PDA

View Full Version : Official Definition of a Superhero

Barry_S
02-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Please don't ask us, it's up to YOU to decide. Really. Don't ask me to get geekier than I already am. The term "hero" is thrown around a lot today, so you might want to put the bar a little higher lest you include the really helpful lady at your vet--or at least put a cape on her. :)

Kholi
02-27-2006, 08:56 PM
That's fine... Are you guys going to have the guides posted soon? I know you're busy--

just inquiring.

Barry_S
02-27-2006, 08:57 PM
You mean the rules list?

Kholi
02-27-2006, 09:00 PM
You mean the rules list?

Yeah, pretty much. I've never joined in a DVX contest (or any film competition), and I'd like to know what you guys consider as an entry.

There will be lots of flashy ones, you can already bet on that... but what's going to qualify as superhero or hero?

Some people will interpret what hero means differently than others, which isn't a bad thing.

I'd think superhero is costumed crusader doing the baddies over.

I'd think hero could be that of the above, along with war time hero's.. etc.

Maybe it should be narrowed down to one class? Maybe not?

ecarr
02-27-2006, 10:37 PM
i think of a "hero" as anyone who helps others in an extraordinary way. from superman to x-men, the punisher to the guy from unbreakable. it's VERY broad.

if it would make a cool comic book, i think you're good. :)

however, there was talk of an "anti-hero" in another thread, curious to see how that comes out.

J.R. Hudson
02-27-2006, 10:43 PM
I just dont want to see any good samaritans

Barry_S
02-27-2006, 10:46 PM
How about----Ultra-Samaritan!

Barry_Green
02-27-2006, 10:57 PM
I dunno, doesn't the definition of a superhero mean that they've gotta be, somehow, "super"? I mean, even if it's "Sky High" and your superpower is to turn into a guinea pig -- that's still sort of a superpower, right?

I think Batman's about the only commonly-accepted superhero who doesn't have some sort of innate special capability. Doesn't mean you need a cape & tights (although obviously we're hoping many of the films will have capes & tights!) but -- well, as Barry_S said, it's up to your interpretation. Just seems like some manner of superpower (or at least the delusion of having a superpower) would be a good common thread.

J.R. Hudson
02-27-2006, 11:07 PM
How about----Ultra-Samaritan!

:cheesy:

And I agree B.G.

dakotapod
02-27-2006, 11:15 PM
...or at least the delusion of having a superpower....

Hmmm - That sounds like a fun idea.... :evil:

J.R. Hudson
02-27-2006, 11:16 PM
The delusion

Brilliant !

J.R. Hudson
02-27-2006, 11:25 PM
http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/heroMachine/classic.asp

Nick Adams
02-27-2006, 11:51 PM
umm there's ton's of friggin superhero's without powers... Batman, Batgirl, Iron Man, Nightwing, Bucky, the list goes' on.... I think the sooner a clear definition of the contest's guidlines is made available the easier the writing would be... but if it doesn't matter than good

Brandon Rice
02-27-2006, 11:53 PM
umm there's ton's of friggin superhero's without powers... Batman, Batgirl, Iron Man, Nightwing, Bucky, the list goes' on.... I think the sooner a clear definition of the contest's guidlines is made available the easier the writing would be... but if it doesn't matter than good

I already started writing. I have my first two scenes finished.

J.R. Hudson
02-27-2006, 11:57 PM

What a geek.

heh heh I love it ! :cheesy:

Nick Adams
02-28-2006, 12:07 AM
I'm okay with that... I wouldn't consider myself a geek but god bless the comback of superhero films. I don't actually even own a single comic book, but I do have action figure's and graphic novels and think it's great that this is the next contest.

J.R. Hudson
02-28-2006, 12:09 AM
I meant it as a compliment baby!

Nick Adams
02-28-2006, 12:20 AM
I know.......

Nick Adams
02-28-2006, 12:21 AM
I think anyone with there own herofest banner hours after the announcement probably falls into that special catagory

Kubrick71
02-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Most definitions say Superhero's are endowed with superhuman powers...but I would consider Batman ect. a Superhero. I think a Superhero should just be above a regular hero. For instance, policemen, firefighters, and even doctors are all heros but I wouldnt call them a superhero, they must do or be something 'super' to rise above the normal, regular, heros, but I'm just trying to be technical.

Z B Brox
02-28-2006, 05:15 AM
There are, in fact, a whole crapload of superheroes without any super power. I think it's rpetty much accepted, though, that to be a superhero you have to have some kind of extremely remarkable ability or weapon.

And if their abilities alone don't convince you, then give them an emblematic name/costume and they qualify. ;)

Cinestarproductions
02-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Is this thing called HEROFEST or SUPER-HEROFEST? Big difference, I think.

dakotapod
02-28-2006, 07:37 AM
The delusion

Brilliant !

So if I'm running around in my pajamas getting my ass kicked by strangers then that should count right?

Hmm, sounds like a reality show. Should call Fox.... :cheesy:

Barry_S
02-28-2006, 07:44 AM
It's *called* Hero-Fest, but the genre is Superhero films. The last one was called Sci-Fest but we didn't get any science films. We just like short and snappy festival names. Again, it's totally up to the filmmaker on how they define Superhero. We didn't have an official definition of Science Fiction, but everyone manged to come up with a film that fit the genre.

Z B Brox
02-28-2006, 07:46 AM
Okay, so how about a rule that's something like: Must prominently feature at least one character that A: has a superhuman ability, and/or B: dresses in a stylized costume who, as a requirement, in some manner fights for their own perceived notion of what is "good", "right", or "just".

That pretty much paves the way for Superman, Batman, John Constantine, the Punisher, the X-Men, whatever, but seems to clearly exclude action heroes, police officers, and others who, though heroic, probably shouldn't be deemed "super-heroes".

Z B Brox
02-28-2006, 07:49 AM
Okay, if we really are avoiding a strict definition fine. But that's my definition. And woe to the film that transgresses it when I get my scoring sheet!!!

...Okay, maybe not.

But maybe a little.

If I see one fricking movie about the every day heroes all around us i'm going to puke.

:)

oneinfiniteloop
02-28-2006, 08:14 AM
We can call the next one "Average Joe who does Something Herioc Fest"...maybe an acronymn is in order.

AJWDSH-Fest.

This way everyone is satisfied.

EditPhish
02-28-2006, 08:21 AM
I dunno, doesn't the definition of a superhero mean that they've gotta be, somehow, "super"? I mean, even if it's "Sky High" and your superpower is to turn into a guinea pig -- that's still sort of a superpower, right?

Just, whatever you do, don't let Ted play with it :laugh:

Barry_S
02-28-2006, 08:41 AM
So if I'm running around in my pajamas getting my ass kicked by strangers then that should count right?

Well, since we're running a low budget superhero fest, I fully expect that we'll have a lot of superheros with cheesy or defective powers.

Larry Rutledge
02-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Well, since we're running a low budget superhero fest, I fully expect that we'll have a lot of superheros with cheesy or defective powers.

http://www.nrestudios.com/images/gah.jpg

ExtremeSleuth
02-28-2006, 08:55 AM
http://www.nrestudios.com/images/gah.jpg

LOL!

pabloabad
02-28-2006, 09:02 AM
I propose this time the fx count to the final score. It's too much work to not count.
Pablo

Nick Adams
02-28-2006, 09:09 AM
here's a link to the sundance superhero film " Special " looks pretty funny....
http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2006/STUVWXYZ/Special/trailer.php

Kholi
02-28-2006, 09:19 AM
I think there needs to be a clear definition or a set of guidelines on things that must be included, soon. That way I can start writing. =P

That way everyone's on the same page.

Hope I can join in, sounds like fun.

KevinPeeples
02-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Well even though Barry said that it's up to the filmmaker on how they define Superhero, I still think thats leaving it too broad and giving some people the chance to "cheat" into the genre. For example, a scifest entry had nothing to do with anything scifi except for one line of dialogue that had the word "alien" in it, and somehow that fits into the contest. I feel that if we leave it so broad that "hero" fits in, that it will be a watered down contest with lots of entries that really dont have anything "Superhero" about them. Not saying that any of these films will be bad, it would just be nice to see a contest full of just Superheros, and not a bunch of firemen, policemen, etc, which like others have said, fit into a different category than a Batman or Superman. Just my 2cents.

Kholi
02-28-2006, 10:11 AM
I agree.

It's a bit too broad at the moment. But then again, it was just announced so maybe the official rule-set (or whatever) will be a bit more distinct.

I really think that if it's going to be super hero, it should be just that. At the minimum, a gadget-rich character Ala Batman.

J.R. Hudson
02-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Come on guys

Superheroes.

It's pretty common sense isn't it ? The fireman who rescues children is not a Superhero. The fireman who shoots water from his fists and blows out fires with his mouth is..................................

Why is this even being debated ?

---

This is HERO fest. Think Superman, X- MEN, Batman, Hulk, Spiderman, Fantastic 4

Put on a costume to protect the secret identity
Give them Super extra-ordinary powers
Give them an Alter-Ego Super Villian that messes with them
Give them a Heroine

-

I think anything less than this and someone wasn't paying attention

KevinPeeples
02-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Well I agree with you John, totally, I would just like to hear more distinct guidelines from barry and jarred. Part of me wants to protect the contest I guess. I dont want to sit and filter through 30+films that really have nothing to do with superheroes. I felt that there were alot of films in this prevoius contest that really shoudlnt have been there, and I was somewhat disappointed. I would just love to see 100% superheroes.

Kholi
02-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Come on guys

Superheroes.

It's pretty common sense isn't it ? The fireman who rescues children is not a Superhero. The fireman who shoots water from his fists and blows out fires with his mouth is..................................

Why is this even being debated ?

---

This is HERO fest. Think Superman, X- MEN, Batman, Hulk, Spiderman, Fantastic 4

Put on a costume to protect the secret identity
Give them Super extra-ordinary powers
Give them an Alter-Ego Super Villian that messes with them
Give them a Heroine

-

I think anything less than this and someone wasn't paying attention

It doesn't say superhero fest... it says hero fest. We're asking for clear guidelines? Are we wrong for that? I'd sure like to participate... but I'd like to see something that's not so broad.

That's all we're asking for. Hero is competely different from Superhero.

Z B Brox
02-28-2006, 10:37 AM
It's been clarified that the theme is superheroes, but the contest is called Hero-Fest because it's short and snappy. Same way it's Sci-Fest, though they didn't count science documentaries.

Larry Rutledge
02-28-2006, 10:38 AM
I think this post from Jarred is pretty clear: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=450831&postcount=1

J.R. Hudson
02-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Thank you Z B Brox for making what I assumed was clear.

There you have it fellas. Run with it.

-

And Kevin ? I'll see if we can't nail down some fast guides

Kholi
02-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Please don't ask us, it's up to YOU to decide. Really. Don't ask me to get geekier than I already am. The term "hero" is thrown around a lot today, so you might want to put the bar a little higher lest you include the really helpful lady at your vet--or at least put a cape on her. :)

That's what threw me off. I know what a Superhero is, and what a hero is considered to be. There was no harm in wanting clarification.

Good to know that it's SUPERhero.. and not just, as John put it, good samaritan.

Kholi
02-28-2006, 10:44 AM
By the way--

The Power Rangers fit the bill, right? >=D

Larry Rutledge
02-28-2006, 10:44 AM
I would think a more important question would be what constitutes a spoof? Since, I assume, the no copyright infringement rule is still in place I would think a clarification would be necessary on what is a spoof (of existing super hero lore) and what is copyright infringement (at least as defined by DVXFest).

Z B Brox
02-28-2006, 10:45 AM
By the way--

The Power Rangers fit the bill, right? >=D

WAUGH

Kholi
02-28-2006, 10:48 AM
WAUGH

LoL.

As for what constitutes as--

I'd think that people here would be more inclined to create a totally new and unique superhero, anyway. I know I wouldn't bother with a superman clone, or son of superman storyline.

I really hope I can participate in this one.

WilderWorks
02-28-2006, 10:50 AM
For godsake, stop saying it's too broad! What's the problem with a little wiggle room? If you make the definition too restrictive, you reduce the number of angles people can come at this from. You gotta keep it at the level of genre, which is pretty permissive and vague, or you're gonna end up with 75 identical m ovies about a guy in a cape cornering a guy in a mask on a rooftop. :)

Larry Rutledge
02-28-2006, 10:50 AM
For godsake, stop saying it's too broad! What's the problem with a little wiggle room? If you make the definition too restrictive, you reduce the number of angles people can come at this from. You gotta keep it at the level of genre, which is pretty permissive and vague, or you're gonna end up with 75 identical m ovies about a guy in a cape cornering a guy in a mask on a rooftop. :) Snap! You just gave my plot away...now I'll have to start over :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

KevinPeeples
02-28-2006, 10:51 AM
That's what threw me off. I know what a Superhero is, and what a hero is considered to be. There was no harm in wanting clarification.

Good to know that it's SUPERhero.. and not just, as John put it, good samaritan.

Yeah, I know that if I do enter Im not worried about my film, but just the good of the contest because of the description barry gave might let some people feel that they can get away with more than a true superhero. Was I the only one a little bit disappointed with some of the entries in the Scifest? If its SCI-FI, dont make a drama with only one verbal reference to an alien. Or dont have 2 people sitting in a coffee shop talking about life, and then 10 seconds before the end of the film you hear wind out the window and the character says "Oh, that must have been a superhero". The End. Come on....

Kholi
02-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Eh, I don't think our motive was to restrict it to the point where you couldn't come at the contest from your own angle.

I think we simply wanted to know if we were talking Superhero or Good Samaritan (best way to describe that, I think.)

Superhero isn't a genre, it's not a theme, either. It's more like a platform-- if I got that right.

Genre is Comedy, Action, etc. Which means you get to approach it anyway you want, so long as it has something to do with a Superhero.

Kholi
02-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I know that if I do enter Im not worried about my film, but just the good of the contest because of the description barry gave might let some people feel that they can get away with more than a true superhero. Was I the only one a little bit disappointed with some of the entries in the Scifest? If its SCI-FI, dont make a drama with only one verbal reference to an alien. Or dont have 2 people sitting in a coffee shop talking about life, and then 10 seconds before the end of the film you hear wind out the window and the character says "Oh, that must have been a superhero". The End. Come on....

Exactly. That's why I wanted to ask what was really going on in this contest. I think it's clear that people should be including a superhero in each film. That means, there should probably be an action sequence to showcase your character's ability or abilities.

It's also been said that special-power archetypes aren't the only thing to go on. Batman is considered a superhero, along with Cable from X-men and a few others. Gadget-guys should be fun, too.

Z B Brox
02-28-2006, 10:57 AM
WilderWorks--

There's a *lot* to be done in the realm of traditional superheroes. If you don't believe it, head to a Barnes and Noble and take a quick glance at "The Man Without Fear" by Frank Miller, "Kingdom Come", by Mark Waid, "Marvels" by Kurt Busiek, and "Watchmen" by Alan Moore. Four modern classics of the genre, all with very unique looks at what being a "superhero" can mean.

A superhero story can be science fiction, fantasy, crime noir, comedy, or straight up action. Trust me when I say movies, television, and even most monthly comics have scarcely scratched the surface of the depth this genre can take when it's at its best.

lucidz
02-28-2006, 10:58 AM
They have always been lenient. People should stop gawking at "superheros" and just think of a cool script.

If you have a story about a really cool heroic person that does incredible things I'm sure it'll pass. If you have a guy who can cook waffles with his left buttcheek, just shoot it.

Hell put a diaper on your sister, a whisk in her hand and a pillow case on her back, and she becomes super sis!

It'll be fun!

Kholi
02-28-2006, 10:59 AM
WilderWorks--

There's a *lot* to be done in the realm of traditional superheroes. If you don't believe it, head to a Barnes and Noble and take a quick glance at "The Man Without Fear" by Frank Miller, "Kingdom Come", by Mark Waid, "Marvels" by Kurt Busiek, and "Watchmen" by Alan Moore. Four modern classics of the genre, all with very unique looks at what being a "superhero" can mean.

A superhero story can be science fiction, fantasy, crime noir, comedy, or straight up action. Trust me when I say movies, television, and even most monthly comics have scarcely scratched the surface of the depth this genre can take when it's at its best.

That's inspiring. Now, I REALLY hope I can participate in this. It sucks not knowing a horde of actors and production people. Especially ones willing to go out and play for a few days.

Z B Brox
02-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Hell put a diaper on your sister, a whisk in her hand and a pillow case on her back, and she becomes super sis!

It'll be fun!

Well, I'll try it. But when she beats the holy crap out of me you'll hear from my lawyer.

Barry_S
02-28-2006, 11:02 AM
You guys are all on the right track. Superhero is correct, so sorry if my attempt at humor muddied the pond. Saving a group of kids and their cat from a burning building makes you a standard hero, but doing it 10 times in the space of 4 months along with raising someone's expectations that you'll show up--starts to move you into Superhero territory. A cape or the right costume usually gets you in the door despite the low admission price. Special powers used for good, a lab accident, and a spectacularly evil nemesis--move to the front of the line.

Kholi
02-28-2006, 11:03 AM
You guys are all on the right track. Superhero is correct, so sorry if my attempt at humor muddied the pond. Saving a group of kids and their cat from a burning building makes you a standard hero, but doing it 10 times in the space of 4 months along with raising someone's expectations that you'll show up--starts to move you into Superhero territory. A cape or the right costume usually gets you in the door despite the low admission price. Special powers used for good, a lab accident, and a spectacularly evil nemesis--move to the front of the line.

Sswweeeeeeeeeeettttt.

WilderWorks
02-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Superhero is certainly a sub-genre. Or perhaps a sub-sub-genre. It has its own conventions. Sort of like, there's the Crime Genre, and then, the sub-genre of the Caper-Gone-Wrong.

WilderWorks
02-28-2006, 11:08 AM
WilderWorks--

It sounds like you're diagreeing with me, but in fact, you're agreeing with me. Alan Moore and Frank Miller would have never been published a generation ago, when the "rules" on the genre were more strict. As comic fans have broadened what they'll accept, those new interpretations have found audiences. I'm just saying, keep it lose, leave room for everyone. And for godsake, don't complain when someone gives you room to be creative!

And, I guess I should note, I was very, very happy at the broad interpretations that people took in the Sci-Fest.

EditPhish
02-28-2006, 11:09 AM

It'll be fun!
LOL JTyner and I HAVE footage like this already, but it also includes some fake muscles (socks stuffed in arms) and a paper-plate mask. The superhero? Our daughter at about age 3... LOL

And yes, we fully intend to use it to embarrass the h3LL out of her when she brings her first boyfriend home.... :Drogar-Evil(DBG):

Z B Brox
02-28-2006, 11:38 AM
It sounds like you're diagreeing with me, but in fact, you're agreeing with me. Alan Moore and Frank Miller would have never been published a generation ago, when the "rules" on the genre were more strict. As comic fans have broadened what they'll accept, those new interpretations have found audiences. I'm just saying, keep it lose, leave room for everyone. And for godsake, don't complain when someone gives you room to be creative!

And, I guess I should note, I was very, very happy at the broad interpretations that people took in the Sci-Fest.

Okay, good to hear. It just sounded like you were chafing at the bit at having to do genuine superhero stuff, as opposed to "broader" heroics. Probably imposed the hero/superhero debate on your post unjustly, apologies.

Kholi
02-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I wonder how close the entries will be to Sci-Fest.

Alot of this is really science-fiction... so there could still be elements from the last contest in this one.

Z B Brox
02-28-2006, 01:30 PM
I wonder how close the entries will be to Sci-Fest.

Alot of this is really science-fiction... so there could still be elements from the last contest in this one.

Good question. I think one difference is that for superheroes, sci-fi is often just a means to an end, not the end in of itself. In good sci-fi, science plays an integral part in the themes presented. But a superhero flick can be plenty good if, as in Batman Superman, the "sci-fi" elements are mostly an excuse to give the hero the abilities necessary, and the real meat of the story is mostly unrelated.

Of course, a superhero story CAN be a real sci-fi story: Spider-Man's villains are almost entirely created by scientific experiments, and the themes often relate to the power of science versus a scientists's, and society's, responsibility to use that power wisely. Other superheroes, such as the Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Green Lantern, or the Silver Surfer, are even more firmly entrenched in the realm of science fiction.

On the other hand, Daredevil, at its best, is either hardcore crime noir, legal drama, or badass ninja flick. Hell, you can throw religious fiction in there too (and one of the weaknesses in the movie was its staggering inability to decide which it was going to be. I'd go for crime noir. Trust me, when DD is at its best, Batman cannot touch the mofo for crime noir.)

Then there's Doctor Strange or Thor, where there's no science at all, and the powers are all mystic.

So I guess what I'm saying is, there certianly could be entries that aren't far from sci-fest, but given the wide open playing field I'm hoping we'll see people genre-bending a lot here.

Man, I'm gonna have to toss like a half dozen scripts at Jim just to get my ideas out. And I know Ali wants to write, too, and I'm sure he'll have his own ideas. We need more cameras and more people with Vegas.... ;)

Kholi
02-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Good question. I think one difference is that for superheroes, sci-fi is often just a means to an end, not the end in of itself. In good sci-fi, science plays an integral part in the themes presented. But a superhero flick can be plenty good if, as in Batman Superman, the "sci-fi" elements are mostly an excuse to give the hero the abilities necessary, and the real meat of the story is mostly unrelated.

Of course, a superhero story CAN be a real sci-fi story: Spider-Man's villains are almost entirely created by scientific experiments, and the themes often relate to the power of science versus a scientists's, and society's, responsibility to use that power wisely. Other superheroes, such as the Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Green Lantern, or the Silver Surfer, are even more firmly entrenched in the realm of science fiction.

On the other hand, Daredevil, at its best, is either hardcore crime noir, legal drama, or badass ninja flick. Hell, you can throw religious fiction in there too (and one of the weaknesses in the movie was its staggering inability to decide which it was going to be. I'd go for crime noir. Trust me, when DD is at its best, Batman cannot touch the mofo for crime noir.)

Then there's Doctor Strange or Thor, where there's no science at all, and the powers are all mystic.

So I guess what I'm saying is, there certianly could be entries that aren't far from sci-fest, but given the wide open playing field I'm hoping we'll see people genre-bending a lot here.

Man, I'm gonna have to toss like a half dozen scripts at Jim just to get my ideas out. And I know Ali wants to write, too, and I'm sure he'll have his own ideas. We need more cameras and more people with Vegas.... ;)

That's exactly what I was thinking. There are a dozen and more different ways to pull off a "superhero" flick. Enemies can vary along with situations and altercations.

This leaves things broad as a whole. There's a ton of room for creating an entirely new world and a different kind of superhero movement.

I've seen superheroe's battle it out with all kinds of different baddies. It'll be fun to see who's fighting what in this contest. =)

pmark23
02-28-2006, 07:09 PM
The "problem" with the superhero genre is that 95% of the entries are going to be comedies. Even worse, they'll feature the same gags. Over and over and over and over and over.

To get away from the comedy angle, you have to push and bend the genre a bit. It will take quite a bit of creativity to do something different because Superhero spoofs have been done for so long.

Even a serious treatment will be treated as a spoof because superhero spoofs are so prevalent -- viewers will just assume it's a spoof because they've seen so many of them.

Just yesterday, as I was reflecting on this, Benny Hill came on with a superhero spoof! I was thinking of all the other spoofs: SNL, Kids in the Hall/Four on the Floor, Mad TV (didn't Jim Carrey play some sort of retarded superhero?).

In filmschool, almost half of our student films (shot on glorious super-8) were superhero spoofs. That was PAINFUL!

I think a lot of leeway should be given in terms of subject and treatment if we want to see something other than comedies and groaners.

Z B Brox
02-28-2006, 07:20 PM
This is why I immediately nixed the idea of spoofs when they came up in discussion with a member of our little team. (Note: The member in particular is short, so normally I'd make a joke about his height in relation to the phrase "little team", but he's not here to take umbrage so it's no fun. I just threw this note in so you guys would all see what an insensetive prick I am to my friends.)

But having seen how people treated sci-fi, I think we're gonna get a lot of good stuff. There are people doing really great work here. And, if all else fails, these ones will be slightly shorter than the last ones. ;)

I think the quality of entry will be at least as good as the Zombie stuff. Now *there* is an opportunity for the same movie 50 times, and that didn't happen.

Kholi
02-28-2006, 07:34 PM
The comedic angle on the subject always seems like a cop-out to me. I would never want to make anything that resembled a "spoof" of an existing entity.

I think that a serious and separate approach can be taken to the sub-field (I really don't think superhero is a genre at all, but that's neither here nor there.). I do, however, expect to see a LOT of comedic themed entries. Which isn't to say that it's bad, yet it could get saturated.

Again, I'll state-- I really hope I can participate in this one. Have to find people to join in.

WilderWorks
02-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Personally, I'd rather see a bunch of failed attempts at superhero comedy than a bunch of dark, failed attempts at being deep and moving, which amount to a lot of pretentious drudgery. Luckily, we don't have to make that choice, because they're all going to be awesome, funny and serious both. Right? :)

John C Lyons
02-28-2006, 09:31 PM
here's a link to the sundance superhero film " Special " looks pretty funny....
http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2006/STUVWXYZ/Special/trailer.php
I saw that film, and it's pretty fantastic. Starts out hilarious and goes very serious, unique stuff - if it comes out to the theater you gotta see it.

Kholi
02-28-2006, 10:05 PM
I saw that film, and it's pretty fantastic. Starts out hilarious and goes very serious, unique stuff - if it comes out to the theater you gotta see it.

Wow you know what? That's not the first time someone's had the same idea as I have.

I guess I won't be making my version of the same thing now. LOL. That movie looks REALLY good.

I'm so jealous... another one off the list.

Can't wait to see the entries, regardless of what's going on. The more I think about it, the more I really want to do my own. For the competition, and equally for something fun to do.

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2006, 08:09 PM
THis was the "OFFICAL" definition thread where the criteria was left open to INCLUDE MORTALS, now the pendulem seems to be just SUPER.

I was gonna do something like "A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE"

But I've already been working on my story since this was "OFFICIAL" and there had been no hits updating it.

I'm gonna cross post this in the other two or three threads about this since there seems to be no clear official word and there's no official thread or sticky :)

Based on this defintition I took was developing something about a man who was seen as a hero in his community and then does something that might seem heroic on some level but turns out to just be graphic and awful and at the opposite end of the human spectrum - animalistic anc base and violent an primal

because THIS mod (Barry) in THIS definition left it open to MORTALS with heroic qualities ... in other words someone that commits or is capable of committing an act of heroism!

Now somehow Jarred seems to have made it just SUPER hero's b uy nature of calling it SUPER hero in another thread after Barry's.

Glad it's not two weeks before the contest. I'm also only 65% as interested now.

But maybe Jarred was just being loose with his language when he typed SUPER hero after Barry had just typed hero, and excluded jantors for going to work everyday and commuting 90 minutes each way, but including tellers that stop a bank robbery, a dad that throws him or herself in front of a bullet to save his kid, etc.

So it seems that just because jarred used the word SUPERhero in the "unnoficial announcement" thread and because Barry just used the word hero in the "official definition" thread, there is some disparity that needs to be cleared up.

I, hope it's left to the more broad definition that may include extrordinary mortals/and or movies that deal thematically with what it is / means to be a hero. :thumbsup:

Kholi
03-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Good point, Jack--

And now that the OFFICIAL thread is up I'm feeling this contest might be a tad bit too broad.

Honestly, I think it was more interesting when it sounded like "everyone go out and create an original comic-style hero in an original circumstance and bring him or her to life.". Now it sounds like "Some of you do that, and some of you can just do bullet-stopping-dad."

I don't know-- now it's just confusing. The entries will be scattered, some dealing with superman-type heroes, other's dealing with firemen-types.

This has also forced me to change my story completely, for I was counting on actual superhero power-people kinda deals; two weeks down the drain. :cheesy:

Jack Daniel Stanley
03-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Good point, Jack--

And now that the OFFICIAL thread is up I'm feeling this contest might be a tad bit too broad.

But the official thread is OLD ... so maybe it is infact -- JUST superhero.

But I see no problem in a fest where Vigo Mortenson can rip peoples jaws from their faces just because he's a badass mortal and some other movie where Batman, also a badass mortal, can engineer something to stop bullets, showing with a superman type movie were he is impervious to bullets.

Just like it was cool to have a sci fi where there were aliens, robots, future present, and a growling briefcase.

Kholi
03-12-2006, 08:58 PM
But the official thread is OLD ... so maybe it is infact -- JUST superhero.

But I see no problem in a fest where Vigo Mortenson can rip peoples jaws from their faces just because he's a badass mortal and some other movie where Batman, also a badass mortal, can engineer something to stop bullets, showing with a superman type movie were he is impervious to bullets.

Just like it was cool to have a sci fi where there were aliens, robots, future present, and a growling briefcase.

It's old? Did I miss something? I thought I just saw the OFFICIAL RULES thread up at the top of the Hero's forum?

Am I stupid?

EDIT: DON'T ANSWER THAT!!!! Lol

HunterG
03-16-2006, 07:07 AM
Ok I just got this from Websters.

Main Entry: su·per·hero http://www.m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?superh07.wav=superhero'))
Pronunciation: -"hir-(")O, -"hE-(")rO
Function: noun
: a fictional hero having extraordinary or superhuman (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/superhuman) powers; also : an exceptionally skillful or successful person

Main Entry: su·per·hu·man http://www.m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?superh11.wav=superhuman'))
Pronunciation: "sü-p&r-'hyü-m&n, -'yü-
Function: adjective
1 : being above the human : DIVINE (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/divine) <superhuman beings>
2 : exceeding normal human power, size, or capability : HERCULEAN (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/herculean) <a superhuman effort>; also : having such power, size, or capability
- su·per·hu·man·i·ty http://www.m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?superh12.wav=superhumanity')) /-hyü-'ma-n&-tE, -yü-/ noun
- su·per·hu·man·ly http://www.m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?superh13.wav=superhumanly')) /-'hyü-m&n-lE, -'yü-/ adverb
- su·per·hu·man·ness http://www.m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?superh14.wav=superhumanness')) /-m&n-n&s/ noun