PDA

View Full Version : Pimping this contest?

Kholi
02-28-2006, 11:45 AM
John_Hudson mentioned something about posters and campaigning possibly. Is this normally against the rules or has it just never been done?

Thought I'd ask.

Barry_Green
02-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Promoting your film prior to the close of voting is a big no-no in DVXFests, and has resulted in disqualifications before.

Don't promote your pic until voting is closed.

Kholi
02-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Cool. Thanks.

Barry_S
02-28-2006, 12:19 PM
As it stands, you can't promote your film until after the voting ends. The focus of DVXfest is on filmmaking rather than promotion and I don't want to see filmmakers getting into pissing matches with their promotion materials. A filmmaker posting grabs and bragging can also have a demoralizing effect on filmmakers that haven't started or are still working on their films. I've already seen this to some extent. Going into the voting, I want all the filmmakers to be on an even footing to prevent viewers from cherry-picking the films.

Z B Brox
02-28-2006, 12:22 PM
What about posters/banners etc. that promote the contest, but don't mention any specific films? I'd love to see this get more attention. However, I can see how promoting the contest to people you know isn't a whole lot different than promoting your film.

Kholi
02-28-2006, 12:25 PM
I totally understand that. Just wondered if that was going to change for this contest or something. =P

wcs
02-28-2006, 01:24 PM
However, I can see how promoting the contest to people you know isn't a whole lot different than promoting your film.

I think promoting the forum or the contest is completely kosher, as long as you don't put at the bottom of your flyer "including my awesome entry that is really awesome I'm not kidding it's great".

But, I'm not the official word on this. I think it's a question of spirit/intent (the eternal question). It's always ok to get your friends to enter by saying there's this cool forum with this neat contest. Now, the moment you start talking about your film.... then you start getting into promotion.

But, again, I'm not the official word. This is my understanding of the spirit of the rule.