute movie. The warehouse scene, for example, took nearly half the script with all the action I'd written out, yet only took about 1-2 minutes of film time.

Also, as far as dialogue goes, it depends on the scene & feel ... there could be dramatic pauses, opportunities for the talent to SHOW how they feel vs. just saying it, etc. ... things that really add to the clock.

Does that mean it depends on what VERSION of the script you're using? I'd think a SHOOTING SCRIPT would be a longer version of the original, that's if anyone actually uses a shooting script to go off of in these contests?

I'm not even plotting out the fight scenes in my entry... I just put "they fight" and then the outcome. =P

By the way, on my status (since this is a status report thread):

I'm still in conceptualizing and Tone lock down stages. LOL. I've put in a good seventy-two hours of straight thinking so far, though.

WilderWorks
03-04-2006, 03:12 PM

You can obviously do whatever works for yourself, which is clearly the case in this contest. However, if you keep your actions concise, and your spacing verticle, you can get a really accurate estimate from the screenplay. Pauses in dialogue broken by paranthetics or stage action, etc. And it would have the benefit of being formatted as preferred in spec scripts -- 90 pages for a 90 minute movie. But again, if you've got a system that works for you, go for it! But if you want a sense of what the length of the finished product *could* be like, following the format is surprisingly effective.

Mino
03-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Just found out John Williams is busy on another project so I'm starting to write my own score

RMI Studios
03-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Just found out John Williams is busy on another project so I'm starting to write my own score

Hate when that happens...

hero-fest composer thread (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=48382)

C.R.

Gary the Llama
03-07-2006, 03:51 PM
My outline of the script is done. The script itself should be done by Friday. This weekend I'm hopefully going to be meeting with my key players in the crew (Assistant Director, Director of Photography, Art Director, and Producer) and get a schedule going.

Tenatively shooting won't start until mid-April. Fortunately, I'll be able to start some of my post work long before we even start production. Yeah, I know that's a backwards way of doing it but it should work out well.

I'm very, very excited for the project. Nervous though...

Larry Rutledge
03-07-2006, 05:27 PM
I have my hero defined, now I need to come up with a story to use him in :) Hoping to get my script completed by the end of March (with revisions) and then start filming the first week of April.

My goal is to be done by May 15th ... because that is my birthday (hey if Jarred can set the deadline on his b-day, I can set my personal deadline on my b-day). Plus I am a procrastinator, so that gives my 15 days to slip :grin:

Aaron Marshall
03-07-2006, 11:09 PM
I have my story. It still needs some tweaking to make it more "heroic". I've been scouting locations this week. I've found some groovy places. I just hope I can muster the actors I'll need and make it all click in the end. Getting actors is the biggest hurdle for me so far. That, and a few props and outfits for my supporting characters.

:grin:

WilderWorks
03-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Time for draft #4. It's called "The Cheaper than Cheapest" draft. Can you guess what the first three were called?

Cinestarproductions
03-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Idea and shooting days have been selected.

Working on script and storyboard.

Actors have been selected.

Can't wait for this go round.:kali:

Aaron Marshall
03-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Today was the first day of principle photography for me. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It was a good start.

Kholi
03-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Today was the first day of principle photography for me. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It was a good start.

Omg. You people move SO fast. LoL. I'm really beginning to think that I'm slacking.

Aaron Marshall
03-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Omg. You people move SO fast. LoL. I'm really beginning to think that I'm slacking.

I'm just trying to get it out of my way so I can move onto the effects, and editing which will take a buttload of time!

Kholi
03-10-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm just trying to get it out of my way so I can move onto the effects, and editing which will take a buttload of time!

Yeah I was thinking about that. I want to speed it up a bit more so that I don't get caught in editing/effects stages.

Not like I've ever done ANY of that in the first place.

Brandon Rice
03-13-2006, 11:21 AM
On idea 3. Writing new script. Hope 3 times is the charm.

Mike McNeese
03-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Script is being polished and will be done tonight. Still having trouble rounding up a couple cast positions...starting to sweat!

WilderWorks
03-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Casting and location time! :furious3:

Brandon Rice
03-16-2006, 10:08 PM
finished my first draft... my head hurts... I think that's because I am sick

Mino
03-16-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm almost finished the first draft and have come to realize how tough it is to tell my story in five minutes. I have had to lose a whole bunch of players from the script and have the main character holding up the title and credit cards to save time. Short of speeding up the flick 50% and hiring Alvin from the Chipmunks to narrate the thing I don't know what else to do!

Larry Rutledge
03-17-2006, 12:06 AM
Finished my first draft, got some feedback from respected colleagues - will begin second draft this weekend.

Worked with my costume designer to identify and locate the "superhero" costume.

Norm Sanders
03-17-2006, 02:14 AM
Third draft has been turned in, and approved by all who's read it so far. Finding out if our same stunt/FX coodinator from our last film will be able to work this one as well (may be out of town for a Samuel L. Jackson film during that time). Will find out in a day or so who our seamstress/wardrobe will be.

Through Craig's List we've got a gaggle of PA's wanting to work, as well as a Production Designer/Prop Master, and various other crew.

Still need a Location Scout/Manager to snag us some of the locations that are in the script.

Auditions are this Tuesday.

spidey
03-17-2006, 05:20 AM
Script done (revision now)
Location found
Actors mostly set.
storyboards are underway.
Costume is being design by hand now no longer drawings.
scheduled dates for shoot.
now shot list underway.

JimtheJib
03-17-2006, 06:21 AM
i've finished the script. ive got location, actors and hopefully a composer. i think i'm set. now i've got to do pre-vis.... oh and costumes

i can't wait to see everybody elses entries

spidey
03-17-2006, 07:19 AM
oh composer awaiting cut.

Final Design Studios
03-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Okay the things I've done so far.

Order bits of pieces of the costume
Have makeup guy working on mask
gone location scouting ( I only need one)
Finalized visual effects tests
Talked to 1 actor
Talked to 1 camera operator
Talked to Composer
Script is done
Hoping to shoot late april (its zero right now, no one wants to wear tights in that, wait till the snow melts.)

What I need to do...
Find good gloves, boots, and cape, for hero
Get villian cast
Finalize hero casting
Lock down a location
Shoot
Edit
And turn it in.

Final Design Studios
03-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Now I just ordered my spandex......a fantasy unitard. I have to buy something to smooth out "the bulge"

Alex DePew
03-17-2006, 06:09 PM
may be out of town for a Samuel L. Jackson film during that time

Snakes on a Plane?

Peter Murphy
03-17-2006, 06:31 PM
I've got my concept pretty much fleshed out, I'll probably write the script once I finish up some other things I am working on. I've started sculpting a prosthetic for one of my main characters. And I have about half of the things i need for the main characters costumes. Other than that I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

Brandon Rice
03-18-2006, 06:11 PM
2nd draft done... getting ready to contact some actor's/actresses.

Norm Sanders
03-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Everyone, and I mean everyone has really dug our third draft, so I think it's set in stone.

Ryan (235 Studios fka waltind) and I just got back from the auditions we held tonight, and there are a few TOUGH calls. However, one of the people that auditioned for the lead was just SO dead on perfect, there was really no question ... even before anyone else auditioned for the role, we knew they were it.

Also had most of the crew stop by tonight that was interested in working with us ... always want to meet the people first to get a vibe for them. One guy, who wants to PA for us even asked if he could stick around for the auditions to help, which was great as we kept sending him upstairs for the next lucky contestant.

This will be a blast, and for me, is the festival I'm getting excited about the most so far, not only for watching but participating in!

Ramon Boutviseth
03-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Im still twiddling my thumbs on this project.

Aaron Marshall
03-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Hiro, get on it man! I'd be sorely disappointed if you didn't have an entry in the fest. I love your work.

Larry Rutledge
03-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Finished 2nd draft, but heard back from my readers that I may have made a wrong turn with this draft. http://www.nrestudios.com/images/EmoteHeadbang.gif Back to the drawing board.

Sent out a call for various cast/crew positions, got some very promising responses. Already signed a 1st AD who has worked on films such as xXx, Cheaper By The Dozen (with Steve Martin) and tv shows such as Medium and Six Feet Under.

Preparing for Auditions.

Curugon
03-27-2006, 12:12 AM
Yeah Hiro, get your gear in motion! Always enjoy your stuff.

Anyway we just finished a ridiculously long weekend of filming. Every inch aches, but I probably have it easy compared to the actors, who endured hours of running, jumping, and major combat. This is my first true endurance test with the HVX, and so far it's displayed the same workhorse stamina as the DVX. I love this camera!

snodart
03-27-2006, 12:16 AM
I'm getting nervous. My cohort and I are still working on the idea.
:undecided

lucidz
03-27-2006, 10:26 AM
what the hell larry!

Larry Rutledge
03-27-2006, 10:53 AM
what the hell larry! Honest, it was a total stroke of luck. I put out a call on craigslist for crew and he responded. I then wrote back and said, look I'm fairly new and inexperienced and there is no money in this project - he said, no problem it sounds like fun! :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

I have also opened a dialog with one of the costume/prop makers from films like "War of the Worlds", "Zathura", "Eight Below", and "Perfect Storm". And the kicker is, I just found out he also worked on "Snakes On A Plane" - I'm trying to convince him to help with my costume.

The rest of us, both in the cast and crew, are inexperienced and don't know what we're doing - so no need to fear . . . not too much, any way. :)

Kholi
03-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Honest, it was a total stroke of luck. I put out a call on craigslist for crew and he responded. I then wrote back and said, look I'm fairly new and inexperienced and there is no money in this project - he said, no problem it sounds like fun! :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

I have also opened a dialog with one of the costume/prop makers from films like "War of the Worlds", "Zathura", "Eight Below", and "Perfect Storm". And the kicker is, I just found out he also worked on "Snakes On A Plane" - I'm trying to convince him to help with my costume.

The rest of us, both in the cast and crew, are inexperienced and don't know what we're doing - so no need to fear . . . not too much, any way. :)

Cool stuff, Larry.

I plan on craigslisting some stuff soon. I hope I have as much luck as you!

Filmjunkie677
03-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Great, Curagon is in the fest and he's using an HVX. We all might as well concede 1st place to him.
LOL.
Glad to see you're in this fest, Curagon. We missed you during sci-fest.

Beat Takeshi
03-27-2006, 11:19 AM
just waiting on warmer weather

Kholi
03-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Great, Curagon is in the fest and he's using an HVX. We all might as well concede 1st place to him.
LOL.

I agree!

Nah, while it's all about winning, it's really not all about winning. (Total contradiction achieved). Me? I've never done more than writing. I just want to make something, and I'm hoping that it comes out half decent.

Blaine
03-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Me? I've never done more than writing. I just want to make something, and I'm hoping that it comes out half decent.
That's when we REALLY learn about compromise...:thumbsup:

Kholi
03-27-2006, 01:24 PM
That's when we REALLY learn about compromise...:thumbsup:

If I can even get going on it. But, i'm hoping so.

I suppose that my March status stands at: First Draft finished, trying to line-up helping hands.

Curugon
03-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Likewise, I really wish we could've been a part of that. I was blown away by many of the entries.

Green-screen shoot today, had a lot of fun. My 2K fuse blew out, gotta grab some backups tomorrow. And I'm finally realizing how much storage is needed for HD files... by the time we're done we'll have shot (an estimated 250) gigs. Yeesh.

Final Design Studios
03-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Holy crap. How much time does that translate into?

Ramon Boutviseth
03-27-2006, 11:22 PM
This contest is gonna be hot fo sho. Love the competition. I think i have an idea for a movie.... dont count me out just yet!

Kholi
03-28-2006, 11:47 PM
And after weeks of being in a writing phase--

Draft 2 finished, people on board. Let's hope I make deadline.

Daniel Skubal
03-29-2006, 08:37 AM
Storyboarding is about 20% done, script is 70% done with the final draft, actors are on board. Doing film tests next week.

Here's my predicament: When it rains it pours. I haven't had that much to shoot for a month and a half. Well this week, a second project fell into my lap and I'm REALLY interested in it. BUT He wants to shoot while we're shooting the herofest film. Hopefully I can work it in to the schedule.

Aaron Marshall
03-30-2006, 10:21 PM
ha! I feel your pain man. Indiana can be a real unpredictable BIOTCH when it comes to weather.

You know the old saying right? If you don't like the weather in Indiana; wait 5 minutes and it'll change.

Curugon
03-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Yesterday was crazy, one minute it would be heavy, heavy fog - the next, sunny and bright. Consistency was very hard to maintain.

And now as I write we're offloading footage as the actors wait for the next take. They all say "hi."

Daniel Skubal
03-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi winners :) lol

Noct, I forgot to tell you, I'm heading to IU for the weekend to see some friends.