PDA

View Full Version : sony HVRA1u Vs. DVX 100b

yohan
03-01-2006, 06:51 PM
O.k I am new here and have been trying to research on either buying the sony HVRA1u $2200 or DVX100b $3000. I am on a really shoe-string budget. I plan on shooting a documentary at the end of March. Does anyone have an opinion on which camera I should buy? I would like to shoot it in 24p.
Thanks

myfriendimage
03-01-2006, 07:24 PM
wich is more important HD or true 24p?

yohan
03-01-2006, 07:44 PM
I don't care too much about true 24p. As long as it looks good and sounds good. I had thought about the sony HDR fx1 but it does not have XLR audio inputs which are important to me.
Is the sony HVRA1u worth buying.(is the pic quality comparable to the DVX100b)

David Jimerson
03-02-2006, 05:01 AM
If XLR inputs are important to you, then you should know that the HVRA1u doesn't actually have them; it comes with an adapter which plugs into the mini-plug.

mlorenzo
03-02-2006, 08:12 AM
how about Sony HVR-Z1? any comments?

myfriendimage
03-02-2006, 04:36 PM
how about Sony HVR-Z1? any comments?

the Z1u is awesome.

bilgami
03-03-2006, 04:00 AM
i was on the sony site i saw the z1u but i did not see the fx1 which of the 2 is the more prosumer model the z or the f? i know both cams shoot hd but do they do both sd and hd and is there 24 frame in it? since my last post i did some looking into the z1u and i admit im reinterested in the dvcam format a format ive always loved. i was pulled away abit only cuz panny offered 24 frame but now i may reconsider everything now im left wondering how does the dvcam/24 look compared to the dv/24 of the dvx100b?

does anyone know which gives a better picture the 100b dv/24 or the z1u dvcam/24?

also does the z1u need an xlr adapter into mini jack or does it have xlr built into the cam?

KingsReign
03-04-2006, 04:09 AM
i was on the sony site i saw the z1u but i did not see the fx1 which of the 2 is the more prosumer model the z or the f? i know both cams shoot hd but do they do both sd and hd and is there 24 frame in it? since my last post i did some looking into the z1u and i admit im reinterested in the dvcam format a format ive always loved. i was pulled away abit only cuz panny offered 24 frame but now i may reconsider everything now im left wondering how does the dvcam/24 look compared to the dv/24 of the dvx100b?

does anyone know which gives a better picture the 100b dv/24 or the z1u dvcam/24?

also does the z1u need an xlr adapter into mini jack or does it have xlr built into the cam?

The HVR-Z1U DOES NOT have 24P, only that Cineframe 24 garbage. If you can afford a Z1U, then just save a little more money and but the JVC HY-HD100U 720/24PN camera. It looks incredible.

If you need a camera now, HD is not that relative in delivery yet, plus the DVX100B is just awesome. It owns the FX1 and A1 anyday.

If you want the "Video" look, then the FX1 would probably do better due to the resolution, but with XLR's it seems problamatic.

Kevin Lee
03-04-2006, 11:40 AM
I went thru the same questions you did... I really wanted that hd camera... its tiny though and yes comes with the xlr adapter... but because I researched HD editing and the call for it right now.... I went with dvx100b... Just got it 2 days ago, impressive camera, Glad I got it!! If you are gonna go HD wouldnt go sony bro... JVC or HVX panny... a few more bucks but you wont kick yourself in a year when you want those progressive options, That JVC looks sooooo tempting to me.

bilgami
03-06-2006, 05:33 AM
Thanx guys

Zack Birlew
03-06-2006, 08:53 AM
In my opinion, the better overall option would be the A1U in the long run as it does give you HD. The DVX though, is better in low light, not Sony PD-series good but close.

But, if you could, there's better HD options, as has already been mentioned. But the one thing the A1U has over them is its small size and bang for your buck. No camera is perfect and each has their strengths and weaknesses over the others. Just depends on what you want.