PDA

View Full Version : Comic dorks unite? Whatcha got!

lucidz
02-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Since this fest is superheroes, I figured its in the spirit of such, to name off what you have in your collection.

Comics, action figures, show us your inner dork!

I'll start, everything I have in my sig, I have. Plus more I may list later :P

( If someone posts something really geeky that is :D )

Kholi
02-28-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm not a comic dork or anything, I don't own any comics at all...

But there are more places than comics to pull super heroes.

I hope to see some anime influenced pieces this go around. They tend to have a really deep story that revolve around superheroe's as well.

lucidz
02-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Oh I know that theres more places to get superheroes than comics. I was just saying in the spirit of superhero fest, are there any geeks around here who have anything cool in their collection.

My entry will have nothing anywhere near comic related.

Kholi
02-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Oh I know that theres more places to get superheroes than comics. I was just saying in the spirit of superhero fest, are there any geeks around here who have anything cool in their collection.

My entry will have nothing anywhere near comic related.

I used to read Mutant X! =P But I stole them from my older brother.

MattC
02-28-2006, 09:41 AM
I don't have any comics...

I don't have any action figures....

My ex, ex-girlfriend was a total geek though... You guys would have gone nuts, a really stacked blonde, former stripper, who works as a java programmer. Her bedroom looks like it belongs to a 12 year old boy. She's got the Millenium Falcon hanging from her ceiling, autographed pictures of all the Star Trek people all over, an R2D2 Pepsi thing from a store that she uses as a hamper.... More action figures than you can count.

Her and her family used to go to all those convention things.

But she was hot!

Matt

KevinPeeples
02-28-2006, 09:46 AM
I have way too many action figures to show in one picture. Ive collected mainly Batman and Star Wars. I cant remember how many I have, but Ive got the Batcave, all the batmobiles, spaceships, etc.
I think my oldest piece is the Penguin from the Batman TV show in the 60s, played by Burgess Meredith I think. My cousin also gave me an old Spiderman figure and I cant remember the age on it, but from the looks of it, its very old (by how they use to make action figures).

oneinfiniteloop
02-28-2006, 09:52 AM

My ex, ex-girlfriend was a total geek though... You guys would have gone nuts, a really stacked blonde, former stripper, who works as a java programmer. Her bedroom looks like it belongs to a 12 year old boy. She's got the Millenium Falcon hanging from her ceiling, autographed pictures of all the Star Trek people all over, an R2D2 Pepsi thing from a store that she uses as a hamper.... More action figures than you can count.

But she was hot!

Matt

So why is she your ex then?

Barry_S
02-28-2006, 10:08 AM
My worst fears realized! :cheesy:

EditPhish
02-28-2006, 10:51 AM
LOL...

The only comic book I ever collected was The Maxx

The only action figures are the Beatles (Yellow Submarine) and Jay & Silent Bob... :laugh:

Sorry... :shocked:

lucidz
02-28-2006, 10:56 AM
My worst fears realized! :cheesy:

Your worst fears?!!? It appears I'm the only comic book geek here!!!

Alex DePew
02-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Fear not. There are other comic geeks on this board! Although I have to admit I haven't collected since college. But I still have those Batman would totally beat Cap conversations with my friends.

oneinfiniteloop
02-28-2006, 11:46 AM
I used to have a small collection, but comics left a sour taste in my mouth after I traded Spawn #1 for some Amazing Spider Man issue with a holographic cover!

Doh!:eek:

MattC
02-28-2006, 11:58 AM
So why is she your ex then?

I got tired of waking up and seeing a life-sized cardboard cutout of Princes Leigh pointing a blaster at me...

That, and I'm not geek...

Daniel Skubal
02-28-2006, 12:02 PM
lol stacked blonde stripper who is nerdy? How much hotter could that get?

lucidz
02-28-2006, 12:03 PM
I have spawn 1!

God I'm a dork.

I actually only mainly deal in investment grade nowadays. Also have a small collection of original comic artwork. Thems my babies.

ExtremeSleuth
02-28-2006, 12:05 PM
well i have some bluntman and chronic comics and action figures LOL

oneinfiniteloop
02-28-2006, 12:08 PM
I got tired of waking up and seeing a life-sized cardboard cutout of Princes Leigh pointing a blaster at me...

That, and I'm not geek...

At least it wasn't Luke Skywalker or Han Solo staring back at ya!

MattC
02-28-2006, 12:16 PM
No, but she did have an autographed picture of Chewbacca, framed on her nightstand....

She actually wrote a paper in college (she was a drama major at NYU) about Klingons. She figured since they have two of every vital organ (to protect themselves in battle) then it stands to reason that they might have two penises. She was very hot for Klingons....

lucidz
02-28-2006, 12:23 PM
why was she interested in someone with 2 wangs. Theres only one way I can see that being useful to a female, and thats the DP baby.

(k that was gross)

Alex DePew
02-28-2006, 12:34 PM
why was she interested in someone with 2 wangs. Theres only one way I can see that being useful to a female, and the DP baby

What would a DP do with a guy with two wangs.......oh, not talking about the Director of Photography are we? :)

Daniel Skubal
02-28-2006, 12:41 PM
ROFL DPing and Pulling Focus. Oh god, we've crossed a boundary. Stop. lol

oneinfiniteloop
02-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Now I understand MattC, writing a paper about Klingons is a bit much!

abraham
02-28-2006, 12:48 PM
WATCHMEN!

Anyone know this comic? BUY IT IF YOU DON'T . Such a perfect modern take on superheroes.

(written by Alan Moore)

MattC
02-28-2006, 12:55 PM
EASY guys, she may be an ex, but she's still a great girl!

In any case, I joke but things just didn't work out. If you ever saw my After the Gig, noir short, that's the girl...

Daniel Skubal
02-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Link! haha

SilverWolf
02-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Abraham , I've actually read that. I've read every comic in the public library and we had a huge library. It was three floors.

MattC, I just checked out your website and realized it was Birth of Cool. When I first started browsing the forum my brother sent me this link of a cool website that had some good filming stuff on it and it was yours.
I just found that Ironic

Kholi
02-28-2006, 01:26 PM
>.<

MattC's website isn't work safe. So, I'll be checking it out after work. >.> But you didn't hear that from me.

(It's just the opening image, though. LoL)

MattC
02-28-2006, 01:41 PM
>.<

MattC's website isn't work safe. So, I'll be checking it out after work. >.> But you didn't hear that from me.

(It's just the opening image, though. LoL)

Really??? Are you sure you're looking at the right site? The pinup picture isn't worksafe? wow...

MattC
02-28-2006, 01:43 PM
I really need to update the site with new content and make it more user friendly as well, I'll consider that.

MattC
02-28-2006, 01:46 PM
http://www.birthofthecool.com/films.html

Unfortunately it's on the same page as another long commercial piece I did. So it may take a bit to load, and I don't know the file address for downloading. I'll try to work on that tonight.

Kholi
02-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Really??? Are you sure you're looking at the right site? The pinup picture isn't worksafe? wow...

Yeah, it kinda isn't. At least I wouldn't consider it worksafe but others might.

Though it's a cool picture. =D For obvious reasons.

oneinfiniteloop
02-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Just checked out After the Gig, MattC. I liked it alot, very nice lighting. What did you use for lighting in that?

David Jimerson
02-28-2006, 04:13 PM

But she was hot!

Matt

Yeah, I had a hot redhead girlfriend who was like that.

A bit psycho, but hot.

Blaine
02-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I had a hot redhead girlfriend who was like that.

A bit psycho, but hot.
One of you guys have to work that into a script. :grin: :grin:

David Jimerson
02-28-2006, 04:33 PM
There's "Free Enterprise."

MattC
02-28-2006, 05:31 PM
I used a lowell kit - the DVCreator 55. Not a great kit for that type of stuff, but it works. I'm all about the modifiers, for every light I have up, I probably have three c stands holding other stuff....

lucidz
03-01-2006, 07:43 AM
So do you like your dvcreator 55? What are its pros and cons?

MattC
03-01-2006, 08:00 AM
This has been covered a lot in other threads but to sum up... Yeah I like it for what it is. It is a very portable light kit designed primarily for interviews. If you do doc work and you travel, I consider it a must have. If all you do is narrative film, I'd go for an
ARRI kit though before getting the Lowel. I would also add some small Lowel lights to it, simply because they're really hand to have, but the ARRIS are better suited to that kind of work. The Lowels get a bad rap sometimes because people compare them to higher end studio lights, but that's not what they're meant to be.

That said, you can do anything with pretty much any light. It's all in how you modify the light. That's where the real time (and also expense) comes into play. Reflectors, flags, scrims, c-stands, gels, diffusion, etc. So you can use the Lowels to create a narrative scene, but it's easier with fresnels. But like I said lights like the Lowel Pro light and the Tota are real hand to have in your kit. And I think their Rifa lites are the best softboxes around for ease of use.

Mattt