PDA

View Full Version : A TREE GREW IN SEATTLE - A grunge rock tribute documentary

Iain
02-28-2006, 09:21 PM
In addition to all the other projects I'm working on, I've decided to start production on my own documentary, following a topic very close to my heart.

A TREE GREW IN SEATTLE is a documentary about a particularly thick vein in the bloodline of Seattle's grunge rock scene, starting with GREEN RIVER, and ending with the recording of TEMPLE OF THE DOG, the Andrew Wood tribute album. As many people who followed the grunge/alternative music activity of that period, the sessions that gave birth to TEMPLE OF THE DOG were the genesis of PEARL JAM.

The independent music community is known for its incestuous nature, with multiple groups sharing the same members, but A TREE GREW IN SEATTLE is more about the bonds between individuals from which some of the most important music of the late '80s and the early '90s sprang - particularly that of Mark Arm, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, Andrew Wood, and Chris Cornell.

It's a different kind of music documentary, not about the struggle of the artist or how the music changed peoples lives, but rather it's a tribute to destinies fulfilled and how lives change music.

I've already started to do research, gather assets, and write the script. With some luck, perseverence, and the support of my friends, A TREE GREW IN SEATTLE will become a reality in the near future.

I've put up a blog to track its progress at http://atreegrewinseattle.blogspot.com.

Shawn Murphy
03-03-2006, 04:36 AM
Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out, I'm in Seattle.

myfriendimage
03-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out, I'm in Seattle.

I run a stock house, were not public yet but if you needed something im sure we could bend the rules

NoPun
03-03-2006, 05:21 PM
I don't live in Seattle, but I love the subject matter. When you get close to production, let me know if you need help.

J.R. Hudson
03-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Sounds really bitchen. Grunge had a huge effect on me musically.

Too bad PEARL JAM only had one good album (Ten) and I used to really dig Nirvana and what they did for RnR, I am sooooo tired of hearing Nirvana songs and the poor sad depressing story of Kurt Cobain and how fame, money and chicks were just too much to bare....

Sniff...

Best Grunge Band ?

Alice in Chains !

Tibby
03-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Too bad PEARL JAM only had one good album (Ten)

Hah!!! Yeah right. While nowhere near perfect "Vitalogy" and "No Code" Have some amazing songs on them. "Yield" is damn near perfect.

Iain,

I too live in Seattle, If you need any help I would love to work on this. I got all my own gear.

AshG
03-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Watch "Hype" decent film about the Seattle grunge scene...

ash =o)

Iain
03-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all your offers of help and assistance. Check out the EVOLUTION OF THE DOG production blog (http://atreegrewinseattle.blogspot.com) for all the updates on how things have been progressing.

AshG>>Already saw "Hype!" In fact, that was one of the first things I did when I got the idea to do this film. I'm also trying to get a hold of Scott Barbour's "Malfunkshun: The Andrew Wood Story"

To everyone else in the Seattle area: I'm coming up the week of April 14th to shoot a scene for the film, and to conduct an interview with a key member of one of the bands I first mentioned.

I'm going to need a pickup truck and a driver for a few days. I can offer gas money and film credit. Is there anyone in Seattle who can help?

JWinter
03-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Include Scott Star from Nasty Habitz (hanged himslf in LA) brillliant singer...dont forget many "grunge" folks were actually glam, metal and punk in the mid to late 80s....often overlooked...fist time i saw andy wood play was in malfunkshun, in a mini skirt opening for metal church and the accused...

FlintMI
03-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Doug Pray's HYPE! is not good, it's GREAT. Essential documentary film on American music and culture, no matter what your tastes. Shot in 16mm. Excellent live footage, interviews with those that were there and lived it. Covers the scene from about 1984-1994, including Cobain's death. Very, very well done. Worth it to own. Best in class.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116589/

Doug also did Scratch, another great doc, on DJ culture. Why he is not well known or making blockbusters is beyond me. His work is fantastic.