PDA

View Full Version : A question regarding layers...

MattC
02-23-2006, 08:35 AM
This may seem like a simple question, but I can't figure out the answer...

I want to merge a set of visible layers to a new layer while keeping the original layers in tact. I use folders of layer sets to organize my work and I like to keep all changes that I've made to an image intact in case I want to go back and make changes or just see what I did. What I've been doing up to now is duplicated the layers I want to use, place them in a new layer set and merge them down. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Matt

kai
02-23-2006, 09:17 AM
That's the way I do it.

Stas_Tagios
03-17-2006, 03:13 AM
This may seem like a simple question, but I can't figure out the answer...

I want to merge a set of visible layers to a new layer while keeping the original layers in tact. I use folders of layer sets to organize my work and I like to keep all changes that I've made to an image intact in case I want to go back and make changes or just see what I did. What I've been doing up to now is duplicated the layers I want to use, place them in a new layer set and merge them down. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

you can merge all visible layers into a new empty layer, while retaining all the individual visible layers (and invisible layers), by creating a new layer, clicking on that layer, then holding down the option key while selecting "merge visible" from the layer menu.

Not sure how this works in conjunction with folders of layer sets (I've never used folders... which I probably should start doing, given the large number layers I usually work with), but it's a great, quick way of creating a flattened version of your image without affecting any of your layers.

Matt Grunau
03-17-2006, 11:13 AM
"" The Copy Merged command makes a merged copy of all the visible layers in the selected area. ""

zoostory
04-13-2006, 08:27 PM
IN PS CS2 - Shift select all layers you want to merge. Hit Apple + Option + E - this will create a new merged layer, leaving all your originally selected layers in tact.

In older PS versions - create a new empty layer, link all of your layers you want to merge together, including the new empty layer. then,click on the new blank layer to make sure the new blank layer is the main link or selected layer (represented by a paintbrush icon and not a chain link icon). Now Hit Apple + Option + E - the new blank layer will now be a merged layer of all the other linked layers, while the originals remain in tact.

Matt Grunau
05-15-2006, 08:56 AM
That method just cam in very handy on a project I am currently workin. Thanks zoo.

Anthem78
05-15-2006, 05:56 PM
That's the way I do it.

Me too. Any faster way would only shave off a few seconds.