PDA

View Full Version : Non traditional Super Hero movies

Alex DePew
02-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Before I start my project I'm doing some research. So I watched Unbreakable. I figured that was a Super Hero movie that was character driven with a good plot that didn't have tights or special effect (well not too much in the way of SFX).

Upon another viewing I still really like this movie. It is not without flaws (who doesn't realize they've never been sick. Ever! I mean c'mon.). But I still think this movie was extremely well directed and althougth the ending doesn't grab you after the first time (NO SPOILER ALERT!) it still holds up. And I really liked the tone and character development.

So what are people's thoughts on M. Knights Super Hero movie? Also, are there other movies that are similar to this one? In other words a super hero movie with no spandex, no huge SFX and a good story? I'd really like to check out other movies like this since this will most likely be my route.

Also, is there a post count when you get to use a custom avatar? It isn't in the faq and I did a search and didn't find anything.

Z B Brox
02-27-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm a huge fan of Unbreakable. It's nice to see the superhero mythos imposed on a more true-to-life setting. The problem with finding movies like Unbreakable is this: Movies like Unbreakable come out all the time, but only Unbreakable considered itself a superhero movie. But any movie where someone has a special power or remarkable ability they use for good is, essentially, a superhero movie. The Green Mile, for instance. A man with a distinct name and an unusual look has a special power he uses to solve murders and save people's lives. It's only the execution that made it a drama rather than a "superhero movie."

If you're just looking for different takes on what a superhero movie can be like when it isn't about blue-and-red spandex, I suggest The Crow, Hellboy, Batman Begins, the upcoming V for Vendetta, The Matrix, GoldenEye (perhaps to date still the only "self-aware" Bond film), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (with an archetypal superhero "origin story"), The Iron Giant (I'm gonna assume you're already well aware of The Incredibles), Robin Hood (any of them), Hook (or other Peter Pan, though Hook is the most self-aware of these), and perhaps even The Silence of the Lambs. Hannibal Lecter could be argued as a very archetypal "super-villain recruited by a hero to stop an even worse super-villain".

I think the only real difference between a "hero" movie and a "superhero" movie is that in most cases a "hero" of a movie is heroic in an instance, whereas a superhero is somehow held up as an emblem of heroism. Which is why iconography (i.e. costumes and names) is so important to a superhero. Historically we give our heroes and our gods emblems.

MattC
02-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Yes, but what are we supposed to be doing here or superhero?

gabriel
02-28-2006, 05:23 AM
unbreakable is great! if i do something for hero-fest then something like unbreakable!!

Daniel Skubal
02-28-2006, 06:14 AM
Superhero.. 5 minutes.

Thats unofficially official. now get to work.

Da man says superheroes. lol

conrad_johnson
02-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Superheros it is.